5' 8". I weigh about 218lbs, but I'm trying to get to 186lbs to join the United States Air Force

Options
124»

Replies

• xgray213
    xgray213 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good news, everyone! I've reached to 172 lbs, and it looks like my most recent bp reading is 138/75. Only 10 more pounds to lose before I'm at 162.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Any updates?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hang on

Your weight is great but you have health issues that you are not disclosing?

Do you think that's wise?
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You've shown great dedication. Despite what your military future May or may not be, I hope you realize you can do this and will avoid any setbacks in the future. What I'm saying is, should your health conditions disqualify you from service, I hope you do not relapse into your old habits.

I recently retired after 23 years of active duty service. In that time I have seen several people discharged due to falsifying pre-existing medical conditions. All but one were discovered within the members first enlistment.

All services have a set of values and honor codes that each member is expected to abide by and promote. If you can not be truthful prior to enlisting, think long and hard. Good luck!
  • xgray213
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hang on

Of course not. I've been trying to tell my doctor that I need to get off my medications because it was my weight that has been holding me back this whole time. But now that I have met the weight requirement goals to get into the military, they're expecting me to comeback with a letter from my doctor stating that I'm off my medications, how long I was on them, when I stopped taking them and that I don't need them. Which I obviously, don't even need from the first place.
  • xgray213
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You've shown great dedication. Despite what your military future May or may not be, I hope you realize you can do this and will avoid any setbacks in the future. What I'm saying is, should your health conditions disqualify you from service, I hope you do not relapse into your old habits.

I recently retired after 23 years of active duty service. In that time I have seen several people discharged due to falsifying pre-existing medical conditions. All but one were discovered within the members first enlistment.

All services have a set of values and honor codes that each member is expected to abide by and promote. If you can not be truthful prior to enlisting, think long and hard. Good luck!
    Thanks man. I appreciate it.
  • xgray213
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    Any updates?
    I'm at 171 right now.

• Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Idk what USAF boot entails. I can tell you what the Army did. Run, run, run. Pushups to exhaustion, and then roll to your back and do flutters or leg lifts until exhausted. Rinse and repeat.

Best time of my life. I mean that.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hang on

It's not wise, or ethical. Worse than that, it puts the lives of honest service members like my husband at risk.

But, you know... Dude wants his college paid for and all.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    robertrau wrote: »
    Idk what USAF boot entails. I can tell you what the Army did. Run, run, run. Pushups to exhaustion, and then roll to your back and do flutters or leg lifts until exhausted. Rinse and repeat.

Best time of my life. I mean that.

Same here! Regular army wasn't to bad except for carrying the profiles.
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    It's not wise, or ethical. Worse than that, it puts the lives of honest service members like my husband at risk.

Seen worse. It's the profiles that you should be worrying about, most of which never have OP's drive in the first place and can't promoted above E4. Don't worry they are the same folks that will never meet the qualification to exercise their GI Bill; in my experience it was over 50% of the enlisted population.
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    xgray213 wrote: »
    What do you guys think? Have I made the right choice by not telling the Army recruiter about that dilemma?

No.

Why didn't you tell the Army recruiter about your blood pressure issues when you've told National Guard? Just tell them the truth. PT at Basic is very rigorous. By not disclosing all of your health issues, you’re putting yourself at risk health wise and it’s not worth it at all. Also, getting a Fraudulent enlistment/dishonorable discharge from the military isn't a good look on job applications.
  • xgray213
    Options
    Rashanti1 wrote: »
    What do you guys think? Have I made the right choice by not telling the Army recruiter about that dilemma?

No.

Why didn't you tell the Army recruiter about your blood pressure issues when you've told National Guard? Just tell them the truth. PT at Basic is very rigorous. By not disclosing all of your health issues, you’re putting yourself at risk health wise and it’s not worth it at all. Also, getting a Fraudulent enlistment/dishonorable discharge from the military isn't a good look on job applications.

I already told the army that I have been working out to lower my blood pressure and that I'm taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Commonly known as "Microzide" which is a "water pill". But, I'm concerned that if I keep telling the next military recruiters about what type of blood pressure medication that I'm taking, they still won't let me sign up to take the ASVAB because I'm at 169lbs, right now. And my blood pressure should be lowered right about now. The only reason why I said no is because of my parents have been pressuring me into getting into the military all because I punked out in college when I was about one year away from graduating from Sac State.
  • xgray213
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Hang on

Well, I currently weigh 169lbs. So that would mean that my blood pressure should be close to being normal now because I've not only worked out, but I've been taking a medication called, "Hydrochlorothiazide" which is a water pill that balances out my blood pressure.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Rashanti1 wrote: »

No.

I already told the army that I have been working out to lower my blood pressure and that I'm taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Commonly known as "Microzide" which is a "water pill". But, I'm concerned that if I keep telling the next military recruiters about what type of blood pressure medication that I'm taking, they still won't let me sign up to take the ASVAB because I'm at 169lbs, right now. And my blood pressure should be lowered right about now. The only reason why I said no is because of my parents have been pressuring me into getting into the military all because I punked out in college when I was about one year away from graduating from Sac State.

You still shouldn't withold the truth from recruiters. The military is one government entity I would not want to be on the wrong side of. If they didn't find out early on and you were enlisted, finding out later can result in penalties that will follow you for a very long time, and are worse than dropping out of college one year away from graduation. You need to be disclosing this to everyone up front, before they ask.