Saturated Fats are GOOD for you

Options
I, personally, have never bought into the low-fat craze because it just didn’t make sense to me. I always knew that fats were good for you I just never went out of my way to research it. Come to find out, the so called “facts” that support the claim that saturated fats are bad for you and are the cause of high cholesterol and heart disease is simply a hypothesis and much of the so called research and evidence has been funded by the vegetable oil and processing companies with the specific intent of supporting these claims. I was going to write my own article on this topic, but discovered that someone had already done it, and it is quite good, so why reinvent the wheel.

http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    grg ,thanks for this informatioin. Im just now breaking out of a plateu, and lots had to do with my thinking in regards to fats and proteins. Carbs were killing me, and I didnt know.........Thanks, Lloyd
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been researching this topic over the past several months. It's hard to filter through everything you find, but we're starting to lean towards your way of thinking, too. Most of time, the best way to get to the truth of a "study" is just to follow the money.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Run, Duck, Cover You are a brave man, posting this kind of nonsense. :smile: Drip, drip, drip with sarcasm.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Oh wait someone hand me the popcorn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this is goning to get good,,,,,, bump just to watch the train wreck that is coming.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    YAY, another advocate!!! I am not in this fight alone..........

Here is one of my old posts from last year:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100410-saturated-fats-not-the-enemy?hl=fats+is+not+the+enemy&page=1#posts-1386653
  • Grokette
    Options
    Oh wait someone hand me the popcorn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this is goning to get good,,,,,, bump just to watch the train wreck that is coming.

Just make sure it is not Monsanto GMO popcorn. :laugh: :laugh:
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Its funny you bring up this subject. As a person who is studying nutrition we have had many debates about fats. What it all boils down to is moderation. Anything is bad in excessive amounts. Fats obtained a bad reputation in the late 80s and early 90s but they are vital to our survival. Just like anything else, if you have them in your diet, it is ok just don't go overboard and gain yourself any health complications.
  • ladyviola
    ladyviola Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This should prove to be quite an interesting thread.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    If the research is funded as you claim, why would the companies that make saturated fat stay quiet. BTW rather than just researching for articles, have you tried to understand the processes involved in the same?? 'WHY' is always more important.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

I enjoy chumming the waters and waiting for sharks. :-)
  • End6ame
    Options
    If the research is funded as you claim, why would the companies that make saturated fat stay quiet. BTW rather than just researching for articles, have you tried to understand the processes involved in the same?? 'WHY' is always more important.

No one MAKES saturated fat; it is naturally occurring in plans and animals.... ehem... and humans.
  • drasr
    Options

No one MAKES saturated fat; it is naturally occurring in plans and animals.
    I guess you haven't heard about a process called 'HYDROGENATION'
  • Grokette
    Options

Your talking about trans fats that are shot up with Hydrogen and become hydrogenated fats..........Those are man made and bad for you...........
  • End6ame
    Options

That would be trans fat which is a man made fat.
  • drasr
    Options

That would be trans fat which is an unsaturated man made fat.

Little knowledge is a dangerous thing. HYDROGENATION is the process of adding hydrogen to convert the double carbon bonds[Unsaturated fatty acids] into single bonds[saturated]. The cis and trans refers to the spatial orientation of double carbon bond and that is a result of partial hydrogenation.
  • End6ame
    Options

That would be trans fat which is an unsaturated man made fat.

Little knowledge is a dangerous thing. HYDROGENATION is the process of adding hydrogen to convert the double carbon bonds[Unsaturated fatty acids] into single bonds[saturated]. The cis and trans refers to the spatial orientation of double carbon bond and that is a result of partial hydrogenation.

Yes, I realized I miss-spoke. Trans fats are unsaturated to start with then become partially or completely saturated. That doesn’t differ from my point however. While all trans fats are saturated fats not all saturated fats are trans fats, and there for cannot be classified the same as being bad for you.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I tend to agree more with the original poster by the way.

On a related but side note...it's so difficult for the average person to get accurate information nowadays. SO much of what we are given as gospel truth, is little more than propaganda based on American drug/food companies that have a very large lobbying hand in our business. For example I have a friend diagnosed with, I believe...stage IV colon cancer, which has spread throughout his body. He is being treated with chemotherapy of course...however, a couple months prior to his beginning treatment, he began eating a much more traditional diet, and taking daily supplements of chagga tea, and home ground CANADIAN apricot pits. Yes, he's eating those CYANIDE (thanks for the spelling lesson!) filled apricot pits...that are ILLEGAL in the US (all US apricots are genetically altered).

Now, here's the interesting part. When he went in for his final check before beginning chemo...his level of cancer had been reduced substantially. His doctor is astounded, and attributing it to various vitamins (I don't recall the specifics) and to the sionide, both contained in the apricot pits and tea...which can't be absorbed by the human body, but FIGHTS the cancer. He had mentioned others he contacted (where he learned of these supplements), on a similar diet...who had been diagnosed as terminal (6mos or less to live)...some, as many as 15 years ago. All healthy, happy...and cancer free. Additionally...he's GAINING weight...while in chemotherapy. It still makes him sick, but he IS healthy and THRIVING, rather than wasting away and dying.

Interesting, isn't it?

~Edit - Edited for spelling!~
  • drasr
    Options
    "While all trans fats are saturated fats not all saturated fats are trans fats, and there for cannot be classified the same as being bad for you."
    Buddy trans fats are 'UNsaturated', the ones we talk about anyways.
    I don't want to be confrontational. But any 'Solid' fat like butter or cheese or ghee and certain oils, involve hydrogenation, so your earlier claim that saturated fats occur only naturally is not true. And all major food chains like MacD, KFC, Popeye etc thrive on saturated fats. While it is easy for a layman to get confused, i can assure you if you take some time to understand the physiology and biochemistry behind it, it will be much clearer. In simple terms, Unsaturated fats are unstable because of the double bond. So they are metabolized easily. Saturated fats are stable and are stored and when that occurs in blood vessels, it causes atherosclerosis and hence Heart disease, predisposition to strokes etc etc. I can go on and on but whats inportant is not to believe what you read blindly. You have quoted that article. I can quote 1000s of others which are contrary to that claim. But at the end of the day, you have to make the decision and an informed one.
  • Grokette
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I tend to agree more with the original poster by the way.

On a related but side note...it's so difficult for the average person to get accurate information nowadays. SO much of what we are given as gospel truth, is little more than propaganda based on American drug/food companies that have a very large lobbying hand in our business. For example I have a friend diagnosed with, I believe...stage IV colon cancer, which has spread throughout his body. He is being treated with chemotherapy of course...however, a couple months prior to his beginning treatment, he began eating a much more traditional diet, and taking daily supplements of chagga tea, and home ground CANADIAN apricot pits. Yes, he's eating those sionide filled apricot pits...that are ILLEGAL in the US (all US apricots are genetically altered).

Now, here's the interesting part. When he went in for his final check before beginning chemo...his level of cancer had been reduced substantially. His doctor is astounded, and attributing it to various vitamins (I don't recall the specifics) and to the sionide, both contained in the apricot pits and tea...which can't be absorbed by the human body, but FIGHTS the cancer. He had mentioned others he contacted (where he learned of these supplements), on a similar diet...who had been diagnosed as terminal (6mos or less to live)...some, as many as 15 years ago. All healthy, happy...and cancer free. Additionally...he's GAINING weight...while in chemotherapy. It still makes him sick, but he IS healthy and THRIVING, rather than wasting away and dying.

Interesting, isn't it?

Yes, food in its many forms is often very healing..........someone told me the other day they would rather have faith in our medical community than to think that foods were able to heal the body.

Given half a chance with the proper nutrition the body will heal itself.

One of my aunts friends was told she would be dead within a few months, she refused chemo and went on an all natural plan very similar to Paleo and is very healthy and cancer free today............She changed doctors after that too. He still didn't believe her. He accused her of going over seas for treatment.
  • drasr
    Options
    "Now, here's the interesting part. When he went in for his final check before beginning chemo...his level of cancer had been reduced substantially. "
    Tumors are known to shrink by themselves. Tumors have a high turn over rate i.e. rate of multiplication of cells, so they require a lot of nutrition and as they grow outwards, nutritional supply towards the centretends to get cut off or is limited which makes the tumor slough off. It is a well documented phenomenon esp in Gastro Intestinal tumors.