Intermittent fasting

Options
zeinmr
zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
Heloo fit pals. I am so frustrated and I want to make some dramatic change. just short introduction to my problem: I hit a plateau for the last 4 month. I am 4Kg (9lb) from my goal. I eat healthy and no junk food and I am almost always in calorie deficit. I am starting from today intermittent fasting ( 24hours fasting for 1 day and 16/8 for 5 days and 1 day chating(carb reload). Anyone try intermittent fasting? How was it? Do you lose weight ? For how long you did it? please feel free for any suggestions.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    just an FYI - if you are not losing weight now that is because you are not in a calorie deficit. So if you start IF and do not eat in a deficit then you are going to continue to gain.

Perhaps, you should address the following first:

do you use a food scale?
    do you log everything you eat into MFP?
    are you using the correct entries in MFP database?
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    4 week plateaus are normal, but 4 months is not.

I agree with ndj1979, be sure you are logging every singe thing, including liquid calories.
    I love coffee, with sugar and creamer but that made for about 50+ cals a cup.
    Ok, dont judge but I drink 5 or more 8oz cups a day, that's minimum 250 + killer cals.
    Now it's mostly black no sugar and I've learned to crave it that way.

GL zeinmr, so close to goal is an awesome place to be :) !!!
  • zeinmr
    Options
    I am sorry but I dont believe in calori deficit pe se. Our body always adapt to new conditions and tends to increase or decrese its basal metabolism accordingly. One year ago I can create a caloric deficit by consuming 2500 cal. For the last 4 month I have to go less than 1400- 1500cal which is so hard to maintain.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    zeinmr wrote: »
    I am sorry but I dont believe in calori deficit pe se. Our body always adapt to new conditions and tends to increase or decrese its basal metabolism accordingly. One year ago I can create a caloric deficit by consuming 2500 cal. For the last 4 month I have to go less than 1400- 1500cal which is so hard to maintain.

What you believe does not change that fact that a calorie deficit is what you need to lose weight. Because science.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, get a food scale and learn how to measure/weigh/log accurately.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

BMR drops as weight drops. It's still CI<CO. So should it surprise you that you have to eat less as you lose weight?

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    [

Going to take a wild guess that you're not running your numbers right-either you've figured out your calorie goals wrong, or you're not accurately measuring/recording your food.

As for IF-yes, I did alternate day IF for my weight loss phase, used 5:2IF as the transition into maintenance, and have been using 16:8IF for the past two years, as part of my maintenance plan. The first two methods have a calorie deficit built into them, but 16:8IF does not, and you still need to run your numbers (correctly) and plug them into your eating window. All's 16:8IF does is designate a certain time to eat, but you could still eat over on calories in your eating window and gain weight if you're not being intentional about eating at a deficit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is really an eating schedule. I actually do 16/8 every day except Saturday where I go off everything and take a break. I do not loose weight doing this at all unless I am in a deficit... cannot consume your normal calories over these days and loose weight or fat. Does not and will NOT work this way.

IMO I think basically what you are doing is carb cycling and the one day of no eating is basically carb cycling but with no food..
  • ndj1979
    Options

The nice thing about CICO is that you do not have to believe in it or not, it just is...

You say that you don't believe in calorie deficit but the you admit that you had to create on to lose weight?

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It's no surprise that our caloric allowance goes down as we shrink, but I've never seen mine go that low.

• zeinmr
    Options
    OKKKKK. When I say I dont beleive in calorie deficit I mean it is not as simple as it is. It is obvious when we create caloric deficit we will lose weight it is the first physics rule we learn but what I mean is what are the chemical reactions and what hormone that affect your calories in and out. the caloric deficit is just the an outcome of a complex enzymatic and hormonal reactions.
    Have you ever read good calories bad calories by Gary Taubes?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OKKKKK. When I say I dont beleive in calorie deficit I mean it is not as simple as it is. It is obvious when we create caloric deficit we will lose weight it is the first physics rule we learn but what I mean is what are the chemical reactions and what hormone that affect your calories in and out. the caloric deficit is just the an outcome of a complex enzymatic and hormonal reactions.
    Have you ever read good calories bad calories by Gary Taubes?

There is no such thing as good and bad calories.

100 calories of donuts = 100 calories of carrots from an energy perspective. However, they are not the same nutritionally.

What matters is the context of your overall diet and that you are hitting macros/micros, and your calorie targets for the day. So yes, eat nutrient dense foods, but there is nothing wrong with filling in your day with treats like ice cream, pizza, etc..

chemical reactions, hormones, etc are factored into the CI or CO side of CICO, so they are still included in the formula.

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    [

Going to take a wild guess that you're not running your numbers right-either you've figured out your calorie goals wrong, or you're not accurately measuring/recording your food.

As for IF-yes, I did alternate day IF for my weight loss phase, used 5:2IF as the transition into maintenance, and have been using 16:8IF for the past two years, as part of my maintenance plan. The first two methods have a calorie deficit built into them, but 16:8IF does not, and you still need to run your numbers (correctly) and plug them into your eating window. All's 16:8IF does is designate a certain time to eat, but you could still eat over on calories in your eating window and gain weight if you're not being intentional about eating at a deficit.

How do you do 2 very low calorie days per week without burning too much muscle? If you can only burn so much body fat per day?
  • PrincessMermaidAngel
    PrincessMermaidAngel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Brand new here....what is CICO?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Brand new here....what is CICO?

"Calories in, calories out."
  • zeinmr
    Options
    the example you gave about 100cal is not accurate since both of them are very rich in carbs. Lets try in this way 100 cal donuts and 100 cal fats. The first will surge you insulin level which is ana lipogenic hormone that blocks fats elimination while the second one wont affect your insulin so if you are in catabolic state you will still use your fat as energy. Does it make sense?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    the example you gave about 100cal is not accurate since both of them are very rich in carbs. Lets try in this way 100 cal donuts and 100 cal fats. The first will surge you insulin level which is ana lipogenic hormone that blocks fats elimination while the second one wont affect your insulin so if you are in catabolic state you will still use your fat as energy. Does it make sense?

no that makes absolutely no sense.

You are comparing carrots to a macronutrient, that is like comparing apples to oranges.

So you are trying to say that if I eat a 100 calorie donut, and I am in a deficit for the day, that I will still store fat even though I am in a calorie deficit, because insulin? Do you have any peer reviewed sources on this, besides Taubes? Secondly, protein also spikes insulin, so will that also lead to fat being stored?

and you never answered my question about if you use a food scale or not...
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Pointing out that the author of that book is working off some faulty assumptions. Found this a while back, and for being an article that evaluates scientific research, it's written in a way that a non-biologist can understand.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Where this thread is headed (if not there, already):

Trainwreck.jpg