Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• sarahjanekinney
    sarahjanekinney Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bought an exercise bike last year so that I could exercise comfortably in my dorm while away in college. I didn't use it once. My friends began using it as a chair when they came over. Shameful.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I bought an exercise bike last year so that I could exercise comfortably in my dorm while away in college. I didn't use it once. My friends began using it as a chair when they came over. Shameful.

My mom's treadmill became a place to hang/store clothes :). I'm sure this happens to a number of people.

• Edison563
    Edison563 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

My grandma has an exercise bike...we use it as a chair. Lol dont worry.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    faithyang wrote: »
    I have been overestimating the kcal of my coffee. I was assuming it contained 100 kcal but today I calculated everything in detail and it's just 40 kcal. Ugh 60 kcal of food missed :D

Don't you hate that! Food get in MAH belly! I also agree with what Franc has said about weighing a protein bar & finding out it has around 30-40 more calories than it should. Today I weighed my Quest bar & it weighed 70 grams instead of 60 which I am not going to complain since it's Quest & more Quest isn't a bad thing, but I can see how it can screw up someone's day if everything weighs more than what it should.

I confess that today I went to Wal-Mart to grab some groceries & was pleasantly surprised that they have started to carry a bit more healthy/organic/vegetarian meals. I bought a few Evol frozen meals I haven't tried before & around six Amy's frozen burritos (I wish they had Red's brand but oh well). I also bought some more diet soda since I can't live without my Diet Mountain Dew. Oh Diet Mountain Dew how I love you so. I bought another package of Oreos not that I need anymore since I bought the new S'Mores, Mega Stuf, & Reese's Peanut Butter ones on Sunday. This time I got the Lemon Oreos & was surprised that they actually have a pleasant lemon taste. To round out the shopping trip I got Breyer's Golden Oreo ice cream (I haven't had that one in ages) & their Raspberry Cheesecake flavor. For those that are lactose intolerant I noticed my local Wal-Mart has the new Silk Cashew ice cream flavors & some of the flavors seem pretty good. If they would've had the Snickerdoodle one I would've bought that too.

http://www.onsecondscoop.com/2015/05/so-delicious-cashew-milk-frozen-desserts.html

OMG. Don't even get me started on Walmart. When I visited the US for a short stint I had the distinct pleasure/nightmare (subjective) of going to Walmart and a couple of other popular department/supermarket chains. I was blown away by:

1. The size of US portions
    2. The size of US supermarkets
    3. The size of US products
    4. The price --> THE STUFF IS SO CHEAP

I live in an area without a massive Walmart, so I never go there. I do go to what I'd consider large supermarkets, specifically Jewel (which is local), TJ's, WF's, and Marianos. Around Christmas I was visiting my parents and went to a Walmart for the first time in years, as well as some other discount supermarket near them (can't recall the same), and was overwhelmed by how ridiculously large it was. I honestly don't think I'd ever buy anything, because it took forever to find stuff. In mine it's just in and out, usually on the way home from the L.

(In theory I should join out local Costco, which is large and has huge sizes of stuff, as well as good prices on some food things.)

I think because of living in the city and doing a large part of my shopping at the farmer's market/my CSA and ignoring a huge number of the aisles in even my own smaller stores I may not fully understand the US shopping experience in some ways, or at least can say it varies a lot.

It was MASSIVE!

Yes I tend to gravitate towards farmer's markets and community markets. The vibe is always so lovely and vibrant and its like a day out on its own. You get to sample lots of goodies and home-made treats too and I absolutely love home-made relishes, jams, pastries and small goods made fresh and local! Great place to meet new people and mingle within the community too.

But you're right the US shopping experience varies really widely depending on the state and the area - I did manage to find myself some local farmer's markets (had my first frozen custard - dark Egyptian chocolate studded with crushed hazelnuts and figs YUM) and while travelling to some other states the experiences were very diverse. There's literally something for everyone there, but nevertheless I found the choices bewildering and mind-boggling - absolute overstimulation! :)
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    For those of you who love cute kitty pictures, here's one of my sister's doll-faced persian when he was an itty bitty kitten.

fpxbj63hcf8h.jpg

Today on my way to work I went by a shop that had a black kitty laying next to the mannequins at the widow. I paused to look at it and it meowed loudly at me. I wanted to pet it so bad!

Freaking adorable!

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Since everyone else is sharing more animal images, I got jealous and decided to show you all some more of our family cats. (You don't even want to know how many we have. Hint: It's in the double digits.) I don't live at home anymore, but I have lots of pictures!

rajw4a0su5yc.jpg
    This is Snowbelle. She got so fat that I started calling her Snowball, but now I just go with Butterball.

hlxgo0krbykn.jpg
    This is Taco. We found him paralyzed from the waist down, and unfortunately couldn't save him. He died after three days at the vet's office. :'(

es2s514m7a4v.jpg
    Cupcake and Bambi. Obviously they had NOTHING to do with all the toilet paper all over the floor.

There are more, but that would be just too many! ;)
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    eMka11 wrote: »
    Confession: I am watching Eurovision Song Contest with my girls and enjoy it, it reminds me a lot of my childhood when me and my sister would stay up way past our usual bed time to watch it and to have a glimpse of Europe, being raised in Poland in the 80-ies :-)

The UK entry must have been a joke. I broke out the wine at that point.

Ha ha 5 points apparently! WOO! :confounded:
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I bought a colouring book for grown ups and pencil crayons last night, and spent a good hour colouring when I got home. Yes, I'm 30 years old. No, I'm not ashamed.

No shame in this! I have two adult colouring in books. I asked for one for my birthday as well. :smile:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    I have been overestimating the kcal of my coffee. I was assuming it contained 100 kcal but today I calculated everything in detail and it's just 40 kcal. Ugh 60 kcal of food missed :D

Don't you hate that! Food get in MAH belly! I also agree with what Franc has said about weighing a protein bar & finding out it has around 30-40 more calories than it should. Today I weighed my Quest bar & it weighed 70 grams instead of 60 which I am not going to complain since it's Quest & more Quest isn't a bad thing, but I can see how it can screw up someone's day if everything weighs more than what it should.

I confess that today I went to Wal-Mart to grab some groceries & was pleasantly surprised that they have started to carry a bit more healthy/organic/vegetarian meals. I bought a few Evol frozen meals I haven't tried before & around six Amy's frozen burritos (I wish they had Red's brand but oh well). I also bought some more diet soda since I can't live without my Diet Mountain Dew. Oh Diet Mountain Dew how I love you so. I bought another package of Oreos not that I need anymore since I bought the new S'Mores, Mega Stuf, & Reese's Peanut Butter ones on Sunday. This time I got the Lemon Oreos & was surprised that they actually have a pleasant lemon taste. To round out the shopping trip I got Breyer's Golden Oreo ice cream (I haven't had that one in ages) & their Raspberry Cheesecake flavor. For those that are lactose intolerant I noticed my local Wal-Mart has the new Silk Cashew ice cream flavors & some of the flavors seem pretty good. If they would've had the Snickerdoodle one I would've bought that too.

http://www.onsecondscoop.com/2015/05/so-delicious-cashew-milk-frozen-desserts.html

OMG. Don't even get me started on Walmart. When I visited the US for a short stint I had the distinct pleasure/nightmare (subjective) of going to Walmart and a couple of other popular department/supermarket chains. I was blown away by:

1. The size of US portions
    2. The size of US supermarkets
    3. The size of US products
    4. The price --> THE STUFF IS SO CHEAP

It makes perfect sense why losing weight in the US is so hard! Huge, massive azz portions + cheap prices = too easy to overconsume, difficult to maintain portion/self-control as we tend to eyeball things!

Not to mention the availability of food, pastries, sugary stuff, junk - everywhere! In pharmacies (it boggles my mind how a 'health' place can hawk junk food and cigarettes), in gas stations, vending machines filled with junk food and sugary drinks in schools, cheap and available gourmet and restaurant/cafe food everywhere in large portions...buffets everywhere for cheap.

I ended up gaining 2kg, and a noticeable paunch around my waist despite making the effort to exercise 5 times a day!

I found it so hard to not buy 10 varieties of Oreos ('reduced fat' oreos and 'sugar-free' chocolates were the laughs of the week for me! :smiley: ) in one visit, and omg the varety of Pringles, chips and ice creams for cheap + the size of them...crazy! I ended up hoarding so. much. food. But I couldn't bring myself to finish them all. I think I just ended up finishing a can of Pringles together with my SO.

To give you an example of what I mean by cheap: Where I live a Ben & Jerry's pint is US$12-13. When I was in the US it was between US$3-5.

Yikes $12-13 for Ben & Jerry's! That's nuts! I paid that for Jeni's ice cream online (a gourmet ice cream based out of Ohio). I do have to agree that at times it's overwhelming with how many selections we have of certain food items. Yesterday I bought around 5-6 different cereals I never tried & I would estimate there were at least 50-100 or more different kinds in that aisle yesterday. Do you have any stores near you that sell foods that are more popular in America/Canada?

I've heard people have found ice cream recipes online that taste like Jeni's & I would imagine they have some that you could replicate for Ben & Jerry's.

I confess that I work at a Wal-Mart & love when we have foreign customers come in & get excited to shop there. I had a man that was from the Netherlands that said his kids were mad that they couldn't come to the US & visit Wal-Mart.

The one store I don't have near me that I wish I did is Trader Joe's.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    eMka11 wrote: »
    When I was 12 or 13 my best school friend told me you can summon devil by looking in the mirror and calling his name 3 times, then she started to call... I was in tears begging her to stop after she said it for the second time. I was petrified!

At 50 I still don't look into a mirror in the dark, I am to afraid.

I have never been able to actually say "Bloody Mary" three times in front of the mirror. I mean, the odds of something actually happening are pretty slim, but why take the chance?!

Does anyone else hate when their feet are outside of the blanket or over the bed?

I'm the opposite. I have to sleep with my feet out. Particularly in the summer. I think my body temperature is related to the temperature of my feet.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    It is Monday, which means I am at work all day again, and gonna be worried about my fur baby.....he is still hanging in there, but is really really skinny and eating next to nothing, he won't even take the corn flakes anymore :'(

I am sorry to post about this so many times, it feels long and drawn out, but it is the first thing on my mind every morning......

I really REALLY don't want to say this, but i think it may be time. If he's not eating or drinking anymore it will happen eventually, but slowly :cry: I'm really sorry, my heart goes out to you it really does.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    On the only child thing, I have 3 brothers so was used to being surrounded by other kids. Then when I was 9 I went to live with an aunt for a year whose kids were grown so was essentially an only child for that year. It wasn't due to any bad circumstances - it was to learn French by immersing myself in the country/culture, worked a treat!. So I was in a different country to my brothers and really didn't hear from them for most of the year.

On the one hand there weren't any kids to talk to in the house, but on the other hand I've always valued my own company. I was awesome at imaginary play, or just disappearing for an afternoon to paint pictures. From a quality of life point of view, I enjoyed myself either way. Kids are adaptable, so I think I just adapted to whatever environment I was in. I think the main thing is that the child feels secure and loved. Everything else will sort itself out, be it single child or siblings galore.

What an amazing opportunity for you! Sounds like you were a laid back, adaptable child. I think it also depends on how the parents present and react to the situations as well. For some reason, when my sister and I were little and we were moving to a bigger house my mom refused to move to a different neighborhood that would mean us changing schools. It was a big deal and the main reason we moved where we did. We were happy that we didn't have to change schools, of course, but I grew up thinking how "scary" it would be and when new kids would come to our school or friends were moving away I thought it was so terrible! Very closed-minded of me, but I didn't know better back then. Good for your parents for giving you that experience!

I'm 800+ posts behind and may never catch up, oh well.

Regarding my random year spent living in France with an aunt, you are right it was an amazing opportunity and I am super grateful. It also stood me in good stead with learning to be the new kid, because once I returned home, having lived on the a relatively small island forever, we moved as a family to a different end of the country when I was 11, and then to another end of the country when I was 14. The school systems were timed differently, so I ended up going to about 5 schools within 6 years. For the most part, I had a really happy childhood. My parents presented it as a big adventure, something to be excited about, so we were.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For those of you who love cute kitty pictures, here's one of my sister's doll-faced persian when he was an itty bitty kitten.

fpxbj63hcf8h.jpg

Today on my way to work I went by a shop that had a black kitty laying next to the mannequins at the widow. I paused to look at it and it meowed loudly at me. I wanted to pet it so bad!

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Cannot resist fluffy kittens.

This is mine. Her name is Vameka but I just call her Monster, it's more appropriate. She's my 'heart cat', if there's such a thing, even if she's a pain in the butt.

DSC00686b_zps42e2af8b.jpg

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Since everyone else is sharing more animal images, I got jealous and decided to show you all some more of our family cats. (You don't even want to know how many we have. Hint: It's in the double digits.) I don't live at home anymore, but I have lots of pictures!

rajw4a0su5yc.jpg
    This is Snowbelle. She got so fat that I started calling her Snowball, but now I just go with Butterball.

hlxgo0krbykn.jpg
    This is Taco. We found him paralyzed from the waist down, and unfortunately couldn't save him. He died after three days at the vet's office. :'(

es2s514m7a4v.jpg
    Cupcake and Bambi. Obviously they had NOTHING to do with all the toilet paper all over the floor.

There are more, but that would be just too many! ;)

That is so sad about Taco! The rest are beautiful!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I am going to make those buttermilk donuts today that was posted earlier. I will let you guys know how they turn out. I'm going to dip them in chocolate ganache and put sprinkles on them. I am my own worst enemy but I will count all the calories :smile:

they turned out pretty good since it was only the second time I have deep fried anything (the first time I made donuts my oil was not nearly hot enough). I think I may have added 1) too much flour or 2) I over mixed it because they are a bit chewy rather than light and fluffy but they still are really good.

1rd4scfuvyyl.jpg

Those look incredible! I want one!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    OK, I have to get in on the pet-sharing action. Here's Wilbur (dog) and Muffin (cat). This is one of the first times they actually interacted in a calm way. Wilbur really wants to be friends but Muffin is not overly interested.
    wr3uy1p0wr45.jpg

Muffin is the older sister and very much thinks she's a pretty princess.
    nylaub5c02bu.jpg

Wilbur is my big baby. He loves lounging in the sun and cracks me up how he'll put himself in weird spots to get the last bit of sun. (FYI/BTW to earlier complaints about cat-calling while running: No one cat-calls me when I'm running with him)
    b7qkaegu9gcy.jpg
    rpqqcnjo1kh0.jpg

Adorable. As much as I love cats, I love dogs more but I am never home so can't have one. :(
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Rabbit914 wrote: »
    Went to give blood today but was denied since I got a tattoo in another country within the last year. I was upset that they pricked my finger first (I guess to see if my blood was good enough) before asking those questions so I took the offered cookies anyways.

I was denied giving blood because I had a tattoo touched up in another state within the last year. Neighboring states. If I had tried to give blood in the state where I got the tattoo, I could have done it. If I had the tattoo done in the state I was trying to give blood in, I could have done it. Stupid.

I can't give blood in France because I lived in the UK during the 1990s and might therefore have mad cow disease. Of course, nearly everyone who gives blood in the UK also lived there in the 1990s, and somehow our blood service functions. I understand the reasoning of course, while ever they're not desperately low on blood stock it's not worth their limited time to be handling higher risk donations so they just don't, but when I lived in France I always wondered how they thought we managed in the UK.
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Confession: I want to go on a vacation with just my husband without the 5 and 7 year old. I am willing to let them stay with family for a few days. Not a month or anything, like a long weekend. My husband doesn't trust a sole on this earth with his kids so this won't happen. At least until my kids are out of the house. So I will get a kid free vacation in about 11 years if I'm lucky. This is sad to me because I think couples need time together, but I feel guilty too like he's the better parent because I'm ok with them being with other people for a few days and he won't have it. ok rambling over.

No, don't feel that way. He is not better than you; just has a differing opinion. I say absolutely do NOT wait that long for a child-free vacation! Hopefully he will change his mind soon. What about any of the kids friends and their parents? Does he trust any of them? We always had a surplus of family members to watch our kids (very grateful for that), but sometimes they'd like to stay with friends' families. Exposed them to different things, too. Good luck!

He trusts no one. Not my mom, my sister friends anything for longer than a few hours. I appreciate his love for our children of course, but ya gotta cut the cord or at least stretch it some.

We have talked about doing a Disney cruise where the kids would be at the kid stuff a lot. I think we may do that the end of this year so that's a start. But even then I can see him not wanting to be away from them for too long. Now we're talking about perfect strangers being in charge of our kids.

How old are your kids?

5 and 7. We've lived here for over 2 months now and we have gone on two dates. He has trust issues and he says he needs time to build the trust with my family to let my kids stay with them, so I guess he's working on it and I just need to be patient and supportive while he works through this.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    MissLaaber wrote: »
    I hope everyone who has the long weekend is enjoying it! I want to hear stories about what you guys got up to so I can live vicariously through them.

I went to a birthday party yesterday, had hotdogs, pulled pork, chicken dip, cake ice cream and more beer than I should have. Then did a Glow Run where I work with my mom, wife, daughter and niece.

Today I put a brisket on the smoker at 8am and as of right now it's almost up to temperature. Stoked up a fire around 10am and did steaks for lunch and have had a few adult beverages since then while taking care of some yard work and now I'm just chilling by the fire waiting for the brisket to finish.

IMG_20150525_151128252_zpsyzjajosw.jpg

Interesting Koozie (sp?)...
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Went to give blood today but was denied since I got a tattoo in another country within the last year. I was upset that they pricked my finger first (I guess to see if my blood was good enough) before asking those questions so I took the offered cookies anyways.

I was denied giving blood because I had a tattoo touched up in another state within the last year. Neighboring states. If I had tried to give blood in the state where I got the tattoo, I could have done it. If I had the tattoo done in the state I was trying to give blood in, I could have done it. Stupid.

I can't give blood in France because I lived in the UK during the 1990s and might therefore have mad cow disease. Of course, nearly everyone who gives blood in the UK also lived there in the 1990s, and somehow our blood service functions. I understand the reasoning of course, while ever they're not desperately low on blood stock it's not worth their limited time to be handling higher risk donations so they just don't, but when I lived in France I always wondered how they thought we managed in the UK.

We have the UK restriction too, I think between 1960-something and 1996. But you know, Australian quarantine. Superprotect!

Although I wish they had a box on the form for "the pill". It's really annoying to have to tick the regular medication box and explain that it's the pill every time. I'm sure that box is meant for the more serious stuff. And then I got confused between the surgery boxes and had to tick yes on two separate occasions because wisdom teeth.

Although I loved the explanation I got when I asked, "what is this disease?". (They have three questions of "do your or anyone in your family suffer from: and then list three totally unpronounceable, unspellable diseases.) The nurse just replied, if you have to ask, you can tick no.