vegan diet vs high protein diet

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    harlowbyrd wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    How can you be 102lbs and 41% BF...??? seriously....
    Unfortunately, I'm. I used to be very lean and I don't even have a sweet tooth. That doesn't mean I eat less junk food, pizza is my weakness.

No you really aren't. It's pretty much impossible seeing as you are under weight. If you really think you are, perhaps it is time to see a therapist about your body image issues.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Unfortunately, I'm. I used to be very lean and I don't even have a sweet tooth. That doesn't mean I eat less junk food, pizza is my weakness.

Ok but that doesn't explain how you're 41% body fat at 102 lbs... That doesn't even make sense. Even when I was your weight and didn't ever go to the gym I was still around 15% body fat. I just don't see how that's even possible unless you literally never move and have severe muscle atrophy from being on bed rest or you're about 3 feet tall.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

I'm about 45% BF, but I weigh 187 pounds. There is definitely a discrepancy with that number unless you've had it measured professionally.
  • saeku
    saeku Posts: 11 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Sorry but there is absolutely no way you could even begin to give her advise since the numbers she gave make no sense.

I was guessing really short... yeah... you're right, those numbers need to be wrong somewhere.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    CICO IS science but it is FASE application in relation to a HUMAN body..we re NOT bunsen burners… we do NOT burn 1 kilocalorie from X amount of heat the way science explains it. ANYONE with a metabolic or seep apnea issue KNOWS you can't lose weigh on LESS calories in..beacuse the body does not ABIDE by CICO. Ask me..I was <1000 in DEFICIT a DAY for 16 months on a SAD…and didn't lose..because my body was in shut down mode over sleep apnea..I didn't need 2500 calories as the chart showed to keep all my weight ..I ate only 1400..and STILL have virtually no loss the entire time because my body was not letting go of fat. Until SA was corrected, and I switched to a LOW CARB diet..then I lost weight...
  • forgtmenot
    CICO IS science but it is FASE application in relation to a HUMAN body..we re NOT bunsen burners… we do NOT burn 1 kilocalorie from X amount of heat the way science explains it. ANYONE with a metabolic or seep apnea issue KNOWS you can't lose weigh on LESS calories in..beacuse the body does not ABIDE by CICO. Ask me..I was <1000 in DEFICIT a DAY for 16 months on a SAD…and didn't lose..because my body was in shut down mode over sleep apnea..I didn't need 2500 calories as the chart showed to keep all my weight ..I ate only 1400..and STILL have virtually no loss the entire time because my body was not letting go of fat. Until SA was corrected, and I switched to a LOW CARB diet..then I lost weight...

In a person with no metabolic issues or medical conditions which effect how they burn calories, cico works. To give someone else advice based on your medical condition which they don't even have makes little sense.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How tall are you? Protein will probably be your best bet, as your weight is already low and it'll help you retain your LBM.
    I'm 5'3.

I'm leaning more towards high protein diet.
    I'm finding that high protein keeps me feeling satisfied, as does the higher fiber intake. About a week after initially lowering my carbs my body completely adjusted to it. But that week was kinda rough....fatigue, moods, and even a headache. But I have been doing this for 2 months now, so I am finding it to be sustainable! Also I am under the care of a NP, and we are tracking blood levels, so it's been exciting to see the progress!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How tall are you? Protein will probably be your best bet, as your weight is already low and it'll help you retain your LBM.
    I'm 5'3.

I'm leaning more towards high protein diet.

And you are 102 lbs? You are underweight. You need to gain weight.

Seconded.

There is no way you are 41% body fat, @harlowbyrd . Please stop thinking that.

• forgtmenot
    edited May 2015
    Harlowbyrd, who told you you were 41% body fat? There is no way that is accurate at 5'3 and 102lbs. It just isn't possible. You are underweight by 10 lbs for your height.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member

The carbs you are referring to (pizza) are still, ultimately, sugar in your blood stream....and usually minus any of the soluble fiber which would slow down it's entrance into your blood stream. So if you are already having a problem with your blood sugar (are you under a dr's care?) then this food would not be your best choice. Better carbs are had from veggies, or from nuts, in balance with fiber in food.
  • harlowbyrd
    harlowbyrd Posts: 9 Member
    I don't dislike myself because of the weight gain. I'm perfectly content and feeling comfortable in my (thicker) skin. That being said I would like to have a healthy bmi.
  • forgtmenot
    ... This is pointless.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I don't dislike myself because of the weight gain. I'm perfectly content and feeling comfortable in my (thicker) skin. That being said I would like to have a healthy bmi.

Your BMI is under 19! That's so healthy it's unhealthy. Do you understand?
  • lulufee317537
    lulufee317537 Posts: 50 Member
    First of all, a high protein diet and a vegan diet aren't mutually exclusive. Check out http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/ there are many sources of vegan protein, people get massive gains being vegan. Ever hear of Patrick Baboumian??

Besides this, if you are indeed 105 lbs with very little muscle mass, then I think I stand with many other posters here in saying that you don't need to be on a calorie deficit. Just start weight training and actually eat a bit more calories and you will gain muscle over time. There is NO way you are going to tighten up your flab if you don't eat enough food. You will only be a smaller, equally flabby person.

Another point I want to say is that CICO does work. The problem is that the estimates of how many calories you burn and also how many calories are in food can be off, sometimes very off. People often use a heart rate monitor to get an accurate measure of calories burned.

While it is true that your metabolism will slow down if you are in too great of a calorie deficit, if you are exercising and dieting, you will lose weight. And if you aren't eating enough to support your activity level, you will know it because you will crash, feel like *kitten*, get sick, have decreased energy, have foggy thinking, etc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    5'3 and 102lb is a BMI of 17.8 - seriously underweight ....

You are categorically NOT 41% BF if those numbers are right
    - scales do not measure BF

Vegan is not a weight loss diet