Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Obviously no one here has actually looked at the OP'S diary. There is more ice cream, candy bars, whip cream and popcorn than actual food. And you can seriously say this has nothing to do with weight loss. Yeah sure you could probably lose weight if you only consumed 1200 calories of ice cream and candy bars but you would also have diabetes and be dead by the time your 40 years old. The OP asked for help to curb the overcompeling desire to eat junk food. My suggestion is get it out of the house until they're ready.
    Sugar doesn't cause diabetes.

Food type has nothing to do with weight loss, though nutritional balance usually makes us feel better.

Again, has anyone bothered to look at her diary? Eating 1200 calories of crap is still crap and is not a good solution to long term weight loss.

I'm with you. I keep trying to say this in other threads and I always get bashed with "nutrition doesn't matter, all you need to do for weight loss is reduce calories." Terrible advice, IMO.

I agree!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    hgurke wrote: »
    Chocolate craving can be a sign of an iron or magnesium deficiency (if you're not just craving the sugar). It might be worthwhile to look into a multivitamin/supplements, if you haven't already.

Cravings have no connection to deficiencies in your body.

Cuz the human body won't give signals when it's malnourished? Really? A diet based on junk food usually results in many micro-nutrient deficiencies and craving and bingeing are just two very obvious symptoms of that.

I'm not in support of supplements necessarily, but I would recommend to stop eating so much junk food and replace it with nutrient dense whole foods. Good place to start.

Did someone just say sugar doesn't cause diabetes? Um, wrong in SO many cases. omg, I am so out of here, the bs is just too much.

@Akimajuktuq @whmscll Sugar consumption has no correlation with type 1 diabetes.

As far as type 2 goes, studies show that sugar intake does not play a role in the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    Ive been eating candy bars and frozen yogurt(chocolate) for the past two weeks.its putting me well over my calorie goal of 1200.any suggestions on how to stop binging like that?I've been on a weight loss journey for four and a half months,and I lost twenty lbs.I don't want to gain any back,but I've been craving chocolate a lot.any suggestions????

Took a look at your diary-first of all great job on faithfully recording what you're eating, that's a big step in the right direction! Secondly, I'm a big advocate of eating all the foods you enjoy and not cutting out things that you like, but in order to do this you have to make them fit into your calorie goals, which you're struggling with.

First make sure you're running your numbers correctly. There's lots of free online calculators that you can enter your info into to get your calorie goal. Also, as you lose weight your calories will decrease, so make sure you're re-running your info every few pounds lost (5lbs is a good marker to re-run the numbers).

Having said that-you do have a lot of wiggle room with your calories. Today for example you used up 360 calories in milk. Milk doesn't have a lot of staying power to making you feel full. Same with the cereal-around 600 calories today was used on cereal, which is notorious for not making you feel full for very long. There's nothing wrong with milk or cereal, but you want to focus on foods that will keep you feeling fuller longer, while still keeping you within your calorie goals. When that happens, you'll have more room for things like chocolate :)

Also, may I ask what all the syrup was for today? Are you adding this to coffee or something? 300 calories today went towards it, and it's another thing that's not going to do you any favors for feeling full.

At the end of the day weight loss comes down to calories in math. But one of the tricks to making it easier, is to concentrate on foods that will keep you feeling satisfied longer. There are no 'good' or 'bad' foods, but foods definitely have different satiety levels and it's important to have a good mix in order to keep you on track, while still enjoying the foods you like :)

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread has everything, even mashed bananas!! It's like all the derp begat more derp upon derp, and got harvested by the derp truck. Where's my bingo card?!
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    Chocolate craving can be a sign of an iron or magnesium deficiency (if you're not just craving the sugar). It might be worthwhile to look into a multivitamin/supplements, if you haven't already.

Cuz the human body won't give signals when it's malnourished? Really? A diet based on junk food usually results in many micro-nutrient deficiencies and craving and bingeing are just two very obvious symptoms of that.

I'm not in support of supplements necessarily, but I would recommend to stop eating so much junk food and replace it with nutrient dense whole foods. Good place to start.

Did someone just say sugar doesn't cause diabetes? Um, wrong in SO many cases. omg, I am so out of here, the bs is just too much.

@Akimajuktuq @whmscll Sugar consumption has no correlation with type 1 diabetes.

As far as type 2 goes, studies show that sugar intake does not play a role in the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Really? I don't believe that. Care to share these studies?

If sugar played no role in developing diabetes, doctors would not advise everybody whose glucose levels are higher than normal (not JUST people who already have diabetes!) to eat less sugar.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

That was my favorite. This thread has been the most entertaining one all day. I'd love for some researcher to follow some of the people on here and see how many of them end up with diabetes and heart disease in 10 years.

I'm one of 'those people' and I actually got my glucose number out of the pre-diabetic range and back into the normal range just by focusing on CICO and eating at a calorie deficit. So it actually worked pretty well for me ;) I've also been successfully maintaining for over two years now, still focusing on CICO. Blood panels are excellent, I'm very low risk for heart disease (doctor's words, not mine), blood pressure is spot on, no health problems at all, not on any medication, have a bmi in the 19 range and I have a bf % in the the 22 percent area. I don't track sugar, but I'm not afraid of it and I eat it every day without any issues (and I'm not talking about the kind in fruit).
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm confused about why there's so much debate here.

Simple answer: we all crave things and want to eat over our calorie limits otherwise we wouldn't all be FAT. If you want to lose weight, don't give into the cravings. Stay within your limits. That's it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

If sugar played no role in developing diabetes, doctors would not advise everybody whose glucose levels are higher than normal (not JUST people who already have diabetes!) to eat less sugar.

"In our large cohort of 38,480 initially healthy postmenopausal women followed for an average of 6 years, we accrued 918 incident cases of type 2 diabetes and found no definitive influence of sugar intake on the risk of developing type 2 diabetes."

Source: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/4/1008.full

"Although no one would take issue that we are indeed in the midst of an obesity and diabetes epidemic, placing the blame on sugar consumption lacks persuasive evidence and is misguided. Although calories from sugar (sucrose, fructose, or HFCS in any form—solid or liquid) have been shown to increase weight in a hypercaloric diet and decrease weight in a hypocaloric diet, when consumption is corrected for energy intake, sugar has no effect on body weight. Finally, there is no direct evidence that sugar itself, in liquid or solid form, causes an increase in appetite, decreases satiety, or causes diabetes."

Source: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/37/4/957.full

FYI: I've never told a patient with a high fasting BG or A1c to eat less sugar. Neither has any MD I've worked with. We tell them to lose weight and cut out simple carbohydrates because of the effect they have on BG. We then send them to a registered dietitian who makes a meal plan (which by the way, still has sugar).
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Don't forget the converse can also be true. Depending on the same diabetic's situation, they could be asked to drink a cup of orange juice, right?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wow, what did I walk into here!?
    OP, there is nothing wrong with some treats, in moderation.
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Wow this thread has everything, even mashed bananas!! It's like all the derp begat more derp upon derp, and got harvested by the derp truck. Where's my bingo card?!

qdkinob58rc4.jpeg
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options

Actually, when my glucose number creeped up into the pre-diabetic range my doctor told me to lose weight and said absolutely nothing about cutting back on sugar. I followed his advice, only focused on CICO/eating at a calorie deficit, and I lost the weight, improved my blood panels across the board and got my glucose number back down into the normal range, where it's stayed for over two years now. I have never tracked my sugar intake and I'm no longer a pre-diabetic. I am however almost 60lbs lighter now than what I used to be :)
  • MoiAussi93
    edited May 2015
    Options

"In our large cohort of 38,480 initially healthy postmenopausal women followed for an average of 6 years, we accrued 918 incident cases of type 2 diabetes and found no definitive influence of sugar intake on the risk of developing type 2 diabetes."

"Although no one would take issue that we are indeed in the midst of an obesity and diabetes epidemic, placing the blame on sugar consumption lacks persuasive evidence and is misguided. Although calories from sugar (sucrose, fructose, or HFCS in any form—solid or liquid) have been shown to increase weight in a hypercaloric diet and decrease weight in a hypocaloric diet, when consumption is corrected for energy intake, sugar has no effect on body weight. Finally, there is no direct evidence that sugar itself, in liquid or solid form, causes an increase in appetite, decreases satiety, or causes diabetes."

First of all, the quote you chose to highlight just states "no DEFINITIVE influence"...basically, their study couldn't actually prove anything one way or the other. It certainly does not prove there is no link.

Second, this is based on questionnaires given in a study whose purpose was to study something entirely different...aspirin and vitamin E's role in preventing cardiovascular disease. How accurate do you think a questionnaire asking how often you ate various foods over the prior year is? Most people can't even remember what they ate yesterday. Thanks, but I think the advice my own doctor gave me is much more relevant and reliable than this.

The second link isn't even a study...just an opinion piece rebutting another article that says sugar DOES play a role. I notice you didn't link THAT article. LOL!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited May 2015
    Options

First of all, the quote you chose to highlight just states "no DEFINITIVE influence"...basically, their study couldn't actually prove anything one way or the other. It certainly does not prove there is no link.

Second, this is based on questionnaires given in a study whose purpose was to study something entirely different...aspirin and vitamin E's role in preventing cardiovascular disease. How accurate do you think a questionnaire asking how often you ate various foods over the prior year is? Most people can't even remember what they ate yesterday. Thanks, but I think the advice my own doctor gave me is much more relevant and reliable than this.

The second link isn't even a study...just an opinion piece rebutting another article that says sugar DOES play a role. I notice you didn't link THAT article. LOL!

And honey, it certainly doesn't prove there is a link.

Right on the American Diabetes Associations website: "Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes." It is not as simple as eating too much sugar. Diabetes is multifactorial, caused by genetics and a number of lifestyle choices.

Based on the stuff you spew in the forums, I'm sure your 'doctor' is a homeopathic quack who thinks vaccines cause autism and detoxes cleanse the body of toxins.

• MoiAussi93
    Options

And honey, it certainly doesn't prove there is a link.

Right on the American Diabetes Associations website: "Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes." It is not as simple as eating too much sugar. Diabetes is multifactorial, caused by genetics and a number of lifestyle choices.

Based on the stuff you spew in the forums, I'm sure your 'doctor' is a homeopathic quack who thinks vaccines cause autism and detoxes cleanse the body of toxins.

Great, but it doesn't prove the statement you made earlier that there is no link. So I asked for proof, and you gave links that prove nothing about anything.

The bottom line is it has not been proven exactly what causes diabetes. I believe it is a combination of factors and that diet absolutely plays a role in most cases...thus the advice to eat less simple carbs like sugar.

Quack? Uh, no. My personal physician is a cardiologist by training. My best friend is board certified in internal medicine. And my college roommate's husband...who i have discussed this with extensively... is a Harvard trained endocrinologist. All agree that sugar most likely plays a role.

Now if you are done spewing insults for no obvious reason, I hope that satisfies your curiosity.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Diabetes has everything to do with insulin production/absorption and nothing to do with dietary sugar. Sure, if sugar is making you exceed calories and put on weight, it puts you at a risk for diabetes, but...the sugar isn't the problem, the excess weight is.