Eat a big breakfast.. .

Options

Replies

• christybrumett622
    christybrumett622 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I full agree that I titled the thread incorrectly but if you read it before committing you might get it. I think there are a lot of people on here who just want to comment and be ugly. Not even worried about health. I've also been hit on by 2 different men in personal messages yesterday alone. This just makes me wonder why I use the Internet. But I have enjoyed the support
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I full agree that I titled the thread incorrectly but if you read it before committing you might get it. I think there are a lot of people on here who just want to comment and be ugly. Not even worried about health. I've also been hit on by 2 different men in personal messages yesterday alone. This just makes me wonder why I use the Internet. But I have enjoyed the support

Constantly replying just to call people here rude is also rude, imo.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I full agree that I titled the thread incorrectly

Stop right there. Seriously. A little humility goes a long way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The problem is that a lot of this kind of stuff gets thrown out there as if it is some kind of fact when in reality, a lot of this kind of stuff (don't eat after 6, eat 6 times per day, workout fasted, etc) is anecdotal at best in RE to benefits. Also, most of these kind of tactics are simply that...they are tactics to help you achieve an energy deficit. An energy deficit is all that is necessary to lose weight, but this kind of stuff gets thrown out there as "necessary" for losing weight and muddies the already muddy waters for noobs.

Weight loss is very simple and it's best to just KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    sometimes I eat breakfast for dinner

WHAT THEN
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

WHAT THEN

YOU REBEL YOU! Doing that causes time to reverse and we all become dinosaurs!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

WHAT THEN

You're gonna die.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    *kitten* just got real
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Positivity p!sses me off

Just sayin'...it's the most useless of all sentiments IMHO

I mean what does it achieve? A little cynicism gives you a sense of reality; a touch of negativity spurs you on to try harder but positivity for positivity's sake...well that just makes one's teeth itch

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi, you will find a fair bit of sarcasm on these boards. I don't think your intention was to tell people what to do but it came across that way as your post said "eat a big breakfast" rather than say "is it a good idea to eat a big breakfast?" Or "who else loves a big breakfast and does it work for you?".

That's what I was thinking. Without some "discussion igniter" as a part of the post, the post comes across as more directive because the article it links to is telling people what to do.

Personally, I find the article leaves some gaps, such as how "overweight" were these individuals? How active were they? Did eating more for breakfast possibly leave them feeling more energized to burn calories during the day and that extra encouragement is what helped, rather than simply the amount of calories eaten at a specific time? (I've been a regular at the gym since 2003, and it's still harder for me to get the focus and energy to go if my stomach's grumbling.)

Breakfast can be sizeable for me, but that's usually because I count "all food eaten before lunchtime, to include snacks" as "breakfast" in my planning. (I reserve the "snacks" category for what I munch on after I get back home after work.) Even then, for me, half of my calories is about 1500-1700, which tends to be a lot to try and get in before lunch.

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Not that everyone was rude. Debating the topic is a good thing. ... Just don't see how I can be attached and told I'm telling people what to do and I'm a Newby when all I did was shared a article

Choose your words more carefully then. Your post title told people what to do. That's telling people what to do. Words mean things. Use them the way you mean them and you won't be misunderstood. And if you took the time to read and lurk for a while before posting links willy-nilly, you'd see that when people genuinely want a "debate" they post a little more about themselves, where they're coming from, if they have any credentials (and most people don't, and that's perfectly fine). Not just a directive headline of what to do and a link to an outside site. Put your own skin in the game.

Finally, please learn what the abuse flag is for. Hint: it's not for getting upset that someone posted that they didn't like your post. You can be disciplined by the moderators for abusing the abuse flag that way if you make a habit of it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around with what works for me so that I can get back to where I was happiest. I need a big breakfast. I've been having around 600-900 calories for breakfast (pancakes/belgian waffles w/ toppings, 6 egg whites, sausage, bacon, fruit) and that has done wonders for me. I've been able to stay full until lunch (huge for me since I was always starving prior) and am back on track and feeling great. Each person has to find what works best for them. (I also have a lot more calories to play with than others, so YMMV)
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Positivity p!sses me off

I mean what does it achieve? A little cynicism gives you a sense of reality; a touch of negativity spurs you on to try harder but positivity for positivity's sake...well that just makes one's teeth itch

This is the most British sentiment ever hahaha :p
  • sympha01
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Positivity p!sses me off

This is the most British sentiment ever hahaha :p

:) I agree with rabbitjb. Positivity for positivity's sake leads to unconstructive groupthink and gets us nowhere fast.

There's a reason "critical thinking" is considered a skill. The world needs critical thinking. The diet and fitness world needs it especially.
  • christybrumett622
    christybrumett622 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Not that everyone was rude. Debating the topic is a good thing. ... Just don't see how I can be attached and told I'm telling people what to do and I'm a Newby when all I did was shared a article

Choose your words more carefully then. Your post title told people what to do. That's telling people what to do. Words mean things. Use them the way you mean them and you won't be misunderstood. And if you took the time to read and lurk for a while before posting links willy-nilly, you'd see that when people genuinely want a "debate" they post a little more about themselves, where they're coming from, if they have any credentials (and most people don't, and that's perfectly fine). Not just a directive headline of what to do and a link to an outside site. Put your own skin in the game.

Finally, please learn what the abuse flag is for. Hint: it's not for getting upset that someone posted that they didn't like your post. You can be disciplined by the moderators for abusing the abuse flag that way if you make a habit of it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points?

You can stop commenting now... Find something better to do please
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I assume this thread went the MFP way. :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for your comments, the discussion about the article, and the positive comments to me personally. But to the rude people...you must have cheerios for breakfast and someone pissed in then. Stay positive and have a healthy happy life people. That's what this is all about.

sorry but being critical of pseudoscience garbage is not being "negative," it is just providing actual facts to newbies that might read this and think a massive breakfast is going to cause weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    This thread needs more bacon
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    jobs-hope-cash-bacon.jpg
  • sympha01
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »

You can stop commenting now... Find something better to do please

There you go again, telling people what to do lol. Maybe you can stop reading this thread, as it's only giving you sadz because it didn't go the way you thought it should.

Or don't. DO WHAT YOU WANNA DO lady.
This discussion has been closed.