what is the healthier choice besides soda for caffeine

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Surely millions of diabetics can't be wrong. Calorie-free and sugar-free diet soda is perfectly safe for them, whereas sugar-sweetened sodas are not.

This is true. If diet soda DID impact blood sugar, we'd see the results immediately as people who require careful blood sugar management began to respond to the soda they were drinking.
  • seckard16
    seckard16 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    seckard16 wrote: »
    Clarification. If you are SOLELY basing it on caloric benefits, yes. Diet is a better choice. HOWEVER, Research has shown artificial sweeteners affect blood glucose levels and with long term consumption, your body starts to treat it like actual glucose. Thus, losing the benefits of having no calories by increasing your blood sugar.

Did OP write he was worried about his blood sugar?

He asked what was HEALTHIER. Leaving it open to interpretation. He didn't ask for a debate between diet and regular. Or what had fewer calories. He didn't specify a goal or reason behind wanting alternatives. People on these threads with their attacks and arguing is ridiculous.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like diet green tea by Lipton. Or I take vitamins that have caffeine in them.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I still drink some diet soda. Tons better than sugar-laden soda. The research apparently shows that the artificial sweeteners trigger the same receptors as sugar does, thus releasing more insulin which makes you hang onto fat. Or some such. I am totally paraphrasing and probably explaining that wrong. However, the experts apparently are beginning to agree that diet soda is not good for you. If it gets you off the sugary stuff and helps you lose weight, I say drink it. Just not too much. Everything in moderation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    OK. Regular Pepsi has water, sparkle, flavourings, sugar, and caffeine. Diet Pepsi has water, sparkle, flavourings, sweetener, and caffeine.

So where's the unhealthy part? Is it the water, the flavourings, or the sweetener? I'd assume it's the sweetener/calorie part.
  • tammiann61
    tammiann61 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We only drink iced tea in our home. No sugar just plain quick brew tea in cold water.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Organic Breakfast Black Tea from Mighty Leaf Tea company. Best. Tea. Ever., and it's muy caffeinated.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @whmscll , where are these experts? I want to call them on the carpet. Because if artificial sweeteners triggered an insulin response, there are millions of diabetics that would know already.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Clarification. If you are SOLELY basing it on caloric benefits, yes. Diet is a better choice. HOWEVER, Research has shown artificial sweeteners affect blood glucose levels and with long term consumption, your body starts to treat it like actual glucose. Thus, losing the benefits of having no calories by increasing your blood sugar.

He asked what was HEALTHIER. Leaving it open to interpretation. He didn't ask for a debate between diet and regular. Or what had fewer calories. He didn't specify a goal or reason behind wanting alternatives. People on these threads with their attacks and arguing is ridiculous.

There's sucralose in your Advocare SPARK :confounded::confounded::confounded:

Quackery and broscience is much more ridiculous than "attacks and arguing" :mrgreen:
  • whmscll
    Options
    OK. Regular Pepsi has water, sparkle, flavourings, sugar, and caffeine. Diet Pepsi has water, sparkle, flavourings, sweetener, and caffeine.

So where's the unhealthy part? Is it the water, the flavourings, or the sweetener? I'd assume it's the sweetener/calorie part.

Research says the sweetener. I'm not qualified to explain it. Google it...there is a lot written on this recently.
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am going on 4 weeks soda free ( except for a can of sprite once every couple weeks on our pizza night ). I used to drink crazy amounts of Coke and Mountain Dew. I replaced it all with one large glass of sweetened ice tea per day. It helped with the headaches in the beginning. I am slowly decreasing the sugar I add by 2g per week. This is the first time that I've cut soda pretty much cold turkey and haven't had any cravings whatsoever.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Stupid app won't show the right link. But Google "diet soda affects insulin response" and you will see it. It took me literally YEARS to believe this. I still drink diet soda, just not as much.

Google is NOT a source for citations. Oh- and when I google that, all I get in fear mongering sites.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

No, what's ridiculous is people on these threads who get disagreed with and cry "attack."

• jgnatca
    Options
    @whmscll , I've googled extensively through the years. I call bro-science on all the anti-artificial sweetener claims. Call me crazy, but I trust the FDA approval process. I say sugar is much more hazardous to the dieter than any approved sweeteners. It's liquid calories and it adds up quickly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

And I'm still unclear on what you think is so unhealthy about diet soda.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I need some options

Green tea. Helps one burn 50 calories extra a day. Tastes nasty if you brew it too long though.
  • whmscll
    Options

Research says the sweetener. I'm not qualified to explain it. Google it...there is a lot written on this recently.
    elphie754 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Stupid app won't show the right link. But Google "diet soda affects insulin response" and you will see it. It took me literally YEARS to believe this. I still drink diet soda, just not as much.

Google is NOT a source for citations. Oh- and when I google that, all I get in fear mongering sites.

NCBI = national center for biotechnology information, part of the U.S. institutes for Health. Not a fear mongering site. Sorry i was unable to post the exact link to the research study I found.
  • seckard16
    seckard16 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

No, what's ridiculous is people on these threads who get disagreed with and cry "attack."

You can disagree with me all day long. I don't care. My point is, everyone has there opinion. The OP wanted opinions. I highly doubt he wants to see you picking apart everyone's responses. And instead of sitting on here doing that, offer up your suggestions. It's not the place to be debating. Leave your response to the original post and move on with your day.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Tum22 wrote: »
    I need some options

Green tea. Helps one burn 50 calories extra a day. Tastes nasty if you brew it too long though.

Haha no.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

You can disagree with me all day long. I don't care. My point is, everyone has there opinion. The OP wanted opinions. I highly doubt he wants to see you picking apart everyone's responses. And instead of sitting on here doing that, offer up your suggestions. It's not the place to be debating. Leave your response to the original post and move on with your day.

You gave your opinion so why are you still here arguing? :kissing_heart: