Diet Pills

Options

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I week ago I started taking diet pills. I've been taking the 1234 green bean coffee bean by Creative Bioscience. In a week, I've lost 3 pounds. I've taken diet pills in the past and have had success. I was wondering who else has taken diet pills. Have you had success with them? Which ones have you tried? Which diet pills have worked the best for you?

You're taking a green coffee bean extract, which tends to have about 50 mg caffeine / pill. The other stuff in the pill is herbal hoodoo, with probably no net active effect. Two pills ~ 100 mg caffeine. A tall cup of Starbucks Pike Place is ~260 mg.

Creative Bioscience is selling a bottle of 60 pills for 32.95, or ~$1.09/dose. To get the same dose as the brewed coffee, that's ~$2.86. You can get a Tall Pike at Starbucks for ~$1.50.

It's your money, it's up to you how you want to flush it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I still recommend cocaine. Once you're hooked, you won't have that yo-yo problem with your weight anymore.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had a friend who took diet pills in an attempt to lose weight quickly. As a result, she ended up having heart palpitations.

Any diet pill that is actually "doing something" that you couldn't get through something like coffee is probably dangerous.
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi OP....I have tried every gimmick out there, from what you are taking to prescription drugs. You have to find your own way without them because think about when you are not taking them anymore? You dont have anything to suppress your appetite anymore. You need to learn to eat food that fills you up and keeps you full. I have a huge appetite and always have. It took me YEARS to figure out when I was full. You want to spend some money spend it on the 21 day fix. That teaches perfect portion control. I think everyone can benefit from learning this. Good luck but ditch the pillls girlfriend!!!!!
  • Lablady22
    Lablady22 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    *sigh* I still recommend cocaine. Once you're hooked, you won't have that yo-yo problem with your weight anymore.

Omg you win. LOL.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I week ago I started taking diet pills. I've been taking the 1234 green bean coffee bean by Creative Bioscience. In a week, I've lost 3 pounds. I've taken diet pills in the past and have had success. I was wondering who else has taken diet pills. Have you had success with them? Which ones have you tried? Which diet pills have worked the best for you?

There are very few effective weight loss drugs on the market currently. All of them require doctor supervision and a prescription. Anything sold as a "supplement" for weight loss is probably a scam.

I am currently taking phentermine/topiramate under the supervision of a doctor. Phentermine is a stimulant and appetite suppressant while topirmate is a depressant and appetite suppressant. These have been used in combination for some time now as an appetite suppressant. They are generally used in dosages high enough to suppress appetite but low enough that you do not generally have serious side effects.

Nonetheless, these are serious medications and the potential for serious side effects is present, which is why they require doctor supervision.

I find phentermine/topiramate to be a fairly effective appetite suppressant, which makes it easier to stick to a caloric deficit, which is what causes weight loss.

Topirmate is NOT a depressant. It is an anti convulsion medication and does have an off label use as a mood stabilizer in those with bipolar.

There are very few effective weight loss drugs on the market currently. All of them require doctor supervision and a prescription. Anything sold as a "supplement" for weight loss is probably a scam.

I am currently taking phentermine/topiramate under the supervision of a doctor. Phentermine is a stimulant and appetite suppressant while topirmate is a depressant and appetite suppressant. These have been used in combination for some time now as an appetite suppressant. They are generally used in dosages high enough to suppress appetite but low enough that you do not generally have serious side effects.

Nonetheless, these are serious medications and the potential for serious side effects is present, which is why they require doctor supervision.

I find phentermine/topiramate to be a fairly effective appetite suppressant, which makes it easier to stick to a caloric deficit, which is what causes weight loss.

Topiramate (Topamax) is an anti-epileptic.

Edit: Just saw you also corrected this.

Many drugs have multiple uses they are just widely known for certain uses. Topiramate is also used for bipolar disorder and sometimes migraines. My aunt takes anti-seizure medication for her severe migraines

A drug may have multiple uses, but that does not mean it magically becomes something it is not. It is not a depressant.

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    They're poison. Want to invest in something? Invest in a gym membership. Invest in a trainer. Invest in quality fruits, veggies, meats (organic and locally-sourced, when possible and practical). Invest in new workout gear that makes you feel fabulous. Invest in a set of weights. Invest in YOURSELF - not a diet pill company.

I've been there multiple times. This pill will help me lose weight?! Bring it on! Guess what - I am still fat and a little bit poorer; not only that, but my health has suffered from experimenting with chemicals called "weight loss pills" - both OTC and doctor-prescribed. My 300+ pound doctor recommended phentermine when I first came to him with weight loss issues; it did nothing but give me heart palpitations and leave a bad taste in my mouth about the doctor whom I've since fired.

Please don't take the dark road of diet pills.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I tried them. Didn't do anything, total waste of money. The only thing that has helped me lose weight is CICO.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Btw, the regular price of the CB green coffee bean extract is $59.95/bottle, or $2.00/dose, and $5.20 to get the same as the coffee.

And that assumes that that supplement manufacturer actually puts the ingredients they claim in their pills. That industry is unregulated, and it's been shown that some will either have inconsistent dosing of the active ingredients. A few have been caught putting rice powder in capsules for various herbal treatments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/science/herbal-supplements-are-often-not-what-they-seem.html?_r=0
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    ...I find phentermine/topiramate to be a fairly effective appetite suppressant, which makes it easier to stick to a caloric deficit, which is what causes weight loss.

I emphatically suggest you stop taking them before they kill you. It isn't worth the risk. Just eat less.

I was prescribed topiramate as a mood stabilizer, a side effect being that I lost tons of weight. Almost 80 pounds in less than 6 months. It also caused intense headaches & vision loss, not really worth it if you ask me. Just because it's prescribed doesn't always mean it's safe :/ And by the by, I gained all of that weight back & then some once I stopped taking the drugs....
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Topirmate is NOT a depressant. It is an anti convulsion medication and does have an off label use as a mood stabilizer in those with bipolar.

Edit: Just saw you also corrected this.

Many drugs have multiple uses they are just widely known for certain uses. Topiramate is also used for bipolar disorder and sometimes migraines. My aunt takes anti-seizure medication for her severe migraines

A drug may have multiple uses, but that does not mean it magically becomes something it is not. It is not a depressant.

Topiramate is a CNS depressant, so maybe not the definition of depressant you were thinking of, nothing magical about that.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

You are correct. It is not technically a "depressant". Nonetheless, it does usually cause fatigue. My doctor said it is a counter to the stimulant effect of phentermine.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I emphatically suggest you stop taking them before they kill you. It isn't worth the risk. Just eat less.

It's worth it to me. Historically I have not been able to sustain eating less without an appetite suppressant. It's pretty much this or no weight loss.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Is it safe to say a consensus has been formed? Leave the dead horse alone.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Just because Topamax is used for multiple conditions doesn't mean it should be called a 'depressant' or 'appetite suppressant' when it is in the anti-epileptic drug class.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

It's worth it to me. Historically I have not been able to sustain eating less without an appetite suppressant. It's pretty much this or no weight loss.

You cannot take Phentermine/Topamax for the rest of your life. So, pill popping isn't sustainable either and will likely result in weight gain after you stop taking the drug.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I tried all I could get my hands on. Even ones on the internet and guess what??? They didn't work. Went to the doctor, years ago in England when I had a smaller amount of weight to lose and they made me throw up, nice.
    Its your money at the end of the day but I still think that pills are a waste of time and money. There are herbal medicines that do work if you take them properly. I have one sitting downstairs that my brother-in-law brought for me and my husband to help prevent an attack of typhoid again. It works!! I've heard of one for weight loss and may try it for a bit while sticking to a calorie deficit and exercising. Its cheaper than diet pills and has good reviews but that's here in Nigeria.
    CICO works. Weighing your food works. Drink water works. Logging food on MFP and seeing how you are doing works, oh and that one is free.
    Good luck OP. I have the feeling that no matter what people post as a reply that you will stick to your guns, which is a shame but its your life, your body, your choice? We just don't want to see your money go down the toilet.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I saw this as a joke. 5 people disagreed. Oh well.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The OP made me burst out laughing. You crazy peeps.