The Clean Eating Myth

Options

Replies

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Person A - because I was Person B at one time and it didn't work.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I lose much more weight on a diet that includes processed foods because I will actually keep to that diet. I'm having a lot of success eating what I'm used to eating.

If I tried to eat "clean" 100% of the time I would give up completely, go back to my old way of eating, and then just keep slowly gaining weight. I think that many of the people pushing "clean" diets are perfectly happy eating that way.

If you are eating a diet that satisfies you, you are much more likely to have success with it. "Clean" eaters may actually lose more weight if they comply with their diet more consistently when they eat that way than they do otherwise.

Whatever is most comfortable for the individual is what is most likely to work long-term.

This. Find what you buy into and what enables you to eat a variety, get the macros/micros you need and the right calorie deficit, and that you most easily can follow long-term.

If that isn't true, it doesn't matter one iota if there is some small advantage to one eating plan or another. And, any advantage is frankly speculative at this point with the bulk of studies pointing to the dodo effect with diet plans. People lose the same amount, regain the same amount, and when eating ad libitum end up pretty much consuming the same macros.

• girlviernes
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I often run or lift shortly after eating a 1200 calorie meal. I can't imagine trying to do anything after eating six and a half pounds of carrots. (I can't imagine getting even half of that down my throat.)

bla …or 1200 calories of broccoli …talk about clearing the gym out...

I like a challenge :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

there is always one….

care to expound on that? Dare I even ask ….
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    I lose much more weight on a diet that includes processed foods because I will actually keep to that diet. I'm having a lot of success eating what I'm used to eating.

If I tried to eat "clean" 100% of the time I would give up completely, go back to my old way of eating, and then just keep slowly gaining weight. I think that many of the people pushing "clean" diets are perfectly happy eating that way.

If you are eating a diet that satisfies you, you are much more likely to have success with it. "Clean" eaters may actually lose more weight if they comply with their diet more consistently when they eat that way than they do otherwise.

Whatever is most comfortable for the individual is what is most likely to work long-term.

This. Find what you buy into and what enables you to eat a variety, get the macros/micros you need and the right calorie deficit, and that you most easily can follow long-term.

If that isn't true, it doesn't matter one iota if there is some small advantage to one eating plan or another. And, any advantage is frankly speculative at this point with the bulk of studies pointing to the dodo effect with diet plans. People lose the same amount, regain the same amount, and when eating ad libitum end up pretty much consuming the same macros.

Okay - eat 1500 calories of cake - and I will eat 1500 calories of pure nutritious food (as I do now but MORE) and I will flat out not only lose fat pounds but I will retain my muscle mass over the course of one year.

I did the above - it doesn't work. DOESN'T WORK.

You can't outrun a bad diet.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The beef ones taste better, too.

Tonight I made "buffalo turkey burgers".

Chop up a pablano pepper and half an onion. Toss in some chipotle chili powder and some garlic powder. Mix that all into the ground turkey. Wipe on some low cal buffalo sauce. Grill em.

150 calories and taste great!
  • girlviernes
    Options

Okay - eat 1500 calories of cake - and I will eat 1500 calories of pure nutritious food (as I do now but MORE) and I will flat out not only lose fat pounds but I will retain my muscle mass over the course of one year.

First of all, the comparison is with equal macros. So we aren't talking about 1500 kcals of cake.

And guess what, no matter how "clean" the food you still lose muscle mass.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I can't help but notice that you have a very unhealthy relationship with chocolate cake. Why is it that chocoalte cake is the answer to every discussion about clean eating or a balanced diet? Did chocolate cake hurt you somehow?
  • girlviernes
    Options

In case you care, the statement "you can't outrun a bad diet" refers to the fact that if someone is overeating it is very difficult to still have a calorie deficit and lose weight. Of course, you actually CAN outrun a bad diet, but it is probably not the best approach.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I can't help but notice that you have a very unhealthy relationship with chocolate cake. Why is it that chocoalte cake is the answer to every discussion about a balanced diet? Did chocolate cake hurt you somehow?

Chocolate cake is always the answer.
    Youtube-Charlie-Fact.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

captain straw man is back. Who is eats 100% diet of cake, WHO????? I want to know who this famous person is that every MFP straw man is built on….

you keep saying you can't outrun a bad diet, but you never clarify what that means.

are you saying..

a) you can't out train a calorie surplus

or

b) you can't out train an unhealthy diet

????????
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss goes, yes I agree that they'd both lose about the same amount of weight. It comes down to cico for weight loss. ( I wash my plates and silverware before eating so does that make me a clean eater????? Lol...:-)
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

^^^
    I totally agree. There is more to clean eating than calories. You will probably lose roughly the same amount of weight either way. I don't believe there is research proving that 'clean' will make you lose weight faster, however some people (myself included) find that they feel better eating clean. For me that means minimal processed foods, as organic as possible, and avoiding ingredients I can't pronounce. I find the more I watch the types of foods I eat, the less cravings I have and the more energetic I feel. Perhaps it's a placebo, but who cares? Works for me. And no, I don't eat clean 100%.

Also to take into consideration that many processed foods have ingredients in them that have been linked with cancer and other illnesses, however they are considered "safe" if ingested under a certain amount. The problem is that this is compounded by the hundreds of chemicals we are exposed to all day long. In our soap, beauty products, in the air and water, foods, etc. So there is a compounding effect, and for me personally- no thanks. But everyone should do what works for them and what they feel happy doing!
  • girlviernes
    Options

Did you really do a 1500 all cake diet?
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

there is always one….

Sure...

I ate like crap two years ago. Worked out like crazy. Ate whatever I wanted but stayed within 2000 calories. I was burning upwards to 1000 calories per workout - 4 days a week.

Didn't lose a pound. NOT ONE POUND. PT facility has all my results.

Then I changed. Last March, I cleaned out my diet and rebuilt it from the ground level. Ate just veggies, no starches, no sweets, no added sugars, no processed foods, just pure unadulterated food. I worked out EVEN LESS. I was eating 3 large Haas avocados a day. 10 oz of salmon. Eggs in the morning. The one thing I wouldn't eat was fruit - minus the avocado - I didn't want any sugar.

Lost 2# per week and my calorie intake was MORE. Ramped up my workouts and by the time I got to MFP, I already had lost the majority of the weight.

Anyone want to nay-say it, see you in a court of law because I have all the data - blood work, weight, PT, doctor, nutritionist - you name it. All documented evidence. 100%.

Former chocolatier here. At one point in 2012, I was 240#. I actually gained more weight after I sold the business. Lack of activity, crap dietary regimen.

Now I am 165# and I couldn't be happier with my diet. Need to see what it is, as I always say, diary is public.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

But, it's worked for other people who have actually documented it working. I wonder why you are different?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I'm so exhausted with the pseudo-morality attached to food. Ffs. It's food.

I like to joke with myself that I'm eating dirty, on a hclf inorganic diet full of gmo's, processed food, and toxins.
    Thing is, I eat a healthy, varied diet. I'm losing weight. I just refuse to buy into fads and scams and I also refuse to believe that there is "good" and "bad" food, or that one should feel guilt about eating certain foods, or superior and smug about eating others.

I want my kids to have a healthy attitude to food and the best way to do that is to model that myself.

And OF COURSE 1500 calories is 1500 calories. If you're hitting your macros and micros, the rest is irrelevant trendy foodwank.

/rant

Yeah the terminology "clean" is ridiculous. Is a twinkie or even a fresh lentil stew with non-organic produce "unclean?"

I believe that anything that has more than five ingredients is dirty or processed…at least that was a definition I was given once...

Alright, so I should feel guilty about my lentil stew which contains 3 types of lentils, chickpeas, garam masala, jalapeno, mushroom, parsnip, carrot, and ginger (10 ingredients, heavens to betsy!). Got it!

totally dirty ...

But delish!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

there is always one….

Sure...

I ate like crap two years ago. Worked out like crazy. Ate whatever I wanted but stayed within 2000 calories. I was burning upwards to 1000 calories per workout - 4 days a week.

Didn't lose a pound. NOT ONE POUND. PT facility has all my results.

Then I changed. Last March, I cleaned out my diet and rebuilt it from the ground level. Ate just veggies, no starches, no sweets, no added sugars, no processed foods, just pure unadulterated food. I worked out EVEN LESS. I was eating 3 large Haas avocados a day. 10 oz of salmon. Eggs in the morning. The one thing I wouldn't eat was fruit - minus the avocado - I didn't want any sugar.

Lost 2# per week and my calorie intake was MORE. Ramped up my workouts and by the time I got to MFP, I already had lost the majority of the weight.

Anyone want to nay-say it, see you in a court of law because I have all the data - blood work, weight, PT, doctor, nutritionist - you name it. All documented evidence. 100%.

Former chocolatier here. At one point in 2012, I was 240#. I actually gained more weight after I sold the business. Lack of activity, crap dietary regimen.

Now I am 165# and I couldn't be happier with my diet. Need to see what it is, as I always say, diary is public.

but did you weigh also all the food on a food scale
    So the cake you ate?

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I've never ever seen anyone suggest that running magically creates macros or micros the runner is lacking. That's not what that quote is about. It's saying how hard it is to calorie-out an excess calorie-in. It isn't impossible, but it is easier to just eat fewer calories than try to burn off an excess in consumption.

Sorry, what I mean is cake cake cake cake cake.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

But, it's worked for other people who have actually documented it working. I wonder why you are different?

I was per-diabetic - on the diet I had for the course of 6 years owning the business PLUS three years post-sale of the business, I ate like crap.

I have to exercise, have to eat right. That's it. I cannot eat any other way. There's no way around it. If you want to continue to dispute it and libel me, we can let a judge decide.