Women Running Alone

Options
124»

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding a buddy. I run alone and after dark and feel safe.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm going to echo others in saying that your fear is not irrational, not in the slightest.

Whilst fear may not be irrational, the statistics don't really bear it out. Most analysis I've seen, of UK/ US/ Canadian and Australian crime figures have similar conclusions. Greatest incidence of interpersonal violence is alcohol related and between young males, the majority of sexual violence crimes are within existing relationships or with an assailant known to the victim.

This is what I tell myself when I get spooked during a run, all the time. Honestly, I'm more afraid of geese biting me, cars hitting me, or injuring myself than I am of any other people that I see on the run who might have bad intentions. But I think OP mentioned there was a serial attacker/rapist in her city a few months ago, and so I can understand the residual fear despite his capture.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    One lady I've encountered several times has a dog that abandons her and follows me. She runs slower and as I pass her the dog picks up the pace and stays with me until I stop and tell it to go back. Man's best friend and not woman's best friend obviously. :laugh:

75% of the other women with dogs have a breed that probably wouldn't deter anything more than a cat from attacking their owner. I think a dog is a minimal help but if it makes you feel better you should get another dog or find a human running buddy. Just run out in an open area with lots of people around.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever considered carrying a weapon with me when running, but I'm also a hippie liberal who has never considered buying one, so that may be why.
    Honestly, my biggest fears out there are dogs, cars, and blowing out my knee far from home. And I hate running with other people, so I have adapted thusly:
    - the Road ID app mentioned by previous posters really is great. It texts my mom, dad, and my brother at the beginning of my run and tells them I'm going out and when I expect to be out and gives them a link to live GPS track me. If I stop moving it alarms LOUD to ask me if I stopped on purpose. If I don't respond, it lets them all know I'm not moving and where I am. When I get home, it lets them know I'm alive.
    - I also wear a MyID wristband w/ emergency contact info and a barcode EMTs can scan that will give them access to my blood type, allergies, partial advance directives, etc.
    - wear reflective gear, keep music either off or very quiet- good rule is that it needs to be quiet enough for me to hear bikes coming up behind me- and make sure I know where I am and the quickest way to a major road or emergency services. I run in areas I know well, so that's easy.

The suggestion to run on college campuses is a good one, since they have the emergency phones and well lit paths. Well, most schools do now, mine sure didn't when I was there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo others in saying that your fear is not irrational, not in the slightest.

Whilst fear may not be irrational, the statistics don't really bear it out. Most analysis I've seen, of UK/ US/ Canadian and Australian crime figures have similar conclusions. Greatest incidence of interpersonal violence is alcohol related and between young males, the majority of sexual violence crimes are within existing relationships or with an assailant known to the victim.

This is what I tell myself when I get spooked during a run, all the time. Honestly, I'm more afraid of geese biting me, cars hitting me, or injuring myself than I am of any other people that I see on the run who might have bad intentions. But I think OP mentioned there was a serial attacker/rapist in her city a few months ago, and so I can understand the residual fear despite his capture.

Oh indeed, I have a lot of sympathy for the anxiety. You're correct, the most significant threat to runners is traffic interaction.

One of the key things for me is the normal/abnormal that I mentioned upthread. Run where there are lots of runners and one isn't unusual, so not inherently a target, running where that's unusual draws attention and bears some risk of increasing the threat.

A slightly different situation, but the twice that I've felt threatened in London I was wearing my combat uniform.
  • shellbmama
    shellbmama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everybody for all of the responses. I really do appreciate them. For the record, I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a knife or gun. We actually are getting another dog over the summer probably, but it will be some time before he can run with me. My injured dog is a pit bull. Although she is super sweet, she is also very sensitive to things around her & reacts when she doesn't like a situation or person. Her intimidating appearance (big, muscular dog) doesn't hurt either! Lol

Despite what some of you have said, I know my fears are not irrational. The attacks in my neighborhood hit close to home. I like the suggestions of the apps that track your route and alert family members if something unusual happens. I'm also going to look into finding a running buddy or club.