You don't have to explain your diet to everyone. Just take ownership.

californiagirl2012
californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
One of the biggest mistakes people make in the beginning is feeling the need to explain their diet to everyone, or explain why they are not eating this or that in a social situation.

There is also the pressure from others, all the "food pushers" in our life. Just don't let them have ownership of what you put into your body. It's not their body, it's yours. You don't have to explain that to them, but you do have to DECIDE it is yours to own.

Take ownership for food intake. Never again give that ownership to friends and family. If you are at a party and there is cake, you can decide for yourself to have the cake or not. Own what you put in your body.

You don’t have to explain why you decide to not have cake. You don’t have to explain you are on a diet. Just simply say “No thank you” and OWN IT.

Cake is not bad. I don't believe in good food and bad food lists. However, there are times when we say no to stay on track. I always remind myself there is a NEXT TIME.

When I do have cake, I ALWAYS want more. Of course we want more we are human. Most of us can eat the whole dang thing. Every dang day. But, that won't get us to our fitness goals. And if you are already at your goal, it won't keep you there.

It's a lifestyle. Little choices every day. Nothing big and drastic or even very exciting in the day to day effort.

Take-Ownership-BnA-hiking-and-PCSO-abs_zpshxxigv7m.jpg

16440072.png

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Right on. Why people think that it's "polite" to let others criticize and/or pressure them is way beyond me.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    That is something I need to hear. You have made great progress yourself and I hope to do the same for myself. Thanks for the 'kick in the pants'!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Reminds me of the thread where someone pushed food on a girl who said "no thank you" and the pusher kept pushing so then the girl took the item and dropped it straight into the trash in front of the pusher. lol!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You...I like
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Amen.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    This is quality advice, and your photo certainly backs you up because you look incredible.

My personal strategy is just trying to make the food pusher uncomfortable if they're persistent. As in, when "no, thank you" doesn't work, then "Well, you know cupcakes give you a muffin top!" does.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Agreed 100%. My life became so much easier when I stopped explaining myself to other people.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    So true

And tbh it's good to hear this

I have a few food pushers in my life... including my boyfriend

Thanks
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    This is exactly how I live my life. It makes other people uncomfortable, particularly the food pushers and those who equate food with love, but I don't care. As long as I am not uncomfortable then it's up to others to deal with their own issues.

Sounds harsh, but in all practicality it really isn't. Social event, food is set out, someone says, "Eat! Grab a plate!". "I will when I'm ready, thank you." Rinse, repeat. People tire of it and move on to their next "victim". So I say to everyone here, make sure you aren't the next victim! Find your voice and set your boundaries. It can be done very quietly as a matter of fact.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    *clap clap*

I had an issue with someone at work once always pushing yummy, randomly brought in stuff. When I asked for advice on polite ways to say no. I got torn apart, saying that I should not be rude and just eat it, etc etc. No, I don't have to conform to my old ways/your ways.

Example, with it being Nurses week, I know there's gonna be lotsa yummies and treats brought in for this week and next. I'm alloting some space for it, IF I want it. If it's not worth it, oh well, that's only more calories for more dinner or something I actually want!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Great post, OP. My body, my choice what goes on it. Food pushers and people in general will eventually learn that you are not an easy target and move on to someone easier to control. Stand your ground.

I don't mention trying to lose weight to anyone so there is less drama overall.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Great post and I was shocked when I saw you were 54 years old. I am sure you are very tired of giving advice but can I ask you what you think is the single most important factor in getting such great arms? Is it hitting your protein goal or is it more to do with lifting technique/time invested?? Thanks in advance if you take the time to respond!
  • californiagirl2012
    Great post and I was shocked when I saw you were 54 years old. I am sure you are very tired of giving advice but can I ask you what you think is the single most important factor in getting such great arms? Is it hitting your protein goal or is it more to do with lifting technique/time invested?? Thanks in advance if you take the time to respond!

Focus on protein, calorie deficit, and hit those weights!!! And patience. That is all.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Couldn't agree more.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    *clap clap*

I had an issue with someone at work once always pushing yummy, randomly brought in stuff. When I asked for advice on polite ways to say no. I got torn apart, saying that I should not be rude and just eat it, etc etc. No, I don't have to conform to my old ways/your ways.

Example, with it being Nurses week, I know there's gonna be lotsa yummies and treats brought in for this week and next. I'm alloting some space for it, IF I want it. If it's not worth it, oh well, that's only more calories for more dinner or something I actually want!

I'm sorry that happened. I remember that thread. However, good for you for not giving in! Learning to turn food down and not feeling badly about it is an important step in taking control of your health.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member

Focus on protein, calorie deficit, and hit those weights!!! And patience. That is all.

awesome! I definitely will. Thank you!
  • californiagirl2012
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Reminds me of the thread where someone pushed food on a girl who said "no thank you" and the pusher kept pushing so then the girl took the item and dropped it straight into the trash in front of the pusher. lol!!!

That is AWESOME!!!

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    *clap clap*

I love nurses week. Our supervisor has a pancake breakfast every year for us. When asked if I want any of the extra goodies, I usually just end it with "no I'm good" My coworkers are usually pretty good with that response.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Troutsy wrote: »
    *clap clap*

I love nurses week. Our supervisor has a pancake breakfast every year for us. When asked if I want any of the extra goodies, I usually just end it with "no I'm good" My coworkers are usually pretty good with that response.

Our psych doctor brought in cheesecake this week.

Next week, a biscuit breakfast, a lunch, and an ice cream social are planned throughout the week. I may not partake in the biscuits, since they're usually not worth the calories unless it's homemade, but I am sure they can fit in something for lunch, and I'll make room for the ice cream social. because ice cream!