What should i be eating when I don't like anything?!

ok here is my dilemma. i have been trying to lose weight for a few years now. I have a caloric goal on here of 1620. according to the charts i am very obese. working out comes easy for me when i force myself to go to the gym but its the nutrition thats the problem. for starters, i live off of bread, cheese, pasta, rice and pizza lol. i have cut these back and i know they are bad, and ive given up soda. I HATE WATER but i found ways around it.food wise though i am stuck! i do not eat any veggies besides corn & potatoes and fruit wise i only eat apples, bananas and grapes. YES i have tried to suck it up and try new things but i end up hating it or cannot bring myself to try it. i know its a state of mind most of the time and i am working on that but can someone please help me figure out a good meal plan? i dont care if i have to eat the same thing everyday. i eat chicken grilled so thats a plus lol i am at a lost.. any suggestions? sorry about the very long post! :smiley:

Replies

• marisaelizabeth1
    marisaelizabeth1 Posts: 1 Member
    Have you tried nutrition / protein shakes? Thats simple enough and perhaps flavor friendly for your tastebuds. I'm picky too.. not as much as you, but I find that a shake is helpful. Especially when I get creative and sneak in some fruits or veggies... thats how I learned to 'like' kale. :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Eat your normal foods, just less of them. Fit them into your calorie goal.

You can also try cooking other foods 7 different ways before deciding you don't like them. Flavor your water.

There are tons of things you can do.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    To lose weight, you don't have to stop eating bread, cheese, pasta, etc. etc. It's all about being in a calorie deficit.
    Eat what you like, but limit your portions to fit your caloric goals. No need to make yourself suffer with eating foods you dislike!
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Eat the things you like. Bread, cheese, pasta, rice , pizza, potatoes, etc...
    All of these things are fine. Just work on portion control and stop at 1620 calories.
  • owena535
    owena535 Posts: 5 Member
    Try roasting root vegetables in the oven. (The Roasted Vegetable Cookbook has lots of recipes). Roasting brings out their natural sweetness and concentrates the flavor - a great way to learn to like veggies. I have also converted many a veggie-avoider by making kale chips. Coat fresh kale lightly with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, and roast in a hot oven just until crisp (careful, easy to burn them).

I love Trader Joe's kale, sweet potato and butternut squash pizza. Lots of fiber, good veggies, and not loaded with fat.

Eventually you'll learn to like veggies - keep going! Beyond weight loss benefits, you'll feel better (more stable blood sugar, better digestion) and decrease your risk for chronic diseases if you eat more veggies and fruits.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    edited May 2015
    Quite the dilemma!
    You can still eat pizza, pasta, rice, etc. Maybe just trying making a healthier version of those.
    I eat pizza a couple times a week, using a flat bread with only 130 calories. I still use ham, pineapple, veggies, tom. sauce, etc. It's just all about moderation.
    For pasta, you can always substitute zucchini as 'zoodles', or try a spaghetti squash.
    You don't have to stop eating the things you enjoy though, just eat them in smaller quantities so that they fit your macros. For me, eating foods that I enjoy in moderation is what keeps me accountable. When I deprive myself of the things I enjoy, it leads me to binging.
    Edited: My diary is open, so feel free to take a peak if you want some ideas. I also use the Skinnytaste.com website for a lot of my meal planning, she's got some fantastic and easy recipes on there.
  • jmquintero87
    jmquintero87 Posts: 7 Member
    wow! thank you all for the speedy responses! i am grateful to all of you and will definitely try some of these things! thank you !!
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    You CAN lose weight on a diet that consists of bread, cheese etc. Log it and make sure you're under calories.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    I agree with everyone else, sure it may be easier to eat those "healthy" foods since they'll help you stay more full than a slice of pizza may, but if that's not realistic for you then just eat the same things just in smaller quantities - a calorie is a calorie and if you need to lose weight then a caloric deficit should be your main focus for the time being. Some suggestions I would recommend would be maybe to try making your own pizza with whole grain thinner crust, low fat cheese, and healthier toppings? Or if you don't have time, try to buy lower calorie options such as these! Small changes can go far, you'd be surprised. Even if you can't bring yourself to stomach whole grain bread, then at least try and go for the lower fat cheese, you'd be shocked how close it tastes to the regular variety yet how many calories you can save! Don't give up on trying new things though, it takes constant exposure before you learn to like things, and hey, there has to be something healthy out there you like and never knew about - never give up, just take it slower if you need to!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    What everyone said.

Eat what you like, just less of it. Weigh, measure and track it and make it fit in your calorie goals. You don't have to eat anything you don't like in order to lose weight, plus if you do try and force yourself to eat what you don't like, you will never keep doing it and end up gaining back anything that you lose.

That being said, keep trying new things. Try different recipes. There are millions of recipes on the internet. Try some of them. Fix veggies different ways. Steam, roast, grill, raw, sauteed, minced in other recipes, etc. Just because you didn't like something one way doesn't mean you won't like it another. The same goes for all other foods including protein and whole grains.

Good luck!
  • jmquintero87
    hgycta wrote: »
    I agree with everyone else, sure it may be easier to eat those "healthy" foods since they'll help you stay more full than a slice of pizza may, but if that's not realistic for you then just eat the same things just in smaller quantities - a calorie is a calorie and if you need to lose weight then a caloric deficit should be your main focus for the time being. Some suggestions I would recommend would be maybe to try making your own pizza with whole grain thinner crust, low fat cheese, and healthier toppings? Or if you don't have time, try to buy lower calorie options such as these! Small changes can go far, you'd be surprised. Even if you can't bring yourself to stomach whole grain bread, then at least try and go for the lower fat cheese, you'd be shocked how close it tastes to the regular variety yet how many calories you can save! Don't give up on trying new things though, it takes constant exposure before you learn to like things, and hey, there has to be something healthy out there you like and never knew about - never give up, just take it slower if you need to!
    thank you! i do eat thin crust pizza and whole grain bread. i am going to try the low fat cheese!
  • jmquintero87
    i am happy to read these comments because its nice to know i can be healthy and happy. and thanks for all the support. its nice to not be criticized and told "oh well force yourself" all these years thinking i had to fit into this mold and now i am learning i can create my own! thank you!!!! :smiley::smile:
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Keep trying to eat better food. Our tastes can be changed it just takes time.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    First of all, corn and potatoes are starches, not vegetables...

Make sure you take your vitamins. Think about adding in some fiber pills or gummies. Maybe add in a protein shake so you're getting all of your nutrients in for the day. You can lose weight eating anything in moderation, but if you don't have enough key nutrients, negative side effects will happen. Not enough fat and protein, your hair will start falling out. Not enough soluble fiber and you won't be able to poop. Not enough liquids and you'll get dehydrated, headaches, muscle cramps, and kidney failure if it lasts long enough.

Exercise. Keep your calories below your TDEE. Log EVERYTHING! Try new things until you find something you like.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Eat chicken, bananas, apples, grapes, corn, potatoes (do you like mushroom gravy? mushrooms are low cal and nutritious), pasta (do you eat this plain, without sauce?), bread, rice (can you add finely chopped vegetables?), and pizza (what do you normally eat on your pizza? Can you add onion, peppers, or other vegetables?).

Drink whatever you like, as long as it's not 100% alcoholic beverages. Hydration does not only occur with water.

Stay within your calorie goals. Calories are all that matters for weight loss. If you are not going to eat more vegetables I'd suggest taking a daily multivitamin for health.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Eat the things you like. Bread, cheese, pasta, rice , pizza, potatoes, etc...
    All of these things are fine. Just work on portion control and stop at 1620 calories.

Those things are all fine in MODERATION. They do not make up a complete diet. Veggies, fruits, and protein are important. Sure it's possible to lose weight eating a doritoes and twinkie diet, but that doesn't meant it's a great way to maintain weight loss or maintain good health.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    ok here is my dilemma. i have been trying to lose weight for a few years now. I have a caloric goal on here of 1620. according to the charts i am very obese. working out comes easy for me when i force myself to go to the gym but its the nutrition thats the problem. for starters, i live off of bread, cheese, pasta, rice and pizza lol. i have cut these back and i know they are bad, and ive given up soda. I HATE WATER but i found ways around it.food wise though i am stuck! i do not eat any veggies besides corn & potatoes and fruit wise i only eat apples, bananas and grapes. YES i have tried to suck it up and try new things but i end up hating it or cannot bring myself to try it. i know its a state of mind most of the time and i am working on that but can someone please help me figure out a good meal plan? i dont care if i have to eat the same thing everyday. i eat chicken grilled so thats a plus lol i am at a lost.. any suggestions? sorry about the very long post! :smiley:

It sounds like you know what you're doing. Unfortunately it takes a long time for your tastes to change. But your taste for food will eventually change if you can force yourself to eat other types of food for awhile. If you want to have good tasting veggies look into roasted cauliflower with paprika, olive oil, salt, pepper, etc. If there are foods that cause your to have trouble controlling your intake (eg potato chips, sugary cereal), then don't keep them around your house for awhile. Keep fruit and nuts around for snacking on instead.

And you must like chicken right? Everyone likes chicken!
  • WynterHewett
    WynterHewett Posts: 1 Member
    I had the same problem! Lots of foods I hated like spinach, strawberries, blueberries. Can't eat them so I decided to blend them. MUCH easier!
  • jmquintero87
    Eat chicken, bananas, apples, grapes, corn, potatoes (do you like mushroom gravy? mushrooms are low cal and nutritious), pasta (do you eat this plain, without sauce?), bread, rice (can you add finely chopped vegetables?), and pizza (what do you normally eat on your pizza? Can you add onion, peppers, or other vegetables?).

Drink whatever you like, as long as it's not 100% alcoholic beverages. Hydration does not only occur with water.

Stay within your calorie goals. Calories are all that matters for weight loss. If you are not going to eat more vegetables I'd suggest taking a daily multivitamin for health.
    thanks for your input, i do not eat mushrooms, pasta i can eat without anything, and i normally eat thin crust plain cheese pizza. i drink water with pink lemonade shake in packets, i will def. look into a multivitamin thanks!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    One of my favorite afternoon snacks (as soon as I get home from work, I am ravenous and want to eat all the foods) is to slice up a pita, drizzle a tsp of olive oil, sprinkle with oregano, shred a slice of cheddar cheese on top, heat and enjoy "nachos". Carb fix satiated with only 150 calories. Winning! ;)
    Also, if you love pasta and want to eat it... use it as a side. Some angel hair spaghetti on the side of a grilled chicken with roasted red potatoes is not a bad meal!