How to break a plateau

Options

Replies

• Reg4502
    Reg4502 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I noticed comments that reducing carbs would be a good way of speeding up a slow gain. I agree with this in most cases, but she already said she almost doubles her daily protein most days. To me, that indicates possibly too few carbs. My ratios of carb/protein/fat are 50/30/20. If I were to double my protein and stay the same on calories, there would not be room for much carbs. Unless you have a condition that requires a severely low carb diet, I would actually increase the carbs and lower the protein.

Generally, the biggest programs are logging accuracy and consistency to why people stop losing weight. Once we can address those issues, then calories/macros can be looked at too.

Also, OP, do you use a food scale?

I agree, the food scale really opened my eyes and I was able to fix my problems and continue on.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    ashNoak wrote: »
    you didn't plateau. your weight loss slowed down to normal.
    Since March it's been less than half a pound a week... Definitely can do much better than that!

it's still not a plateau. a weight loss plateau is when your weight loss is stagnant. you are losing weight!!!

i understand you want to lose at the pace you were the first few months, but you can't. the initial weight loss was a combination of water weight and a general shock to your system. it's completely normal, but it does taper off.

On this note, one way you can get "some" of the accelerated weight loss going again is to completely change up your fitness routine. ie, you're walking today? Swap it out for cycling. Running? Start swimming.

But, again, as your diary is closed, it's all crystal ball at this point. AFAIK, you're not exercising at all, and only changed your diet. Or, you're eating 10 bags of low-calorie popcorn per day. Who knows?

For most people, when you change your exercise routine you tend to stall your weight loss due to water retention. Just FYI...

Got any research on that? Just curious - that was my thought on my own changes and I was wondering how legit is.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Since March it's been less than half a pound a week... Definitely can do much better than that!

it's still not a plateau. a weight loss plateau is when your weight loss is stagnant. you are losing weight!!!

i understand you want to lose at the pace you were the first few months, but you can't. the initial weight loss was a combination of water weight and a general shock to your system. it's completely normal, but it does taper off.

On this note, one way you can get "some" of the accelerated weight loss going again is to completely change up your fitness routine. ie, you're walking today? Swap it out for cycling. Running? Start swimming.

But, again, as your diary is closed, it's all crystal ball at this point. AFAIK, you're not exercising at all, and only changed your diet. Or, you're eating 10 bags of low-calorie popcorn per day. Who knows?

For most people, when you change your exercise routine you tend to stall your weight loss due to water retention. Just FYI...

Got any research on that? Just curious - that was my thought on my own changes and I was wondering how legit is.

It's true, the best way for me to measure when I am just starting out is measurements and taking weekly progress pictures. You can really see the difference that way.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    At your weight you are close to goal. 0.5lb is realistic. Now it is time for slow and steady loss in preparation for maintenance!
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Just read where you said you had 35 to lose. That would make you 130 and a BMI of about 19. That's very low weight indeed and will be hard to get there. You will find it hard to even average 0.5lb a week once you are below BMI 25.
  • MrsMKB
    MrsMKB Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just read where you said you had 35 to lose. That would make you 130 and a BMI of about 19. That's very low weight indeed and will be hard to get there. You will find it hard to even average 0.5lb a week once you are below BMI 25.

If I hit 130 my bmi is 21... My goal is 135 which is a bmi of 21.8.
    My current bmi is 26.3.
    That being said, I don't put a lot of thoght into bmi calculations. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. Muscular people are not obese.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    A plateau is nothing else than "you eat at maintenance level"
    That's all

Most people who dont lose weight anymore start looking at the intake and they get more accurate ( on purpose or not) than they start losing weight the have something like Yes i broke the plateau.
    But the formula is still the same, because they got more accurate their deficit is there again and they start losing weight.

All you need is a deficit that's all.
    Now when you are losing weight your deficit gets smaller over time when you lose weight. Till the point you are very close to maintenance....your weight loss slows down over time when you keep all your numbers exactly the same ( exercise and your daily calorie intake) Now this is of course impossible to have them always every day the same. But about.

The first fast losing is because of water weight and your deficit is bigger when you start out.
    Now when you weigh all your food on a food scale ( not measure with cups because this is highly inaccurate, watch this short video which shows that measuring your food adds hundreds of calories to your daily menu. While you think you eat less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY )
    and create your deficit.
    When you do exercise only eat 25% to 75% back from the burned calories.

And you will lose weight. Maybe slower over time because you are getting closer and closer to a healthy weight. But you will lose.

Keep this in mind:

* Weight loss = eating less calories than you burn
    * Plateau/maintenance = eating the same calories as you burn
    * Weight gain = eating more than you burn

The rate you lose/gain depends on your age, how tall you are, activity level, how much you have to lose, or a medical condition.
    But the science is for everybody the same only the above factors have impact how fast/slow and how many you lose or gain.

In short this means "you eat more than you think" tighten up your logging and be more accurate.

Works fine until it doesn't. I've been dieting for YEARS. Years. Years. I've lost alot. Ended up at 230. To get lower I have to practically starve at 1800 calories. I'm hungry ALL the time. Tiny meals. No treats. Nothing. AND I that's if I want to lose a half a pound a week LOL. I got to 222 but one week of vacation erased that. I didn't even eat much. At some point there's more going on than "as you get closer to your goal....blah blah blah." I'm 30lbs from my goal and at least 15 before I go from being obese to just a regular old overweight guy. And yes I weighed and measured my food before you hop on the "you're not logging train."

the bolded part is always asking for trouble and you eat most of the time more than you think.

Weigh ALL your solid foods.
    And always true is

When you gain weight you eat more than your burn ( so SURPLUS)
    When you dont lose you are maintaining ( so eating the same you burn)
    When you lose weight you are eating less then you burn ( so in deficit)

This counts for EVERYBODY

The rate and time phrase of losing and gaining is depending on age, medical issues, how tall you are how much you have to lose etc
    Nevertheless losing weight happens only when you are in deficit. Also for you ;)
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That's all

Most people who dont lose weight anymore start looking at the intake and they get more accurate ( on purpose or not) than they start losing weight the have something like Yes i broke the plateau.
    But the formula is still the same, because they got more accurate their deficit is there again and they start losing weight.

Now when you are losing weight your deficit gets smaller over time when you lose weight. Till the point you are very close to maintenance....your weight loss slows down over time when you keep all your numbers exactly the same ( exercise and your daily calorie intake) Now this is of course impossible to have them always every day the same. But about.

The first fast losing is because of water weight and your deficit is bigger when you start out.
    Now when you weigh all your food on a food scale ( not measure with cups because this is highly inaccurate, watch this short video which shows that measuring your food adds hundreds of calories to your daily menu. While you think you eat less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY )
    and create your deficit.

And you will lose weight. Maybe slower over time because you are getting closer and closer to a healthy weight. But you will lose.

Keep this in mind:

The rate you lose/gain depends on your age, how tall you are, activity level, how much you have to lose, or a medical condition.
    But the science is for everybody the same only the above factors have impact how fast/slow and how many you lose or gain.

In short this means "you eat more than you think" tighten up your logging and be more accurate.

Works fine until it doesn't. I've been dieting for YEARS. Years. Years. I've lost alot. Ended up at 230. To get lower I have to practically starve at 1800 calories. I'm hungry ALL the time. Tiny meals. No treats. Nothing. AND I that's if I want to lose a half a pound a week LOL. I got to 222 but one week of vacation erased that. I didn't even eat much. At some point there's more going on than "as you get closer to your goal....blah blah blah." I'm 30lbs from my goal and at least 15 before I go from being obese to just a regular old overweight guy. And yes I weighed and measured my food before you hop on the "you're not logging train."

1800 seems like a lot to be hungry at.

• BWBTrish
    Options
    Mine will be very low too...nothing can be done about it. Only be as accurate as possible.
    My maintenance is low so my deficit gets smaller very quickly now that i am approaching my desired healthy weight.

And for some people it is easy for others not.
    I dont have a problem with it to be honest. I am eating now around a deficit of 500 calories ( maintenance level is around 1772) And soon my deficit will go to 250.

Its something i do and live with no big deal. :)
    and yeah of course i can complain about it but it wont change a thing about the fact.

So i do what i have to do, decided to lose the weight, accept the fact that i my body isn't up to and ready for more training than i do every day ( some walking and jogging and some light very light lifting)
    But the stronger i get the better it goes.
    And the weight goes perfect till now. 91 pounds lost and going strong, no hunger and not tired at all.

But i am as accurate as possible and determent as hell! lol
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    That's all

and create your deficit.

Keep this in mind:

the bolded part is always asking for trouble and you eat most of the time more than you think.

And always true is

The rate and time phrase of losing and gaining is depending on age, medical issues, how tall you are how much you have to lose etc
    Nevertheless losing weight happens only when you are in deficit. Also for you ;)

Yeah. I weighed solids. I'm no rookie. What I'm saying is sometimes the amount needed to get a deficit becomes so low it's stupid. No one ever addresses this. They just shrug it off. "Eat at a deficit. It's easy." Huh? So eat 1800 calories a day for months (again, 5'11" 230) while working out? Sounds legit. I bet that will be easy to keep up. I'm sure I'll never get tired or hungry. Easy though right? "Eat at a deficit."

I think the idea is that it's SIMPLE not easy. Assuming no health issues-it is what it is. Eat your 1800 calories, starve, and lose weight. Or eat more and don't lose weight. See? Simple.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    well like i said it slows down a lot and those last pounds are harder in a way.
    But i accept that.
    Not suffering here, eat my food and feed my body as much nutrition's as possible.
    That's all you can do.

Another reason btw to weigh all your food and log it. I need potassium ( i eat salt less for medical reasons) So logging and weighing every single bit ( even spices and herbs) gives me an idea how much potassium i get.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    That's all

and create your deficit.

Keep this in mind:

And always true is

Yeah. I weighed solids. I'm no rookie. What I'm saying is sometimes the amount needed to get a deficit becomes so low it's stupid. No one ever addresses this. They just shrug it off. "Eat at a deficit. It's easy." Huh? So eat 1800 calories a day for months (again, 5'11" 230) while working out? Sounds legit. I bet that will be easy to keep up. I'm sure I'll never get tired or hungry. Easy though right? "Eat at a deficit."

I think the idea is that it's SIMPLE not easy. Assuming no health issues-it is what it is. Eat your 1800 calories, starve, and lose weight. Or eat more and don't lose weight. See? Simple.

Simple concept, difficult to execute. But, you won't starve eating 1800. That's actually a good bit of food.

LOL for a woman. It's in no way a good bit of food for me. And there's no room left for anything remotely discretionary.

I'm your height, I eat less than that. It's you'll be hungry for a little while, but you'll get used to it.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

If you're still losing, it's not a plateau. That's reasonable weight loss. I've been stuck at a real plateau before and would have loved to lost half a pound a week. That's good steady weight loss. Losing faster isn't always better.

I can tell you what has helped me. I have hit a couple of plateau's, and I went into maintenance for about a week. The first time I did it, it was out of frustration. I had gone so long without losing, that I just decided to kick up my calories into maintenance to give myself a bit of a break. When I went back down to a deficit a week later, I started losing again. The second time I tried it, it worked as well. I went into maintenance for a week. Then the next week, I went back to a deficit and started losing again. Not sure why this worked...maybe it was a fluke both times...but it did work. Now, I had completely stalled out both times. You are still losing, so I'm not sure if this is the answer for you.