Why can't I find a protein powder that isn't gross?

Options

Replies

• mimisecor
    mimisecor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like ISO 100
    All flavours
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try: http://truenutrition.com/

You can custom build your own mix from scratch and try any flavor of your liking. My favorite is peanut butter cup.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    vettegal wrote: »
    UMP is really good. We do vanilla flavor. Mix with ice, water, cocoa powder, dry oats, natural peanut butter for a No-bake cookie shake

This!!! OMG this stuff if amazing! I'm addicted to it and look forward to it every night! Makes great homemade Quest bars as well!
  • Jump4Fitness
    Jump4Fitness Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Allmax Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate - Peanut Butter Chocolate is delicious. I make it with unsweetened almond milk and with strawberries or mango. It tastes fine with just water too! I like the chocolate, but did not like the orange flavor.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Allmax Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate - Peanut Butter Chocolate is delicious. I make it with unsweetened almond milk and with strawberries or mango. It tastes fine with just water too! I like the chocolate, but did not like the orange flavor.

Yeah, but it's like $90++ for a 5 lb. tub.

There comes a point when a few nice, thick, juicy steaks are a far better option.
  • Nipheliem
    Nipheliem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vega one tropical protein shake. Add a half scoop to 20 oz of water or you can do an all on one. Vega chocolate is thee best with a cup of water and a cup of almond milk unsweetened.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I finally found one I could tolerate. I like mixing with water to avoid extra calories. The only one I can tolerate is Dymatize ISO 100 in gourmet chocolate. Only 110 calories and 25 G protein. I mix one scoop with about 5 oz water
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I wanted an unflavored, unsweetened, non-dairy (and so not whey) protein powder and settled on Source Naturals Pea Protein Power which would be blech if I drank it straight, which I don't. I have it in smoothies with peanut butter and banana, fruit, chia seeds, and coconut oil, etc.

bbc8908876bcaedb14cdd34cc1c53f35.png
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love EAS 100% Whey Protein in chocolate - 150 calories and 26g of protein - mixes fine with water and great with unsweetened almond milk (only adds 30 calories/cup)

Don't make the mistake I made and get the EAS "Complete" Protein and try to just mix that with water or almond milk in a shaker - that stuff is gross alone. I think it's the fiber/extra minerals. BUT, it blends well with half a banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a few ice cubes for a nice ~360 calorie breakfast with lots of vitamins and such.

Just depends on how many calories I'm looking to have and how much time I want to spend on prep-work. The 100% is great for throwing the powder/liquid in and shaking up en route.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    danprin1 wrote: »
    Hello! I can't seem to find a protein powder that isn't either chalky or gross tasting...Please help with your favorite protein powders! Thanks!

Trutein. I buy it from bodybuilding.com. Cinnabun is amazing. Pumpkin pie is good. Chocolate peanut butter is good. Haven't tried any others yet.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When I "need" protein powder... I usually pick:

https://reflex-nutrition.com/shop/muscle-strength/one-stop-extreme-best-all-in-one-bodybuilding-supplement

But I seldom need it. I only use it as a perk-me-up when I know i'm struggling.

For every other situation: Eggs.

Ignore the *kitten* about cholesterol in Eggs - the study that was ran that suggested dietary cholesterol goes into blood is rubbish and was spoilt by the fact that the subjects studied ate fatty fried foods alongside eggs... And it's the fat that the liver converts to blood cholesterol.

You can't live with eggs? Chicken.

Veggie? Tofu and/or Mushrooms and/or Beans on Toast (yes, it works!).
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I was new to the supplement game and didn't really know what to look for. I was just looking to boost my daily intake and I didn't know much (and still don't) about the benefits of the more complex formulas. I tried a few samples, but decided being tied down to a single flavor for two lbs of powder didn't appeal to me. As a result I purchased unflavored/natural Designer Whey. It had good reviews & I got it for a steal from Puritan's Pride. (They don't carry it anymore, wah!) But I'm onto my third pound of this protein that I last purchased from Amazon for a pretty decent price.

• danprin1
    danprin1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    danprin1 wrote: »
    Thank you for you're replies! I mix mine with milk and fruit.. I'm new to this so ill try a couple of the suggestions and see how they go!
    I hate all protein powder mixed with milk and fruit.

I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard and RTN Bionic Edge (chocolate), mixed with water & ice or vanilla unsweetened coconut milk beverage.

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong? And I have tried all the protein brands in vanilla because I'm not a big chocolate fan. Maybe if I do almond butter and fruit, ice, and water I will get better results?
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Try strawberry? It's one of the easiest flavours to get right past chocolate. Or banana. Both strong flavours that are easy to get.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    us.canadianprotein.com because I wanted grass-fed whey isolate stevia sweetened for great price. Mixes pretty great. The mint isn't very chocolatey but chocolate whey added fixes that problem.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I buy Body Fortress and I like it. I buy both the vanilla and chocolate. I add a tablespoon of peanut butter to the chocolate one. Delicious!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Try Jay Robb from Whole Foods. It's the only one that I can stomach, and it's sooooo good.

• luketryder23
    luketryder23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Personally taste isn't the big factor when buying whey powders, looking for a clean, high quality, low in sugar/carbs and dairy based whey is the key. Mix with milk and drink in small but more concentrated form couple of times a day
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Gold standard optimum nutrition.. Whey. Even with water tastes spot on. But don't
    Buy the rocky rd it's nasty.
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb Whey Protein. The vanilla flavor is the only one of this brand I have tasted and it's delish!