1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day too and if you pick your food right, it's perfectly doable.

For example what I ate today:
    Breakfast: a pancake made of two eggs, a banana and some cinnamon.
    Snack: an apple
    Lunch: roasted veggies with chicken and some rice (60gr rice, 100gr of chicken and almost 400gr of veggies cause I like quantity/big meals for the feeling of being full) with a bit of cream cheese
    Snack: 125gr greek yoghurt
    Dinner: homemade spaghetti with loads of vegetables

Weighed everything (and double checked the kcal and always went with the heighest input) and it's a total of 1189 kcal. And believe me, not hungry whatsoever. If you want some inspiration, you can always look into my diary. Might want to ask for translations, cause everything is in dutch :)
  • SigridKayaAndersen
    SigridKayaAndersen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don´t think it´s too little...but then again, I burn between 1000 and 1800 calories on excercise every day. So I get A LOT extra and am never hungry. My opinion....the healthy way to go down to that low calory goal is through excercise. You can burn a whoooole lot of calories just by working out twice a day. And that may seem a lot for some of you (I didnt work out at all just some months ago and if someone had told me to work out twice a day I would have thought they re crazy), but if you implement excercise slowly and then step it up, set prioritys, it is very achievable and doable. Side effect...I feel fantastic and can see my body transform! Not only I lose fat, I gain muscels :)
  • hmck123
    hmck123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200/day goal because I'm short and about 140 lbs. It's so annoying, particularly eating with friends because you can't have anything like they can! On the upside, one lb of weight loss on a shortie (which I'm assuming you are!) looks like a lot more than on a tall person - I have to keep reminding myself that!

It's really difficult but I try and stick to really fibrous and protein-rich foods to keep me full, and try to have three 300-400cal meals a day which gives me a little room to graze on trail mix where I need to. Examples of this are:

- Greek yoghurt with a banana and pumpkin seeds
    - wholewheat couscous with turkey breast, kale and pesto
    - a kipper, poached egg and crispy kale
    - low fat meatballs, lentils and spicy tomato marinara sauce

I've had to ban cheese, bacon, chocolate and beer in the most part which is really difficult, but it tastes so much better when you only have it as a treat!

Three of these a day can keep me quite full, and I walk at least 6 miles a day and do an hour of cardio/weight training a day too. Obviously losing weight is a case of calorie deficit, but making that calorie deficit (especially for poor people like us where our goal is so small!) is so much easier when you pay a lot of attention to your nutrition :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    kittynat wrote: »
    Can I ask a silly question?
    Using one of the calculators my TDEE is 2064 - 20% is 1651. I currently do 1-3 hours of exercise a week.
    So do I eat to that calorie goal every day, even if I don't exercise on that day? Also, what happens when I can't exercise as much in a given week?
    v confused?!

Not a silly question at all.
    Yes you eat the same every day but it's sensible to use a little common sense and flexibility when you either have a big exercise day/week or a week when you can't exercise as much.

It's the advantage of the MFP "eat back exercise calories" method - you only get the calories when you have done the exercise.
    Six of one and half a dozen of the other but both methods work if done properly.

This...

TDEE is good for someone who is consistent with exercise. Because it includes exercise calories and it can be a moving target if you aren't consistent.

I did not switch over to TDEE until I knew for sure I found the exercise I would do consistently...and it's worked great for me...

But as mentioned when I did NEAT (MFP method) my calories to lose 1lb a week were 1450+150 exercise calories total 1600...my TDEE when I started was 2k...-20% for 1lb a week guess what 1600 calories...it really is 6 of one half dozen of the other...

Not sure if you're not saying things incorrectly by accident, or you just don't know... TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's how many calories you burn per day, if you exercise or you don't. It doesn't matter. I think you might be trying to say, "The TDEE method is good for someone who is consistent." The TDEE method is the method where you subtract a certain % from your calories.

ah no I know what TDEE is...I have used this method for weight loss and maintenance for almost 2 years.

TDEE=Total Daily Energy Expenditure it the amount of calories you burn per day with exercise included in that number.

Yes you can have a TDEE and not exercise but it will be lower...hence the need for consistent exercise in this case per the quote I Replied to...
    Using one of the calculators my TDEE is 2064 - 20% is 1651. I currently do 1-3 hours of exercise a week.
    So do I eat to that calorie goal every day, even if I don't exercise on that day? Also, what happens when I can't exercise as much in a given week?
    v confused?!

• CassarahW
    CassarahW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting your proteins and fats in, it will help satiate you. If you aren't losing weight at 1200 then it's too low. Really you just have to play with it and see where you feel good and are losing weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    CassarahW wrote: »
    Make sure you're getting your proteins and fats in, it will help satiate you. If you aren't losing weight at 1200 then it's too low. Really you just have to play with it and see where you feel good and are losing weight.

False..if you aren't losing on 1200 than you are eating more than you think and you need to take a look at your logging accuracy.

• LisaMighton
    LisaMighton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - what rate of weight loss did you select?
    That's the biggest influence on your calorie goal.

Don't make it harder than it has to be - aim for sustainability not fast results.

at first I put in 2 lbs per week but it stays at 1200 calories even if I put in 1 pound per week instead
  • LisaMighton
    Options
    v confused?!
    MalineVD wrote: »
    I eat 1200 a day too and if you pick your food right, it's perfectly doable.

For example what I ate today:
    Breakfast: a pancake made of two eggs, a banana and some cinnamon.
    Snack: an apple
    Lunch: roasted veggies with chicken and some rice (60gr rice, 100gr of chicken and almost 400gr of veggies cause I like quantity/big meals for the feeling of being full) with a bit of cream cheese
    Snack: 125gr greek yoghurt
    Dinner: homemade spaghetti with loads of vegetables

Weighed everything (and double checked the kcal and always went with the heighest input) and it's a total of 1189 kcal. And believe me, not hungry whatsoever. If you want some inspiration, you can always look into my diary. Might want to ask for translations, cause everything is in dutch :)

Thanks that's helpful
  • LisaMighton
    Options
    I don´t think it´s too little...but then again, I burn between 1000 and 1800 calories on excercise every day. So I get A LOT extra and am never hungry. My opinion....the healthy way to go down to that low calory goal is through excercise. You can burn a whoooole lot of calories just by working out twice a day. And that may seem a lot for some of you (I didnt work out at all just some months ago and if someone had told me to work out twice a day I would have thought they re crazy), but if you implement excercise slowly and then step it up, set prioritys, it is very achievable and doable. Side effect...I feel fantastic and can see my body transform! Not only I lose fat, I gain muscels :)
    That's impressive - what do you do for your 2 workouts per day, and do you do one super early before work?
  • LisaMighton
    Options
    hmck123 wrote: »
    I'm on a 1200/day goal because I'm short and about 140 lbs. It's so annoying, particularly eating with friends because you can't have anything like they can! On the upside, one lb of weight loss on a shortie (which I'm assuming you are!) looks like a lot more than on a tall person - I have to keep reminding myself that!

It's really difficult but I try and stick to really fibrous and protein-rich foods to keep me full, and try to have three 300-400cal meals a day which gives me a little room to graze on trail mix where I need to. Examples of this are:

- Greek yoghurt with a banana and pumpkin seeds
    - wholewheat couscous with turkey breast, kale and pesto
    - a kipper, poached egg and crispy kale
    - low fat meatballs, lentils and spicy tomato marinara sauce

I've had to ban cheese, bacon, chocolate and beer in the most part which is really difficult, but it tastes so much better when you only have it as a treat!

Three of these a day can keep me quite full, and I walk at least 6 miles a day and do an hour of cardio/weight training a day too. Obviously losing weight is a case of calorie deficit, but making that calorie deficit (especially for poor people like us where our goal is so small!) is so much easier when you pay a lot of attention to your nutrition :)
    Thanks. What device do you use to me monitor how many miles you're walking, and are you happy with the device you chose?
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If rice it is brown rice is the only viable stuff. White rice is nutrients deficient. If you're hungry try to eat veggies and fruit it helps. If it pasta - use wholewheat one. generally eat food with lot of nutrient, don't eat for calories. Eat for nutrients.
  • LisaMighton
    Options
    hncary wrote: »
    Try using a TDEE calculator and eating at a 15-20% deficit of your TDEE. Is that still showing around 1200?

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    My exercise isn't very consistent daily but I'll have a look at the TDEE again
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Try using a TDEE calculator and eating at a 15-20% deficit of your TDEE. Is that still showing around 1200?

This^

Older, petite women will get a lower number. Keep in mind that 1200 is before exercise....TDEE will want to include it.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories and currently eat back about half of the calories my Fitbit affords me. You can make 1200 calories last you all day if you pre plan and are eating half way decent things.
  • LisaMighton
    Options

For Mifflin-St Jeor It says BMR is 1512 (what is that? I can't find it explained?)
    and TDEE is 2050

I couldn't use Katch-McCardle because I don't know my body fat %.

I'm 49 and 5' 2".
  • TeaBea
    Options

For Mifflin-St Jeor It says BMR is 1512 (what is that? I can't find it explained?)
    and TDEE is 2050

I'm 49 and 5' 2".

BMR = Basal metabolic rate. If you stayed in bed all day your body would use this number of calories.

2050 is maintenance....so you want to eat less than this. How much lower is up to you. Keep in mind the bigger the deficit the harder it is for your body to hang onto existing lean muscle. I'm over 50, have lost weight (and muscle) before...so this time I aim to keep a small deficit so I can keep more lean muscle.

This chart may help:
    Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • LisaMighton
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

and TDEE is 2050

I'm 49 and 5' 2".

BMR = Basal metabolic rate. If you stayed in bed all day your body would use this number of calories.

2050 is maintenance....so you want to eat less than this. How much lower is up to you. Keep in mind the bigger the deficit the harder it is for your body to hang onto existing lean muscle. I'm over 50, have lost weight (and muscle) before...so this time I aim to keep a small deficit so I can keep more lean muscle.

This chart may help:
    Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Thanks for that chart.
    I also found an online body fat percentage calculator so by using that and the Katch-McCardle TDEE calculator, that one says TDEE is 1809 calories/day.
  • LisaMighton
    Options
    PS TeaBea in your profile, just curious what does 'Recently started 5:2' mean?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    5:2 means intermittent fasting...eating 500 calories for 2 non-consecutive days per week, then at maintenance the remaining 5 days.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    PS TeaBea in your profile, just curious what does 'Recently started 5:2' mean?

5:2 is where you eat maintenance 5 days a week and eat 500 calories for 2 days. I get my weekly deficit in these 2 days. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

I struggle with maintenance, so logging maintenance days is good for me.