When should a school intervene? Never? (school lunch issue)

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    MikaMojito wrote: »
    And to the guy who said teachers should stop trying to be a doctor, therapist or social worker. We would love to! Trust me. But if we don't reach out, nobody will. We owe it to the kids to try to help them, even if it's not strictly our line of work.
    I never really gave much thought to teachers until someone I know began their career and began telling me their stories.

It's such a complex, underrespected, and underappreciated profession. Thank you for being able to handle everything.

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher in the UK and we have a legal responsibility to report this. I would then have to call the parents in for a meeting and explain the detrimental impact, not only on their health, but also on their learning. But again, that's the legal requirement of the child protection laws in the UK, so I would suggest you find out what your local authority's policies are an act accordingly. All the other great ideas above about doing some whole-class health lessons definitely wouldn't go amis either, and they usually hit home when kids realise they aren't doing the 'normal' thing, when they hear others are disgusted by what they have to say. This happened when we learnt about how to care for your teeth, and one of my kids (who does have the worst teeth I have ever seen on a 7-year-old) ended up upset in the lesson, only to come in the next morning and show me her new toothbrush Mummy let her buy last night. She was so proud of it, so I would highly recommend a few sessions :)
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm with the people that say a "Did you know that xxx is eating this for breakfast?" Since the student is late to school breakfast, the parent may not even realize that the kid is eating something not provided by the school.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about her overall health since she is getting school lunch.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If the kid is eating the same crap (it's not food) every day, there's a problem.
    Unless there are obvious signs of malnutrition, though, it's not an immediate one.

Maybe it's something that can be solved by educating the kid(s) as a class exercise,
    maybe it's something the school / district social worker should address with the parents,
    maybe CPS needs to be involved for more in-depth / drawn-out education of the family, plus monitoring for
    improvement, plus helping them connect with the resources they might need (SNAP, for example).

How about getting the kid into the school breakfast / lunch program?

Other than educating every kid in your class, check out the district policies about reporting child neglect. Maybe
    check with the school / district social worker about if this constitutes something which needs to be reported.
    You're a mandated reporter.

Is there any way to provide a bowl of fruit in the room? Let kids have a piece when they want. Maybe there's a
    community group which could fund it? Probably wouldn't take much, I'd guess less than $20/month. Or see if the
    cafeteria (or school budget) could help.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    People like you are the ones who have obviously found your calling as a teacher. It's a tough job, one I could never do. Thanks for caring so much!

Thank you but I'd like to stress that I work in a rural area at a school with kids from fairly affluent families. There are no hard drugs, hardly any crime.

Your thanks need to go to those teachers who work in underpriviledged areas where parents honestly can't afford to feed their kids. Once or twice I've bought kids lunch because they'd forgotten theirs and were hungry. There are so many schools in so many countries where there are teachers standing in front of classes where not a single child has had breakfast. Where teachers don't know how many kids have got guns at home or drugs in their bags.

I love what I do but I'd never dare compare my work to theirs. And to the friendly person who thanked us teachers for being able "to handle everything". We can't. We try, we fail. And at some point many of us give up because we can't take it anymore. But feeling appreciated by society sure helps.

For those who want to help more: ask at your local school if they need volunteers or if they take donations.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    If the kid is eating the same crap (it's not food) every day, there's a problem.
    Unless there are obvious signs of malnutrition, though, it's not an immediate one.

Maybe it's something that can be solved by educating the kid(s) as a class exercise,
    maybe it's something the school / district social worker should address with the parents,
    maybe CPS needs to be involved for more in-depth / drawn-out education of the family, plus monitoring for
    improvement, plus helping them connect with the resources they might need (SNAP, for example).

Other than educating every kid in your class, check out the district policies about reporting child neglect. Maybe
    check with the school / district social worker about if this constitutes something which needs to be reported.

Is there any way to provide a bowl of fruit in the room? Let kids have a piece when they want. Maybe there's a
    community group which could fund it? Probably wouldn't take much, I'd guess less than $20/month. Or see if the

how are doritos "crap"???- the two main ingredients are corn and oil.

and how does the home grown version of a candy bar help the situation?
  • MKEgal
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote:
    in the breakfast situation i would collect the redbull and cheetos and give them an apple and a milk. Or a banana and a yogurt. something to that effect.
    rainbowbow wrote:
    generally the parents of these children are obese individuals themselves.
    You can't expect the education of the child (who doesn't purchase or prepare their food) to make
    those choices them self. The responsibility falls on the parent. If they aren't having that brought to
    their attention, they have little motivation to make the changes.
    I don't know why this just came to mind, but one day I was having lunch in a restaurant with my
    son and his adopter (the woman; both she & her husband are obese) and she couldn't come up with
    one thing on the menu he'd accept (he was maybe 3?).
    I looked at the salads / appetizers and asked if he'd like to have a plate of fruit... which he
    immediately accepted!
    She looked astonished. Obviously had never considered healthy food.
    One meal of fruit isn't going to offset all the crap they usually bought (at that point they were heavily
    into fast food), but hopefully it changed both their minds a little.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    It's not your business........I wish teachers would stop trying to be doctors, therapist and social workers.

They barely have control of their class.

Hardly any wonder if kids are allowed to consume energy drinks. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Then establish an official school policy. Inform the parents of the policy. Enforce the policy.

That's the right way to do it.

Onesie, twosie ad hoc "enforcement" is a recipe for disaster.
    I don't disagree with you on that.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    However, none of the above has anything to do with someone stepping in and parenting other people's children for them. It's nunya. Take care of your own kids.

Excuse me but I do take care of my kids and some that don't have food to eat. I take care of their parents too. Where I am the people still believe that it takes a community to raise a child. I share my food with the less privileged so as not to waste it. I give water to those I see nearby who are thirsty and don't have any money to buy for themselves. I am no Mother Theresa but I try my best to help out especially with the kids in the school my kids attend. Sometimes other parents need a hand sometime and helping is not illegal, that's why there are social workers and councillors.

Yes, well, keep taking care of your kids. It's not your responsibility or your right to take care of everyone else's, or to condemn them for what you perceive as a lack of care, unless there is real abuse or neglect occurring. Doritos are not neglect. They are delicious.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher in the UK and we have a legal responsibility to report this. I would then have to call the parents in for a meeting and explain the detrimental impact, not only on their health, but also on their learning. But again, that's the legal requirement of the child protection laws in the UK, so I would suggest you find out what your local authority's policies are an act accordingly. All the other great ideas above about doing some whole-class health lessons definitely wouldn't go amis either, and they usually hit home when kids realise they aren't doing the 'normal' thing, when they hear others are disgusted by what they have to say. This happened when we learnt about how to care for your teeth, and one of my kids (who does have the worst teeth I have ever seen on a 7-year-old) ended up upset in the lesson, only to come in the next morning and show me her new toothbrush Mummy let her buy last night. She was so proud of it, so I would highly recommend a few sessions :)

I'm interested.....on what grounds. What makes this something you are by law bound to report? The energy drink?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Why do people keep ignoring the red bull and pretend the only thing that matters are the doritos?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    However, none of the above has anything to do with someone stepping in and parenting other people's children for them. It's nunya. Take care of your own kids.

Excuse me but I do take care of my kids and some that don't have food to eat. I take care of their parents too. Where I am the people still believe that it takes a community to raise a child. I share my food with the less privileged so as not to waste it. I give water to those I see nearby who are thirsty and don't have any money to buy for themselves. I am no Mother Theresa but I try my best to help out especially with the kids in the school my kids attend. Sometimes other parents need a hand sometime and helping is not illegal, that's why there are social workers and councillors.

do you find the wind messes up your hair at that altitude?
    :lol: I am stealing this for a future situation. Love it.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Why do people keep ignoring the red bull and pretend the only thing that matters are the doritos?

well I already gave my opinion on that so I guess I mentally discounted it in the conversation. I don't think said child should be drinking red bull- but I don't think they should be drinking ANY high sugar drinks- esp not for breakfast- but less for health reasons and more for the fact they are likely to be disruptive in class.
    :lol: I am stealing this for a future situation. Love it.
    steal away. ;)
  • MKEgal
    edited May 2015
    Options
    elizamae wrote:
    This little one is getting herself out the door in the morning - her mom works nights and isn't up
    in the morning. She likes her breakfast the way it is and isn't on time for the school breakfast
    Is mom aware that the kid is eating junk every morning? How about mom stop buying junk, buy healthy food, so
    the kid has a choice of healthy things for breakfast? Could they pack a lunch the night before, after cleaning up
    dinner/breakfast, before kid does homework & goes to bed while mom goes to work? Is there another relative in
    the picture who could help the kid? (No dad?)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

Because Red Bull is awesome and it gives you wings?

Or probably because most of us realize that the particular food items in this particular example are not what is of primary importance here. The issue at hand is the implied responsibility, or lack thereof, assumed by a teacher in any situation such as this.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options

Exactly, and no one ever said doritos are bad.This child is a young child and red bull can have harmful side effects. Lots of articles online to prove that.

Every country has its own set of rules and regulations that teachers and those in childcare have to adhere to and if the school board find out they have an issue and didn't do something, speak to the parents or talk to the child or report to the correct authority can be dismissed for putting the child at risk even if it turns out the situation is only a minor one.
    Teachers are responsible for the holistic development of the children in their care during school times and nutrition, hygiene and abuse and neglect are included in the holistic development.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Or probably because most of us realize that the particular food items in this particular example are not what is of primary importance here. The issue at hand is the implied responsibility, or lack thereof, assumed by a teacher in any situation such as this.

You feel the item that could put the child into cardiac arrest on the playground is of less importance?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

You feel the item that could put the child into cardiac arrest on the playground is of less importance?

I admit,the energy drink is disconcerting in a kid so young.