Does calorie counting actually work?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If you are new to the forum, may I suggest utilizing the "search" function to find the answers you are looking for? Nearly every question possible has been asked and answered. You will learn a lot by reading through the different threads.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Lost 120 pounds!! ;)

Just creeped your profile ...you rock!

Thank you.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    yes I've lost 50 pounds simply eating at a caloric deficit. thats it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    you get out what you put in. it works if you are consistent and as accurate as possible...many people are neither.
  • LaurenWilkins293
    LaurenWilkins293 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    It works until the number you have to hit to lose weight gets so low that you go insane from hunger.

No to this.

Yes to calorie counting working. But ya gotta COUNT THEM ALL! Count the ones you ate....count the ones your burned....count the ones you lost by arguing with people on the internets. Count em ALL!

Haha love it! I only found out this app had a forum a couple hours ago and look what iv started

My. Someone thinks very highly of themselves.

To answer your question, yes, calorie counting works. Being in a deficit is the only way to lose weight.

Um sorry how don't think highly of myself :/ obviously not if I'm on a fitness app!!
  • LaurenWilkins293
    Options
    Oh gosh, this is like being back at school. Think I'm out
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    just take the advice of some here OP ;)

Start logging and counting and you will see that it works.
    :)
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Try to ignore the immaturity and flippant comments. There are helpful people here :)

If you want help with anything feel free to message me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So...calorie defecit

When you first sign up to MFP you give it lots of details and a weight loss goal and it spits out a calorie figure for you to eat which will achieve that goal without purposeful exercise..then if you exercise you eat back 50% of MFP database calories

Let's say you set it to lose 1lb a week...that would be 500 calories a day defecit (eg below the level you would need to eat to maintain. Let's say that gives you 1500 calories to eat whereas you burn off 2000 so your defecit is 500

Over 7 days you would have a defecit of 3500 calories which is roughly a lb

If you choose, you could eat 1200 on 5 days then at the weekend have an extra 1500 calories to blow on your indulgences

Does that make sense?
  • GunnarHamundarson
    GunnarHamundarson Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It only works for those who are most honest with themselves. I may log that piece of cake from the BBQ last night, or I may exercise the same amount of calories and call it a wash.
  • LaurenWilkins293
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Try to ignore the immaturity and flippant comments. There are helpful people here :)

Is that an offer to promote your services? Because you can offer help in an open forum. Especially considering since we don't even know your accomplishments.

Booo boring.
  • nylo143
    nylo143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that calorie counting is in fact the only way to lose weight. Any "diet" such cabbage soup egg diet whateve is based on that principle, they just candy coat it with a fancy diet name, but in essence it's all calorie counting. As everyone here on mfp likes saying "Calories in and calories out". I've lost 18 lbs counting calories and only counting calories. I have a food scale and can eyeball if one isn't available when I'm out and about. You get so good at it that you mentally calculate your calories during each meal. It's a lifestyle change, but that doesn't mean you are deprived. If it fits into your calorie goal treats are fine. I eat everything I want in moderation. I don't drink soda 95% of the time. I don't eat fast food at all. I try to eat as natural as possible and cook a lot. No one can be perfect, but it's about how you eat most of the time, not that one bite of a brownie or spoon of Ice cream. It works ! And it gets easy after the first few weeks. I've always lost 5-10 lbs then gone up and down up down. Until I really began to take calorie counting seriously. I'm so close to my goal weight for my wedding it feels amazing. Good luck :)
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It's especially meaningful if you are actually weighing your food.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It works until the number you have to hit to lose weight gets so low that you go insane from hunger.
    Which is part of the reason it's recommended you reduce the amount of weight you lose per week the less you have to lose.
    screen.png
    I'd have to eat less than 1,000 calories a day to lose two pounds a week, which would leave me miserable and malnourished. I'd aim for 1,749 if I were still trying to lose.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Is that an offer to promote your services? Because you can offer help in an open forum. Especially considering since we don't even know your accomplishments.

Promote my "services" - as in, exchange for money? No. Forums can get cluttered and clearly insulting. I wasn't offering anything to a group so I didn't know that I had to prove my accomplishments to the "we" you are alluding to.
  • crystalbishop5059
    crystalbishop5059 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Which isn't something that happens to many.

Yeah, if you're "going insane from hunger" clearly you're doing it wrong.

Or have to learn how to distinguish true hunger from false hunger. I'm not entirely convinced that some of the people who make claims about being terribly hungry all the time are actually, truly hungry.

OR, you have a duodenal ulcer and the pain seems like hunger... Yep, happened to me when I first started. The conversation went like this.

ME: But Doc, I'm having trouble loosing weight because I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!
    DOC: What does hunger feel like?
    ME: pain in my stomach
    DOC: Are you hungry right after eating a meal?
    ME: Yes
    DOC: That's not hunger, let's look more into this...

The crappy thing about a duodenal ulcer is that it actually hurts more when there is food in your stomach vs a 'regular' ulcer that hurts more when your stomach is empty. So I was hungry when I was hungry, and 'hungry' after eating which was really ulcer pain.

Went on Prilosec and the difference was night and day. I was still hungry when my stomach was empty, but no longer hungry when my stomach was 'full'.
  • brianrteal
    brianrteal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    been doing this a week now and sticking to 1200 calories a day, and doing jillion michaels 30day shred

Yes it works on most people, but I found out that stress levels will hamper your results. I ate for 2 months straight with a 50 - 600 calorie a day deficit. I would have expected to have lost quite a bit of weight and body fat. However, though my muscles I am sure grew a bit from my daily exercising, the weight and body fat would not come off. I stuck to the calorie counting like glue and worked out daily. I went to my doctor to tell him about the issue, he said I probably had cortisol level issues from chronic stress (my wife was going through cehmo treatments for her cancer, my daughter had SJIA, and my work was hanging by a thread because I had to take care of my family). So he said to reduce my stress levels and it should begin to work. Well, 20 months later I am able to begin to lose weight and body fat because I changed jobs, and my wife and daughter are totally healthy. I have read quite a bit of research on this as well from the Mayo Institute and NIH, so I am guessing there is something to it. :^)