Do you get tired of eating?

13

Replies

  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I've been lifting for just over 5 months but just decided to take a leap of faith and bulk. I'll admit, I'm terrified of screwing this up. Having been someone who has always tried to lose weight and eat in a deficit I am already finding it challenging to eat enough healthy food to reach a much higher calorie goal. I don't eat dairy so ice cream, whole milk and cheese, yogurt etc. are out of the question. I totally get the idea of avocados and peanut butter but they are high in fat and I'm set at 45% carbs/35% protein/20% fat right now (just starting the bulking process this week). Is that an unreasonably low expectation on fat intake in order to reach my higher calorie goal?
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 511 Member
    joeboland wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    joeboland wrote: »
    I was on a 3300-calorie cycle a little bit ago, and after making plenty of mistakes (supplementing the calories via packs of Oreos, gummy candies, chips, etc.), the best way I found was to supplement my whole foods by "drinking" my calories, ie. whole-fruit smoothies, shakes, etc. I found they didn't make me feel bloated and sick. Just don't go off the rails by stuffing yourself with empty calories just for the sake of hitting your target.

    I feel to see how that would be a mistake if you have met your macro and micro needs....

    I probably should have said that in my personal experience, those were big mistakes: I frequently felt bloated and sick - I didn't feel satisfied, I just felt...full - and all that refined sugar and near-bipolar insulin reaction played all kinds of hell with me (headaches, general soreness, dehydration, etc.). I just felt like garbage all the time.

    I feel more or less the same as you. For a short while to reach my daily calorie level, I was doing that but I also felt too bloated and uncomfortable. Like you, I'm going down the route of "drinking" my calories if needs be. It is a lot easier as well.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    I have grudgingly accepted the fact that there will be fat gain and I fully anticipate a cut later on. I agree it will not be possible to eat 100% clean. I just want to do this right and it's a completely foreign concept to me. Being female the focus all my adult life has been to get lighter, get smaller. It wasn't until recently that it occurred to me that I was not doing myself any favors with that mentality. Now I am working towards stronger and leaner, whatever it takes...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,148 Member
    cbills65 wrote: »
    I have grudgingly accepted the fact that there will be fat gain and I fully anticipate a cut later on. I agree it will not be possible to eat 100% clean. I just want to do this right and it's a completely foreign concept to me. Being female the focus all my adult life has been to get lighter, get smaller. It wasn't until recently that it occurred to me that I was not doing myself any favors with that mentality. Now I am working towards stronger and leaner, whatever it takes...

    you need to accept the fact that you are going to gain fat. If you gain ten pound then it is probably gong to be a 1:1 ratio of fat to muscle, so that means five pounds of fat and five pounds of muscle. When you are down with your bulk and go back to cutting, you will find that the fat comes off faster, so I would say don't get discouraged and keep eating and lifting until you hit your goal weight.

    curious, why can't you eat dairy? Food allergy???
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Agreed and that makes perfect sense to me. I don't love the idea of fat gain but it's part of the deal. It seems like a small price to pay for the muscle gain and like you said, a cut later will take care of it.

    No allergies. Just unfavorable digestive implications from dairy consumption. I don't know if it is lactose intolerance or just the fact that when I stopped eating dairy altogether (last fall), my body doesn't handle the reintroduction well. That's the kinder, gentler way of saying, I'd rather not paint the walls of the bathroom because I had some cheddar cheese on my omlet. Forgive me. That was just so very wrong. I'm sorry for that. :#
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,589 Member
    cbills65 wrote: »
    I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I've been lifting for just over 5 months but just decided to take a leap of faith and bulk. I'll admit, I'm terrified of screwing this up. Having been someone who has always tried to lose weight and eat in a deficit I am already finding it challenging to eat enough healthy food to reach a much higher calorie goal. I don't eat dairy so ice cream, whole milk and cheese, yogurt etc. are out of the question. I totally get the idea of avocados and peanut butter but they are high in fat and I'm set at 45% carbs/35% protein/20% fat right now (just starting the bulking process this week). Is that an unreasonably low expectation on fat intake in order to reach my higher calorie goal?

    That seems about right. I'm at 45%carb/30%protein/25%fat. I don't think it is possible to have a 100% "clean" bulk without driving yourself insane. You have to accept that there will be some fat gain. I'm trying to wrap my head around that concept as well. Try to meet your macros, but do what you need to do to create a slight calorie surplus or you won't gain.

    Are you confusing "clean" eating (whatever that is) with clean bulking? Clean bulk is based on caloric surplus only. If you have a large surplus you will have a dirty bulk (i.e. more fat gain) and if you have a smaller surplus you will have a clean bulk (i.e. less fat gain).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,148 Member
    cbills65 wrote: »
    Agreed and that makes perfect sense to me. I don't love the idea of fat gain but it's part of the deal. It seems like a small price to pay for the muscle gain and like you said, a cut later will take care of it.

    No allergies. Just unfavorable digestive implications from dairy consumption. I don't know if it is lactose intolerance or just the fact that when I stopped eating dairy altogether (last fall), my body doesn't handle the reintroduction well. That's the kinder, gentler way of saying, I'd rather not paint the walls of the bathroom because I had some cheddar cheese on my omlet. Forgive me. That was just so very wrong. I'm sorry for that. :#

    ahhh I see..

    well you can always have cookies instead of ice cream to fill in some of your calories...:)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,325 Member
    cbills65 wrote: »
    I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I've been lifting for just over 5 months but just decided to take a leap of faith and bulk. I'll admit, I'm terrified of screwing this up. Having been someone who has always tried to lose weight and eat in a deficit I am already finding it challenging to eat enough healthy food to reach a much higher calorie goal. I don't eat dairy so ice cream, whole milk and cheese, yogurt etc. are out of the question. I totally get the idea of avocados and peanut butter but they are high in fat and I'm set at 45% carbs/35% protein/20% fat right now (just starting the bulking process this week). Is that an unreasonably low expectation on fat intake in order to reach my higher calorie goal?

    That seems about right. I'm at 45%carb/30%protein/25%fat. I don't think it is possible to have a 100% "clean" bulk without driving yourself insane. You have to accept that there will be some fat gain. I'm trying to wrap my head around that concept as well. Try to meet your macros, but do what you need to do to create a slight calorie surplus or you won't gain.

    Are you confusing "clean" eating (whatever that is) with clean bulking? Clean bulk is based on caloric surplus only. If you have a large surplus you will have a dirty bulk (i.e. more fat gain) and if you have a smaller surplus you will have a clean bulk (i.e. less fat gain).

    I think that's why he put "clean" to differentiate it. Could be wrong.

    I eat 3600 a day to maintain so yea, I know the feeling on being full all the time. Throw in about 15-20% treats like ice cream and cookies to help.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    I love protein shakes and bars so that should help boost my calories as well. I appreciate the advice and tips, gentlemen.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,562 Member
    edited May 2015
    1. I never get tired of eating. I don't know the meaning of those words.
    2. I'm always hungry, so I never eat while satiated.
    3. I start eating at 4:30AM and finish around 8:00PM; I typically eat 6-7 times per day whether I'm cutting or maintaining.
    4. I have no sympathy for you, because food is good and you're crazy. I'd love to be on bulking calories. Getting to the end of the day and still having 500 calories? Yeah, in my dreams.
    5. Did I mention that food is good?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,589 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    cbills65 wrote: »
    I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I've been lifting for just over 5 months but just decided to take a leap of faith and bulk. I'll admit, I'm terrified of screwing this up. Having been someone who has always tried to lose weight and eat in a deficit I am already finding it challenging to eat enough healthy food to reach a much higher calorie goal. I don't eat dairy so ice cream, whole milk and cheese, yogurt etc. are out of the question. I totally get the idea of avocados and peanut butter but they are high in fat and I'm set at 45% carbs/35% protein/20% fat right now (just starting the bulking process this week). Is that an unreasonably low expectation on fat intake in order to reach my higher calorie goal?

    That seems about right. I'm at 45%carb/30%protein/25%fat. I don't think it is possible to have a 100% "clean" bulk without driving yourself insane. You have to accept that there will be some fat gain. I'm trying to wrap my head around that concept as well. Try to meet your macros, but do what you need to do to create a slight calorie surplus or you won't gain.

    Are you confusing "clean" eating (whatever that is) with clean bulking? Clean bulk is based on caloric surplus only. If you have a large surplus you will have a dirty bulk (i.e. more fat gain) and if you have a smaller surplus you will have a clean bulk (i.e. less fat gain).

    I think that's why he put "clean" to differentiate it. Could be wrong.

    I eat 3600 a day to maintain so yea, I know the feeling on being full all the time. Throw in about 15-20% treats like ice cream and cookies to help.

    I wasn't sure either if that's what he meant but since it gets confused so much thought I would clarify this, just in case.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,556 Member
    At 9:22pm last night I found myself needing another 500 cals to meet my daily quota (and that's only to gain 1 lb/week).

    I try to eat every 2 hours, usually 5-6 meals, and it feels like a full-time job plus overtime. It's real life stuff.

    It's one thing to get 1,000 cals from a take-out, but preparing healthy food at home and trying to gain weight is almost insanity. There's so much more volume. I'll be plowing through a meal and be like, "how is this only 450 calories? bro lol".

    How many meals do you eat? How often do you eat?

    Do you ever sit down to eat but you're already satiated to begin with? lol




    Since I've pretty much always struggled to LOSE weight...
    NUPE.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    For me, it's not so much the eating that's tiring as the prep.

    In some ways, I envy my mom because she can come up with a week's menu while walking through the store. But when I'm looking at trying to take in between 3000 and 4000 calories a day, I can't effectively do that. So I end up spending a good hour or more (depending on what cookbooks I feel like using) planning my week in order to rely as little as possible on pre-made / processed foods.


    In answer to your questions: I generally have three "meals" in a day, but my breakfast could be considered to be more along the lines of a series of snacks I eat between getting up and lunch. On top of that, I usually have something on-hand to snack on in the evenings.

    I've only rarely eaten when I was already satiated, but I have occasionally had to rummage through the kitchen before bed to get close to my goal. Usually, that happens on a workout day where my schedule meant I didn't have much time to eat until the afternoon / evening and the deficit that would come from not getting more food down was too large for my comfort. This is usually why I keep some frozen, microwavable hamburgers on hand. They tend to have a good number of calories that I can eat quickly without feeling too stuffed.

  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,659 Member
    'Clean' is a ridiculous theory. The body cannot distinguish between what "quality" or how dirty a carbohydrate is. If you struggle to eat calories from "healthy" food then maybe increase other foods in your diet. Ice cream for carbohydrates, peanut butter for fats. My bulking calories last year were 4500+ and there is no way I could have consumed that in chicken and rice
  • brante02
    brante02 Posts: 2 Member
    This is EXACTLY how I feel. I was literally just about to make my own post about this when I came across this discussion. It's 9pm and I'm falling asleep while trying to mow down a chicken breast and avacado (despite feeling full) because I'm still nowhere near my protein/calorie goal for the day. I feel like all I do is eat (thank God I have an office job now where I can eat at my desk while I work)..and if I actually do hit my goals, its just back to square one in the morning. Its so exhausting!! II were to fill up on fatty or sugary carbs it would be no problem but I need to hit my macros before I indulge in the easy cals like peanut butter or sugary carbs!

    People who are on weight-loss (most women) journeys never understand my struggle. "Oh poor you, you get to eat non-stop and not gain weight"...that IS the struggle! The struggle is so real. Thanks for this post, at least I know I'm not alone!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 511 Member
    brante02 wrote: »
    This is EXACTLY how I feel. I was literally just about to make my own post about this when I came across this discussion. It's 9pm and I'm falling asleep while trying to mow down a chicken breast and avacado (despite feeling full) because I'm still nowhere near my protein/calorie goal for the day. I feel like all I do is eat (thank God I have an office job now where I can eat at my desk while I work)..and if I actually do hit my goals, its just back to square one in the morning. Its so exhausting!! II were to fill up on fatty or sugary carbs it would be no problem but I need to hit my macros before I indulge in the easy cals like peanut butter or sugary carbs!

    People who are on weight-loss (most women) journeys never understand my struggle. "Oh poor you, you get to eat non-stop and not gain weight"...that IS the struggle! The struggle is so real. Thanks for this post, at least I know I'm not alone!

    Pre log the day as it will make it easier. You will know what you have to eat, when and you wont be full. This is what I do. I plan most days in advance. Makes it easier.
  • 111katie111
    111katie111 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm 5'3" and 89lb. It feels like a workout to eat haha, basically force myself. My problem is remembering to eat because I have a small appetite. Any tips on gaining weight would be good.