Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    kelziemba wrote: »
    I just looked at your diary and stopped at Timmies coffee. I'm in the UK now but oh how I miss my Canadian Timmies every morning lol

It's always baffled me how Tim's has become a point of pride in Canada. Really, their coffee is mediocre at best. I'd rather drink dishwater.

*Ducks* Don't take away my Canadian citizenship!

Well it does depend on the Tim's you go to...we have 3 here in town...I only go to one as their coffee is pretty consistent and good...the other two...ick.

Mind you I don't get them often now as I buy the kcups with the dark roast....nom nom...and that way I get 10% cream not 18% cream...

ETA: it is our way tho...I prefer Tim's to starbucks...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kelziemba wrote: »
    Interestingly there are people who say they have done fine and coped well on 1200 and there's people who feel 1200 is doomed to terrible hunger and inevitable failure and there's people somewhere in the middle. There's people who've recommended upping the calories by a small bit up to quite a bit. There's also been many who've pointed out one of the keys to more calorie allowance is more exercise.

Yep, people vary. And people can even change over time. My view is that if you feel good on 1200 now, there's no harm--I did 1250 when I was over 200 lbs (I probably was at an even lower count when I was at my highest weight, since I didn't start logging immediately) and felt fine. I suspect this was because at that stage my body was so relieved to start dropping the excess weight that I just felt energized.

The only warning I'd give you is that you shouldn't get frustrated if 1200 stops feeling easy (it did for me) or you want more variety. As you go on it will make sense to either let your rate of loss decline or start adding in more exercise and thus get more calories. Rather than eat less as I got lighter I've consistently eaten more (I've lost 95 lbs).
    Finally, I'm also flexible enough to know that if things start feeling unpleasant for me on this journey, I will take stock and think about trying out other ideas.

Perfect. I think it sounds as if you are doing well and have a good attitude about all this.
  • CatherineD9889
    CatherineD9889 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    rkcampbell wrote: »
    I tried the 1200 thing for awhile but was always hungry. I switched it to 1500 plus any workout and find I am still steadily losing. (5'7" female 183lb)

What she said!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just got off the 1200 cal limit and jumped up to 1500 because it was impossible for me to live like that!! I work a desk job and seriously I was still always hungry and didn't have enough cals leftover when I got off work for a snack - very frustrating to live like that. I also try to eat as much fresh produce as possible and still couldn't keep my calories down. Now I have room for a night snack and it's not as stressful to try to cram everything into a 1200 cal budget.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

As for fresh food, I don't eat spoiled food, of course, but I'm always confused how people think they have fresh produce available in all seasons unless they just are lucky in where they live. I live in Chicago, so if I ate only fresh local produce I wouldn't be able to eat fruit or veggies much of the year. Also luckily for me I don't think that I have to be so limited in my thinking to care about nutrition, and so while I enjoy fresh and local I also eat canned tomatoes and frozen veggies and various things carted in from elsewhere.

@lemurcat Marino's has amazing produce, cheap and always fresh, good sales. There's also a CSA through Genesis Growers that is always rated high plus tons of pick up spots in Chicago area. :)

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I never did 1200. I think that's too low for most. And you should remember that its a net number. Workout and eat more.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 1200 calorie thing for 197 days and I can't take it anymore. I did steadily lose 1.4 pounds per week on average but I need some variety :) I upped my count today to 1350 and I am scared lol
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 1200 calorie thing for 197 days and I can't take it anymore. I did steadily lose 1.4 pounds per week on average but I need some variety :) I upped my count today to 1350 and I am scared lol

Good for you, enjoy your extra :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    faidwen wrote: »
    I don't really understand why 1200 calories seems low? I am doing 1250 and I am full and eat healthily (or so I think). BUT, I prepare meals that are well balanced and are not calorie rich. Of course I love the healthy low calorie vegetables, salads, etc. I never eat bread, and I consume 12+ glasses of water per day.

I use the website Cooksmarts, and a book of 365 Healthy Meals (1 a day) to plan meals on a weekly basis that fit perfectly into this scheme. I exercise about 100 calories worth per day, and I don't eat it back. I now MAKE everything that I eat, from homemade hummus, to homemade pita chips, to broccoli rice.

The key is to have fun with the meal planning, for which I am extremely proud.

1250 isn't ridiculous, at least for me. It is all about planning, and knowing what you can "fill-up" on without adding ridiculous fruitless calories.

Good Luck! -- of course, I've only been REALLY at it for 40 days on MFP :smiley: but since January I've lost nearly 60 lbs.

@faidwen - congrats on your loss so far. However, I would consider 1250 for a male to be a very low calorie diet (VLCD) which means it should be done under a physician's supervision (someone who specializes in these type of weight loss protocols). On your own and at a larger size an 1800 kcal minimum would be advisable.
  • riderfangal
    Options

Good for you, enjoy your extra :)

Thank you, I certainly will :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

I do approx 1350 / day and have lost 30 lbs since the end of January of this year. I am 5'6 and (now) weigh 213. I did weigh 244 when I started in Jan.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    Just got off the 1200 cal limit and jumped up to 1500 because it was impossible for me to live like that!! I work a desk job and seriously I was still always hungry and didn't have enough cals leftover when I got off work for a snack - very frustrating to live like that. I also try to eat as much fresh produce as possible and still couldn't keep my calories down. Now I have room for a night snack and it's not as stressful to try to cram everything into a 1200 cal budget.

As for fresh food, I don't eat spoiled food, of course, but I'm always confused how people think they have fresh produce available in all seasons unless they just are lucky in where they live. I live in Chicago, so if I ate only fresh local produce I wouldn't be able to eat fruit or veggies much of the year. Also luckily for me I don't think that I have to be so limited in my thinking to care about nutrition, and so while I enjoy fresh and local I also eat canned tomatoes and frozen veggies and various things carted in from elsewhere.

@lemurcat Marino's has amazing produce, cheap and always fresh, good sales. There's also a CSA through Genesis Growers that is always rated high plus tons of pick up spots in Chicago area. :)

But that's not fresh local produce. Not in January and largely not even now.

I have a CSA (the one with the longest delivery season I could find, which happens to be Genesis -- they do have winter delivery, but you don't get produce, really), and I've been to Mariano's, of course.

Not sure how that's responsive, though, as Genesis only just started up the spring season and has limited produce at the moment (can't blame them, it's a function of seasons and all!). Many local CSAs haven't started yet. The various local green markets also have limited produce at the moment (asparagus showed up at mine for the first time this past weekend), including the huge one in Lincoln Park. And Mariano's, like every other grocery store in town (include WF), has no more fresh local produce than really exists. So when I buy my zucchini or broccoli or brussels sprouts there or from my perfectly adequate local Jewel or WF or TJ or Treasure Island or whatever, it's still not really fresh in the way I mean. It's from quite far away. (Tastes fine, IMO, if not as good as the local stuff will in the summer.)

Do people not realize this or are we talking past each other?

My point is that if not for the whole big agricultural system that people like to slam those of us in northern cities would be stuck with home canned produce, dried beans and grains,and cellared root veggies/potatoes, apples, and meat during the winter. It's that it can be frozen, commercially canned (not my preference, but for tomatoes), or carted in from far away that allows us to buy fruits and veggies much of the year. If we were to focus on what's "natural" or what we'd have in our great grandparents' day or the like, we would not have much in the way of produce in January, and our options would be quite limited even now in early May.

And of course we wouldn't have bananas or mangos or oranges any time.
  • riderfangal
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I do approx 1350 / day and have lost 30 lbs since the end of January of this year. I am 5'6 and (now) weigh 213. I did weigh 244 when I started in Jan.

Good to know. Our stats are very similar. I am 5'4" and now weigh 208 lbs I started at 243 but I started this at the beginning of December. PS I hate exercise and rarely do it although I am trying to get better at least 15 min a day of circuit training
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yep. And if it weren't for GMOs, half the world's population would be starving right now. But people -- mainly rich people from wealthy nations -- love to slam those, too.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Ha..>I hated exercise too until I got a bicycle, and a black lab who I love more than the world itself and who needs regular walking. I can't deprive her of her walk. I do enjoy my bicycle. I have forced myself to go to spin class at the gym and while I dread it every time, when it's over I feel so good I'm glad I did it. Weird. LOL Plus I use the weight machines at the gym to try and combat the flab/fatty look, and it has helped me look remarkably more trim than I did the last time I was at this weight. :)
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use 1200 as my base and then exercise so that I can earn additional calories. I generally earn about 500 calories/day and eat 1/2 of them so that gives me enough to have a glass of wine or some other "treat"
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »
    I think some people are good at skipping meals to accommodate that. I see diaries where people eat fast food for lunch but then no dinner. Or a 100-calorie bag of popcorn for dinner. I can't do that, so I have found the "eat whatever you want as long as it fits" method to not work for me.

The bottom line, is that IIFYM does not work for everyone, just as food restriction doesn't work for other people. I did food restriction for years and I was still fat, and I could never get below a certain weight, which was still in the overweight range. It was only when I learned to include all foods I love that I was able to lose to a healthy weight (now), and to continue to maintain for the last year and a half. I have never before (1) at a healthy weight before I reached what I am now and (2) I have never maintained the same weight range this long.

It's true, everyone needs to do what's right for them.
  • ATHLegal
    ATHLegal Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1900 cal regime and still manage to cut back to 1300. Eat lots of fruit and nuts. Keeps u fuller for longer.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »

But that's not fresh local produce. Not in January and largely not even now.

I have a CSA (the one with the longest delivery season I could find, which happens to be Genesis -- they do have winter delivery, but you don't get produce, really), and I've been to Mariano's, of course.

Not sure how that's responsive, though, as Genesis only just started up the spring season and has limited produce at the moment (can't blame them, it's a function of seasons and all!). Many local CSAs haven't started yet. The various local green markets also have limited produce at the moment (asparagus showed up at mine for the first time this past weekend), including the huge one in Lincoln Park. And Mariano's, like every other grocery store in town (include WF), has no more fresh local produce than really exists. So when I buy my zucchini or broccoli or brussels sprouts there or from my perfectly adequate local Jewel or WF or TJ or Treasure Island or whatever, it's still not really fresh in the way I mean. It's from quite far away. (Tastes fine, IMO, if not as good as the local stuff will in the summer.)

Do people not realize this or are we talking past each other?

My point is that if not for the whole big agricultural system that people like to slam those of us in northern cities would be stuck with home canned produce, dried beans and grains,and cellared root veggies/potatoes, apples, and meat during the winter. It's that it can be frozen, commercially canned (not my preference, but for tomatoes), or carted in from far away that allows us to buy fruits and veggies much of the year. If we were to focus on what's "natural" or what we'd have in our great grandparents' day or the like, we would not have much in the way of produce in January, and our options would be quite limited even now in early May.

And of course we wouldn't have bananas or mangos or oranges any time.

Enjoy that produce while it's coming!! I'm out in California (which supplies a sizable majority of fruits, veggies and nuts for the country), the farmers use 80% of the water. One more year of this drought and and something will have to give (we're bone dry, it's bad).