Tear me a new one,gained 8lbs despite diet and exercise, please help

Options

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned the thyroid yet ;) because as well as MFP being able to build muscle at incredible rates it also has the highest rate of thyroid issues on the planet
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    acollis1 wrote: »
    Donuts, potato chips, pizza OH MY! You need to weigh/ measure everything! Try cutting out some of the crap, you take in alot of sodium! One day you were over by almost 2000 caloires, it only takes 3500 to equal 1 pound, and you were over a couple other days too, it adds up. Allow yourself a "cheat" once a week, not everyday!

*sigh* ..eating "crap" has nothing to do with it. It is the fact that the logging is not accurate and non use of a food scale.

You can eat donuts and what not, be in a deficit, and still lose weight.

Well since eating crap at a deficit isn't working for her..... For me if I eat junk I don't lose weight, I feel bloated and my performance suffers in my workouts. When I eat good healthy food my body responds much better to my efforts. That's all I'm saying!
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary and I agree with others on the generic entries and measurements.

You really need to weigh your food. I used to use the "1 potato, medium, baked in skin" entry. Then I weighed what I thought was a "medium" potato. It was not a medium potato. Also avoid entries with an asterisk that you can't verify and/or do not have multiple confirmations. If you're not sure, find one that says USDA if you can. The barcode scanner is also not always accurate - be sure you verify back to the nutrition info on the package.

I have an entire separate category for alcohol on my diary. Separating it out was really helpful for seeing exactly how much of my daily allowance was going to booze. Also, be aware that an average shot glass is not 1 oz when full, it's more like 1.5 oz. I would suggest grabbing a 99 cent 1 oz or 1/2 oz jigger from the liquor store to measure your spirits. Those extra little bits add up, especially if you drink often or in quantity. Oh, and flavored liquors are way higher in calories than the non-flavored versions so be sure you're logging the right thing.

Just as a whatever, after I started tracking my alcohol separately, I also found an interesting pattern: I ate a lot more and/or gave up on my daily calorie goal much faster on days that I also drank a lot. Seeing that motivated me to change my habits.

Good luck, op.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Donuts, potato chips, pizza OH MY! You need to weigh/ measure everything! Try cutting out some of the crap, you take in alot of sodium! One day you were over by almost 2000 caloires, it only takes 3500 to equal 1 pound, and you were over a couple other days too, it adds up. Allow yourself a "cheat" once a week, not everyday!

*sigh* ..eating "crap" has nothing to do with it. It is the fact that the logging is not accurate and non use of a food scale.

Well since eating crap at a deficit isn't working for her..... For me if I eat junk I don't lose weight, I feel bloated and my performance suffers in my workouts. When I eat good healthy food my body responds much better to my efforts. That's all I'm saying!

Have you read the thread? It's unlikely, given the state of her logging, that she IS at a deficit.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

She's NOT eating at deficit. Her logging isn't accurate.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I know I have to live off celery and egg whites and workout three hours a day to really make it work

False.

+1

What a sad world that would be.

And Yes to what everyone else is saying... get a food scale and work on your logging accuracy.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Yeah I read the thread and looked at her diary, she's way over and inaccurate. Its amazing how people crucify you for suggesting a little clean eating. You don't have to be so exact with your measurements when your eating whole foods. Palm size serving of lean meat, one piece of fruit, handful of nuts. If measuring and weighing is too overwhelming this is an option

• janejellyroll
    Options

Yeah I read the thread and looked at her diary, she's way over and inaccurate. Its amazing how people crucify you for suggesting a little clean eating. You don't have to be so exact with your measurements when your eating whole foods. Palm size serving of lean meat, one piece of fruit, handful of nuts. If measuring and weighing is too overwhelming this is an option

Crucifixion? Really? You must have a wonderfully tranquil life if someone disagreeing with you on the internet makes you feel like you are being crucified.

If your goal is "x" and the calories in fruit and nuts make you go over "x," you will not meet your goal.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I am going with inaccurate logging + no food scale for 1000.00 Alex....

Cosigned.

I know some people are resistant to the idea of weighing their intake, but it is soooo very effective in getting your portions correct.

Here's a video showing the difference between eyeballing and using a scale:

And here's another one where vismal is using spoons and such to measure and is measuring a packaged food:

When you purposefully lay out a table to hide calories and demonstrate how much difference there can be between weighing food and eyeballing it, of course there is going to be a large difference. Most people don't underestimate their calories by as much as the guy in the video did. The larger the meal, the more people underestimate. For smaller meals, people are pretty good at guessing. Weighing one's food is one way to handle the problem, but not having a food scale isn't necessarily going to cause someone to eat too much.
  • Ninkyou
    Options

She didn't suggest 'a little clean eating'. She suggested she needs to live off of celery and egg whites... which is false.

She can eat whatever she wants in the context of weight loss, as long as she maintains a deficit. If that's from 'clean' eating or otherwise, that's her choice. But if there's no deficit, there will be no weight loss.

I think crucify is a bit strong of a term to use in this scenario. OP clearly stated in her title to rip her a new one... meaning she wants honest and truthful (maybe even hard to hear) advice.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

She didn't suggest 'a little clean eating'. She suggested she needs to live off of celery and egg whites... which is false.

She can eat whatever she wants in the context of weight loss, as long as she maintains a deficit. If that's from 'clean' eating or otherwise, that's her choice. But if there's no deficit, there will be no weight loss.

I think crucify is a bit strong of a term to use in this scenario. OP clearly stated in her title to rip her a new one... meaning she wants honest and truthful (maybe even hard to hear) advice.

I think @acollis1 is suggesting that she herself is being "crucified," not OP.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

What kind of lean meat? There's a difference between chicken and fish, and even differences between white meat and dark meat chicken. I won't even get into how you could go overboard with nuts.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I think @acollis1 is suggesting that she herself is being "crucified," not OP.

Uh... ok. I still don't see any crucifixion, even with that...
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    No one has mentioned the thyroid yet ;) because as well as MFP being able to build muscle at incredible rates it also has the highest rate of thyroid issues on the planet

Also I have noticed that for anyone 30-39, the 30's are when it gets harder to lose weight. Repeat for the 40's, 50's and 60's. Everyone struggling is just in that one decade where it's not as easy as it is for everyone else.

Oh and I'm happy to have learned today that pointing out when someone is incorrect is exactly the same as nailing them to a cross and letting them die in slow agony. I guess from now on I'll take my hammer wherever I go...
  • sciencenovice
    sciencenovice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am going with inaccurate logging + no food scale for 1000.00 Alex....

Cosigned.

I know some people are resistant to the idea of weighing their intake, but it is soooo very effective in getting your portions correct.

Here's a video showing the difference between eyeballing and using a scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

And here's another one where vismal is using spoons and such to measure and is measuring a packaged food:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5sovhvLAig

damn, that first video is crazy!!! 2900 VS 1700!!????
    I love this! Thank you for sharing!!! Crap... That's a huge eye opener!!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    you eat to much
    When you gain you eat to much calories

Now the cause can be not weighing your food
    Here a small video in addition to the earlier posted video's

Short one showing only what a difference it makes for some peanut butter and oats So two kinds of foods that makes hundreds of difference by weighing on a food scale or measuring cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Just be more accurate in your logging!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't have to eat just celery and egg whites if you get a food scale!
    I don't use mine religiously, but I always use it on calorie dense items, and every once in a while I take a week and weigh everything to make sure I'm not getting out of control. I have to say for me personally, the food scale takes all the stress out of this for me! Before I would eyeball portions and always have this nagging worry that I ate too much. Now when I get into that psyche, i can weigh out my portions and be confidant I'm doing what i need to.

If you can't see yourself using it all the time, at least use it for a week or two so you can figure out where your problem is. Hang in there :drinker:
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    you eat to much
    When you gain you eat to much calories

Now the cause can be not weighing your food
    Here a small video in addition to the earlier posted video's

Short one showing only what a difference it makes for some peanut butter and oats So two kinds of foods that makes hundreds of difference by weighing on a food scale or measuring cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Just be more accurate in your logging!

I like this video much better - shows the actual measurements in cups/tbsp vs grams and calorie differences per food.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Get a digital scale. Log accurately by weighing in grams or ounces and using verified choices in the MFP food log. By that I mean search for entries that are based on the USDA nutritional info or look at the food labels on what you eat and verify it against the entries you find in the system.

You have a lot of entries like "Aladdin BBQ Chicken Breast, 1 breast." A chicken breast can be small or huge and the calories change accordingly. Same for "Watermelon, 3.13 cup." It's great that you appear to be measuring in some way but stuff like that needs to be weighed whenever possible. Especially since all of your watermelon measurements end in .13 cup. The odds of all of your watermelon servings ending in .13 cup are low, which makes me think that you are bs'ing your measurements.

You also seem to drink a lot of your calories. That is a personal preference but keep in mind that you may find solid foods more filling than liquids.

Good advice here.

Also, stick with it longer than a couple of weeks. You yourself said you've only been at this for a month, and that the first week or two you were logging what you ate without restriction and eating an "entire pound" worth of calories in one day sometimes. You could still be seeing the effects of that weight gain. A couple of weeks isn't long enough to see results.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    i started really getting serious about MFP and working out on April 6. I've lost a lot of weight before, but I'm not sure if it because I'm in my thirties now or what but I just can't drop any weight.

Anyway, I started logging everything, even my cheat days. Which was eye opening! After a week of deficit and working out I'd actually eat an entire pounds worth of calories in one day! Negating the entire 6 days. So I reigned that mess in and just stuck within maintenance of cheats were to come up. That's been just over 2 weeks.

I also had a calculated TDEE of 2270 and put my calorie goal at 1470. I workout 5 days a week and try not to eat back my calories. If I do eat back my calories, its about 100-200 calories over 1470, and not everyday.

No, I don't have a scale, though I measure and portion almost all of my food. Plus I try to add a bigger size or 10% more calories to what I'm unsure of. I feel like it's better to over shoot calories than under.

I think my diary is open, so you can see sometimes I sneak chips or ice cream in if my calories allow it. I know I haven't been perfect, but I don't know how it's *kitten* possible I gained almost 10lbs in a month!!! My clothes are not fitting any better. My only improvement is muscle definition in my arms. I Jazzercise, kickbox, and do interval strength training about 50 minutes at day. Sometimes more sometimes less.

Please tell me how I can possibly have *kitten* up this bad??? I mean I never gained this much not trying!

I know I have to live off celery and egg whites and workout three hours a day to really make it work but I was hoping for a conservative sustainable way of life. And yesterday's entry was my *kitten* it all to hell in eating 8lbs I beer and pizza because it doesn't matter anyway.

No. Just, no. I've lost almost 60lbs and I've been maintaining for over two years now-I eat all the foods that I enjoy, just make it fit into my calorie goals. During my active weight loss phase I ate out 2-3 times a week (and no salads, snort). Heck, last week I think I had pizza out 3 times (lost count lol).

First-stop using words like 'cheat' days, 'sneaking' etc. This is not a healthy attitude towards food. Food is food, and you can eat all the foods that you like, GUILT FREE, just by figuring out how to fit them into your calorie goals.

Second-make sure you're running your numbers correctly. I used a couple different online calculators to make sure I was following the right calorie deficit number.

Third-a food scale is under $20 and it can be a huge help. It's so worth it to pick one up and see where you're really at. It's very easy to mis-judge food by eyeballing it.

Fourth-I did not exercise during my active weight loss phase. It's very easy to over-estimate calories burned, and that can lead to all sorts of issues. Really make sure you're not eating more calories back then you're actually burning.