help...Im eating too much junk food.

Options

Replies

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    hgurke wrote: »
    So you're saying I should be craving fruits vegetables and multivitamins to make up for any deficiencies in my body? Why the hell do I crave Cinnabon then?

I'm afraid you're misinformed on the research.
    I'm not misinformed, you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. You're craving Cinnabon because you're addicted to sugar. Your statement is like asking why crack addicts crave crack cocaine.

Because sugar and crack are the same...
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    This is bull.
    Sugar is known to be more addictive than heroin, not sure what part of my statement you think is "bull".

Known by who? And post real sources, not hippie naturopathic woo
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This is bull.
    Sugar is known to be more addictive than heroin, not sure what part of my statement you think is "bull".
    All of what you're saying is bull. Comparing sugar to heroin as an addiction is like trying to mix oil and water.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm not addicted to sugar.... And you're using a poor analogy. Sorry but the brain is going to crave things that have nothing to do with nutritional deficiencies. And to extrapolate a certain mineral deficiency out of 100s of cravings people get in a day cannot be studied with any controlled experiment.
    You're on the internet, even if you do not have access to an academic search engine you can look up these studies yourself. :)

I do have access to academic search engines and I'm well aware of the research out there. Like I said, you're misinformed about the research. Perhaps you made a bad conclusion when reading it?
  • Saryia
    Saryia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have better things to do than argue with people who are too stubborn to look things up themselves. If you want to stay misinformed, go ahead. There's lots and lots of information out there, maybe you can do yourself a favor and actually look it up instead of arguing factually wrong information on a myfitnesspal forum thread under the misguided notion that your beliefs are correct.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm not addicted to sugar.... And you're using a poor analogy. Sorry but the brain is going to crave things that have nothing to do with nutritional deficiencies. And to extrapolate a certain mineral deficiency out of 100s of cravings people get in a day cannot be studied with any controlled experiment.
    You're on the internet, even if you do not have access to an academic search engine you can look up these studies yourself. :)

Not the way it works. Because you opened up this facet of the conversation, you need to post peer reviewed links.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    This is bull.

I'm guessing you've never had a genuine addiction or known anyone who has, because no one who has ever had any experience with addiction would ever say that. That isn't even remotely close to being true.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    Yes, yes you are - your diary is terrible!

Why are you turning to the chocolate/icecream etc?

I think you need to plan and prepare some meals, with decent protein, good Fats and a variety of fresh vegies and some fruit. Really ask yourself after eating your planned meal if you need the chocolate or icecream. If you're bored, get out and do something.
    There's nothing wrong with eating ice cream as long as it fits into her goals. I eat ice cream a few times a week, but I make it fit into my goals. The issue here isn't what she is eating it's why she is eating over her goal. My guess is her rate of loss is set at something like 2 lbs/week which is setting her calorie goal to 1200 which is probably too low.

There is nothing wrong with icecream or chocolate, except when it's taking up most of your calories and you have very little food with decent nutrient value...

None of that has anything to do with weight loss. "Decent nutrient value" doesn't effect weight loss.

I believe the OP was asking for suggestions to stop binging on the chocolate and icecream. Which I did.

The op needs a plan she can stick to for life and telling someone they can't eat foods they love and still lose weight is simply false and could cause them to give up entirely.

Where did I say she should give them up completely and never eat them again?

Where did you say in your first post that she could continue to eat them? You implied in your post that she shouldn't eat those things. The issue isn't what she's eating, it's how much. The best way to fix why she is eating too much (if she really is eating too much) is to figure out why. Saying "don't eat those things!" And reinforcing her belief that those foods are bad and forbidden Is not really helpful.

No I didn't and that's what I asked her. You just can't read, or choose to interpret how you want.
  • Saryia
    Saryia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So basically you have nothing to back up your claims.
    You can look up the study I cited or look things up yourself, I'm not doing your homework for you :) Also I am logging off of MFP.

scholar.google.com is a good place to start :)

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have better things to do than argue with people who are too stubborn to look things up themselves. If you want to stay misinformed, go ahead. There's lots and lots of information out there, maybe you can do yourself a favor and actually look it up instead of arguing factually wrong information on a myfitnesspal forum thread under the misguided notion that your beliefs are correct.

I did a brief search. I found a study that said rats prefer saccharin water to cocaine water. I don't blame them, so would I. Maybe this just means rats aren't stupid, or didn't like the way cocaine made them feel. Rats can't talk, so we don't really know.
  • forgtmenot
    Options

I think you need to plan and prepare some meals, with decent protein, good Fats and a variety of fresh vegies and some fruit. Really ask yourself after eating your planned meal if you need the chocolate or icecream. If you're bored, get out and do something.
    There's nothing wrong with eating ice cream as long as it fits into her goals. I eat ice cream a few times a week, but I make it fit into my goals. The issue here isn't what she is eating it's why she is eating over her goal. My guess is her rate of loss is set at something like 2 lbs/week which is setting her calorie goal to 1200 which is probably too low.

There is nothing wrong with icecream or chocolate, except when it's taking up most of your calories and you have very little food with decent nutrient value...

None of that has anything to do with weight loss. "Decent nutrient value" doesn't effect weight loss.

I believe the OP was asking for suggestions to stop binging on the chocolate and icecream. Which I did.

The op needs a plan she can stick to for life and telling someone they can't eat foods they love and still lose weight is simply false and could cause them to give up entirely.

Where did you say in your first post that she could continue to eat them? You implied in your post that she shouldn't eat those things. The issue isn't what she's eating, it's how much. The best way to fix why she is eating too much (if she really is eating too much) is to figure out why. Saying "don't eat those things!" And reinforcing her belief that those foods are bad and forbidden Is not really helpful.

No I didn't and that's what I asked her. You just can't read, or choose to interpret how you want.

You clearly don't even get what my issue was with what you said, and I'm tired of explaining it. If I couldn't read I don't think I would be able to type any of this. Haha seriously? Just stop already.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Oh man how many trolls can we have in one thread? This is actually funny.

Everyone does know the name of this app is My FITNESS plan. You guys do notice that the word is FITNESS and not weightloss correct? Yes we all know we can eat 1200 calories of junk food and lose weight. But eating pure junk food with little nutritional value is not a long term weight loss solution. So whom ever said an all ice ream diet is a viable solution why don't you go ahead and try it and let's see how that works out for.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Oh man how many trolls can we have in one thread? This is actually funny.

Everyone does know the name of this app is My FITNESS plan. You guys do notice that the word is FITNESS and not weightloss correct? Yes we all know we can eat 1200 calories of junk food and lose weight. But eating pure junk food with little nutritional value is not a long term weight loss solution. So whom ever said an all ice ream diet is a viable solution why don't you go ahead and try it and let's see how that works out for.

Since when are fitness and nutrition the same thing? This is a calorie counting app. I think it is obvious that this site is mainly intended for weight loss. This is also the weight loss section of the forum, incase you haven't noticed...
  • forgtmenot
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Double post*
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    OMG. Your daily intake consists of sugar and hardly any nutrients. You are starving yourself with all that food.

Find a registered dietician and have them help you develop a food plan.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You clearly don't even get what my issue was with what you said, and I'm tired of explaining it. If I couldn't read I don't think I would be able to type any of this. Haha seriously? Just stop already.

You told me that I told her not to eat chocolate and icecream - i didn't.
    You said she needs to know why she's eating that stuff - which I asked her.
    She asked for suggestions as to ways to stop eating so much - which I gave her.

You have made your own issues out of what I said. You can clearly read (again, I gave you two options for your misinterpretation) so how about you stop making up your own version of what I said ?
  • choosingequilibrium
    choosingequilibrium Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Concerning the candy bars and frozen yogurt, I know that when I'm working out and eating clean I don't seem to "need" the candy, frozen yogurt and such. But, emotionally when I'm off it seems these foods are my medicine. You mentioned that you recently added these back into your diet. When that happens to me I know it is because I'm feeling out of control of my schedule and keeping everyone happy soon I stop planning my meals and throw up my hands. Are you sure there isn't something pulling you back to that world that you aren't saying "Well, at least I can have this"...of course you can! But, for me it usually means a slippery slope and I need to really add to my vision board or search out what else I'm missing. Which is precisely why I'm here this morning. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and stories on the message board. It is very thought provoking.