Runners Who Never Thought They'd Run

Options

Replies

• debsweetcakes
    Options
    Hey, I was in the same boat. I used to run only in the dark so no one could see me. I would quit on myself repeatedly. I used to do slow steady jogs on time and every other day I increased the previous time by 1 minute. I lost a lot of my weight by running, pure cardio.. which caused me to be labeled "skinny fat" so I started lifting weights too and noticed a huge difference! You can TOTALLY do this!! Baby steps is all it takes. Here to cheer you on! jv8skwz9ghtp.jpg
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had gotten to be about 50 pounds over weight and was probably going to be put on high blood pressure medicine and high cholesterol if I went to the doctor, both were getting high. Tried to run but the knees said no way. So I came here and changed my eating habits and started walking. To relieve boredom I started playing Ingress (ingress.com) a GPS map game that is similar to a global game of capture the flag. As I got a little OCD about it I started running between points to get there faster and gather XM points. Before I realized it I was running about four to seven miles daily and no sore knees. The trick was the long walks that I mixed in interval running short distances. As I got my knees and muscles accustomed to it they did fine. I now love to run. I dropped 50 pounds, 50 points down on the bad cholesterol, cured insomnia, feel great and completed two half marathons (1:56:30). Do this, you will love it! Be prepared to give it some time to build your strength. With all the calories you burn you should lose some weight fast too, I did, and that will make the runs better and easier. Now Go run!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I had gotten to be about 50 pounds over weight and was probably going to be put on high blood pressure medicine and high cholesterol if I went to the doctor, both were getting high. Tried to run but the knees said no way. So I came here and changed my eating habits and started walking. To relieve boredom I started playing Ingress (ingress.com) a GPS map game that is similar to a global game of capture the flag. As I got a little OCD about it I started running between points to get there faster and gather XM points. Before I realized it I was running about four to seven miles daily and no sore knees. The trick was the long walks that I mixed in interval running short distances. As I got my knees and muscles accustomed to it they did fine. I now love to run. I dropped 50 pounds, 50 points down on the bad cholesterol, cured insomnia, feel great and completed two half marathons (1:56:30). Do this, you will love it! Be prepared to give it some time to build your strength. With all the calories you burn you should lose some weight fast too, I did, and that will make the runs better and easier. Now Go run!

HA.

My friend played that game- i went with her a few times- I hated it- she said she bought extra supplies/battery and a special bag to take with her.

I was like. I can't.

BUT- that seems like an awesome use of the game to incorporate into your life- I kind of love it!!
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Stenobun wrote: »
    I really need to hear from folks out there who were just like me at one point. I need to hear that it can be done. I'm obese. I need to lose probably about 90 pounds to be considered healthy. But I've always wanted to be a runner. I've tried a few times. A couple of years ago, I even got up to a slow jog for five minutes straight. Then I got off track and gained back a bunch of the weight I lost. I'm starting over now, but I feel so pathetic when I try to run. I've NEVER run a mile in my life. I think I was just barely up to running a quarter mile when I gave up on myself. I need to hear from people who were like me. Please tell me how hard it was and how much better it got. Please share stories and pictures. I really need some hope.

I can't share a story bout how it got better - but I can tell you that you are not alone. I need to lose somewhere in the 90 to 120 lb range and have always dreamed of being a runner. I, too, have never run a mile - heck, probably have never run a half-mile, in my life. It truly stinks to have so much trouble with something I want to do so badly. I've been training on and off for a half marathon for the last five years with little success. (Though last year I did a PB in a 5k, finishing with a 17:10 pace per mile (99% walk, 1% run).

I've tried Couch to 5k program, but for a number person like me, it just doesn't work. I get all hung up on trying to match the numbers and then frustrated when I fail.

Last week, after looking back over my past year's training (after a 5 month hiatus), I sat down and took several hours and much research to figure out a training plan I could follow. One where I won't be repeating or restarting "week 1" several dozen times.

I think C25k is great if it works for you. For me it didn't. *shrug* But yesterday, I did Week 1 day 1 and met my goal (.75 miles at a 30min pace or faster, .05 at a 12min pace or faster). Yeah - I ran all of 5/100ths of a mile. But I did it at a reasonable pace *grin*. Tomorrow's goal is 1mile at a 30 min pace or faster and .06 at a 12min or faster pace.

Anyway - for you - and any others who get discouraged when they hear "slow runner" - then find out the person is doing miles in 10min or less, don't feel alone. I'm a runner. I run. Not far. Not fast. But I run and I race and I'm going to do a 5k this spring, and a half marathon this fall.

Anyway - my suggestion is pick your race, make a plan and go for it - I've finished dead last, I've been DQ'd for not making the time limit, I've been forced to drop out when I picked a race too long for my abilities - but I still don't regret a single race I've done.

Hugs & best wishes to you! You can do it!!!

• TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I can relate. 2 years ago I started C25k for the first time, not having run for like 15 years, since I was in college. Since then I've run (literally) hundreds of miles as well as a few 5k races. I'm still not a good runner, and I still don't *enjoy* it, but it makes me feel healthier. I hope you find the motivation and get out there, but it isn't for everyone, if you find you hate it, there are plenty of other exercises that can provide similar benefits.
  • yuyutu81
    yuyutu81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    It can be done. No doubt. I know this first hand.
    (Shorten the reminder of your post to save all the space)
    It is possible. I encourage you to just do it. Not trying to sound corny. Just start with what you can do, and just keep going.

Sorry for such a long post.

Thank you so much for sharing such a personal and inspiring journey. :)
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    One other thought to add... You're going to have some good runs and some bad runs. I thought about this thread yesterday when I was out running. I have been primarily running on the treadmill through the winter and went outside yesterday since it was nice. The road, the wind, the sun, they all take a toll on you. Plus I started out way too fast. I had hoped to go 90 minutes but only lasted 60, and I really had to push hard for that

But you know what? After I was done I was glad to have gotten out. It sucked. It really sucked. But that's my point...not all runs are great.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I like this, particularly since my main problem is i get bored AF when i run

any other apps like this that people know of?
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started with the runner's world beginning running program on my treadmill. I knew I could not do it outside because I didn't want people watching me. When I finished that, I just kept adding to my time. When I got to 45 minutes, I finally ran outside. I went from 165 lbs to 125 lbs and running has changed my life. I will be running my first half marathon in May. I love the long runs on Saturdays. I am slow but I do it. Some of the runs were terrible but that is because I was not eating enough carbs and I crashed afterward. Now, I make sure if I run over 6 miles to eat 1/2 my body weight in carbs for breakfast. Everyone is different so I am not saying everyone needs to do this but for me it works. By the way, I am 49 and not athletic at all. I never played sports as a kid or in high school. I have always admired runners. They have an inner drive and dedication that I wanted. So, I said why not me and I googled a plan and started.
  • wiseashh
    wiseashh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stenobun wrote: »
    I really need to hear from folks out there who were just like me at one point. I need to hear that it can be done. I'm obese. I need to lose probably about 90 pounds to be considered healthy. But I've always wanted to be a runner. I've tried a few times. A couple of years ago, I even got up to a slow jog for five minutes straight. Then I got off track and gained back a bunch of the weight I lost. I'm starting over now, but I feel so pathetic when I try to run. I've NEVER run a mile in my life. I think I was just barely up to running a quarter mile when I gave up on myself. I need to hear from people who were like me. Please tell me how hard it was and how much better it got. Please share stories and pictures. I really need some hope.

Not sure if anyone would really care but I have been continuing the c25k since my last post and am now going on week 7. I took the last after picture from my old post to compare to now. This is -12 pounds. I just wanted to let you know that it is hard in the beginning but it gets so much easier stenobun! Especially when the weight that you gained will start to fall off. Dont worry! I wish you the best of luck and hope you succeed in becoming the runner you always wanted to be! If I can do it, so can you =] Give the c25k a try!
    4y50ecan8qs5.jpg

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can be done! As a child and teenager I could never run more than 400m. Well, I couldn't even run 400m. All I could do was a 100m run, either as a not fast sprint or an even slower jog. And that stuck.

A few years ago I tried running during a several day work-related training. After three days a toe started to hurt, which lasted me several months. So I gave up again. I tried it again 4 weeks ago just a few days shy of my 41th birthay thinking my toe might hurt again, my legs will get heavy, my lungs won't cope, but none of that happened. So I just finished week 4 of C25K. But not with 2 intervals of 3 and 5 minutes running, but twice that. I don't know why I'm able to run quite well all of a sudden, but it just works for me.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    As someone who had three knee surgeries before the age of 20 and had been significantly overweight their entire life, I never expected to consider myself a runner. And some people will scoff and say I'm really not because I've only managed to work my way up to about 3-4km runs, but I'm pretty proud of myself and I can't wait to start running again as the weather warms up.

For me, I started with trying the C25K route but I found that the app forced me to work at it's pace rather than my own and that wasn't comfortable for me. So I just started running then walking for as little time as I absolutely had to, then running again. I started small with my block (which is just under 1km) and then over time added more and more blocks to it. I set up little time trials for myself constantly trying to knock a few seconds off here or there. I found that approach was really motivational for me because I felt like I saw near-constant progress (side note: the post about good runs and bad runs further up is a really good thing to remember, even pro-athletes have the odd terrible run where they're just not up to par).

I will say however that running is very hard on your joints when you are overweight; the amount of pressure that it can put through them leaves overweight runners prone to injury. I didn't start really running until I was in my 170s (a healthy weight for my height and frame would be about 140) and as I've lost more weight I've definitely noticed the difference. Work up your mileage slowly, stop if you're developing any chronic pain spots (either during or after runs) and remember how important stretching is to any fitness related activity.

Good luck, and get out there! We know you can do this.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider myself a runner yet, but I did start C25K recently with a friend and I've been surprised at how much I'm enjoying it! I generally hate cardio and love heavy lifting, but there's something calming and almost meditative about running that I'm enjoying. I love to lift but I don't get in that same head space at the gym that do out on a run.
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    gbel1975 wrote: »
    One other thought to add... You're going to have some good runs and some bad runs. I thought about this thread yesterday when I was out running. I have been primarily running on the treadmill through the winter and went outside yesterday since it was nice. The road, the wind, the sun, they all take a toll on you. Plus I started out way too fast. I had hoped to go 90 minutes but only lasted 60, and I really had to push hard for that

But you know what? After I was done I was glad to have gotten out. It sucked. It really sucked. But that's my point...not all runs are great.

I know it's been a few months since this thread was visited, but I am so glad I found it. And your post really resonated with me.

In high school, I ran cross country. Back then, the girls had to run 2 mile races. I was one of the slowest; my fastest race was in 17 min. Oh how'd I'd love to be able to run 2 miles in 17 minutes now, LOL :p I have tried to run on and off over the years. I have completed one 5K without having to walk (slow jog ~ 34:23), and then I gave up after that when I should have kept going because I had finally achieved that. That was in the Fall of 2011.

Fast forward to this January. I wanted to give running another try. I will admit, I am a fair weather exerciser, so running outside in WI in January was not something I wanted to do. We got a family Y membership and I got started on my running goals a few days a week. I got very comfortable being on the treadmill from January-March as I was able to see how fast I was running and pace myself better. I was able to complete a 5K in 36 minutes, only walking twice. Then at the end of March on a nice, warmer Spring day, I ventured outside to run. OMG, I thought I was going to die. As you said, the wind, sun, road, all took it's toll on me.

I haven't given up wanting to become a better runner, but I feel like I am definitely retraining in a sense now that I am doing it outdoors. The farthest I have been able to run (jog) steady is a little over a mile and a half. I am sure I could push myself more, and I need to push myself to go farther, but that's typically when I stop to walk for the first time.

Reading all of your stories, I feel inspired. Knowing that many of you did quite a bit of intervals between running and walking until you felt comfortable enough to run for farther distances has me convinced that I can do that too.

I have a good friend who is running a half Marathan on September. There is also a relay half marathon option where I would only have to run around 6.5 miles. I am so tempted to sign up, but I am scared, too, as I don't think I have ever run that far in my life, even in my cross country days. But we shall see... I hope I will be able to report back that I did accomplish this after all :smile:

Again, so glad I came across this thread... it was exactly what I needed to read tonight!
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd be a runner, either. Not even last year when I was working out and only jogging around a mile or so once or twice a week. But now I've run five races, came in first in my age group for my first 5k, WON my first 10k, and this past weekend ran a 5k and 10k on Saturday, and then Sunday completed a half marathon. I have two more halfs this month.

563uxh4diaif.jpg
  • hlandry06
    hlandry06 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also always wanted to be a runner and never had run a mile in my life. I did the couch to 5k thing. I just printed out the chart. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml It is a 9 week program, 3x's/week for about 30 minutes. Very doable. It lets you ease into running. I started that last year and it got me on the right track and got me to run a 5k. I am still working on being a "runner" but I can easily run 1 mile now. Still takes effort to run more than that and the most I've done is 4 miles. It definitely is mental! I've lost about 30 lbs from last year running. Get a great pair of running shoes, have a great music playlist (songs that amp you up and try it). At the very least start doing the intervals. Good Luck
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was your age. I never ran before, aside from times I was forced to in phys ed class twenty years earlier. I wanted to run, but always thought either you could, or you couldn't. I didn't know you had to learn how to run: how to pace yourself, how to breathe. When my brother and niece started running 5k races together, I thought, "Hey, they're not so genetically different from me. If they could do it, maybe I could, too!"

I started with Couch to 5k. Actually, I started before that by just walking the dog a little more, and was dismayed that I could barely keep up with a Pekingese who had three inch legs. But I started C25K and found that if I went slower, I could run one minute straight, then 90 seconds straight the next week, then a little more the next... In a little over a month, I was able to run one mile! About a month after that, I could run a 5k! I was amazed. A few months later, I was running races and keeping up with my then 25 year old niece and her dad who'd been running forever.

Since then, I kept up running, but have had some setbacks. A stress fracture, a bout with depression, a lower back injury. Now, I'm perfectly content with adding walk intervals if I feel I need them. I enjoy running a lot more when I have them and it doesn't affect my overall pace all that much. So that would be my advice... don't worry if you need to walk some. Run a couple minutes, walk one, then run some more, and walk a little more. You'll still get the distance done.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It can be done. No doubt. I know this first hand.

First, I have been fat most all of my life. Only in good shape when I was 23 and younger, but even then was overwieght. I tried getting into running when I was 18 or 19, but always developed a nasty case of shin splints and would stop. When I was 23 years old I had a knee injury that sidelined me for a long time, and I never got back into good health after that, always assuming I would trash my knee if I tried being too active.

January 2nd, 2014 I had just turned 42, weighed 316 pounds and was determined to be borderline diabetic, put on Metformin to help out and told to eat no more than 120g total carbs per day. I did this and started losing weight at a surprising rate.

On April 3rd, 2014 I had finished a follow-up appointment, weighing 284 pounds (32 lost in 3 months). My numbers were all better on my blood labs. I assumed I would soon hit a plateau on my weight loss and wanted to continue, so I decided to start a regular routine of walking. I walked 2 miles that day.

I continued walking nearly every day, increasing my mileage as soon as I felt the current distance was no longer a challenge. I wanted to feel like I worked out with my walks. I was walking 3 miles each time by the end of that first month, and by the end of May the next month was walking 4 miles and had begun walking EVERY day. By the end of June I was going 6 miles every day, taking about an hour and 50 minutes each time.

I suspected at some point I might not have enough time in the day to keep pushing myself further by walking alone. I began wondering while on my walks what I would do to go higher impact. The thought of running crossed my mind and I laughed, literally laughed at myself for the thought. My knees could never take up running! Especially at this age! So I assumed biking would be my next choice.

So July 9, 2014 rolls around and I go on my 6 mile walk. I was needing to either walk further or move on to my next activity like biking but I was strapped at that time, could not afford a bike. I decided to run for short bursts during my walk.

Looking back at the data for that day, and in the next few runs afterward, I would only run for a minute or so each time, if that. I ran 13 times this way on that walk. I kept doing this on each successive walk. However I did learn from some soreness that I should not do this EVERY day like I had been doing with walking. So I switched to running/walking 3 or 4 times per week.

By the end of July I realized I was regularly walking/running 6 miles all the time so I could complete a 10k with no problem, and live the rest of my life knowing I had actually done a 10k! So I signed up for one. By my final run before the race the longest single run burst I had completed was just under 1 mile.

September 20, 2014 was the date of my 10k. I had never run in a race and was told I should start towards the back and just pace myself with people as long as I could. I did exactly that, keeping up with those around me as we started. I passed mile 1 and kept going. It was at that point a personal record. I reached mile 2 and kept going! By the time I reached mile marker 3 I knew that there was no reason I could not actually run the whole way unless I just collapsed...and that was what I was focused on for the rest of the race. I completed the whole 10k running in 1 hour, 17 minutes and 41 seconds! I was SO TIRED, but SO PROUD! I can not describe the feeling in words.

That day proved a lot to me. I could run further than my mind previously was telling me. I could run so much further than I thought without dying or injuring myself! Granted, I was quite sore that night and the next day. But I recovered.

Knowing I could run 6 miles and being familiar with the concept of 10% increases per week (and also having looked at Hal Higdon running plans), I looked at upcoming races. In my mind I wondered if I could do a half marathon before the end of the year. The latest one in the year that I found in town was scheduled for November 15th, 8 weeks away. I realized I could actually follow such a training plan and reach that mileage in time for that race, so I signed up!

The next few weeks were a little harsh, I admit. I struggled to get further than 6 miles, and in the process learned a lot more about my body, and how to fuel it. One thing I will credit running for, it has taught me more about my physiology than any courses I ever took in school (Granted, I'm an IT guy, not my forte).

I managed to reach 12 miles as my longest distance run prior to the half marathon. I had great confidence I could do it. And I did, finishing in 3 hours and 9 seconds.

Those last few weeks ahead of that half marathon I looked back at the changes I went through over that one year alone, from January to then in November. It may sound strange, but I am not so much proud as I am humbled by it. I can do this, I know it now. I am pushing myself further still. I keep doing it because I still can. I don't know why I never did this before, especially some 20 years ago when all of this would have been easier. But I can do it, and I plan to never look back. If I step back, I can always look ahead again.

It is possible. I encourage you to just do it. Not trying to sound corny. Just start with what you can do, and just keep going.

Sorry for such a long post.

I have a very similar story...

overweight my entire life.... did my first 5k 4 years ago, after losing about 30lbs. I was around 180lbs. SLOW time, but finished which was my goal.

After a while, had a 10k goal in mind, took me a couple of years to work up the courage to actually do it. Last year, I just decided to find one and do it. Did my first 10k in October 2014, again, goal was to finish. I finished in 1:15... which was awesome! On a whim that night I signed up for a half marathon for December, again my goal was to just finish, and finish I did... a personal best for me pace wise.... finished in 2:08, but that wasn't what I was most proud of, the fact that I ran 13.1 miles was by far one of my biggest accomplishments fitness-wise. Coming from a complete lazy couch potato to running a freakin' half marathon....?

Start slow, do what you can... running has literally become my drug... for real. I will work my entire day around getting in a run. Hell, I went out this morning at 6am for a 6 miler. There is nothing (IMO) like a runners high! GO FOR IT!!!!
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    At the finish line of my half marathon.... 9ohvi7pbihvl.jpg