Squats? Deadlifts? Safe or too risky?

Options

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Research research research proper form!! There are variations to these kind of lifts, especially squats.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    With proper form, you shouldnt worry about your knees. I once had a knee injury, i mean it hurt so bad just to put on pants in the morning. But i found that squats actually helped me.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Research research research proper form!! There are variations to these kind of lifts, especially squats.

After reading advice on this forum, I started using the forms outlined in the strong lifts 5x5 program. The consensus seems to be that these are good and the videos and descriptions of the technique are excellent.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    squats = having to sit down to poop.

diving out of a plane headfirst = risky.

yeah there are inherent risks with anything you do- but the stuff you do in the gym with proper education are not THAT risky.

Actually also quite safe, with proper training and equipment. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    As someone with back problems I can tell you: leg press is one of the worst things you can do for your lower back if you're prone to herniating and no good form can lessen that risk (same for crunches by the way). Squats with a good form are actually safer in that regard.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Way too risky. You might accidentally become a badass. I'd stick with the pink weights and the machines with lots of reps. Well, lots of reps might give you tendonitis. Better to stick with yoga and prancercise and pilates.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    your friend thinks squats are a "risky exercise" and that the leg press is safer..?

dafuq.jpg

former athlete...was he a powerlifter or bodybuilder..? or did he play soccer? lol...
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I've got a broken fibula and I'm still deadlifting and doing unweighted squats.
    [these exercises have been approved by a licensed medical professional with the caveat that if it hurts, I must stop.]

Without squats, my knees actually hurt because I have PFS.
    Squats (along with lunges and some other stuff) HELP my knees and I'm in less pain.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee (arthritis) and I do squats daily -- they're actually recommended by physical therapists for knees as long as you use good form. Be sure that when you squat you don't let your knee go too far forward -- keep it behind your toes. My PT told me that I should avoid lunges and I find that they aggravate my knee. Can't advise you on deadlifts but I suspect they're fine if done properly. Use your body as a guide -- if it hurts, don't do it.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in both knees and was in constant pain. I have been a weekly patient of a physio therapist for almost two years. I was scared of even trying squats or deadlifts, but after being on MFP for a while I decided to try both as part of an overall Ice Cream Fitness lifting program. My PT's comments were go for it and then he showed me the proper form for both. Between the weight loss and the strengthening of my quads and glutes I now run over 6 km 4x a week and walk over 10 km a day with pain that is now completely manageable. I have "fired" my PT, an occasion which he celebrated. My suggestion is find a new fitness guru.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you are worried then do box squats... I have had 4 knee surgeries and that is what I do because I have lost range of motion in my knees... I so do deadlift(70lbs) today but once again I just don't go into deep squat... Probably won't go much higher in weight because I don't want to cause low back issues
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    emmoen wrote: »
    If you are worried then do box squats... I have had 4 knee surgeries and that is what I do because I have lost range of motion in my knees... I so do deadlift(70lbs) today but once again I just don't go into deep squat... Probably won't go much higher in weight because I don't want to cause low back issues

I believe box squats are harder on the knees for someone who has full RoM. As I've been told, the deeper the squat, the easier it is on the knees. Dorsiflexion limitations notwithstanding...and proper form is needed in either case, of course.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Is it really hard to get them right? What examples of poor form do you see?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

bad set up.
    rounding of the back during any part of the lift.
    You can't tell looking but when people complain about knee problems they might not have hip mobility issues.
    when they come out the hole they go up too fast with legs and it looks kind of like a good morning hybrid with squats.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

bad set up.
    rounding of the back during any part of the lift.
    You can't tell looking but when people complain about knee problems they might have hip mobility issues.
    when they come out the hole they go up too fast with legs and it looks kind of like a good morning hybrid with squats.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    You can injure yourself if you do them wrong with poor form. I see it in the gym all the time, and I cringe. I think some people just stop because they have pain. But, it's not because they are bad, it's because they are doing them wrong. There are many different ways to get to do them right. YouTube, or hire a trainer. Just because someone is ripped doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I heard a guy in the gym telling some woman that no one HAS to do squats. And, that's true, but I think its poor advice if someone wants to try it.

no one has to squat. all you have to do is eat, sleep, breathe, drink, and maintain a reasonable body temperature.

wait, and squat. you have to squat. my bad.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's not that it's hard to get them right, it's that so many people do them incorrectly. Especially when you factor in that, at most commercial gyms, you're WAY more likely to see people squatting on the Smith machine than you are to see people using a squat rack or cage. I'm at the point where I stop and notice when someone is squatting correctly, to depth, because it's so rare (and seeing someone break parallel with a good amount of weight on the bar is a thing of beauty),

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    trusty48 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! Thanks especially to those who have knee and back issues and reported that they can do these exercises safely.

This confirms my original feelings that my exercise routine is basically safe. Going forward, I will continue to do it but will stay cautious.

To be fair to my friend, he has been working out longer than I've been alive and has seen a lot. He knows that over the long-term seemingly innocuous habits can catch up to you. Still, on this point we will have to respectfully disagree.

Sounds like he sees a lot of people using wrong form which can= sideline injury.

I was going to say the same thing. Injuries like he is mentioning almost always have to do with bad form with insufficient or incorrect warm up following close behind (things like no warm up or doing static stretching before exercise thinking it is a warm up). Warm up properly, always work at getting form perfect, and long term problems are much reduced.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    trusty48 wrote: »
    But then again we don't know how you got your knee injury? hahaha
    wrote:

I almost fell off a rock wall while trying to clean my heat pump. Caught myself before falling but twisted my leg. :(

For the record, he is completely against anybody doing any squats with any amount of weight. He had stories of friends he used to lift with that had knee replacements. He said he stopped the exercises a few years ago due to lower back concerns.

Also, I'm in good shape overall and my core muscles are quite strong. There is nothing that makes me especially high risk for injury.

Here's my question. These friends - did they do any other exercise? Play any sports? Families have a history of joint issues? How exactly would your friend know that it was weight lifting that did the damage?

My gym is associated with a major health center and there's lots of PT being done there. The thing that strikes me is that of the PTs have many of their clients doing free weights, including squats and deadlifts. Modified as necessary, of course.