Is it really just only about sticking to a calorie deficit?

Options
124»

Replies

• Magenta529
    Magenta529 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority, but if I don't exercise, I don't lose weight even at a calorie deficit. Until I quit smoking 11 years ago, I could eat whatever I wanted, never exercised, and didn't gain a pound.

I'm with you. I struggle to lose if I'm not exercising, no matter what my calorie deficit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Magenta529 wrote: »
    I'm in the minority, but if I don't exercise, I don't lose weight even at a calorie deficit. Until I quit smoking 11 years ago, I could eat whatever I wanted, never exercised, and didn't gain a pound.

I'm with you. I struggle to lose if I'm not exercising, no matter what my calorie deficit.

This is unlikely. In a calorie deficit, your body will burn fat. While, technically, that doesn't always equal weight loss because weight is more than just fat, most likely you are just saying that you find it harder to create a deficit without exercise.

This is true for many people. You have to eat less to lose weight if you are sedentary.

There are medical disorders (hormonal or metabolic mostly) that can signigicantly lower the threshold at which you will be in a deficit, but still if you are in a deficit, you will lost fat.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh, it's under "reports". They are all separate.

But they're weekly reports, right? No chance to see it on one particular day? (Or did I misunderstand and these weekly reports are what you all meant?)

It still shows you the amount for each day separately during the week.

Ohhhh I (finally) see what you mean.

Well, yes, but for instance, I see that my vitamin C and vitamin A intake is solid, my calcium is so-so ... and my iron intake sucks. Except on some days, apparently. But what a drag it would be to go and check each of those higher days... and furthermore guess what food provided more iron (I know it was liver on one particular day, lol, the amount sky rocketed).

I thought maybe there was a way to see those stats more clearly, as with the macros, where you get a better understanding and learn easier. But I guess there is not.

Ok, I'll go away now, ha.

You can change what shows along the bottom of your daily diary if there are things you particularly want to keep an eye on. For example, I know sugar and sodium aren't an issue for me, so I switched those to fiber and iron. It only seems to want to let you track five things at a time unfortunately (or I'm a numpty and can't see how to add more!).

Huh... this is brilliant!

I tracked sodium at first (think it was set by default?), but quickly realized my sodium intake is naturally low and takes care of itself. So I switched it to sugar and fiber, which by now I know how to manage just fine.

I didn't even remember that the rest of the micros were available for tracking! I guess at the time I was just concerned with learning about the more popular macros... which, in these past months, I have.

So this is a good point to start learning how my food affects the micros! Iron and calcium, it seems, are my low points.

Thanks again for spreading the knowledge "). It's appreciated. This Monday involves day one of plank challenge aaand micro awareness. Very exciting! Haha

P.S. I have a feeling the data entries will blow regarding micro information, but oh well. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I change my extra two (after the macros) around all the time, but most of them really aren't that informative just because the database information may be lacking. I gave up on calcium and iron for that reason.

I like the idea of tracking micros, but I think it would drive me batty to actually try to do it, and I actually think there may be benefits to eating certain foods that are considered "healthy" than we specifically know about in terms of the identified micros. So rather than track micros I mostly just try to eat a varied and nutritious diet with lots of veggies and figure it will sort itself out.

I see what you mean. My iron up to now is big, fat, zero, haha. Calcium's a bit better.

Luckily, I do eat a pretty varied and nutritious diet which includes tons of vegetables. So basically my sodium, fiber, sugar, vitamin c and vitamin a take care of themselves from what the reports have shown. I'll just hope the same goes for the calcium and iron, because, as you stated, the data entry is too lacking to put much consideration to it.

It'll be fun and educational to watch 'em for a while, though!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, just not always WHEN I want it. I generally eat pretty healthy, but if I want pizza or a burger, I have it and figure out how to fit it into my calories. For me, tracking calories is the only secret.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with using exercise to create a calorie deficit, but it is impossible to be in a calorie deficit and not lose weight. Lack of weight loss is evidence that a person isn't in a calories deficit.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with using exercise to create a calorie deficit, but it is impossible to be in a calorie deficit and not lose weight. Lack of weight loss is evidence that a person isn't in a calories deficit.

Wow, I'm actually agreeing with you on something-well said post and right on :)
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options

There is no minority who don't lose weight eating at a deficit. Your body doesn't just create energy from nothing. If it did, you would break the laws of physics. I can assure you that you aren't.