Turning 40 and body isn't the same!

Options
apick2014
apick2014 Posts: 9 Member
Hi! Amy here & ready for general advice, encouragement & results! Previously in great shape & need to get back to it again but age 40 makes it a little harder. Maybe I need to relearn how to lose it, tone it & maintain it, since it >was<easy in my 20s & 30s. Also I sit in an office 5-6 days a week & stay busy at a computer=sedentary :/
Currently attend 45 minute bootcamp 3 days a week, and do 30 minutes of cardio first thing out of bed on the other 4 days. Amino energy, quest protein, soy, green tea, hydroxycut... What's working for you?

Replies

• apick2014
    Options
    Before photo 2013 & after 2015:(
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Amino acids, whey protein isolate, multi-vitamins and food! Oh yeah and some caffeine.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and what's working for me is tracking my intake accurately. It's all about calories in vs calories out, imo age has nothing to do with it once you learn how to accurately track how much you're really eating. You don't need hydroxycut, green tea, etc to lose weight. I do think you may have to relearn what you think you know about weight loss since most people think it means some fad diets, eating 1200 calories etc. When I first came to MFP I read the stickies because I had no idea HOW to lose weight in a sustainable realistic way. This is the thread that helped me to really understand how weight loss works:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Becca281552
    Becca281552 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @strong_curves ~ thanks for your post... that's a very helpful link!! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    :s I'm 51. I mostly just eat less than did before and made sure I exercised regularly throughout the Winter, which is usually a pretty sedentary season for me. No supplements, semi-regular tracking. I'm losing slowly to prevent muscle and bone loss.

Weight loss is harder for me now, but I'm not sure fat loss is. Water weight is a much bigger problem right now. F'n hormones!!
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in November. I am in better shape than I ever was in my 30's. But that's because I could do whatever I wanted in my 20's, and then it caught up to me in my 30's. At 39, I started taking care of myself. I plan to be in the best shape of my life before I hit 42. I spent the first half of my life trying to kill myself, and I'm spending the second half trying to live forever lol.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in November. I am in better shape than I ever was in my 30's. But that's because I could do whatever I wanted in my 20's, and then it caught up to me in my 30's. At 39, I started taking care of myself. I plan to be in the best shape of my life before I hit 42. I spent the first half of my life trying to kill myself, and I'm spending the second half trying to live forever lol.

this is me too! I am still 39 for another half year so not yet 40 but knocking on the door. I was always in shape in my 20s, got married and had babies in my early/mid 30s and 1.5 years ago realized i was miserable and fat! I went from 170 (20s) to 260 and am currently 185.

i havent used any diet supplements except for BCAA's and whey isolate protien. all the rest is from eating a good diet and lots of it! no low calorie for me, i get to hangry. it takes time, thats the lesson i learned now, in the past i could restrict and lose instantly my body just bounced back and forth with ease. now i have to stay focused on the end goal as each pound is harder and harder to dissapear, but they do!
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Moving to another city from NY where I get at least 3 miles of walking daily to and from the subway and meetings, changing to management/sedentary job, outdoor activities came to a halt (I struggled to get back to my outdoor sports down here in TX). And, turning 40 when all this came down.

I can't prove the latter is the reason why I gained 13 lbs (or so) in the course of 9 months but I'm definitely sure of this--lack of activities/sports! I got back into the game and lost all the unwanted lbs. Now on maintenance, learning more about proper nutrition and really learning about my body and what it needs. Quest bars don't give me sugar spike, whey isolate powder (I alternate between NOW, Optimum Nutrition, Bluebonnet brands), Lovaza fish oil, Green tea (I alternate with coffee for caffeine source), T.A.G. powder pre/during/post workout (it doesn't give me boost of energy but I noticed I don't get sore 1-2 days post heavy lifting ). NO hydroxycut for me. All of the above is under the guidance of my personal trainer. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    at 42 (almost 43) I currently am in great shape...as good as when I was in the military 23 years ago...I have a desk job as well...but I am not sedentary. I don't email or phone unless I have to ...I get up and go to their office. I get up and go get water, bathroom, house work etc...on average 8k steps a day without exercise.

After that I log faithfully, consistently and accurately (which helped me lost over 50lbs)

For exercise I have been doing resistance training the entire time...since Sept 2013 heavy lifting to help keep my muscle...I incorporated brisk walks and bike rides last year and this year I quit smoking so now I am walking/biking and running and still lifting heavy...

I don't do "odd" things like hydroxcut, or green tea or any of that...I add protein powder to my morning smoothie but that's to hit my protein macro as it 's hard in teh summer to eat bacon and eggs....it's hot.

• 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    at 42 (almost 43) I currently am in great shape...as good as when I was in the military 23 years ago...I have a desk job as well...but I am not sedentary. I don't email or phone unless I have to ...I get up and go to their office. I get up and go get water, bathroom, house work etc...on average 8k steps a day without exercise.

After that I log faithfully, consistently and accurately (which helped me lost over 50lbs)

For exercise I have been doing resistance training the entire time...since Sept 2013 heavy lifting to help keep my muscle...I incorporated brisk walks and bike rides last year and this year I quit smoking so now I am walking/biking and running and still lifting heavy...

I don't do "odd" things like hydroxcut, or green tea or any of that...I add protein powder to my morning smoothie but that's to hit my protein macro as it 's hard in teh summer to eat bacon and eggs....it's hot.

I am 421/2 and struggling with the last lbs. Several knee surgeries after years of running and cardio queen!! I am not doing nothing out of the ordinary in terms of my diet. Overall incorporating more veggies and fruits by drinking green smoothies is a huge help for me and less cardio and more strength training mainly Pilates and working with my own weight. Love to add any of you for support too!!

Best,

Rosie

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    40 going on 41 and I haven't been this fit and healthy since my early 20s...no, I don't have the body I had when I was 22, that would be a completely unrealistic expectation...but that doesn't mean you can't be healthy and fit and feel awesome.

- Eat well
    - Eat in appropriate quantities
    - Exercise regularly...for best results I recommend about a 50/50 split between some moderate cardio activity and some resistance training
    - Move more in general (in my experience this actually has a greater impact than trying to exercise your *kitten* off)
    - Get plenty of rest.

I would also come at this from an overall health and wellness perspective rather than just focusing on this kind of body or that kind of body or some arbitrary weight on the scale that gives you warm and fuzzies. When you do the things you need to be doing for your overall health and wellness...well, in my experience, everything else just tends to fall into place.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    40 going on 41 and I haven't been this fit and healthy since my early 20s...no, I don't have the body I had when I was 22, that would be a completely unrealistic expectation...but that doesn't mean you can't be healthy and fit and feel awesome.

- Eat well
    - Exercise regularly...for best results I recommend about a 50/50 split between some moderate cardio activity and some resistance training
    - Move more in general (in my experience this actually has a greater impact than trying to exercise your *kitten* off)
    - Get plenty of rest.

I would also come at this from an overall health and wellness perspective rather than just focusing on this kind of body or that kind of body or some arbitrary weight on the scale that gives you warm and fuzzies. When you do the things you need to be doing for your overall health and wellness...well, in my experience, everything else just tends to fall into place.

Yup I actually appreciate mine more now..I see they young things running around with the bums that are well...lifted naturally and all I can think is "if only you knew what is going to happen you wouldn't complain about one thing on your body today"...

I appreciate how strong I am and don't take it for granted any more...I am actually glad I am in my 40's...
  • apick2014
    Options
    Love the responses, links, stories & encouragement. Thank you! What a great group:)
  • HollieWould1
    HollieWould1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    apick2014 wrote: »
    Before photo 2013 & after 2015:(
    I can tell this is going to be so easy for you! It won't be too challenging for you to get back into shape at all. Upload your progress pics too. Good luck OP :)
  • Fasttrack2freedom
    Fasttrack2freedom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Almost 39/here . feel free to add me
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

- Eat well
    - Get plenty of rest.

^^yep (except I personally do not o cardio as I hate it).

I would add, find an activity you enjoy - one that keeps you moving but is not exercise for exercise's sake.

I am 47 and while my body is not quite as resilient as it was in my 20's and 30's, I do not have a harder time overall keeping a reasonable BF% than I did before - mainly as I have more knowledge and experience now. The biggest challenge is keeping active outside of lifting - mainly due to lifestyle and circumstances.
  • Jrnegrl66
    Jrnegrl66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Turning 49 next month... Why did I wait so long to figure out that exercise & eating healthy was so easy?! It's all about retraining your mind, body & stomach (lol) it's not rocket science! It's making good choices when eating & exercising (cardio, weights or whatever your into) MFP is a great tool to help with your eating & exercising. I'll never be what I was in my 20's & I'm grateful for that. I'm looking forward to being 50 & fabulous!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50.

It took a while to get in shape enough to do what I considered a vine of exercise.

I was over 100 lbs overweight.

I was told I ate all wrong and too much of it for my low activity level

So it was just some math...

Do more stuff - walking and weight machines at first

Make better food choices - fruit or veggies more and less ice cream or endless bowls of chips and cheese dip!

Food scale purchase!!!

I was sad to see I ate servings the size of what 2-3 people needed. A 1/4 cup of mixed nuts is not a serving! It's a tease!!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Dropped 54lbs since last year

Eat at a calorie defecit

Follow a progressive resistance lifting programme

Move more in general

And don't fall for fads and gimmicks
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am almost 50 and lost 50 pounds in 10 months. I Eat at a calorie defecit, play ice hockey twice a week and lift 2 days a week. Consistantcy was the key for me. It is funny though how the body works. my legs are ripped but I still have that pooch i am trying to get rid of. Age is just a number with hard work we can all get there