Vegetarians or Vegans or even Wannabees Wanna Group?

Options

Replies

• Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I've always been a fan of the veggie lifestyle. Last November I started making the transition. Hard when 6 other family members at home eat meat, but I'm doing the best I can and looking to work harder at it.
  • beccasetsfire
    beccasetsfire Posts: 135
    Options
    Vegan for 8/9 years.

Gladiators were vegan 99% of the time they ate meat at the party before the games... but still they ate a diet of mostly barley...
  • adougherty10
    Options
    Count me in too! I've been lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 12 years. I would love to be vegan but I'm finding the transition more difficult than I expected.

To a few of the previous posts:
    The people that have posted they are "almost vegetarian". My husband used to eat that basic diet and although he hates labels, that is called a "flexitarian" diet - in case you were wondering (he is a pescatarian now, which means the only animal he eats is fish). :)

And I agree, I think anyone should be allowed in the group - except for the guy the blabbed on about teeth being designed for eating meat - why would he post something like that in a group for vegetarians - weird? Maybe he had a bad day & wanted to try to make someone else fee like crap? I always find that argument interesting however. I don't pretend to know more about anatomy than the next guy but I always think of it like this: if we descended from great apes (maybe we did - I don't want to debate evolution vs creationism or anything here) BUT, if we did - don't we have the same teeth as them? Great apes are vegetarians....hmmmm......
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for a year, and almost a vegan, if I could just kick cheese! I've never been a fan of meat or milk/eggs, so this lifestyle hasn't been too difficult to adapt to. But cheese is hard to completely eliminate. Seems like it's on everything! I'd love to get some ideas from everyone on this thread!
  • adougherty10
    Options
    Dr. McDougall's site has some good information about the health of vegan diets too - it might be something worth checking out for vegan-wannabes like me :wink:
  • millygrl
    millygrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Count me in too. Not only are we both vegetarians, but from Ontario too. Yah for Canada! : )
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    "Ironically, the utterly unselective omnivore -- "I'm easy; I'll eat anything" -- can appear more socially sensitive than the individual who tries to eat in a way that is good for society."
    — Jonathan Safran Foer (Eating Animals)
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Moving on, yes, I'm definitely in for a group. :)
  • imabigvegan
    imabigvegan Posts: 72
    Options
    wow! who new there were so many MFP Veg members!

Keep em comin!
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    Count me in:) I've been a vegetarian for about five years and am slowly transitioning to a vegan diet:)
  • imabigvegan
    Options
    bump
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    I've been pseudo vegetarian for about 2 years. Awesome and healthy food, even my soap is 100 % vegan :wink:
  • Titch0808
    Titch0808 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i have always been a vegetarian.... happy to join a group etc...
  • Niveous
    Options
    Looks like we definitely need a group. ;)
  • MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian for 6 years now. When I first started, I was deer in the headlights......and then I started reading and the recipes are endless. As a vegetarian, you will find food exciting again, you will start craving fresh foods and you can fill your plate knowing putting things into your body that are good. Start reading up and I'm looking forward to some delicious recipes. I enjoy fabulous tasting mexican, italian foods, everthing!!! Just no meat, chicken in my recipes. I like it that way, I feel better about myself because of it. Its easier than you think and good for your body.

Backstory: I am a big animal lover but that is not the only reason why I turned to a vegetarian lifestyle. If anyone starts reading what goes into meat.....you learn about the injections that go into chickens and beef to make the animals grow faster and bigger, you learn about the inhumanity that go into slaughter, you will learn about how meat factories and the meat department in your local grocery injects "things" into the food that is delivered there. I'm not mentioning more but go online and read 100 reasons why I am a vegeterian.

But I don't foster my opinion onto others.....their path is their path. Being a vegetarian, caring about animals and trying to help them and people...is my path,

So............good on you!!!!!!!!!!!! The more you know, the more you will find you are making an educated choice on your body. I'm happy to share recipes and take in new information and recipes from others on this path. Check out your local health food store.

And if you don't follow the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle... please feel free tto start ...the Cheeseburger Diet on another thread and know I will bless you on your weight loss journey as well. Best to everyone!

Linn
  • imabigvegan
    Options
    Awesome so now we have a whack of people who are interested. what next? Any MFP have any tips for a group getting started?
  • MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How to get started? Lets start a group where we can talk about our vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, with recipes to share. We have a good start already.

There are so many misconceptions out there. Yes, I take a B12 every day, along with other vitamins including fish oil.....and because we are so conscious of what we eat, we probably eat more protein than the carnivores.

We are conscious of what goes into our bodies. I never volunteer information...but when asked I tell people to go get educated about "the face on your plate."

Vegetarians/Vegans are generally educated about foods.
  • Niveous
    Options
    To get started, one person usually just makes a new thread with the desired title for the group... and then leave a link here to the new thread, and you're off! :)
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi! I am BRAND new to a veggie diet so I am definitely open to recipes and tips!
  • kryscas
    kryscas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! :) I've been a long time vegetarian on-again-off-again vegan for over 10 years now. I'm trying to transition back to a vegan lifestyle. Now that I'm in this for health reasons, as well as moral and ethical, I'm finding myself full of energy and having a real love for life!

and I am also from Ontario - Kitchener here!! :)