Low Carb Problem

Options
So once a week I have two back to back days where I reduce my carbohydrate intake to around 50 grams. However getting about 2,000 calories with only 50 grams of carbs is rather difficult for me. I've found that the only options I can rely on are increasing my meat intake, but having 15oz+ of meat in a day, while enjoyable, is making me uneasy. Can anyone offer me any advice or put my mind at ease.

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    This group can help you with answers to your questions

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    My personal suggestion is to ditch low carb if there is no medical need to do so. You don't need to reduce carbs to lose weight. All you need is an overall calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • Gizmo20783
    Gizmo20783 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My personal suggestion is to ditch low carb if there is no medical need to do so. You don't need to reduce carbs to lose weight. All you need is an overall calorie deficit to lose weight.

I agree that's why I only do it twice a week as kinda like a modified carb cycling thing.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Gizmo20783 wrote: »

I agree that's why I only do it twice a week as kinda like a modified carb cycling thing.

Clearly it's not working for you, though. Why not just eat at a deficit, exercise, and call it a day? Weight loss doesn't need to be complicated, and the only cycling you need to do is on a bike, and not with your intake.
  • Gizmo20783
    Options

Clearly it's not working for you, though. Why not just eat at a deficit, exercise, and call it a day? Weight loss doesn't need to be complicated, and the only cycling you need to do is on a bike, and not with your intake.

Clearly huh? Why be insulting and yet not offer any constructive advice about my issue? Instead you question my method even though your opinion about it wasn't asked. Oh wait, it's after midnight and you must be starving. I'll pray for you.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Clearly huh? Why be insulting and yet not offer any constructive advice about my issue? Instead you question my method even though your opinion about it wasn't asked. Oh wait, it's after midnight and you must be starving. I'll pray for you.

You are the one who took offense to a post where none was given. You posted on here saying that eating the amount of meat you'd have to on a low-carb day isn't ideal for you. I offered a suggestion, which is that this doesn't have to be complicated.

The snark is unnecessary as well, nor are your prayers needed.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Seriously though, just because you don't like the advice of "you don't need to carb cycle to lose weight" doesn't mean you have to get all crappy with her. The advice was solid, and if you're not enjoying what you're having to eat when doing your lower carb on the weekend then what is the point? It's not giving you some magical extra weight loss in those 2 days or anything.
  • Gizmo20783
    Options

Seriously though, just because you don't like the advice of "you don't need to carb cycle to lose weight" doesn't mean you have to get all crappy with her. The advice was solid, and if you're not enjoying what you're having to eat when doing your lower carb on the weekend then what is the point? It's not giving you some magical extra weight loss in those 2 days or anything.

However "solid" you consider the advice I considered it irrelevant since it didn't relate to the topic much like your comment.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

However "solid" you consider the advice I considered it irrelevant since it didn't relate to the topic much like your comment.

Well neither did saying you'll pray for someone because they're obviously hungry. Another solid piece of advice you might want to consider, being a total prat to people who give you advice isn't going to do you any favors, and people here tend to remember those who do such things. Good luck getting advice though.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Why Are you cycling carbs?
  • Gizmo20783
    Options
    Why Are you cycling carbs?
    Mainly just experimenting with it to see how my body reacts to it.

• galgenstrick
    Options
    I can tell you that you'll feel weak and lethargic on your low carb days, and even more so if your average carbs are in the low end. Your workouts will suck, and your strength will drop. Low carbs diets should only be used if there is a medical problem that requires it.
  • Gizmo20783
    Options
    I can tell you that you'll feel weak and lethargic on your low carb days, and even more so if your average carbs are in the low end. Your workouts will suck, and your strength will drop. Low carbs diets should only be used if there is a medical problem that requires it.
    But would you consider two low carb days a week and the rest of the week moderate carbs (150-170) a low carb diet? I've done it a few times now and I haven't had any drops in the gym and my energy has remained consistent until it's over.

• galgenstrick
    Options
    But would you consider two low carb days a week and the rest of the week moderate carbs (150-170) a low carb diet? I've done it a few times now and I haven't had any drops in the gym and my energy has remained consistent until it's over.

150-170 seems low to me too for a 2000 calorie diet. How much do you weigh? What is your current goal weight?
  • Gizmo20783
    Options

Whut. First of all she did offer constructive criticism, and good advice. Second...whut? After midnight? Must be starving? That literally makes no sense.

Feel better?

• Gizmo20783
    Options

150-170 seems low to me too for a 2000 calorie diet. How much do you weigh? What is your current goal weight?

6'5 310. My goals hover around 240-250 over the next 18 months.

• galgenstrick
    Options

Do you know your TDEE? Low or moderate carbs will not help you lose weight any faster. I would try to keep carbs as high as possible while hitting your protein goal (should be around 180grams) and fat goal (about 20-25% of your calories). A lot of it is preference though, so if you feel better on low carbs, then that might help you stick to the plan. But if you feel better on low carbs, I would see a dr, maybe you have something else going on, because I can't imagine anyone without a medical concern would feel better on that low of carbs.
  • Gizmo20783
    Options

Do you know your TDEE? Low or moderate carbs will not help you lose weight any faster. I would try to keep carbs as high as possible while hitting your protein goal (should be around 180grams) and fat goal (about 20-25% of your calories). A lot of it is preference though, so if you feel better on low carbs, then that might help you stick to the plan. But if you feel better on low carbs, I would see a dr, maybe you have something else going on, because I can't imagine anyone without a medical concern would feel better on that low of carbs.

Honestly, I eat pretty well with 150C and it's fairly sustainable without me feeling deprived so unless it's going to help me lose weight faster I don't see a reason to increase it.