Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    I have decided to give up flour and sugar foods I know that also will mean I am giving up processed food since it will be one of the culprits...Anyone out there done this and what has your weight loss success been?

I cut out all processed foods and I dont eat anything with added sugar. I am not afraid of sugar I am just doing this because I want to. I eat foods that have sugar in them naturally. I have lost 27lbs since Feb 23rd but I count my calories daily and exercise as much as i can. I walk up hills for my workouts. I know lots of people would disagree with me about what I eat but It really works for ME.

what would be the difference between added and natural sugar, that makes you avoid one and eat the other?

foods with naturally occurring sugars like fruit usually mitigate the effects with fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients, making it more difficult to overconsume.

Thanks, but I did not ask about fiber, I asked about sugar...

What's your question then?

what is the difference between natural sugar and added sugar? If your answer is "fiber" then the answer is there is not a difference. Because I can eat added sugar and still consume fiber, or if I want I can eat fiber with my added sugar...

Finally, I was asking the other poster and you decided to jump in ...but please, continue.

My answer was "fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients," among other things, like water, for example...

Despite common misconceptions, we really don't know it all when it comes to nutrition. You can't substitute an apple for water, fiber supplement, vitamin, and some sugar. It's not that simple.

Eating foods with naturally occurring sugar is different from eating foods with added sugar in their effects on the body's complex physiology, hormonal balance, etc.

If you don't believe this, that's fine. Don't preach what works for you. Be humble and open-minded. Nobody knows it all. And if you know just a little bit, you're much more likely to think you know it all!
    Your answer about how the sugar was different was all about things other than, you know, sugar. He didn't ask how a spoonful of sugar was different from a handful of strawberries. You do understand how completely non-responsive your answer is, right?

Then he's fishing for something else. Let's just hear him preach it already.
    He's fishing for an answer to the question he asked, not the one you seem determined to answer. Your evasion tactic is at least as toxic as anything else in this thread.

OOOOOooooOOOOOoOOOO I get it! Natural sugar and added sugar the same molecules. Yes *nods head* They are the same molecules. If you distill the sugar from the natural foods, it will be the same chemical.

It is exactly the same, and your body breaks down those molecules the same way. Whether or not it's "natural" has no effect in the digestion whatsoever. Your body doesn't care.

yup, of course it does... if it's processed out of the whole food. Otherwise, there's a whole host of other confounding variables to the equation. It's not that simple... but I'm sure the sugar lobby is so happy you think so ;)

Ah yes, the old "I really have no idea what I'm talking about so I'll just assume you're a shill for big sugar and smile condescendingly" game. Good old bait and switch.

So since the apple has fiber and vitamins, the sugar in the apple is different than any added sugar. What if I eat a fortified fiber bar or fortified fiber cereal? How is the sugar in a Fiber One breakfast cereal any different than sugar in an apple? I can't separate the sugar from the cereal any more than I can separate it from an apple.

Also, if you juice an apple to remove the fiber, then is the sugar left in the juice still superior than the equivalent amount of sugar in a candy bar?

Juice is processed. You're removing the whole food. Yeah, there's big difference. Context matters.

You people are toxic. I'm done here. Enjoy your added sugar!
    But wait:

Why is the granulated sugar on the less-than-fully-ripe strawberry, along with the sugar, fiber, and magical ingredients already in the strawberry different than the sugar, fiber, and magical ingredients in the completely ripe strawberry if the two contain exactly the same amount of sugar? Because the granulated sugar is processed? Because it's on the outside of the strawberry? Why? I didn't remove the whole food. What's the difference?

I doubt she will be back, since she clearly has nothing valuable to add to the discussion and her views were challenged with science.

Also, you are clearly a shill for the sugar industry. We must be shilling together.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    yeaaahh.. you should never say you're going to do anything other than eat whatever you want at a caloric deficit on the forums. bad bad idea
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Are mashed potatoes inferior to baked, because the mashed are processed?

The baked potato is clearly better until you process it by cutting it up to eat it. That's why I eat the whole potato at once, like a python.

This is clearly the only way. Otherwise the glycemic load is too high and any processing produces toxins.
  • mynameisoliverqueen
    mynameisoliverqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sakismom wrote: »
    I cut out all white sugar and flour and within 2 weeks I lost 13 pounds. I switched to all whole foods, clean foods, I am not hungry and the inches are flying off. The processed food is the culprit, even salt has sugar in it.

No doubt the doubters will be saying that it is not possible. I have done similar myself. Cut right down on sugars and lost 16lb in 4 weeks without being hungry, but that is not possible according to all the "experts" on here that have nothing better to do with their time than post sarcastic and insulting posts to all those that are not in their little clique, that are all sheep to each other......... I would take advice from a dietician and nutritionist (both who have told me the exact same thing that has worked for me even though I am not diabetic or anything like that).
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited May 2015
    Options
    zmusic wrote: »
    I substitute honey for sugar in some recipes, but I don't know of a substitute for flour. The only recipe that I still use sugar in is KPaul's Shrimp Creole.

I only diet for 3 weeks continuously, then I take a 1+ week(s) breaks where I still have a healthy diet but I do eat a little sugar, but I eat flour whether dieting or not.

Honey is no better for you than table sugar. As a matter of fact, for a diabetic, substituting honey for sugar is a bad idea.

Honey is literally just sugar.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I cut out all white sugar and flour and within 2 weeks I lost 13 pounds. I switched to all whole foods, clean foods, I am not hungry and the inches are flying off. The processed food is the culprit, even salt has sugar in it.

No doubt the doubters will be saying that it is not possible. I have done similar myself. Cut right down on sugars and lost 16lb in 4 weeks without being hungry, but that is not possible according to all the "experts" on here that have nothing better to do with their time than post sarcastic and insulting posts to all those that are not in their little clique, that are all sheep to each other......... I would take advice from a dietician and nutritionist (both who have told me the exact same thing that has worked for me even though I am not diabetic or anything like that).
    I don't think anyone said it wasn't possible. People would say it isn't necessary, absent a medical condition. Surely you see the difference between "impossible" and "not required."
  • mynameisoliverqueen
    mynameisoliverqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options

A lot of people are leaving MFP because of the clique of so-called experts that think they know better than dieticians or nutritionists because they have nothing better to do than post on the forums. You are correct they are toxic and MFP won't do anything about them......
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    I have decided to give up flour and sugar foods I know that also will mean I am giving up processed food since it will be one of the culprits...Anyone out there done this and what has your weight loss success been?

I cut out all processed foods and I dont eat anything with added sugar. I am not afraid of sugar I am just doing this because I want to. I eat foods that have sugar in them naturally. I have lost 27lbs since Feb 23rd but I count my calories daily and exercise as much as i can. I walk up hills for my workouts. I know lots of people would disagree with me about what I eat but It really works for ME.

what would be the difference between added and natural sugar, that makes you avoid one and eat the other?

foods with naturally occurring sugars like fruit usually mitigate the effects with fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients, making it more difficult to overconsume.

Thanks, but I did not ask about fiber, I asked about sugar...

What's your question then?

what is the difference between natural sugar and added sugar? If your answer is "fiber" then the answer is there is not a difference. Because I can eat added sugar and still consume fiber, or if I want I can eat fiber with my added sugar...

Finally, I was asking the other poster and you decided to jump in ...but please, continue.

My answer was "fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients," among other things, like water, for example...

Despite common misconceptions, we really don't know it all when it comes to nutrition. You can't substitute an apple for water, fiber supplement, vitamin, and some sugar. It's not that simple.

Eating foods with naturally occurring sugar is different from eating foods with added sugar in their effects on the body's complex physiology, hormonal balance, etc.

If you don't believe this, that's fine. Don't preach what works for you. Be humble and open-minded. Nobody knows it all. And if you know just a little bit, you're much more likely to think you know it all!
    Your answer about how the sugar was different was all about things other than, you know, sugar. He didn't ask how a spoonful of sugar was different from a handful of strawberries. You do understand how completely non-responsive your answer is, right?

Then he's fishing for something else. Let's just hear him preach it already.
    He's fishing for an answer to the question he asked, not the one you seem determined to answer. Your evasion tactic is at least as toxic as anything else in this thread.

OOOOOooooOOOOOoOOOO I get it! Natural sugar and added sugar the same molecules. Yes *nods head* They are the same molecules. If you distill the sugar from the natural foods, it will be the same chemical.

It is exactly the same, and your body breaks down those molecules the same way. Whether or not it's "natural" has no effect in the digestion whatsoever. Your body doesn't care.

yup, of course it does... if it's processed out of the whole food. Otherwise, there's a whole host of other confounding variables to the equation. It's not that simple... but I'm sure the sugar lobby is so happy you think so ;)

Ah yes, the old "I really have no idea what I'm talking about so I'll just assume you're a shill for big sugar and smile condescendingly" game. Good old bait and switch.

So since the apple has fiber and vitamins, the sugar in the apple is different than any added sugar. What if I eat a fortified fiber bar or fortified fiber cereal? How is the sugar in a Fiber One breakfast cereal any different than sugar in an apple? I can't separate the sugar from the cereal any more than I can separate it from an apple.

Also, if you juice an apple to remove the fiber, then is the sugar left in the juice still superior than the equivalent amount of sugar in a candy bar?

Juice is processed. You're removing the whole food. Yeah, there's big difference. Context matters.

I will. I have a cookie planned for tonight. I'll savor every bite. That's after a day of cottage cheese and veggies, bean pasta with more veggies, and plain yogurt and raspberries.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

A lot of people are leaving MFP because of the clique of so-called experts that think they know better than dieticians or nutritionists because they have nothing better to do than post on the forums. You are correct they are toxic and MFP won't do anything about them......

Ah yes, because if there's anything the world needs today it's more misinformation and less science.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Are you saying you do have something better to do than post here, but you're neglecting it right now? I'm not sure that makes you a great one to be taking advice from either.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I might actually get a bingo out of this thread.

I even have the "complains about the people on the boards while being extremely condescending in a passive aggressive way" post.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

The baked potato is clearly better until you process it by cutting it up to eat it. That's why I eat the whole potato at once, like a python.

Do you have a happy husband?

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Exactly how many of the over 75 million members have left, due to issues they've had from the forum area? Source please.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

200.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you mean you eliminated calorie dense foods with sugar and lost weight??? Why do you think that would be surprising.

what the "experts" are going to say is that sugar had nothing to do with it, cutting back on calories did.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be done.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

HAHAHA
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Huh...in the 4+ years I've been here I've noticed many of the extremely knowledgeable and most helpful posters no longer post on the board because they got sick of picking up strikes for posts that were completely factual but not what a particular poster wanted to hear. It wasn't worth the trouble to them, so they just quit.

Tell me, if this "clique" is so toxic, why won't MFP do anything about them? You obviously have some inside info since you know so many people are leaving.

Also, how would you know that none of these "experts" have any training in nutrition? Is it because they say what you don't like or may disagree with? I mean....some of the stuff people post on here from their nutritionist or dietitian...I'd rather take my advice from these "experts" than some of the "certified" ones..
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

From what I've seen some people come on these boards saying that nutritionists have told them?

A good discussion here on the forums trying to flesh out actual science from pseudo-woo-science is a good, healthy thing.

Let me tell you what's REALLY toxic.

The magical thinking that if you just eat the "right" way, you're safe.

You'll dodge every medical bullet.

You'll naturally be the weight you want.

Well guess what?

That's just not true. Issues of health and weight are far more complex than the internet gurus touting certain ways of eating would have you believe. And you can still get sick and you can still not lose weight even if you do everything "right".

You know when the age of magical thinking is? Childhood. It's tempting to return to the security of certainty, the trust in "true belief", but being an adult means knowing there are no guarantees in life.

This .... this belief.... this certainty... is a faith of sorts.... and it covers itself in a veneer of science with no real proof, which makes itself all the more enticing and easier to fall prey to ... and harder to separate from real fact.

So? Stay and learn and have your eyes opened, or leave and be convinced we're all bullies and learn the hard way eventually.

Faith or fact? Your choice.

This discussion has been closed.