what is the healthier choice besides soda for caffeine

Options

Replies

• seckard16
    seckard16 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    seckard16 wrote: »
    Diet soda has artificial sugars in it that are just as bad as the regular soda. I use caffeine water or SPARK.

lol "just as bad as regular soda", wut

OP you can always hit up some NoDoz

The only difference is no calories. If you do your research and not laugh at an educated answer, you'd see the same.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has artificial sugars in it that are just as bad as the regular soda. I use caffeine water or SPARK.

I have no idea what this means. The reason I usually avoid regular soda is because I don't think it is worth the calories. But diet soda has no calories. Why is this "just as bad"?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

The only difference is no calories. If you do your research and not laugh at an educated answer, you'd see the same.

citations please
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No-calorie options are always helpful for those of us watching our calorie intake. Water is good too, though water does not have any caffeine in it.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree - coffee, tea, if your just looking for the energy caffeine gives you then take a 5-hour energy. Otherwise, try to avoid any kind of soda.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I use a fair amount of MioEnergy (or WalMart/Target equivalent store brand stuff) to replace the Mountain Dew I was drinking. Sometimes I'll add some Sprit Zero if I'm craving the carbonation, could probably just use it in carbonated water...Doesn't help if you're particularly concerned about the artificial sweeteners, but if you're just looking for low cal caffeine (beyond coffee/(black/green) tea/diet soda), it gets some decent levels.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    coffee actually has nutritional value. drink some coffee. tea has nutritional value as well, but not enough caffeine for me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Explain yourself.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Just no.
  • elphie754
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    I agree - coffee, tea, if your just looking for the energy caffeine gives you then take a 5-hour energy. Otherwise, try to avoid any kind of soda.

Why? What is wrong woth soda?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

citations please

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782974
  • seckard16
    seckard16 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Clarification. If you are SOLELY basing it on caloric benefits, yes. Diet is a better choice. HOWEVER, Research has shown artificial sweeteners affect blood glucose levels and with long term consumption, your body starts to treat it like actual glucose. Thus, losing the benefits of having no calories by increasing your blood sugar.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Clarification. If you are SOLELY basing it on caloric benefits, yes. Diet is a better choice. HOWEVER, Research has shown artificial sweeteners affect blood glucose levels and with long term consumption, your body starts to treat it like actual glucose. Thus, losing the benefits of having no calories by increasing your blood sugar.

Nope.
  • whmscll
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

citations please

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › NCBI › Literature › PubMed Central (PMC)

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

citations please

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › NCBI › Literature › PubMed Central (PMC)

Lol, the burden of proof is clearly not on me, but thanks anyway?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @seckard16 , I call broscience. Citations, please.
    @whmscll, that link takes me to 23 million citations. Surely they aren't all related to diet soda.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Did OP write he was worried about his blood sugar?
  • whmscll
    Options
    Stupid app won't show the right link. But Google "diet soda affects insulin response" and you will see it. It took me literally YEARS to believe this. I still drink diet soda, just not as much.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Surely millions of diabetics can't be wrong. Calorie-free and sugar-free diet soda is perfectly safe for them, whereas sugar-sweetened sodas are not.