Need Paleo Cake Ideas

Options

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Assuming they aren't Paleo due to food allergies or whatever, just bake a normal cake but tell them it's Paleo.

This is a really dangerous thing to do. It reminds me of the guy who was head cook for a time at the historic site where we volunteer. He didn't believe in food allergies. He would put nuts in things, without telling anyone, because he liked the flavor/texture the nuts added to his recipes, and nuts were "historically accurate" ingredients.

He could have killed someone. When they found out, he wasn't allowed to cook for them anymore.

Yeah, a lot of paleo recipes are almond-based, but to present something with a specific label, and lie about it, well... it's irresponsible at the least. (Especially if someone were to see the label and eat the cake, someone with a life-threatening gluten allergy, who was able to eat almonds, just not wheat. Some unsuspecting wedding guest... collateral damage. I know people whose gluten sensitivity is life-threatening. They trust their friends, when we label something as safe for them to eat. Well, let's say they trust *some* of their friends, the ones who take their allergies seriously, and haven't made them ill when they've shared a meal.)

Uh, that's why I said "assuming they aren't Paleo because of food allergies or whatever" (the whatever part obviously being other food sensitivities). Did you actually read what I posted?

I did actually read what you posted. Isn't wedding cake usually shared with guests? Would the couple necessarily know about every guest's food allergy? If a regular cake were labeled "paleo" and wasn't, well, think of the consequences.

Also, people who are used to eating paleo style can get sick from what you'd call "normal" food, even if they didn't manifest allergies before. It's like the body is a fine-tuned machine that gets used to functioning on high octane fuel. It might have run on sludgy fuel before, and didn't know what feeling really healthy and energetic felt like, because running on bad fuel was "normal." (I didn't know how bad I was feeling until I started to feel good, for a personal testimony. I didn't know bad was bad -- it was my "normal"! I never want to go back.)

How awful to be miserable on your wedding night because a "friend" didn't have the integrity to honor your wishes, or at the very least turn down your request.

I am not a paleo nazi. I am not saying it is the only healthy way to eat, or even that it's healthy for everyone. I'm only saying that if *you* were *my* friend, and I had made such a request, and you gave me a wheat-based cake and called it paleo... well, as the old saying goes, with friends like these, who needs enemies?

So lighten up. The whole deal, how I understand it, is that a *friend* asked a *friend* to bake a special kind of cake (and hopefully make it tasty), and that *friend* is enough of a friend to want to do a good job, and not merely pretend to be a friend.

Sheesh.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This should work. It is very tasty. It uses ground sunflower seeds and walnuts.

talesofakitchen.com/desserts/chocolate-banana-cake-with-caramel-layer-and-cacao-nibs/
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    How about a meatloaf cake? With meatballs in a kale cup, like small cupcakes?

Or you could go with a dense fruitcake, made with honey.

Why not think outside the box on what cake is, and do something Paleo that also fits occasion
    It probably won't be a traditional wedding cake.
  • homesweeths
    edited May 2015
    Options
    katrinkaMN wrote: »
    you are going to think i'm nuts, but I use box cake mix and diet pop. it's still moist therefore it lasts longer and just as sweet but minus a LOT of calories ;) I use dark pop for dark cakes and light pop for yellow/white cake mixes. :)

I imagine the carbonation in the pop makes it nice and light, too. It's not something I can have anymore (diet pop and I parted ways a long time ago due to migraines) but I used to bake a lot and can just imagine how this recipe would turn out.

One of our teens' favorite things to do with cake mix is to make marbled chocolate gooey butter cake. Yum. She's slim and has trouble keeping weight on, so she can eat practically a whole cake with no trouble.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Lukyanenko wrote: »
    alfiedn wrote: »
    Here's a website. I just googled "paleo cake" and there were tons of recipe options!

Yeah, I tried google and was overwhelmed by all the different flours and wanted to see if there was anyone who had some go to recipes.

I have seen a lot of paleo baking recipes lately that mix almond/coconut, or coconut/arrowroot or tapioca. I don't bake much anymore, so I can't offer an opinion on the best combination for what you're aiming at. Just know that baking with coconut flour can be very tricky. There's lots of advice to be found on the web. (I have only had good results with the few recipes I've tried, but I have read some sorry stories.)
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Oh, and check out the new book "Paleo Patisserie". A pastry chef took on the epic task of creating incredible baked goods using "paleo" ingredients. Some of my paleo friends would cringe, hard-core as they are, but I'm just in awe at some people's creativity.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Putting on my best toddler face. "He started it!"

LOL.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    you are going to think i'm nuts, but I use box cake mix and diet pop. it's still moist therefore it lasts longer and just as sweet but minus a LOT of calories ;) I use dark pop for dark cakes and light pop for yellow/white cake mixes. :)

Is soda paleo now?

That's good information to have.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    *whispers* You know paleo is a lie, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »

Is soda paleo now?

Yes. And so is box cake mix.

Totes paleo.

Also raw vegan.
  • Lukyanenko
    Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Assuming they aren't Paleo due to food allergies or whatever, just bake a normal cake but tell them it's Paleo.

This is a really dangerous thing to do. It reminds me of the guy who was head cook for a time at the historic site where we volunteer. He didn't believe in food allergies. He would put nuts in things, without telling anyone, because he liked the flavor/texture the nuts added to his recipes, and nuts were "historically accurate" ingredients.

He could have killed someone. When they found out, he wasn't allowed to cook for them anymore.

Yeah, a lot of paleo recipes are almond-based, but to present something with a specific label, and lie about it, well... it's irresponsible at the least. (Especially if someone were to see the label and eat the cake, someone with a life-threatening gluten allergy, who was able to eat almonds, just not wheat. Some unsuspecting wedding guest... collateral damage. I know people whose gluten sensitivity is life-threatening. They trust their friends, when we label something as safe for them to eat. Well, let's say they trust *some* of their friends, the ones who take their allergies seriously, and haven't made them ill when they've shared a meal.)

Uh, that's why I said "assuming they aren't Paleo because of food allergies or whatever" (the whatever part obviously being other food sensitivities). Did you actually read what I posted?

I did actually read what you posted. Isn't wedding cake usually shared with guests? Would the couple necessarily know about every guest's food allergy? If a regular cake were labeled "paleo" and wasn't, well, think of the consequences.

Also, people who are used to eating paleo style can get sick from what you'd call "normal" food, even if they didn't manifest allergies before. It's like the body is a fine-tuned machine that gets used to functioning on high octane fuel. It might have run on sludgy fuel before, and didn't know what feeling really healthy and energetic felt like, because running on bad fuel was "normal." (I didn't know how bad I was feeling until I started to feel good, for a personal testimony. I didn't know bad was bad -- it was my "normal"! I never want to go back.)

How awful to be miserable on your wedding night because a "friend" didn't have the integrity to honor your wishes, or at the very least turn down your request.

I am not a paleo nazi. I am not saying it is the only healthy way to eat, or even that it's healthy for everyone. I'm only saying that if *you* were *my* friend, and I had made such a request, and you gave me a wheat-based cake and called it paleo... well, as the old saying goes, with friends like these, who needs enemies?

So lighten up. The whole deal, how I understand it, is that a *friend* asked a *friend* to bake a special kind of cake (and hopefully make it tasty), and that *friend* is enough of a friend to want to do a good job, and not merely pretend to be a friend.

Sheesh.

You made me cry a little, you are awesome. And she is a really good friend, who supported me when I had a vegan phase, so I will not let her down here.

• Lukyanenko
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This should work. It is very tasty. It uses ground sunflower seeds and walnuts.

talesofakitchen.com/desserts/chocolate-banana-cake-with-caramel-layer-and-cacao-nibs/

Thank You!

• Lukyanenko
    Options
    How about a meatloaf cake? With meatballs in a kale cup, like small cupcakes?

Or you could go with a dense fruitcake, made with honey.

Why not think outside the box on what cake is, and do something Paleo that also fits occasion
    It probably won't be a traditional wedding cake.

That is awesome ideas! When it comes to Paleo I'm clueless, so learning what it is and what I can do with it is part of the challenge here.

• homesweeths
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »

Is soda paleo now?

No, soda in its present form is not, sad to say. I'm sure lots of folks would like it to be. However, I'm intrigued by the idea that pioneers on the Oregon Trail actually experienced carbonated drinks when they camped at Soda Springs, where (I read) the water is naturally carbonated. I wonder if the Native Americans of the area (going back however many centuries) appreciated carbonated water as something special, or if they thought it was cursed?

And while there are companies now producing all kinds of convenience foods and mixes now, and labeling them "paleo", I'm not sure they fit the definition, which, to my understanding, is to minimize artificial colors and flavors and preservatives and unpronounceable chemical compounds, and go back to cooking ingredients taken from as close to their natural state as possible (organic fruits and veggies, wild-caught seafood, pastured animals and poultry). That's the ideal, anyhow. Though it's not something we can manage 100%, we do the best we can.

My family catches a lot fewer colds, strep throat, and flu bugs than we used to, our teens don't need acne meds and their hair is now thick and shiny, and my joint pain is so much improved that I don't need to spend $$$ on prescription painkillers anymore, so that's something.
  • Lukyanenko
    Options
    Oh, and check out the new book "Paleo Patisserie". A pastry chef took on the epic task of creating incredible baked goods using "paleo" ingredients. Some of my paleo friends would cringe, hard-core as they are, but I'm just in awe at some people's creativity.

That book looks great! Have gotten it for kindle, considering buying a copy as a wedding gift. But the couple is medium intensity going for hardcore, so they might give it back to me (not that I'm going to mind).

• Lukyanenko
    edited May 2015
    Options
    *whispers* You know paleo is a lie, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

Sure...? But that's not the point in this? I mean, the Bride is one of my bes friends and supported me when I decided to become vegan, when I was a militant vegan for a while she nodded and smiled and nudged me to a more neutral stance, she also supported me when I decided being a vegan wasn't for me. So I'm going to make her a Paleo Cake. Because she is my friend.

• homesweeths
    edited May 2015
    Options
    (And I was simply responding to katrinka's enthusiasm, earlier, not passing judgment on how paleo or un-paleo her cake making is. I remember fondly some of those concoctions, like gooey butter cake, and that dessert you made with cake mix and cherry pie filling, and the incredibly light and delicious pie made by mixing Jello pudding with Dream Whip. Of course, I'm sure that eating those things helped contribute to being unhealthy and obese, but I still remember them fondly. I can smile at them in the rearview mirror.)

Sorry, if by responding with kindness to katrinka's comment, I gave the impression that pop and cake mix would be welcomed by those trying to live a paleo lifestyle.

(Edited because I mis-attributed a comment)