Do you ever want to want to eat something "bad"?

Options

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Have you cut back too much on sugar or any other nutrient? Perhaps you're deficient (I know magnesium and iron deficiencies are common which could make you crave chocolate, for instance) in something!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There is an easy way to have these things you want it calls excersise, just burn enough extra to accommodate your cookies then enough
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Guess I do not understand the problem. Are you perhaps concerned your taste buds have walked out on you?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't understand wanting to want something. I either want it or I don't.

Maybe this is a humblebrag? :huh:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I get that way sometimes, usually with foods that I don't like. I want to drink a beer and chill, or have a small pulled pork poutine from Smoke's.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,853 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    No such thing as "bad" food. If you want a cookie and have calories left over, go for it.

Absolutely!!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,853 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If you have the calories for the cookie, eat the cookie! Enjoy it. Make sure it's something you find tasty :)

~Lyssa

One of the things that has changed for me since being here at MFP is that I think about what I'm eating much more than I used to. So if I have some extra calories to use, I want to use them on something I will really enjoy.

Last night I thought I wanted one Anzac biscuit, but when I looked at them ... I changed my mind, they just weren't good enough for me to waste calorie on.

• marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you gonna have bad food then have it for real, the way it makes you fill full, for instance, sometimes when I am craving for unhealthy food, I skip breakfast and have a huge hamburger with 2 large cups of coffee. Then I am ok, but picking here and there is not good, better to have extra calories, or an extra portion of good food like cereal or oats than an insignificant quantity of chips or cookies.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If you have the calories for the cookie, eat the cookie! Enjoy it. Make sure it's something you find tasty :)

~Lyssa

One of the things that has changed for me since being here at MFP is that I think about what I'm eating much more than I used to. So if I have some extra calories to use, I want to use them on something I will really enjoy.

Last night I thought I wanted one Anzac biscuit, but when I looked at them ... I changed my mind, they just weren't good enough for me to waste calorie on.

I go through that exact same thought process often also. Some things are just not worth the calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    No such thing as "bad" food. If you want a cookie and have calories left over, go for it.

This.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I think I get this, it's sort of binge disorder thinking. You want to do something bad just because it's bad. You don't really want a cookie, you just want it because you're not supposed to have it. If this is the case, a lot of people are missing the point. And are lucky to have never experienced this.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It sounds odd but I get what your saying, My brain seems to think it should want a "bad" meal, it just doesn't really want it when I sit down to plan it and loses all appeal. (And I'm iifym...)

Honest advise is to go buy an individual big cookie with a coffee in starbucks or similar. See how you feel after, should be enough to satisfy the part of you that wants to be "bad" without blowing your calorie goal.

(I take this as a sign to watch myself closely, too many weird contradictory food thoughts and it's often time to take a break from the diet and chill. If you've been at this too long mild disordered thinking can creep in and that just sucks.)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How long have you been dieting for and how much weight have you lost? When you diet for a extended period of time your bodies metabolism will slow down as it believes it's beginning to go into starvation mode. It no longer burns as many calories at rest than it did before. So introducing a re-feed day is common and recommend if you've lost a lot of weight, or having been dieting for a extended period of time. This causes us to have a heightened want and extreme cravings for food. So giving your body more carbs one day will help your body realize that what you're doing on is in fact on purpose and not because you are starving.

ONE DAY the god damn 'starvation mode' myth will die.

And OP, i totally get what you mean about 'wanting to want something'. It is hard to explain. It's almost disappointing when you look at a cookie and think 'i would have devoured you in a second two months ago. Now the sight of you doesn't do anything for me'.

It's like waking up one morning and suddenly realizing that your partner of 10 years is actually the most boring and unattractive person in the world and having no idea why you have suddenly come to that realization. That's the only way i can think of describing it :p

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting for and how much weight have you lost? When you diet for a extended period of time your bodies metabolism will slow down as it believes it's beginning to go into starvation mode. It no longer burns as many calories at rest than it did before. So introducing a re-feed day is common and recommend if you've lost a lot of weight, or having been dieting for a extended period of time. This causes us to have a heightened want and extreme cravings for food. So giving your body more carbs one day will help your body realize that what you're doing on is in fact on purpose and not because you are starving.

ONE DAY the god damn 'starvation mode' myth will die.

Preach
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean OP. I gave up smoking a long time ago but I still want to want a cigarette. I've even tried to have one but it just made me sick. The human mind is a beautiful and frightening thing!

Sometimes I want to want cake. Sometimes I even eat it when I don't want it because I feel I should crave it.

I think it's a sign we are doing well. We are not restricting ourselves and we are in control and not feeling deprived. Its in the human conditioning to feel that we should miss something when its gone, even if that thing wasn't good for us and having it gone is better for us.

Score 1 for the brain and 0 for the logic!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Why is it that the "your body is in starvation mode" people always drop that bomb and then never return? It's like they want our heads to implode.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options

And OP, i totally get what you mean about 'wanting to want something'. It is hard to explain. It's almost disappointing when you look at a cookie and think 'i would have devoured you in a second two months ago. Now the sight of you doesn't do anything for me'.

It's like waking up one morning and suddenly realizing that your partner of 10 years is actually the most boring and unattractive person in the world and having no idea why you have suddenly come to that realization. That's the only way i can think of describing it :p

[/quote]

I love this explanation, its totally on the money!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It happens. I crave chips or candy bars sometimes, just like I crave cauliflower or greek yogurt other times. The best thing to do would be to have it and get this out of your system, and to have it guilt-free so you don't fall into a guilt-overeat cycle. What @Machka9 said is actually true. If you think about your leftover calories and what they could be spent on, would you spend them on those cookies or is there something else you would enjoy more? If you find yourself really wanting the cookies, then the calories are worth it. If not, then you will feel satisfied having something else you want more. It's not uncommon to want something out of habit or just because it's "naughty" and you're rebelling without really wanting it.