Thoughts on my eating philosophy?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    Please don't take my comments personally... I'm simply asking if it would be too much to ask of people (who aren't struggling to buy food and have the luxury of choosing what they eat) to just think about where their food is coming from... Think about being the key word here...

Well, you ignored my last response, but the same point is warranted so I'll ask again:

On what basis do you claim that the rest of us here don't think about what we eat or make aware and informed choices?
    perhaps you could actively make a choice that the oatmeal could be a better option. If not, that's ok, it's your choice and nobody should be changing that choice, but the fact you thought about it and made an informed decision to eat the healthier option is a great thing.

And again, on what basis do you claim that the rest of us here don't think about what we eat or make aware and informed choices?

I don't assume that other people exercise less thought in choosing what to eat than I do, and therefore I don't suggest to them that they think about what they eat as if they didn't.

I'm curious why you do.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to why some of you appear to be getting so upset about what the OP is suggesting. Quite a few pages back we were discussing the fact that if someone is sound in their own mind about the choices they're making then someone else's apparent 'judgment' them won't make them feel bad.

Personally I think mindfulness and morality applied to eating would be a very good thing. If I practiced both of these things at every meal I would not be overweight. So thank you @Nakeshia88 for causing me to remember that there can be higher motivations than just looking good in a pair of skinny jeans.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The truth is that I am envious of anyone that can eat and not have to think about every morsel they put in their mouth. I don't have that luxury. I have to think about everything I eat because if I don't there are terrible consequences... I can't be a helpful and productive member of society if I'm stuck on the toilet all day or curled up in bed pain and trying to muster to energy to get dressed, all because I got careless and ate something without thinking about it. But at the other end of the spectrum I realise that I'm incredibly lucky to be able to even have a choice over what I'm eat, and even when I'm curled up in pain I try to be grateful for the fact my situation isn't worse. If I don't make the best choice available to me with what I eat then I'm letting myself down and letting others down by rendering myself invalid for a day. If someone else can eat what they like with no such consequences then they should know that they are one of the luckiest people on Earth. I guess that's all I'm trying to portray here.
    What does that have to do with considering the source of your food? If grain hurts my belly (it does), does it really matter if it's organic whole wheat flour or bleached all-purpose flour? If you have trouble with meat, does it matter if it's grass-fed, grass-finished beef or factory farmed beef?

Personally, I think you're trying to dig yourself out of the hole you dug by moralizing about food choices.

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think it's terrible. There's nothing wrong with foods you didn't make yourself, so why not eat them? Life is too short to constantly deprive myself of things I enjoy.

I'm not saying I'll only eat foods that I make myself, I'm saying I'll only eat foods I *could* make myself. It would be way too restricting to only eat food that I'd made myself! For example, I'd still buy a pizza because it would only have ingredients that I could grow/kill myself - like flour, salt, milk, vegetables, meat etc, all things I *could* grow, kill or make myself if I needed or wanted to, but thankfully someone else has done all that for me! I wouldn't buy a Coca Cola because I couldn't grow and make my own high fructose corn syrup, caramel colour, phosophoric acid or natural flavours... I don't even know what half those things are!

Lol why ask for opinions if you're going to get defensive when people give them? All you wanted to know was what people thought, read the responses and move on.

That said, I think your philosophy serves absolutely no purpose as far as weight loss and general health.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm curious as to why some of you appear to be getting so upset about what the OP is suggesting. Quite a few pages back we were discussing the fact that if someone is sound in their own mind about the choices they're making then someone else's apparent 'judgment' them won't make them feel bad.

Personally I think mindfulness and morality applied to eating would be a very good thing. If I practiced both of these things at every meal I would not be overweight. So thank you @Nakeshia88 for causing me to remember that there can be higher motivations than just looking good in a pair of skinny jeans.

Well, she went from food source, to food choice, and then implied that her version of choice was morally superior.

This has nothing to do with the one's security in their own position. It has to do with her claiming that she's not passing judgement when she is.

Let me ask you this, @Nakeshia88, what was your purpose in starting this thread?

I practice mindful gratitude in my own life, but for me, it's a very private thing. Most of my moral/ethical/spiritual stuff is.

What was your purpose in sharing yours?

• lemurcat12
    Options
    I'm curious as to why some of you appear to be getting so upset about what the OP is suggesting.

I'm not upset, but one of the kinds of posts that I find most puzzling on MFP is that where the OP presumes to tell others what they should do, especially if it's something that she has no reason to assume that others are not doing.

"Think about what you eat" is a classic example.

I am always curious why she (or he) would think that other people, presumably rational adults, would need such advice, why she (or he) believes that we are in need of her (or his) instruction.

To me these read rather rude and condescending, so, sure, they bring out a snarkier side of me than some other sorts of posts, but I actually am sincere in asking what the motivation is, as I find it puzzling, as I said.

I guess because I think I have some helpful ideas about what has worked for me and might work for others and I am happy to share those in a discussion, but I'd NEVER post telling others what to do or suggesting that they hadn't considered what seems to me pretty basic advice unprompted like that. It doesn't seem respectful to me, but to be basically suggesting that you think others are morons or completely thoughtless, merely because they may not share your own ideas about how to do things.

This is especially annoying here because I and many others have actually contributed more meaningful thoughts on OP's position that made it obvious that we do think about what we eat, and she not only ignored those posts but basically accused us of being against mindfulness.

I remain open to discussion both of the points I raised re OP's philosophy (which were in no way anti mindfulness) and to the questions in this post and my prior one being addressed.

Not expecting much, though.
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    On what basis do you claim that the rest of us here don't think about what we eat or make aware and informed choices? I don’t believe I specifically claimed that everyone on MFP doesn't think about what they eat, or make aware and informed choices… I believe I’m suggesting some people could start think about what is in the food they are eating if they aren't already… for example if they wanted to make some healthy lifestyle changes but didn't know where to start – I believe thinking about what they are eating could be a good place to start.

Let me ask you this, @Nakeshia88, what was your purpose in starting this thread? I started this thread because I was interested hearing in people’s opinions about a philosophy for healthy eating that I feel could work for me.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Well, she went from food source, to food choice, and then implied that her version of choice was morally superior.

This has nothing to do with the one's security in their own position. It has to do with her claiming that she's not passing judgement when she is.

Let me ask you this, @Nakeshia88, what was your purpose in starting this thread?

I practice mindful gratitude in my own life, but for me, it's a very private thing. Most of my moral/ethical/spiritual stuff is.

What was your purpose in sharing yours?

IMO...I could be wrong...

Validation. I think that many people seek validation from others when they make life altering changes. People get defensive when those changes have flaws pointed out. In her mind it seemed like a good decision...I think she was expecting others to think so also.

She is human...we all like to think that we have made good choices.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have to chime in here. I really admire OP's philosophy and her concise clear to the point posts. Even though I don't eat 100% clean, or check every ingredient on the food labels etc etc I have not taken offence to one thing she has written.
    Some folks like to argue and debate for the sake of it, others yack and yack and yack to get their post count up :wink: In the end i'll do what I do, and they'll do what they do. It really doesn't affect me or my life in the least.

It is constantly preached here for people to have thicker skin and not get offended by other posters opinions. The only person who has complied with this on this thread is the OP.

Some of the people who regularly use the words "special snowflake" and "toughen up" blah blah blah are the very ones who have roared loudest on this thread.... All I can say is practice what you preach, and stop changing your moral ground whenever it suits you.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The truth is that I am envious of anyone that can eat and not have to think about every morsel they put in their mouth. I don't have that luxury. I have to think about everything I eat because if I don't there are terrible consequences... I can't be a helpful and productive member of society if I'm stuck on the toilet all day or curled up in bed pain and trying to muster to energy to get dressed, all because I got careless and ate something without thinking about it. But at the other end of the spectrum I realise that I'm incredibly lucky to be able to even have a choice over what I'm eat, and even when I'm curled up in pain I try to be grateful for the fact my situation isn't worse. If I don't make the best choice available to me with what I eat then I'm letting myself down and letting others down by rendering myself invalid for a day. If someone else can eat what they like with no such consequences then they should know that they are one of the luckiest people on Earth. I guess that's all I'm trying to portray here.

Again I'm sorry for sounding like such a selfish, ignorant, snobby fool... Obviously I need to retune my thinking :-(

I'm going to do crawl under a rock now.

Well...don't think you need to crawl under a rock...maybe just put on a big hat.

If your choice works for you...then go for it. I eat that way most of the time. However there are some things that I find just too much trouble to make myself and the other things...just taste too good to give up.

As far as thinking about the food that I buy...I can do a little more of that now...not for moral reasons however. There was a time that I just had to buy whatever was the cheapest and last me the longest. Well...there has been more than one time actually.

I am in a position now however that I can buy a better quality of food. What I think about when I am making my selections is how grateful that I am that I no longer have to buy hotdogs that are BOGO!

• lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I believe I’m suggesting some people could start think about what is in the food they are eating if they aren't already… for example if they wanted to make some healthy lifestyle changes but didn't know where to start – I believe thinking about what they are eating could be a good place to start.

Don't you see how this assumes that people AREN'T thinking about what they are eating?

Given that you broke it out in the middle of a discussion in which most of the people you were talking to had expressed thought-out ideas about their food choices, I am puzzled, again, why you assumed that those you were talking to needed to be told how to make healthy lifestyle changes or don't already think about what they are eating. Simply because they didn't agree with your "philosophy"? Like I said before, I'd be happy to engage in actual discussion.

Why not respond to the many prior comments?

I do think there may be a conversational style difference here. If someone feels compelled to explain to me, with no prior question or reason to think I needed to be enlightened on the point, that 2+2=4 or that War and Peace is a book by Tolstoy or that Canada is a country in North America, I'd be annoyed, because the implication is that the person thinks I'm an ignorant idiot. Similarly, if you suggest to me that perhaps I should think about what I eat and the ingredients in it, with no reason to think I don't and no idea what I do eat or why (other than what I've said on this thread, which does not suggest I am completely thoughtless), that is at least somewhat the same kind of thing.

It's also why I don't tell people, absent a request for advice, that they should eat veggies or the like. I assume we are all halfway intelligent adults and that most people know basic information that is, indeed, common knowledge.

For the record, I'm not trying to give you a hard time or argue. I'm just trying to explain the reaction you got and maybe hash out the conversational issues here--explaining why it came across rude to me although I accept it probably was not meant to be such.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I have to chime in here. I really admire OP's philosophy and her concise clear to the point posts. Even though I don't eat 100% clean, or check every ingredient on the food labels etc etc I have not taken offence to one thing she has written.
    Some folks like to argue and debate for the sake of it, others yack and yack and yack to get their post count up :wink: In the end i'll do what I do, and they'll do what they do. It really doesn't affect me or my life in the least.

It is constantly preached here for people to have thicker skin and not get offended by other posters opinions. The only person who has complied with this on this thread is the OP.

Some of the people who regularly use the words "special snowflake" and "toughen up" blah blah blah are the very ones who have roared loudest on this thread.... All I can say is practice what you preach, and stop changing your moral ground whenever it suits you.

Who are you talking about?

This whole thing is a philosophical debate. There's no offense.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

some people are coming across as being offended by some of op's comments. That's how it's coming across to me anyway. ..

• PeachyCarol
    Options

some people are coming across as being offended by some of op's comments. That's how it's coming across to me anyway. ..

Ah, well you're entitled to your interpretation of things.

I can assure you that if you think I'm one of the people, I'm not offended. Just enjoying a debate.

• aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow ! So eating healthy to fuel a body properly and trying to eat naturally is elitist? When I travel this is how the people in the poorest countries eat. They eat rice, beans, a bit of meat or fish, veggies and some fruit. And I travel to some poor countries when I travel.

I can't believe the people on this forum! I for one support OP. I feel so much better since I have started eating the same way. I eat food. Meat, veggies, eggs, cheese, fruit, healthy oils, beans, rice and whole foods as much as possible. And guess what? I feel amazing.

And I was raised in utter poverty, and that is how we ate. Mind you the meat wasn't prime cuts, the veggies weren't organic but we ate healthy, just not pricey.

For those of us who are losing weight. Guess what? You aren't eating TDEE. Which means every calorie you put in your body has to work harder to provide the nutrition that eating TDEE would provide.

Yes you can lose weight on jelly donuts and McDonalds french fries. But your body wouldn't have all those important nutrients it needs for the hundreds of complex things it does every single day. You won't have energy, because you will be lacking what you need.

Can you have treats and lose weight? Hell yes. I'm just getting to the point where I'd rather buy treats at a bake sale, or bake them myself or get them from a bakery than eat something that has been sitting in a cellophane rapper for a year at the gas station.

People on these forums sometimes really cause me to shake my head. I've been doing MFP off and on for a few years. The forums never change. Lifting heavy is the only thing that works, we should eat whatever we want and lose weight even if we can't eat whatever we want in moderation not to mention the bro science. It literally never changes and never ceases to amuse me.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow ! So eating healthy to fuel a body properly and trying to eat naturally is elitist? When I travel this is how the people in the poorest countries eat. They eat rice, beans, a bit of meat or fish, veggies and some fruit. And I travel to some poor countries when I travel.

I can't believe the people on this forum! I for one support OP. I feel so much better since I have started eating the same way. I eat food. Meat, veggies, eggs, cheese, fruit, healthy oils, beans, rice and whole foods as much as possible. And guess what? I feel amazing.

And I was raised in utter poverty, and that is how we ate. Mind you the meat wasn't prime cuts, the veggies weren't organic but we ate healthy, just not pricey.

For those of us who are losing weight. Guess what? You aren't eating TDEE. Which means every calorie you put in your body has to work harder to provide the nutrition that eating TDEE would provide.

Yes you can lose weight on jelly donuts and McDonalds french fries. But your body wouldn't have all those important nutrients it needs for the hundreds of complex things it does every single day. You won't have energy, because you will be lacking what you need.

Can you have treats and lose weight? Hell yes. I'm just getting to the point where I'd rather buy treats at a bake sale, or bake them myself or get them from a bakery than eat something that has been sitting in a cellophane rapper for a year at the gas station.

People on these forums sometimes really cause me to shake my head. I've been doing MFP off and on for a few years. The forums never change. Lifting heavy is the only thing that works, we should eat whatever we want and lose weight even if we can't eat whatever we want in moderation not to mention the bro science. It literally never changes and never ceases to amuse me.

I think it's more that she assumes that if people aren't eating organic, it's because they haven't bothered to think about the ethical side of things. That or they're impoverished. I'm not impoverished, by her definition, but if my grocery cart were 100% organic, it'd cost 3 or 4 times as much, and then I'd be in trouble. Although I sympathize with the beasties I eat and would prefer they be killed humanely (or animal-ly), I cannot comfortably live as a vegetarian, which would be my other option. I'm low in iron, I also have IBS so can't live off lentils, I feel best with meat. So I'm going to eat the meat I can afford, because I want to live reasonably well. I care about me more than I do about the beasties, there, I said it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Wow ! So eating healthy to fuel a body properly and trying to eat naturally is elitist?

Who said this? Please quote, as I must have missed it.
    I eat food.

Who doesn't?
    Yes you can lose weight on jelly donuts and McDonalds french fries.

Who recommended this as someone's exclusive or primary diet? Again, I must have missed it. I expect you can link, because you wouldn't just be making up stuff and lying about what people have said, would you?
    But your body wouldn't have all those important nutrients it needs for the hundreds of complex things it does every single day. You won't have energy, because you will be lacking what you need.

Did anyone argue against eating a nutritious diet?

Indeed, I believe I specifically said, in responding to OP, that focusing on the actual nutrition content of foods and not whether or not you think you could recreate it yourself seems more relevant, as I to date have not made yogurt and don't know if I could make it (I have been convinced I probably could, but that's neither here nor there, as I could probably make protein powder too with the proper tools).

I've always been into baking stuff myself, including when I was getting fat, so although I personally agree with this sentiment, I don't think it is actually relevant to the nutrition content of your diet or how easy it is to lose weight.
    People on these forums sometimes really cause me to shake my head.

Maybe because you've just made up a bunch of stuff that we supposedly said rather than actually responding to the comments made?

The refusal to actually engage and insistance instead on misrepresenting is one of the things I find most frustrating in these conversations.
  • fitter52
    fitter52 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your philosophy is a great goal to strive for. I feel healthiest when I eat natural foods, such as a big pot of vegetable soup, grilled vegetables, or stir fries. I don't buy organic most of the time but I do eat lots of vegetables, whole grains, and a variety of meat, poultry, and fish. I think a hearty home-style whole grain bread is just tastier and more filling than lighter breads. If you are motivated to eat natural foods, and that will help you stick with your eating plan, I say Go For It. Who knows what the chemicals in our foods and over processed grains do to our bodies? There are a lot of inexpensive options such as fresh and canned and frozen vegetables, beans, brown rice, whole grain pastas, cheese, yogurt. Then supplement with proteins and foods that enhance your meal/snack such as fruit or dark chocolate. Minimize sugars and moderate carbs and trans fats. Others may disagree but don't let that stop you from doing what you feel is right for YOUR body. As you get older, you cannot kid yourself that eating foods high in sugar and/or trans fats and chemicals are good for you without consequences.

Good luck!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    93gemmac wrote: »
    Deprivation usually results in intense craving for the 'forbidden' food. Nothing wrong with having a little Coca Cola here and there; no food is intrinsically 'bad', it's the quantities which make it unhealthy...

This basically sums up how I look at it. I eat mostly "clean" and unprocessed foods for the nutrition, but if I have some extra calories left to burn, I'll have a treat. If I'm stuck without food and have to get takeout, I make the healthiest choice I can- but I don't obsess about sodium or sugar. I just log it and move on. Anything in excess can be bad for you, and "bad foods" are much the same. Occasional pop or deep fried, delicious crap won't kill you, as long as it's a treat and not a lifestyle.