Resentment

For the most part, I really do enjoy exercising and eating healthy. But on occasion, I can feel quite resentful towards people who just don't care. I see them enjoying their chicken tenders and fries (or something along those lines) everyday without any concern whatsoever. All the while, I constantly think about how healthy or unhealthy something is and bust my butt working out 4-5x a week.

I'll admit, I'm jealous. I know what I'm doing is for the best and I feel GREAT most days. Does anyone ever feel this way? Is it wrong of me to have these thoughts!?

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited May 2015
    Visit my thread, "I hate men." I have these feelings about my husband and sons, who can eat enormous amounts of food. My husband and one of my sons are in a weight loss challenge; husband lost 3 lbs. in a week, just by being "moderately careful," not tracking every bite he puts in his mouth. My youngest son is 6'3" and into strength training; he eats in one meal what I'm allowed all day.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    I've been feeling this for a while. My relationship with food is starting to sour as a result. I get annoyed when I see other thin people eating things that I probably couldn't squeeze in. It sucks.

Most of the time I'm okay, but when I see other people eating and enjoying food, I just get upset and I'm in a funk for a while.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,582 Member
    As a person who has done both the eating and the non-eating of the chicken tenders--like, really?

I would hope that you are taking care of yourself... for the purpose of taking care of yourself.
    Period.

How is the rest of the world relevant?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    When you see someone eating chicken tenders in the future just remember that they are not unhealthy. Rethink your view about food and what is healthy and what is not. In moderation nothing is unhealthy. Maybe that will help.

Almost seems like you resent the food and not the people
  • thaoXLIV
    thaoXLIV Posts: 10 Member
    I've been feeling this for a while. My relationship with food is starting to sour as a result. I get annoyed when I see other thin people eating things that I probably couldn't squeeze in. It sucks.

Most of the time I'm okay, but when I see other people eating and enjoying food, I just get upset and I'm in a funk for a while.

That's totally how I felt today! My coworker discovered Thin Mint ice cream in the cafeteria today and I ended up getting one because she was making it look so good! But I didn't think I could fit it in, so I just had half and am saving the other half for Saturday (since I only do sweets every other day).
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Simply because someone eats chicken tenders and fries doesn't mean they don't care. Maybe they don't each much for the rest of the day. Who knows?

Maybe their goals are different than yours...
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Save up for those chicken tenders and fries and fit them in! I enjoy junk food now more than when I was heavier because I've planned for it. ;)

On a more serious note, everyone has their struggles. Just because someone can eat 4X what I can doesn't mean they're happy with everything all the time.

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Chicken tenders and fries are not unhealthy. Seems like you may have a little bit of a superiority complex.
  • thaoXLIV
    thaoXLIV Posts: 10 Member
    I hope this didn't come off the wrong way. Like I said, I know what I'm doing is in my best interest. I'm in the process of retraining my mind to just see food as sustenance, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm only human so sometimes I may relapse.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    I don't find them unhealthy, but sometimes I just don't find the foods I'd really like to eat filling enough to justify the calories. I went to a baseball game with my parents on Monday and had a burrito bowl, and I was still hungry after, but didn't have enough calories for much else. :confused:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    thaoXLIV wrote: »
    For the most part, I really do enjoy exercising and eating healthy. But on occasion, I can feel quite resentful towards people who just don't care. I see them enjoying their chicken tenders and fries (or something along those lines) everyday without any concern whatsoever. All the while, I constantly think about how healthy or unhealthy something is and bust my butt working out 4-5x a week.

I'll admit, I'm jealous. I know what I'm doing is for the best and I feel GREAT most days. Does anyone ever feel this way? Is it wrong of me to have these thoughts!?

You are making a judgment that people who eat chicken tenders and fries do not care. That is a pretty big assumption on your part.

If you like chicken tenders and fries, why don't you work them into your calorie goals.

Weight loss is not about deprivation, it's about learning to eat real food that you love in real life.

Nope. I feel no jealousy or resentment toward people who eat food I wish I was eating. In fact, I work all foods I love into my calorie goals. :)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    I had homemade chicken tenders for dinner today. I think if everything I put in my mouth before it goes in. My chicken tenders are what I consider healthy and if I can fit fries I will. I don't let other's food choices dictate how I feel about my food. My food is almost always exactly what I want and crave so that might help. Delicious awesomeness!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    All I can say is stop it. Stop comparing your self to other people.

Especially people you see once a day. Someone might have a large lunch, unless your with them all day you might find they skip or have very small meals the rest of the day.

Also are you comparing someone losing weight to someone maintaining?

Focus on your self, stop worrying about what others are eating. Everyone is different.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Today, I was looking at a picture from last June when I weighed 270. The thing that crossed my mind was how I felt at the time. Yeah, I could eat whatever I wanted, but I didn't feel very good. I would wear my jeans more than one day because it took the first day to stretch them out. And I've noticed some of my friends who eat everything they want. They can't pick up their own weight, so they have to sort of rock themselves back and forth until they get enough momentum to stand up. I don't want to be like that. If that means I don't get chicken fingers every day, that's okay.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I don't think it's wrong for you to have those thoughts. I think it's totally normal. I'm probably the abnormal one here.

I would have no reason to be jealous of other people's bad habits. My brain just doesn't work that way. I just feel sorry for people who don't live a healthy lifestyle. Pretty much everybody I know who puts forth no effort toward their health and fitness doesn't look and feel as good as me. So why would I want to be like them? I guess if there was someone who ate like a pig and sat around all day AND looked and felt awesome, it might annoy me, but I just don't ever see that.

It may just be a matter of perception. I think a lot of the time, people see thin people eating something decadent and assume they are eating like that all the time - like maybe they were just born lucky. I've had people assume that about me. But it's more likely that the cake you see them eating just happens to fit within their calories. They might be more active than you think and they probably eat less than you think, as well.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I find that once you stop comparing yourself to others and start competing against yourself, you won't even notice or care what other people are doing anymore. :)<3

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    As a person who has done both the eating and the non-eating of the chicken tenders--like, really?

I would hope that you are taking care of yourself... for the purpose of taking care of yourself.
    Period.

How is the rest of the world relevant?

Exactly!!!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    One of the reasons people regain weight is because they feel deprived about not being able to eat like they did before.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    One of the reasons people regain weight is because they feel deprived about not being able to eat like they did before.

Excellent point. Anytime I tried to lose weight via deprivation, I always gave in and started eating the foods I missed with no moderation in mind and gained it all back, plus more.
  • snowdevilgirl
    snowdevilgirl Posts: 21 Member
    I know what you mean. I know eating healthily is better and i know i can splerg in moderation. I am just one of those people that feels guilty when I go way over my calories.
    The goal is to feel better about myself and i realize the weight is just a piece of the puzzle.