Squats? Deadlifts? Safe or too risky?

Options
trusty48
trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Wanted some community advice on this because I had a heated discussion with a friend and fitness mentor yesterday about the safety of squats and deadlifts for the knees and lower back.

Essentially, I injured my knee last weekend and commented that I wouldn't be able to do squats for awhile at which point he responded with shock that I was engaging in such a risky exercise. Honestly, I didn't consider that squats were risky for me since I'm a small female using relatively light weights.

I usually listen to his advice because he's in his mid fifties, a former athlete and in terrific shape This time, I'm not so sure though. His suggestion was to replace the squats with a leg press machine because it's safer and to consider Pilates exercises to strengthen the smaller core and balance muscles.

Obviously, due to my injury I won't be doing much of anything for awhile. However, I really like the squats and deadlifts because they seem like such good full-body exercise. That said, I want my joints and back to last my entire life and if that means cutting out certain exercises I will do it.

Would like to hear from experienced people on how safe these exercises are and if there are better alternatives.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    With good form and using a load appropriate for your abilities, they are safe exercises. If your form is off and if you're trying to lift too much weight, yes they are risky. But that's common sense.

You likely use squatting motions and deadlifting motions in your everyday life. Practicing them through exercise, and getting stronger while doing it, will make your everyday life that much easier.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Squats are not ant more dangerous that leg presses. I have seen people injure themselves with both exercises. What is different is you get much more for your exercise time from squats. Just make sure your form is good.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the exercises properly, focusing on form, and with the right right equipment? Do you listen to your body when it's injured and not push yourself?

If so, ignore that guy.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I too have back and knee issues and was told in the past that deadlifts and squats were dangerous. Deadlifts used to hurt actually ... but, it was not the movement itself that caused problems, but my form. Once my form improved, all issues have gone away. They are excellent exercises, and I wouldn't trade them for anything! That being said, if you're hurt be careful and ease back in to what you were doing. Too much too early can cause problems no matter what the exercise is.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    squats = having to sit down to poop.

diving out of a plane headfirst = risky.

yeah there are inherent risks with anything you do- but the stuff you do in the gym with proper education are not THAT risky.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee (botched ACL replacement) and a back lower back (severed ligaments in a car crash) and I do both and they have been very helpful for me. My back is much less chronically painful and I can sit/stand in positions for much longer than I used to be able to without it seizing up. And of course the added strength in my legs just takes pressure off of my knee, especially going up/down stairs. I do them with a 10 lb dumbbell in each hand.
  • krmullig
    krmullig Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's all dependent on if you do the exercises properly. I had the unfortunate experience seeing a video of a woman's knee buckling backwards on a leg press machine, obviously those can cause some serious injuries as well. Any exercise is dangerous if performed improperly. Just make sure you have proper form and listen to your body if it says your weights are too much.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    trusty48 wrote: »
    His suggestion was to replace the squats with a leg press machine because it's safer and to consider Pilates exercises to strengthen the smaller core and balance muscles.

This sounds to me like he's not telling you to get rid of the squats entirely long term, but has concerns about the stability in your back and other muscles, which especially if you aren't in good shape, is fair.

Weighted squats and deadlifts are fine and perfectly safe if you're doing them with reasonable weights/reps and have the core strength to allow you to add weight. So long as you're doing your best to be safe, watch your form, and are upping your weight on a reasonable time table based on your ability to actually lift it, you're probably good.

But then again we don't know how you got your knee injury? hahaha
  • netgrrl
    netgrrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had concerns initially because I am an overweight, 56 y/o female with some standard "old age" creakiness in my knees. Truth to tell, I have an easier time doing barbell squats than I do a body weight squat. The weight changes my center of gravity and actually takes some of the work off my knees. I started out with just the bar, adding 5lb each workout so that I could work on my form. I've ready and watch videos and still watch them again sometimes just for a reminder. I don't believe squats done properly are harmful. I don't believe any machine can take the place of natural movement. My worst set is the warm-up set with just the bar! I'm stiff and creaky. By the time I am finished (I do 5x5) I am much more flexible.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    No more risky than any other exercise. If you don't perform correctly (again with any exercise) there is always risk for injury.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts make injury less likely as they strengthen the muscles you use in everyday life
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Squats and leg presses aren't the same thing, nor do they do the same things.
    There are no real alternatives to squats and deadlifts, which is why people do them.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    netgrrl wrote: »
    I had concerns initially because I am an overweight, 56 y/o female with some standard "old age" creakiness in my knees. Truth to tell, I have an easier time doing barbell squats than I do a body weight squat. The weight changes my center of gravity and actually takes some of the work off my knees. I started out with just the bar, adding 5lb each workout so that I could work on my form. I've ready and watch videos and still watch them again sometimes just for a reminder. I don't believe squats done properly are harmful. I don't believe any machine can take the place of natural movement. My worst set is the warm-up set with just the bar! I'm stiff and creaky. By the time I am finished (I do 5x5) I am much more flexible.

I am the same way "net" I hate warming up with just body weight or an empty bar, but it must be done. As the weight progresses, the lift feels better, my knees feel better.

OP, was your knee injury a result of the squat or deadlift? I also am with everyone else, done with proper form and full range of motion, these are not harmful.

• trusty48
    Options
    But then again we don't know how you got your knee injury? hahaha [/quote]

I almost fell off a rock wall while trying to clean my heat pump. Caught myself before falling but twisted my leg. :(

For the record, he is completely against anybody doing any squats with any amount of weight. He had stories of friends he used to lift with that had knee replacements. He said he stopped the exercises a few years ago due to lower back concerns.

Also, I'm in good shape overall and my core muscles are quite strong. There is nothing that makes me especially high risk for injury.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    But then again we don't know how you got your knee injury? hahaha

I almost fell off a rock wall while trying to clean my heat pump. Caught myself before falling but twisted my leg. :(

For the record, he is completely against anybody doing any squats with any amount of weight. He had stories of friends he used to lift with that had knee replacements. He said he stopped the exercises a few years ago due to lower back concerns.

Also, I'm in good shape overall and my core muscles are quite strong. There is nothing that makes me especially high risk for injury.

That trainer needs to do more research on squat form if injuries like that occur.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    krmullig wrote: »
    It's all dependent on if you do the exercises properly. I had the unfortunate experience seeing a video of a woman's knee buckling backwards on a leg press machine, obviously those can cause some serious injuries as well. Any exercise is dangerous if performed improperly. Just make sure you have proper form and listen to your body if it says your weights are too much.

Ouch! I cringed after I read that! Yikes!
  • yopeeps025
    edited May 2015
    Options
    krmullig wrote: »

Ouch! I cringed after I read that! Yikes!

I watched a guy at my school barely squat 225. then tries to squat 275 with spotter and still falls backwards.

• trusty48
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! Thanks especially to those who have knee and back issues and reported that they can do these exercises safely.

This confirms my original feelings that my exercise routine is basically safe. Going forward, I will continue to do it but will stay cautious.

To be fair to my friend, he has been working out longer than I've been alive and has seen a lot. He knows that over the long-term seemingly innocuous habits can catch up to you. Still, on this point we will have to respectfully disagree.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! Thanks especially to those who have knee and back issues and reported that they can do these exercises safely.

This confirms my original feelings that my exercise routine is basically safe. Going forward, I will continue to do it but will stay cautious.

To be fair to my friend, he has been working out longer than I've been alive and has seen a lot. He knows that over the long-term seemingly innocuous habits can catch up to you. Still, on this point we will have to respectfully disagree.

Sounds like he sees a lot of people using wrong form which can= sideline injury.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    they are safe if done right.