How I feel about some of these forums

Options

Replies

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    baby05phat wrote: »
    Is there seriously no way to get rid of toxins? Then why does bloodwork look so much better after the person has lost weight and become healthier? A toxin is anything that damages the body.
    Plus are all of you doctors? Lol ...even science and doctors knows so much about the human body and we are still unsure of gmo's and what they can do to us in the future, we have a growing obesity epidemic so I just thought this place would be friendlier

Lmao, you make a post saying how you dislike people who talk in the forums argumentatively and aggressively, then write a post like this. Just read what you are saying.

"Plus are all of you doctors? Lol"

Sounds like mockery to me bro. You don't need to be a doctor to know what your talking about. Also, you are severely on that there 'hippie time'. Nobody likes nutrition hippies, that's probably why your encountering such negativity.

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm especially talking about the "clean eating" hate going on. People instantly get attacked for suggesting they are going to restrict certain foods, eat raw or just eat unprocessed/nutritious foods only. Some people have to do this or the other food triggers a massive binge from those with binge eating disorder, etc.
    I'm just saying we are all different, can we be a little more open minded to different things. Obviously unhealthy diets and things that will harm you can be commented upon but then again even fasting for short periods of time is healthy for some people and some doctors even recommend intense diets for people who's situation is life/death.

I'd say a higher percentage of people fail due to that sort of restriction than the amount that fail due to food triggers. Attempting an unsustainable lifestyle, imo, is the reason most people fail at weight loss. Most people being "attacked", as you say, are attempting an unsustainable lifestyle that they will give up on within 2 weeks. Almost everyone on this forum is trying to help others!
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm especially talking about the "clean eating" hate going on. People instantly get attacked for suggesting they are going to restrict certain foods, eat raw or just eat unprocessed/nutritious foods only. Some people have to do this or the other food triggers a massive binge from those with binge eating disorder, etc.

That's because this is a weight loss forum. Approach to health is individual, and if they wish to eat a rule-based diet for the sake of health I have not heard anyone being against it yet.
    People that post their restrictive diets as an approach to weight loss is spreading misinformation and should be questioned.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I love this place because of the tough love stance and the hard line on science. There are tons of places on the internet where people can get support for their woo and pseudoscience and a pat on the head every time they "ruined their diet" again, even if it's the fiftieth time. I don't need that, I need this.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Is there seriously no way to get rid of toxins? Then why does bloodwork look so much better after the person has lost weight and become healthier? A toxin is anything that damages the body.
    Plus are all of you doctors? Lol ...even science and doctors knows so much about the human body and we are still unsure of gmo's and what they can do to us in the future, we have a growing obesity epidemic so I just thought this place would be friendlier

if we're talking about obesity then all that matters is CICO.

restrictive diets like "clean" eating, or dangerous approaches like "toxin cleanses", are unnecessary for weight loss and generally unsustainable for long-term practice.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Plus are all of you doctors? Lol ...even science and doctors only know so much about the human body. We are unsure of so many things and still researching for example we are still unsure of gmo's and what they can do to us in the future, we have a growing obesity epidemic so I just thought this place would be friendlier

Your body naturally removes toxins. The reason bloodwork looks better after a person has lost weight is because they've reduced the size of the body that the internal organs have to remove toxins from. Same thing with blood pressure. If the is less places that have to have food an oxygen, the heart doesn't have to work as hard getting blood to those places.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I tried Atkins & Nutrisystem (2 of the the "magic pills" of weight loss.) Lost a little & gained a ton back when I stopped dieting.

Only by tracking everything, exercising regularly & eating at a deficit helped me lose weight & keep it off.

You know, just like those *ssholes online had been telling me to. For years.
  • baby05phat
    baby05phat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have binge eating disorder and I managed to eat strictly organic/healthy foods and never binge for a year and then I went to tim hortons followed by mcdonalds on someones birthday and binged nonstop, anytime I eat those foods the binging is triggered.
    Maybe moderation only works for some people and not for others at all
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And here I thought I'd find a question or information about General Diet and Weight Loss Help. I mean, that is what forum this thread is posted in.

Like your body the way it is? Keep doing what you're doing. Want to change your body and your mindset around food and exercise? Be open to listen to what people have to say here. Take what you like, and leave the rest. That's how I feel about these forums.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    90% of people on here mean well. sometimes people's replys can be taken the wrong way, it can be tough to tell when we are all typing on a computer and u can't actually see facial expressions, tone of voice, so on. they're are the odd 10% that almost always have a negative response. after awhile u just realize who they are and take it with a grain of salt. i love the forums and find most people have great advice, sugar coated or not. some people are on here are looking for validation in they're extreme diets and when they don't get it they decide everyone is mean. that is the one thing that drives me bonkers
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Just going to chime in binging =/= BED.

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Is it Friday already? Where have I been... ?

95% of people on here who are accused of being "mean" aren't mean whatsoever. They are usually discrediting a bunch of woo like "zomg, drink lemon water to totally detox your body!" That, and they are being completely blunt, and/or direct. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Adults don't need coddling.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way as you about the boards when I started. Then I saw the same questions being repeated and op's getting defensive of the big meanies trying to answer their questions honestly. Turns out most of them have a huge wealth of knowledge and give good evidence supporting what they are saying. It may not always be nice or what you want to hear, but those posts are a great way to learn
  • baby05phat
    baby05phat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Exactly, therefore helping remove toxins = weight loss, but eating junk food can cause other types of toxic reactions. They are still studying cancer and its link to junk food/gmo, nothing is a fine line or easy straight answer

Plus are all of you doctors? Lol ...even science and doctors only know so much about the human body. We are unsure of so many things and still researching for example we are still unsure of gmo's and what they can do to us in the future, we have a growing obesity epidemic so I just thought this place would be friendlier

Your body naturally removes toxins. The reason bloodwork looks better after a person has lost weight is because they've reduced the size of the body that the internal organs have to remove toxins from. Same thing with blood pressure. If the is less places that have to have food an oxygen, the heart doesn't have to work as hard getting blood to those places.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNi_MlVWFdOCMJpvbI7udOOZTSN0TA3LdSyZQCkWAJRoE7n5wZ

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I love this place because of the tough love stance and the hard line on science. There are tons of places on the internet where people can get support for their woo and pseudoscience and a pat on the head every time they "ruined their diet" again, even if it's the fiftieth time. I don't need that, I need this.

This.

Weight loss is full of a bunch of ridiculous myths, crazy beliefs, and woo, as well as a huge dose of paranoia (if I eat after 7 pm will I instantly gain 20 lbs). Detox diets are a non-insignificant part of that. I appreciate that this forum stands against the silliness, for the most part.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Is it Friday already? Where have I been... ?

95% of people on here who are accused of being "mean" aren't mean whatsoever. They are usually discrediting a bunch of woo like "zomg, drink lemon water to totally detox your body!" That, and they are being completely blunt, and/or direct. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Adults don't need coddling.

Yes, there are way too many people who equate disagreeing with them as "attacking" them. People need to grow up and learn the difference.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying we are all different, can we be a little more open minded to different things. Obviously unhealthy diets and things that will harm you can be commented upon but then again even fasting for short periods of time is healthy for some people and some doctors even recommend intense diets for people who's situation is life/death.

This^^^^ I have to eat clean or I don't lose weight, but I have seen many people get bashed for the mere suggestion. I wish I could eat cheeseburgers and fries everyday and have icecream for dessert as long as I'm in a deficit. But this does not work for me.
This discussion has been closed.