Eat a big breakfast.. .

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    This thread is a candidate for being closed. No useful discussion being made anymore.

correction, this thread should of never been created.

Or perhaps you should have (not of) never read it since you weren't interested in the subject matter.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    welcome to the internet

OP shared some info that doesn't fly here, where science rules

Yes, but not everyone on the internet is a perpetual jerk, completely incapable of discussing facts and reality within the context of civil discourse. It's like the simplest of threads here derail into crap, because people can't resist the urge to be rude. It's like, Jesus Christ, does dieting make everyone here crabby or what? I get it, eating a big breakfast isn't some magical cure-all to obesity, but there is a way to discuss that without making someone feel like a moron. Someone once told Benjamin Franklin that he was a brilliant man, with many right ideas, but it was unfortunate that every time he presented his ideas and opinions he couldn't do it without making the other person feel stupid. Delivery is crucial.

And to stay on-topic, I don't eat a big breakfast, because I'm not hungry in the morning.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    jq0vbkiuphpn.gif

• mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    donna38104 wrote: »
    Not telling anyone what to do. We are all adults here. I just thought it was interesting and shared. Didn't expect people to be so rude. I won't be sharing again....
    :/ I know ! I felt the same way when I starting reading some of the comments ! I'm sorry !

I hardly ever post anymore because of the way people will talk to you on here. People get so powerful on a computer. I also don't think you were telling anyone that they had to eat a big breakfast. You were just sharing. I eat breakfast every single morning. Not a big one though.

yes, op was just "sharing," and everyone else "shared" but for some reason the ones with an opposite share opinion are trolls, but OP posting broscience is totally legit. Explain to me how that works..?

to the bolded part, so you are not losing weight then, right?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with differing opinions on topics, that's how we can keep the conversation going usually. & not everyone who has a different opinion is rude by any means. I just don't like when I see someone respond to a post they disagree with by telling the OP something like you're too new here to post stuff like that or by leaving comments that make fun of or mock the OP. Again... Not everyone with an opposite opinion is rude. Just some. & I know I know.. It's the Internet, get a back bone, etc etc. I guess it's just sad for me to try & understand why any decent person would directly mock another person for practically no reason. To answer your last question. I am losing weight. 41lbs so far. I actually already hit goal but I set a new one. & for the record I completely disagree with the OP... Big breakfast, small breakfast, no breakfast, who cares. CICO all the way :smile:

• Jaxxie1181
    Options

& I know I know.. It's the Internet, get a back bone, etc etc. I guess it's just sad for me to try & understand why any decent person would directly mock another person for practically no reason.

That's my thing. The whole, "grow a spine" or "this is the internet" or "we're not going to sugarcoat it" arguments don't fly when they're used to defend being a bully to someone who makes an honest mistake. If someone says something nasty or they're trolling or they're outright hostile from the get-go, that's one thing; however, I've seen innocent posts being responded to with downright nasty and snide comments that are just totally unnecessary, and it makes these so-called "support forums", well...less than supportive.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Exactly!
  • FitForL1fe
    edited May 2015
    Options
    so new people show up with "advice" that could end up throwing other newbs off track. just let them spew their advice anyway? no thx

if they can take their lumps and stick around then they might learn something and end up with actual good advice to give others in the future.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This just in, ladies and gentlemen:
    We are currently witnessing yet another train wreck thread here in the MFP forums, please stay tuned for cat gifs and impending thread shutdown.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled f***ery.....

*edited for grammar fail*
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »

& I know I know.. It's the Internet, get a back bone, etc etc. I guess it's just sad for me to try & understand why any decent person would directly mock another person for practically no reason.

That's my thing. The whole, "grow a spine" or "this is the internet" or "we're not going to sugarcoat it" arguments don't fly when they're used to defend being a bully to someone who makes an honest mistake. If someone says something nasty or they're trolling or they're outright hostile from the get-go, that's one thing; however, I've seen innocent posts being responded to with downright nasty and snide comments that are just totally unnecessary, and it makes these so-called "support forums", well...less than supportive.

Your point would be much more compelling if the OP had made one single "honest mistake" and received heaps of personal "bullying" in response. In this case, most of the behavior you seem to find so objectionable was actually in response to the OP's very personal attacks and attempts at retribution on people who disagreed with or otherwise objected to her initial post. The OP is hardly a poor little innocent victim here who never asked for any of this.

Did this thread go to the bad place? Oh yeah. But really, it couldn't have happened to a better OP.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »

Your point would be much more compelling if the OP had made one single "honest mistake" and received heaps of personal "bullying" in response. In this case, most of the behavior you seem to find so objectionable was actually in response to the OP's very personal attacks and attempts at retribution on people who disagreed with or otherwise objected to her initial post. The OP is hardly a poor little innocent victim here who never asked for any of this.

Did this thread go to the bad place? Oh yeah. But really, it couldn't have happened to a better OP.

Not everyone has a thick skin. Being able to handle being attacked on a message forum needn't be some prerequisite to internet usage. While we can't 100% discern tone via the written word we can discern what is a personal attack and not everyone has the fortitude to withstand being attacked. Did the OP get snippy in return? Yes, but maybe she was hurt or angered by some of the mocking and rude posts in response to the article she posted. This isn't some isolated incident. I have seen people post only their OP and it's met with mockery, ridicule, and rude comments even when they never come back and reply. It's a shame.

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Not everyone has a thick skin. Being able to handle being attacked on a message forum needn't be some prerequisite to internet usage. While we can't 100% discern tone via the written word we can discern what is a personal attack and not everyone has the fortitude to withstand being attacked. Did the OP get snippy in return? Yes, but maybe she was hurt or angered by some of the mocking and rude posts in response to the article she posted. This isn't some isolated incident. I have seen people post only their OP and it's met with mockery, ridicule, and rude comments even when they never come back and reply. It's a shame.

Well, again, the same could be said about people's reactions to the OP's hostility. Not everyone wants to be accused of having pissed-in cornflakes or whatever. Because let's be clear -- maybe I'm wrong, but I think the OP's hurt feelings were more about how her little offered gem of wisdom was received unfavorably than it was about the tone in which many responses were put.

And sure, it's a shame when the people driven away are people who realistically have the potential to make positive contributions to the community. Based not on the poor quality of her original advice but rather on her poor communications skills and poor judgement in how she dealt with criticism and apparent tendency toward hitting back with petty vindictiveness, I doubt the OP qualifies for that in this particular case. If mockery was ever called for, this was a good application of it.

ETA: On the note of not everyone having a thick skin, I can speak only for myself. But if you ever want to push my buttons, ordering me to stop posting is a fantastic way to keep me engaged in the conversation, and, ahem, not in a good way.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

Well, again, the same could be said about people's reactions to the OP's hostility. Not everyone wants to be accused of having pissed-in cornflakes or whatever. Because let's be clear -- maybe I'm wrong, but I think the OP's hurt feelings were more about how her little offered gem of wisdom was received unfavorably than it was about the tone in which many responses were put.

And sure, it's a shame when the people driven away are people who realistically have the potential to make positive contributions to the community. Based not on the poor quality of her original advice but rather on her poor communications skills and poor judgement in how she dealt with criticism and apparent tendency toward hitting back with petty vindictiveness, I doubt the OP qualifies for that in this particular case. If mockery was ever called for, this was a good application of it.

ETA: On the note of not everyone having a thick skin, I can speak only for myself. But if you ever want to push my buttons, ordering me to stop posting is a fantastic way to keep me engaged in the conversation, and, ahem, not in a good way.

lol applause.gif
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    so new people show up with "advice" that could end up throwing other newbs off track. just let them spew their advice anyway? no thx

if they can take their lumps and stick around then they might learn something and end up with actual good advice to give others in the future.

If you feel "advice" violates Community Guidelines rule 3, why don't you flag it instead of giving the new poster "their lumps?"

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

The bullying tone is definitely not supportive. Oh, and it violates rule 1.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Is there some alternate definition of "attacking", "mockery", and "rudeness" that is able to be referenced somewhere? Like how there's an urban dictionary with slang terms, is there an Internet forum dictionary where words have different meanings and tone can be inferred where it doesn't exist?

Whenever we have one of these posts where either the OP or the white knighters complain about how they were attacked and mocked with the rude responses from the posters I always go back and reread the entire thread thinking I must have just missed a couple of posts. I'm just not seeing it. As others have said, the rudest responses in here were from the OP...
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    ok everyone, let's break it up, the Tone Police are here, party's over.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

This is what burns me. There is nothing in this thread that could throw a newbie off. You guys have an awful high opinion of yourselves. I've learned a lot in these threads, but some of the arrogance floors me. You can come in and say meal timing doesn't matter, which I completely agree with. But you don't need the rest. If it makes you feel scientific and smart, go for it, because it doesn't affect me. But I hate to see the affect it has on others.

And I realize that some of you are tired of dealing with the same questions and topics all the time. But if you've gotten to the point where you have to belittle, maybe you should take a friggin break.

• daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If you feel "advice" violates Community Guidelines rule 3, why don't you flag it instead of giving the new poster "their lumps?"

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

The bullying tone is definitely not supportive. Oh, and it violates rule 1.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Sometimes advice can be bad without violating the community guidelines. Luckily, MFP has a lot of regular members who are quick to point out such cases. We can't get all flag happy when someone posts something silly/unnecessary. You have to think about all of the lurkers, though.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

This is what burns me. There is nothing in this thread that could throw a newbie off. You guys have an awful high opinion of yourselves. I've learned a lot in these threads, but some of the arrogance floors me. You can come in and say meal timing doesn't matter, which I completely agree with. But you don't need the rest. If it makes you feel scientific and smart, go for it, because it doesn't affect me. But I hate to see the affect it has on others.

And I realize that some of you are tired of dealing with the same questions and topics all the time. But if you've gotten to the point where you have to belittle, maybe you should take a friggin break.

latest?cb=20120309043943
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Carol_ wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing the article! :) I plan on reading it as soon as I get my clothes out of the dryer. Be right back.

You're my new favorite member here! So adorable... expect a friend request.

This discussion has been closed.