vegan diet vs high protein diet

Options
Can't decide which one to do, I want to decrease body fat percentage. I'm 102 lbs, 41% body fat. I know that, ultimately it all goes down to calories in and out, but is there anyone who tried both ? If so, what were the results ? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Replies

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to choose between them? How about a balanced diet that includes both "vegan" foods AND high quality protein foods like meat?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Protein will probably be your best bet, as your weight is already low and it'll help you retain your LBM.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to "do" anything except eat in a deficit. Your food intake doesn't need a label... Just eat the food you like, to fit your goals, making sure the majority of what goes in your mouth is nutritious...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How can you be 102lbs and 41% BF...??? seriously....
  • aliaslocke
    aliaslocke Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Can you really be 102lbs and 41%bf?

Oops. It was already asked.
  • harlowbyrd
    harlowbyrd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Why do you have to choose between them? How about a balanced diet that includes both "vegan" foods AND high quality protein foods like meat?
    Wanted to get an insight from someone who has done both.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    harlowbyrd wrote: »
    jddnw wrote: »
    Wanted to get an insight from someone who has done both.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? What is your goal weight?
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I'm guessing it's a typo and op meant 202 lbs...
  • saeku
    saeku Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out is what *weight loss* comes down to -- not necessarily fat loss. Your body weight is made of fat mass and lean mass. Right now according to your stats, you have 42 lbs of fat and 60 lbs of lean mass, so to get down to a healthy 20% BF percentage just by losing weight, you would need to drop 27 lbs of fat with no corresponding loss of muscle. Since your weight is already so low, it's probably better to focus a bit on building lean muscle mass. That's assuming your BF% is correct. Those are pretty unusual numbers.

I don't know what benefit a vegan diet would have to your situation. Typically, vegan diets are low in protein compared to calories, which is a downside if you're looking to build lean body mass and not gain fat.
  • harlowbyrd
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How tall are you? Protein will probably be your best bet, as your weight is already low and it'll help you retain your LBM.
    I'm 5'3.

I'm leaning more towards high protein diet.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I'm 5'3.

And you are 102 lbs? You are underweight. You need to gain weight.
  • malibu927
    Options
    I'm 5'3.

You're underweight. Definitely look into a body recomp program, or maybe even a slight surplus to get you into a healthy range.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Can't decide which one to do, I want to decrease body fat percentage. I'm 102 lbs, 41% body fat. I know that, ultimately it all goes down to calories in and out, but is there anyone who tried both ? If so, what were the results ? Any advice is greatly appreciated
    Well I am NOT a fan of CICO because, well, it's false. But I have eaten different ways, vegan, raw vegan, SAD, etc. In my own experience, eating in such a way as to avoid spikes in blood sugar has brought the steadiest and fastest results ever, even at my current age of 46! Make veggies your first choice, non-starchy, and especially get lots of greens!! Aim for 1lb of non-starchy veggies a day, and increase your fiber to 35-45g/day. Then draw into your meals proteins, and try to eat 35% protein. Eat 40-50% healthy fats such as coconut products, nuts, avos, etc. 15% or less carbs, derived from the above mentioned foods. Personally, I pulled out dairy, sugar, fruit and grains from my diet for now. I will eat them later, after I have finished shedding all the unhealthy stress-fat that went on my body! I would be happy to answer questions of you have them. If you can see my profile page, I have listed my progress since I started doing this! Health and blessings!
  • malibu927
    Options
    Well I am NOT a fan of CICO because, well, it's false. But I have eaten different ways, vegan, raw vegan, SAD, etc. In my own experience, eating in such a way as to avoid spikes in blood sugar has brought the steadiest and fastest results ever, even at my current age of 46! Make veggies your first choice, non-starchy, and especially get lots of greens!! Aim for 1lb of non-starchy veggies a day, and increase your fiber to 35-45g/day. Then draw into your meals proteins, and try to eat 35% protein. Eat 40-50% healthy fats such as coconut products, nuts, avos, etc. 15% or less carbs, derived from the above mentioned foods. Personally, I pulled out dairy, sugar, fruit and grains from my diet for now. I will eat them later, after I have finished shedding all the unhealthy stress-fat that went on my body! I would be happy to answer questions of you have them. If you can see my profile page, I have listed my progress since I started doing this! Health and blessings!

How is CICO, aka basic science, false?
  • elphie754
    Options

What?!? How is CICO false? And can you please link to scientific journals that state this?
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. CICO is basic science.
  • harlowbyrd
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I'm. I used to be very lean and I don't even have a sweet tooth. That doesn't mean I eat less junk food, pizza is my weakness.