Hair loss with weight loss??

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - if you have all the answers why even start this thread?
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    libs3091 wrote: »
    How about not relying on a web forum for a diagnosis and go see a doctor? Hair loss can happen from malnutrition, but it could also be a sign of an underlying disease. Stop speculating and go get help.

I did get help 4 years ago but dermatologists/doctors can't really specify what exactly caused it... They just knew it was the weight loss (obviously, I was unhealthy). I was just hoping to open a discussion to see whether people have lost hair maybe not by losing weight rapidly (like me), but losing weight normally and it was their diet that caused the hair loss. Just as a reminder I have a full head of hair right now, it's not -still- happening

Right, but it happened in the past and you are considering dieting again, so you should still consult with your doctor. It's usually recommended that anyone starting a weight loss plan should talk with their doctor (in case the person is on certain meds or has diseases that they need to consider while restricting and/or exercising), but I would encourage anyone who has had medical issues in the past to definitely see a doctor before and during the weight loss journey to make sure they are getting proper nutrition and not harming themselves. There are blood tests they can do to make sure you aren't vitamin and mineral deficient, which can cause hair loss.
  • libs3091
    libs3091 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi. I did all my conversions before saying anything. At 156cm you're 5'1" which is the same as me! 51kg is 8 stone which, for me would be absolutely in my dreams fabulous.
    41kg is 6 stone 6lb which is incredibly low. Don't want to sound judgey and I know that there are many different body types but from my same-height perspective I don't think that weighing the same as my 8 year old step daughter would be healthy.
    I'm currently 10 stone 2lb down from 11 stone 2lb (so 70kg to 64kg).

On the hair loss front, did you see your GP at the time about it? It does sound like it could well have been linked to your rapid weightloss and potential malnutrition. Was it all over hair thinning? I ask because I've had alopecia areata in the past - bald patches on the scalp about the size of 50p coins. I had tests to see if it was linked to a thyroid problem but in the end it turned out to be "just one of those things" and "bad luck" which has thankfully never bothered me again.

Start logging everything, check your macros to ensure you're getting the right levels of protein, fat, vitamins, minerals and iron.

Yeah I was super skinny at 41kg, it wasn't good! Definitely not a good weight to be at. I think because I was in a large uniform everyday I didn't notice how skinny I'd gotten. But once I put on 5kgs, I looked significantly better. At around 46kg, everyone said I looked a good size and not too slim. There's a pic on the first page for what I looked like around that weight.

But yeah I did see a doctor and it was definitely the diet and weight loss (as anyone would guess). And it was telogen effluvium not allopecia
  • libs3091
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I do not see why everyone is bashing her. Theseforums have become so disapointing. You cannot post anything without getting reemed people accusing you of a eating disorder or not believe you. She asked a question that was simple. Maybe your diet was unbalanced and needed to be retuned. Maybe you need to lose at a slower rate. I don't think bc you are malnurished it = eating disorder! Or bc she doesn't accurately use her diary! For Petes sake! I was wondering same question as her bc I noticed some hair loss but I am in no way not eating! Another lady said her macros were off and that is what caused it and I think that is my problem my fat and protein maybe need upped or I need to eat back more exercise calories or something. I thought these forums were for support of eachother not to bash the poster!
    Here's the thing, @libs3091, I just ran your stats from four years ago when you lost weight, 1 kgs a week. You said you were 51 kgs. You would have been 18 years old. According to scoobys online calculator, your TDEE was -- even if I was generous and gave you 1-3 hours a week of light exercise... 1700 calories. Which means that you were eating 700 calories to lose that amount of weight.

Even if I bump the calculator up to 3-5 hours of exercise, it gives you a TDEE of 1900 calories, meaning you were eating 900 calories.

I'm not even going to go into what your caloric intake would be had I done the sedentary calculation.

The bottom line? You have demonstrated dangerous caloric intake, and the evidence is in your first post.

Please, get some help.

What the, why would you even bother calculating that, it was 4 years ago.Why should I "get help" for a diet I stopped doing (because I realized it was bad) 4 years ago... I'm not doing that diet anymore?

Probably because you are concerned that you will have the same resulting hair loss as you did then? You should look at what you did then so that you don't have the same negative side effects this time. It goes directly to your question.

Well I guess what I'm sort of trying to get at here is I was doing so many things wrong that it's hard to be able to pin point what else (apart from the obvious calorie deficit) I was doing wrong without some advice. There are many things that lead to being "malnourished" --> hair loss. So far some people have suggested higher protein and iron, so that's a good start
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I've had weight-loss related hair loss happen to me before, I lost 10kg over about 2.5 months, going from 51kg to 41kg. I started the diet in April 2011 and the hairloss started in September that year.

Now I'm trying to diet again (I got back up to 51kg) to go overseas in July, but I'm terrified of losing my hair again (especially if it all starts coming out when I'm overseas). I only want to get down to about 45/46kg (BMI says that's fine), but if I want to do that I would run the risk of losing my hair again.

One of my questions is this: do you think my diet in 2011 was the cause of the hairloss (losing a kg a week was too much etc), or was it simply just a result of a prolonged diet/large weight loss (losing 10kg was a massive shock and caused the hairloss). Or possibly even because I lost too much weight (under 45kg was too unhealthy and my hair dropped because of that).

I just want to know what you guys think, if you guys could shed (ha) any light on this I'd appreciate it. If you also had hair loss from weight loss, it'd be awesome if you could list 1) when you started your diet 2) approx how much you lost a week 3) how much you lost overall 4) when your hair loss started

This'll help me see where I'm going wrong and hopefully stop it from happening again!

Thanks!

none of those questions were asked...I bolded what you did ask...

If you don't want to lose your hair eat at a reasonable deficit, don't exclude or limit any foods from your plan.

Set reasonable weekly weight loss goals

Be realistic on what you can accomplish while remaining healthy.

Look into heavy lifting to maintain muscle while losing mostly fat.

Those first 3 steps will help prevent hair loss.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I do not see why everyone is bashing her. Theseforums have become so disapointing. You cannot post anything without getting reemed people accusing you of a eating disorder or not believe you. She asked a question that was simple. Maybe your diet was unbalanced and needed to be retuned. Maybe you need to lose at a slower rate. I don't think bc you are malnurished it = eating disorder! Or bc she doesn't accurately use her diary! For Petes sake! I was wondering same question as her bc I noticed some hair loss but I am in no way not eating! Another lady said her macros were off and that is what caused it and I think that is my problem my fat and protein maybe need upped or I need to eat back more exercise calories or something. I thought these forums were for support of eachother not to bash the poster!
    Here's the thing, @libs3091, I just ran your stats from four years ago when you lost weight, 1 kgs a week. You said you were 51 kgs. You would have been 18 years old. According to scoobys online calculator, your TDEE was -- even if I was generous and gave you 1-3 hours a week of light exercise... 1700 calories. Which means that you were eating 700 calories to lose that amount of weight.

Even if I bump the calculator up to 3-5 hours of exercise, it gives you a TDEE of 1900 calories, meaning you were eating 900 calories.

I'm not even going to go into what your caloric intake would be had I done the sedentary calculation.

The bottom line? You have demonstrated dangerous caloric intake, and the evidence is in your first post.

Please, get some help.

What the, why would you even bother calculating that, it was 4 years ago.Why should I "get help" for a diet I stopped doing (because I realized it was bad) 4 years ago... I'm not doing that diet anymore?

Probably because you are concerned that you will have the same resulting hair loss as you did then? You should look at what you did then so that you don't have the same negative side effects this time. It goes directly to your question.

Well I guess what I'm sort of trying to get at here is I was doing so many things wrong that it's hard to be able to pin point what else (apart from the obvious calorie deficit) I was doing wrong without some advice. There are many things that lead to being "malnourished" --> hair loss. So far some people have suggested higher protein and iron, so that's a good start

- eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, preferably at least 1200 (it is difficult to get proper nutrition on less than that)
    - get enough protein and healthy fats, don't do all low fat, your body needs it.

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello person! I've read through this whole thread, and I am hoping it has been helpful for you. I lost a friend at 23 to anorexia, and I can't tell you how similar what she was saying was to what you are saying now.

If your hair was falling out, it's very, very likely because you were starving yourself, losing weight too fast (1 kg/week is way too fast), and aiming for an unhealthy weight. I am not sure how many people you need to say it here to believe it. If you won't believe us, just go see a doctor or registered dietician. Ask them, not us. Only they can tell you.

But please...be healthy. It honestly sounds like a good bit of toning will do you far better than weight loss! Muffin tops have a lot do with having no muscle. Work on that! You won't become "buff" or over-muscular just by doing some toning.

Starving yourself can lead to long-term effects. Next time, you may lose your hair for good! If this doesn't convince you, hear is an medical journal article about a young girl who, at 47kg and 170cm, and being admitted to the hospital for having starved herself at about the same level you are, losing 11.4kg over 4 months (a lower rate than you!).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323541/

Here are some excerpts:

"according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) criteria (1–3). The DMS-IV criteria for AN is as follows (3):
    1. Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height
    2. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight
    3. Disturbance in the way in which one’s body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight
    4. In postmenarcheal females, amenorrhea"

"Her performance at school had also fallen...Her skin was slightly mottled in appearance, with some anhydrotic eczema of her extremities, and her blood pressure was difficult to auscultate. When obtained, it was lower than her usual values, at 84 systolic and 70 diastolic. Her pulse was 47 bpm, and irregularly irregular....Her weight and height were 47 kg and 1.7 m, respectively; her calculated body-mass index (BMI) was 16...Further history taking from the patient, while alone, revealed that she had stopped menstruating seven months ago."

"Daily servings would not exceed a total of 750 kcal/day and her meals never contained any fat. She described herself as “fat…overweight”"

"Medical complications resulting from semistarvation and overexercising affect virtually every organ system..."

"Changes in cognitive development are also known to occur...Furthermore, it is well known in the literature, that the brain loses both white and gray matter during severe weight loss during semistarvation. Furthermore, weight restoration results in the return of white matter to premorbid levels, but some gray matter loss persists."

I hope you understand the game you are playing with your life. Please, please...see a doctor.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hair loss is a known side effect of extreme weight loss and it is a risk factor in bariatric surgery. My diet was monitored after surgery and I was given a minimum target of protein to achieve. Within a week after surgery I was able to hit my protein targets and I did not experience hair loss. My fingernails are more brittle however.

Several of my compatriots have suffered hair loss after surgery.

So you might want to pay attention to your macros this time around.

May I ask what your protein target was?
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at maintenance and start lifting. You aren't at a weight where you need to lose, you just have more body fat than you would like and not enough muscle mass. Losing weight now is just going to continue the "skinny fat" appearance because you aren't going to be building muscle, you'll be losing both fat and muscle mass.
  • libs3091
    Options
    Hello person! I've read through this whole thread, and I am hoping it has been helpful for you. I lost a friend at 23 to anorexia, and I can't tell you how similar what she was saying was to what you are saying now.

If your hair was falling out, it's very, very likely because you were starving yourself, losing weight too fast (1 kg/week is way too fast), and aiming for an unhealthy weight. I am not sure how many people you need to say it here to believe it. If you won't believe us, just go see a doctor or registered dietician. Ask them, not us. Only they can tell you.

But please...be healthy. It honestly sounds like a good bit of toning will do you far better than weight loss! Muffin tops have a lot do with having no muscle. Work on that! You won't become "buff" or over-muscular just by doing some toning.

Starving yourself can lead to long-term effects. Next time, you may lose your hair for good! If this doesn't convince you, hear is an medical journal article about a young girl who, at 47kg and 170cm, and being admitted to the hospital for having starved herself at about the same level you are, losing 11.4kg over 4 months (a lower rate than you!).

Here are some excerpts:

"according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) criteria (1–3). The DMS-IV criteria for AN is as follows (3):
    1. Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height
    3. Disturbance in the way in which one’s body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight

"Her performance at school had also fallen...Her skin was slightly mottled in appearance, with some anhydrotic eczema of her extremities, and her blood pressure was difficult to auscultate. When obtained, it was lower than her usual values, at 84 systolic and 70 diastolic. Her pulse was 47 bpm, and irregularly irregular....Her weight and height were 47 kg and 1.7 m, respectively; her calculated body-mass index (BMI) was 16...Further history taking from the patient, while alone, revealed that she had stopped menstruating seven months ago."

"Daily servings would not exceed a total of 750 kcal/day and her meals never contained any fat. She described herself as “fat…overweight”"

"Medical complications resulting from semistarvation and overexercising affect virtually every organ system..."

"Changes in cognitive development are also known to occur...Furthermore, it is well known in the literature, that the brain loses both white and gray matter during severe weight loss during semistarvation. Furthermore, weight restoration results in the return of white matter to premorbid levels, but some gray matter loss persists."

I hope you understand the game you are playing with your life. Please, please...see a doctor.

Sigh. I did this diet 4 years ago. I was fully aware of what was going on, and if I did have an eating disorder, it sure didn't put up a fight when I then decided a couple weeks later that I looked too skinny and gained 7kg back purposely... On my own.. I then went on to start weight training a couple of years later, and with no dieting I was quite fit and strong looking. However I went overseas for a long period of time and gained 4kg as well as losing my muscle. So now I'm just looking to get back around the 45-47 mark, because I am not my fittest at the moment and was proud of my fit (even though it still had a bit of a muffin top over my gym tights, I still thought I looked great in a bikini) and strong 47kg body, so at this stage anything closer to that weight would be optimal.

I'm sorry for your friend but I'm not anorexic, I don't even have a proper gag reflex. Do you honestly think I'm going to have an eating disorder if I'll do anything it takes not to make my hair fall out, even if that means losing less weight than I wanted or potentially not losing any at all? Like honestly if someone told me right now I had to eat an entire cake to save my hair, I'd do it without blinking.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Here are some excerpts:

Sigh. I did this diet 4 years ago. I was fully aware of what was going on, and if I did have an eating disorder, it sure didn't put up a fight when I then decided a couple weeks later that I looked too skinny and gained 7kg back purposely... On my own.. I then went on to start weight training a couple of years later, and with no dieting I was quite fit and strong looking. However I went overseas for a long period of time and gained 4kg as well as losing my muscle. So now I'm just looking to get back around the 45-47 mark, because I am not my fittest at the moment and was proud of my fit (even though it still had a bit of a muffin top over my gym tights, I still thought I looked great in a bikini) and strong 47kg body, so at this stage anything closer to that weight would be optimal.

I'm sorry for your friend but I'm not anorexic, I don't even have a proper gag reflex. Do you honestly think I'm going to have an eating disorder if I'll do anything it takes not to make my hair fall out, even if that means losing less weight than I wanted or potentially not losing any at all? Like honestly if someone told me right now I had to eat an entire cake to save my hair, I'd do it without blinking.

In reference to the part in bold ...... What?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Here are some excerpts:

In reference to the part in bold ...... What?

double what..?????

so you have to have a proper gag reflex to be anorexic?????????????????????
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Here are some excerpts:

hiyah op these are all words, i sincerely hope you mean them.
    as for the gag reflex,thats a strange comment and abit of a red flag in my opinion. not sure why you would say that
    i lost @40 pounds in 8 months, i didnt lose any hair. First week i think i lost 4 pounds, but then it was @1 pound per week. You shouldn't be losing hair when losing weight.

You got good advice here, try some strength training as suggested. Look after yourself.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't even have a proper gag reflex.

Not everyone who has an ED throws up, only those with bulimia throw up. Many people with ED just severely restrict and/or excessively exercise.

Eating disorder: "Eating disorders are psychological illnesses defined by abnormal eating habits that may involve either insufficient or excessive food intake to the detriment of an individual's physical and mental health."

Anorexia Nervosa: "Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by food restriction, odd eating habits or rituals, obsession with having a thin figure, and an irrational fear of weight gain. It is accompanied by a distorted body self-perception, and typically involves excessive weight loss."

Perhaps you don't really know what an eating disorder is. If you were restricting to the point of detriment to your physical health (hair loss), that is an ED.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Here are some excerpts:

So you still would like to weigh 90 pounds, which is underweight?

I'll leave the gag reflex comment alone, but it's telling.

As for why I looked the information up for what you did 4 years ago? You crashed dieted to get to an unhealthy weight, now you've just said that you'd like to get to that weight even though you're not going to?

You are an already healthy weight for your height. Everything you say gives more away. I'm very concerned for you.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Here are some excerpts:

so repeat the bolded part...what is funny strange about this whole thread is you know what you need to do...

you didn't ask the question you wanted the answer to...in your OP...

It's been all over the map and when it comes down to it...you know what you need to do...see bolded part

So @libs3091 I have a serious question for you...what was the point of your original post?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP--the problem here is that you keep making excuses and defending your ideas. They got you into big trouble in the past. Time to learn and not repeat past mistakes. The advice given has been sound. You just need to hear it and understand. I can assure you after seeing alot of these threads that the people giving their time to advise you are not meanies--they know what they're talking about. Please, please listen to them. :)
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It might be nutrient and macro related like the other posts say. I had a friend who lost her hair every time she became pregnant. The babies would be fine but the doctor said they were stealing her nutrients. :'(

The babies were pulling nutrient from faster than she could make them up.

She was hospitalized and out on an IV each time. But I don't know if she had any other problems.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're severely under eating and wondering why you're losing your hair? Sorry personally, I would rather have hair with a little cushion myself.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Slightly related, not helpful to thread but interesting (to me).

Went with my mom 30 years ago to the "Richard Simmons" show. He showed the audience that his hair is implanted because he lost all of his hair losing weight. Hung out with Tony Dows wife that day too. (Wally Cleaver).