Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Lori- Good luck with your race and I know you will rock it. Take it easy the next couple of days so you have plenty of energy for the race and don't forget to carb load on Friday night. Baked potato's are good for that- just not loaded. Looking forward to hearing about the race. One last piece of advice, make sure you hydrate tomorrow night, it will help with your race on Saturday. I did this for my last race and it worked out well.

domaha- Welcome and we hope you come back often. Getting back on track is tricky but doable. What is the one thing you do really well when it comes to making this change? What is one thing you like to do-exercise or food change? What is one you want to try? Take this list and start implementing the one thing really well today. Then in a couple of days start with an exercise you enjoy and add that into your routine. Once you have those under control then you can add something new. Focus on what is working for you then on changing things up.

Susan-Hard to believe that Cyrus is 13. Wishing him a Happy Birthday. Thanks for your support.

Goinstd- Thank you for your support and advice regarding the triathlon. I am still considering it. I do have a swim coach who will teach me how to swim open water and the skills needed to do a triathlon. The other coach does triathlons as well that is a plus.

Karen- Good luck with the grading. It maybe insane with the grading right now but remember the end is in sight and your Seniors will soon be gone.

As for me and the triathlon- I keep having second thoughts about it. I really don't like to be this indecisive about something. I know I should challenge myself but at the same time, I keep wondering why I really want to do this. I will give myself another week to see if I change my mind or find the courage to JUST DO IT. At this point, I think it is my self-doubt holding me back and the fact that I don't want to swim in cold water.

Tonight, I did not feel like working out. I am tired and stressed, when this combination hits the tears come easily then I really can't make choices and all I want to do is curl up. Luckily, I friend answered my text and we had a nice walk around a local park so I managed to get in a trail walk in addition to pavement. It was nicer than being at the gym and inside.

Tomorrow, I took the day off and I am looking forward to hanging out with a friend at the movies, lunch and shopping. It should be a good day even if it rains.

Have a great weekend.

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @Lauriek70 - Fear is understandable and human. Cold water can be daunting but remember it will only be cold until your body warms up, and if you have a wetsuit, it will protect you from the worst of the cold water. You have good teachers available, and whether you know it or not, you CAN do this. I am by no means trying to push you into doing something you don't want to do, but don't let self-doubt get in the way. Sit down and analyze the pros and cons and the facts - what's really stopping you? If it is "just" fear, and you really want to challenge yourself to overcome that, then talk to your swim coaches, and see what they recommend for preparing yourself. You can always do some practice swims with the coaches along for support and training - even if you don't do the race, the practice swims will still help you overcome the fear of the open water, and you will still accomplish a big personal goal. And isn't that what it's all about anyway? It's doubtful that anyone but yourself and your close compatriots will remember that you did the open-water swim 6 months from now, but YOU will remember that you did it (even if only in practice swims) and next time, you won't be so fearful, and you'll have a lot more confidence that you can do it.
    And by the way, WE all believe in you, and whatever you choose to do, we will support you. If you choose to go for it, we will be rooting for you the entire way, and cheer your accomplishments no matter what they are.
    Tracy
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    hello friends, I have been absent for a bit. Today was the beginning of the TOPS weekend retreat, and strangely my leader on Wednesday didn't even say one iota to me about it. She did have no trouble telling everyone else though. She must've called everyone after I had called her on Monday. Spreading the gossip. Many came up to me before the Wednesday meeting saying sorry I wasn't able to attend. This is the one negative aspect about joining groups. The drama of it all. I am just venting, and the issue is of my own making. I should've been more assertive.
  • annasgyal
    annasgyal Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    So I have lost another if only it would keep melting off that way. I am hoping that I can get the opportunity to go walking today.

I will have much more time to answer everyone this weekend
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good Morning.

Speaking of losing mojo, I think our thread has a lost it a little a bit. I know several of us have been really busy lately (me included). I feel like we've lost several regulars in recent months, too. It made me think if we are losing some because of the challenges we've been doing for the last several months or if it was just because the thread was too crazy there for a while. Just my two cents. So, my thoughts for May are why don’t we just simply things? Thoughts?

@Susan~What great pics of Cyrus, they grow up fast don’t they? Hard to believe he is officially a teenager.

@Kris~I’m sorry you've been so sick recently; I hope you are on the mend. Sounds like you’ll get a good amount of walking in at work in the near future—I get in about 3 miles every day at work.

@Karen~Bacon flavored popcorn?! That sounds dangerous! :yum::wink:

@Melifornia~I’m sorry you've been sick too, glad you are feeling better.

@Lori~Good luck with your race tomorrow!

@Laurie~I think an open water swim would make me a little nervous too (I don’t like swimming in lakes because I don’t like the feel of fish nibbling at my feet :wink:). Don’t try to over-think the triathlon, you like challenges and this will be a great challenge for you—your swim coach will make sure your prepared for those open waters. I know you can do it!

@Tom~Interesting how national honesty day, came on our “Thursday Truth” day. :wink:

AFM~Just another busy week, but did get in a couple of bike rides. My friend can’t ride tonight, so I’m going to work out at the gym (maybe do some weights)—have an appointment at the spa there anyway. My parents are coming over tomorrow to help me get the guest bedroom put back together, and then I’m sure we’ll go out to lunch or dinner. Sunday I plan to just chill or maybe do some shipping—this girl needs some spring/summer clothes and who doesn't need another pair of sandals?! :blush:

Have a great weekend! The Mayfest festival is in Ft. Worth this weekend on the river, which usually brings crazy storms but this year the weather is supposed to gorgeous! I hope it holds out--this is the 20th anniversary of the worst hail storm on record that happened during that festival (softball sized hail pommeled the area, injuring a lot of people). My favorite festival, the Wildflower festival (huge music festival), is in my town in a couple of weeks--I can't wait! :smile:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Global Love Day!
    We are one humanity on this planet.
    All life is interconnected and interdependent.
    All share in the Universal bond of love.
    Love begins with self acceptance and forgiveness.
    With respect and compassion we embrace diversity.
    Together we make a difference through love.

Global Love Day

Life is not happening to you. Life is responding to you. ~Author Unknown

Tom
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Welcome to May ... May 1st, often called May Day, has a lot of holidays celebrated on it. It's a celebration of Spring, a day of political protests, a neopagan festival, a saint's feast day, and a day for organized labor. In many countries, it's a national holiday. For me, it's May Pole and dancing ... 'bringing in the may' and it symbolizes the rebirth of mother Nature providing the new season of fertility and growth.

For this May, I wish to bring forth a renewed focus on the way I spend my days. While there is a weight management component, my focus is highly personal and I may not wish to share much of it on such a public forum. However, I can share how I am progressing with my ongoing efforts to trim excess weight and tone muscle.

As no one has made any suggestions for a common 'challenge', perhaps we don't really need a common one after all. We have all been doing our 'own thing' and reporting as is our custom and habit to do ... and in that light, I will focus, once again, on eating a balanced diet that is within 100 calories of that recommended by MFP for a personal my age, weight, height, activity level with a 1-2 pound loss per week.

.... no personals today, again. Except to say I enjoyed the pictures and milestones everyone has reached.
    Talk to you next time as I follow-through.
    Niki

"Obesity happens one pound at a time. So does prevention."
    ~ U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. It is going to be a gorgeous weekend here. I am planning on a doggie walk, lawn mowing, and a thorough cleaning of my truck for the day. We went on a nice hike on Wednesday and as true Washingtonians didn't let the rain and the hail stop us lol. Yesterday was my daughters 23rd birthday and she had a bbq with her friends and then we are having a family dinner on Sunday as well. I weighed in this morning and I am down 1 pound but am going to try and weigh again in a little while since the fingers are a little puffy. I need .1 more pounds to be under three and I really want it lol.

@cblue good luck on your race. I am sure you will do great
    @laurie I think you are smart to take the time and figure out what is making you hesitate on this next challenge. I am a water girl and will get in any body of water I can but my husband has never felt comfortable in open water which is kinda ironic considering what he does for a living
    @kah so how did the painting turn out. I am getting kinda excited for hubby to come home so we can get our painting done

Well dogs are starting to get loud so should probably get them ready for their walk. Have a great day everyone. :)
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Well I am down 12 lbs. since coming back, about 5 weeks ago. To lose 10% of my re-starting total I will need to lose 23 more lbs. That seems like a lot. It has been really going good; my wife is trying hard to cut carbs and has lost weight as well so my eating is much better. This has all been done with change of eating habits. I hope to start walking again and getting outside to work in the yard and garden. My knee issue has really kept me more sedentary so I hope to start moving more soon.

As well as being May 1st. today date is a palindrome 5/1/15 or 5115

A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of characters which reads the same backward or forward. Allowances may be made for adjustments to capital letters, punctuation, and word dividers. Famous examples include "A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!", "Amor, Roma", "race car", "taco cat", "Was it a car or a cat I saw?" and "No 'x' in Nixon".
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey gang! The start of a new month and new motivation. Love it! April was kind of a wash for me for a variety of reasons, but on the other hand, I started dealing with some pretty serious emotional stuff both in myself and in some relationships. All of it is still "in process", and all of it is messy, but I have faith that it's all for the ultimate good, not just for myself but for others.

On a less vague note - has anyone used the Amope foot thingy? (Not quite sure what to call it...) If so, what did you think? I need to try something different for my feet which are prone to dryness and cracking.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit down and pretty overwhelmed tonight. I'm proud of my record on for April, especially the water, but was not rewarded on the scale.
    Cathy is having a boatload of problems with her two foster teens, lots of stress for the family. Found out today that DH again has a bladder infection. So hope we don't have keep dealing with that. The gout meds did not help my foot. I have an appointment with a podiatrist on May 13. In the meantime, my foot really hurts! I walked only 2.5 miles tonight and felt like I was barely making it. I guess I will have to resort to pedaling most of the time for awhile.
    For May I am going to continue with my April goals.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Annr
    Options
    @grandmakaye44 you are being accountable, and that counts for something in my book!
    @melifornia the fact that you are willing to get messy, and confront issues says volumes! The process of the journey (the getting messy) is as important as the end result. Many sweep things under the rug, or jam it in closets...be proud of you coming to terms with your emotional stuff. :-)
    I am dealing with some sort of illness. Feeling drained, and abit warm. So I slept for most of the day. Then awoke really hungry so my husband took my son and I to Dairy Queen. My numbers went thru the roof, but I am full, and still achy. Drinking water, and taking tylenol.
    This weekend I plan on some walking to my garden, and around the neighborhood. My neighbors HUGE white chicken was assaulted by one of the eagles that live nearby. Only thing left of her was some feathers in a neighboring field.... At least it wasn't some passerby that wanted a chicken dinner and was in someones oven... That would be really a sad thing. White-tailed deer are starting to come by the field we overlook. Between the poor cats in the neighborhood that have to put up with the free-range rooster, and some exotic looking chicken....the two bald eagles on the tall tree we see, the deer (no antalope) play in the field, and sometimes Elk...(they are heading up the mountains) its never boring.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, well it's slow on here but no surprise, it's Friday night.
    @grandmakaye44 - sorry about your foot, I'm amazed you walked at all let alone 2.5 miles!
    @melifornia - messy emotional stuff can really throw a roadblock in your path. I've seen the Amope' commercial but I don't know how well they work. I bought something similar awhile back but it didn't work worth a darn. Hopefully the Amope is better.
    @ushkii, congrats on the 12 lbs!
    @Morgori, thanks for the post about Global Love Day!
    @kah68 - enjoy the festival in Ft Worth. Sad to say I've lived in TX most of my life but have been in FW only once or twice, and never to sightsee or do anything really fun. Mayfest sounds like a lot of fun!
    @annr - group dynamics are hard to predict sometimes, sorry about the gossiping. Hopefully things will improve after the TOPS weekend is over.
    @annasgyal - congrats on the weight loss, I know you can do it, it just takes persistence and patience.

AFM - Tonight I am prepping to teach a training class next week, 2 days of teaching and 3 days of in-class OJT. This will be the first time I'm the lead instructor, and my co-instructor has never taught before. I think it will be fine.
    I feel loggy today, and disappointed that I didn't lose more this week, despite being pretty faithful with both my food and exercise. I wanted to lose another 5-10 lbs before my Atlanta trip on the 19th, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I'm going to have to reduce my carbs some more I think, and be more careful with my fats. I went over on fats several times last week, and that's not good.
    May goals - get more exercise in on the weekends.
    log every day (30 of 30 for Apr!)
    within 100 cal of calorie goal every day (+ or -)
    (28 of 30 for Apr)
    take my measurements so that if the scale doesn't
    move, maybe I can track other changes.
    HAVE FUN IN ATLANTA AT THE FAMILY FEUD TAPING!

I'll let you guys know when our show is supposed to air!
    Tracy
  • Annr
    Options
    heehee..I have never known anyone on Family Feud before! @GOINSTD12 you are practically ROYALTY girl!! :-) Yes tell us the air date...
    I like the phrase 30 of 30 for May! I have some frames that I sprayed with chalkboard paint....that is a worthy phrase to put up!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello All,
    Went back to look at old posts tonight. Yes, indeed our rank and file have changed quite a bit. There are some MIA and lots of newlings. My first post on the thread was early August of last year. My life has been richer for knowing you. I feel I have reaped so much here and have given so little.

No sleep for me tonight. My mind is rolling. Hubby and I had a fight tonight and I think I have just had it with him. I am tired of the game. He will never be the partner I need and is not willing to look at what we need to do to make our marriage work for both of us. I know that these decisions should not be made in anger so I will hold off for a few days.

My sister is having a garage sale tomorrow and I am shedding a lot of clothing. I am so glad to say I am done with them. Even my shoe size has changed. I have several pair that are too big. Some were pretty nice and I am sad to let them go. Hopefully I can make a few dollars to do some shopping. The Birkenstocks I bought last summer do not fit right and I have to buy some different sandals.

Today was a rest day and so I am feeling fidgety. Saturday I pick up my race packet. I am so very excited. Start is 7:30AM Sunday. I drove by the site today and it looks HUGE. There are 4 waves for the start. The lake flies have started and part of the race is along the lake. I have been urged to bring a bandana to wear on my face so I do not have to eat too many.

xtfbvk4q1o4s.jpg

These are truly awful to live with. They were introduced here by a biologist from the local university. They originate in Lake Tanganyika, Africa. They hatch in several waves that each last about a week. They have no mouth parts and so do not bite. But in these numbers they do smell when they die. They also leave behind a yellowish goo.

Tracy - I hope you enjoy every minute of your trip.
    Annr - There is so much riding on your shoulders, take care of yourself.
    Melifornia - This emotional baggage is never easy, be gentle with yourself.
    As for the foot thingy, I am a dedicated user of the original Ped Egg. I think they work really well. I thoroughly "grease" up my heels with Aveda Foot Relief and I cut the toes off a pair of socks and wear them to bed. In the morning I use the Ped Egg and sand off as much as I need to and my feet feel like a million bucks!
    Kaye - Good luck with the Podiatrist. Mine is an angel in disguise. Cured my Plantar Fasciitis in less than a year. I suffered in both feet.
    Ushki - Yippee on the 12 pounds, you are doing so very well. Just suggesting, but maybe a massage would help with the lingering pain.
    jtconst - I am so very sorry I do not know your name. I am sure you posted it here sometime but I missed it. Funny to know we were pregnant at the same time. My son turned 23 on the 23rd this month.
    Niki - Another suggestion, for May how about a different type of challenge. What if we each tried to focus on one positive thought each day. One "gem" we could take with us on our daily journey.
    Tom - As always you find a thought that speaks to me. Thank you for the love.

Love to all,
    Lori <3
    Yowsa, this is the longest post I've done in a very long time.

Also - Just wondering if anyone has heard from Robin/Ellen. If anyone knows how to contact her please let me know. Or tell her I would love to hear from her.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Attitude is a choice. Think positive thoughts daily. Believe in yourself. ~ Pat Summitt, Head coach of the ladies Tennessee Vols basketball team
    I love this quote, makes me believe I can be what I want to be.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm back!

And my Saturday success is... I'm back. I spent a little while feeling really down, thinking 'oh gosh I've put so much weight back on and I'm not exercising and I'm eating dreadfully and it's all gone horribly wrong...

...so what's the solution? Get back to MFP, get logging, and go find Robin's thread because I know you guys will help me to focus!

Hope you're all having a brilliant weekend, and I'll be here tomorrow. There are 3 thousand new messages since I last posted, so I am not going to catch up. I'll just dive in here and start personals tomorrow.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

Welcome back BohemianCoast!

Happy Kentucky Derby Day!
    Kentucky Derby

If you have nothing to be grateful for check your pulse. ~Author Unknown

Tom
  • Annr
    Options
    My Saturday success is that even having Egg's Benedict for lunch today...I am not too over....I will work in my garden today so exercising abit. My husband took me out to a Civil War re-inactment group at Fort Stevens down the street from the complex...I let them flood me with info on their group, (hey they have to practice getting info out to the public). My husband the Naval man, got a kick out of hearing some discrepencies here and there, but on the whole the gentlemen did I fine job of explaining this and that. I personally, will be lying out on my balcony ala naturale' because I can, and I have a quilt over the railing. Coming up from California, where our family was in the nudist lifestyle, being here in Oregon it has been a 360 change. Granted we partook at a resort designed and regulated by the nudist world, I just didn't spuratically disrobe down main street! HAha... Miss taking my last son to the resort, (we went most weekends because it was 1 hr from home). He lived the nudist kids life from 4yrs old to about 11 yrs old. He learned what real people look like, and had no issues with nudity. Actually it helped all my sons self-images, to be kids and just run in the sun, and to not judge anyone. As you can see, I still miss that environment. My husbands issue of getting a new liver was top priority, and so we left that world behind. I suppose I could still research resorts up here in Oregon, but with the weather...I would freeze my pieces parts off...I am such a whiner...Everyone have a glorious weekend!!!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi y'all - and a Happy Kentucky Derby Day to all the horse race fans. I'll be watching intently to see who wins this Run for the Roses and moves on to the Preakness on May 16th. I grew up with a nice racetrack here and it seems everyone went to the races, but it is long gone!

Thanks Lori, for reminding me I haven't logged in 9 days. May 1st came and surprised me - who remembers May Day flower baskets? Such a forgotten custom....

I am down 1 pound for the month of April. I do consider that progress, and I have logged my food for the day.

Welcome back to the Brit! Sure missed you.......glad to have you around again and don't worry about anything you did - heck , I was on the ground dragging behind that old wagon for a loooong time myself and gained a lot of weight back, but as Lori said, we are always moving forward. In fact, no matter what we do, we cannot fight against it, we are ALWAYS MOVING FORWARD.

WELCOME TO MAY. NOT A CHALLENGE MONTH.
    JUST WORK AT YOUR OWN PACE.
    like Grandma Kaye says: Onward and downward!