I'm pretty good with nutrition.

Options
otey743
otey743 Posts: 153 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Add yo boy if you would like to share nutrition tips .

Replies

• otey743
    Options
    Lol where do I begin. What info are you looking for . What's you goal .What are having trouble with .
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    thanks, but I don't want anybody's tip. If I'm gonna take it, it better be the whole damn thing. :p

I have an idea, lets start a nutritional pop-quiz for yo boy, see what level of guru status can be achieved! I'll start.

What is currently considered to be the maximum efficacious daily amount of protein for a non-obese individual who is resistance training?
  • otey743
    Options
    Depends on your goal but I would say 1 gram per body weight . In general.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    otey743 wrote: »
    Depends on your goal but I would say 1 gram per body weight . In general.
    Maximum?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• otey743
    Options
    I don't agree with maximum because of kidney damage. 0.8 is what research shows from studies to be efficient to maintain muscle. When cutting I use more protein and less carbs . Resisting training is geared more to cutting and not bulking . So I say 1 gram per body weight .
  • otey743
    Options
    Well when bulking you lift heavy when cutting you try to keep your heart rate up .
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    So you're saying if I lift heavy whilst keeping my heart rate up, I'll build muscle and lose fat at the same time?!?!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't agree with maximum because of kidney damage. 0.8 is what research shows from studies to be efficient to maintain muscle. When cutting I use more protein and less carbs . Resisting training is geared more to cutting and not bulking . So I say 1 gram per body weight .
    So 2 grams is too much?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Well when bulking you lift heavy when cutting you try to keep your heart rate up .
    Well no. You can't bulk unless there's a calorie surplus regardless of how heavy you lift. In fact you can lift heavy and still cut. Cutting has more to do with calorie deficit rather than keeping your heart rate up.
    So when you mean pretty good with nutrition, does that mean you've read some bodybuilding magazines or that you actually have a background where you went to school for it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• otey743
    Options
    Impossible to lift heavy while cutting you have less carbs less fat in your diet there for you loss strength. Cutting is based on a high heart rate to lose those extra Lbs . That's why you step your cardio game up while cutting.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options

I am one body weight, b/c I only have one body. So I should consume 1 gram of protein. Sweet. I can get one gram of protein from a smallish bunch of grapes.
    Now, is that 1 gram for my body for my entire life, or is there some shorter period of time for which I should be consuming that 1 gram for my body.
  • otey743
    Options
    No you can only do one or the other . And I'm not talking about gaining 10 lbs when bulking I go from 180lbs to 210lbs or higher . I'm sure you can lose fat while gaining muscle but it will be on a small scale.
  • otey743
    Options
    I don't agree with maximum because of kidney damage. 0.8 is what research shows from studies to be efficient to maintain muscle. When cutting I use more protein and less carbs . Resisting training is geared more to cutting and not bulking . So I say 1 gram per Lbs body weight .

I am one body weight, b/c I only have one body. So I should consume 1 gram of protein. Sweet. I can get one gram of protein from a smallish bunch of grapes.
    Now, is that 1 gram for my body for my entire life, or is there some shorter period of time for which I should be consuming that 1 gram for my body.

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Use adjusted body weight with an obese individual. I haven't seen anything over .8g/lb (of ABW in this case) to be beneficial, although I admit I haven't looked at obese studies in this scenario (if someone has, let me know). I would actually err on the side of less in case of kidney complications without a creatinine and BUN reading, just because obesity has many comorbidities and I'd rather had a slightly less effective dose of protein for muscle maintenance in a cut vs the possibility of furthering kidney damage. Depends on the person oc though. 20 yo no other diseases? Fine, .8g/lb ABW will work. 65yo with hypertension? Get a test, err on the side of caution

This is fun! I graduate with my masters in nutrition in 5 weeks. I chose the right career lol.
  • otey743
    Options
    I don't agree with maximum because of kidney damage. 0.8 is what research shows from studies to be efficient to maintain muscle. When cutting I use more protein and less carbs . Resisting training is geared more to cutting and not bulking . So I say 1 gram per Lbs body weight .

Sorry I meant 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight .
  • otey743
    Options
    bonniejo wrote: »
    Use adjusted body weight with an obese individual. I haven't seen anything over .8g/lb (of ABW in this case) to be beneficial, although I admit I haven't looked at obese studies in this scenario (if someone has, let me know). I would actually err on the side of less in case of kidney complications without a creatinine and BUN reading, just because obesity has many comorbidities and I'd rather had a slightly less effective dose of protein for muscle maintenance in a cut vs the possibility of furthering kidney damage. Depends on the person oc though. 20 yo no other diseases? Fine, .8g/lb ABW will work. 65yo with hypertension? Get a test, err on the side of caution

This is fun! I graduate with my masters in nutrition in 5 weeks. I chose the right career lol.

Can't argue with someone with a master in nutrition.