Low Carb Problem

Options
13»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Gizmo20783 wrote: »

Just for clarrification; are you saying that I shouldn't strive for 2,000? I should go below?

Indeed, if you're over 30 BMI (36 at least I think ?) then don't put effort into eating 300 extra calories to get to 2000 when you could use 300 cals of fat off your body instead.
  • Gizmo20783
    Gizmo20783 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Just for clarrification; are you saying that I shouldn't strive for 2,000? I should go below?

Indeed, if you're over 30 BMI (36 at least I think ?) then don't put effort into eating 300 extra calories to get to 2000 when you could use 300 cals of fat off your body instead.

You do have a point however as someone else mentioned I don't want to lose any muscle gains espcially because I lift.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Depends how patient you are and your priorities. There isn't a linear relationship between calorie intake and muscle loss especially if you have a good protein intake and resistance train.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

You do have a point however as someone else mentioned I don't want to lose any muscle gains espcially because I lift.

If you don't want to see muscle loss while dieting there are a couple of strategies:

- Keep deficits small - the larger the deficit the larger the catabolic effect - Losing 1-1.5% of bodyweight per week seems to be a reasonable upper limit. Some people suffer even at those rates.

- Protein sparing effect of dietary protein and carbs. The body needs protein to function, if it isn't in your diet it is going to borrow it from the local storage, your muscle. That's kind of obvious - less so, is the reason why carbs are protein sparing - if you low carb - you body still needs carbs, albeit less if you are in ketosis (which in your 2 day cycling and at 150 g, you likely aren't) those carbs are taken from diet, from glucagon storage in muscle and liver, and also made by the liver in a process called gluconeogenesis which uses amino acids from protein sources (and lactate). Those protein sources can either be dietary or... your body. Not enough carbs, protein is used to make them.

- Keep lifting - obviously has positive impact during weight loss. No need to go into details. Monitor your energy levels. Adjust.

My concern with low cals is finding the right balance for the haul (both in terms of macros but also general nutrition) that doesn't create issues in performance (exercise, life, bed) - big cuts increase risks of keeping at it (sometimes people find the too hard), gallstones, mood, energy, hormonal issues, etc. At 2K calories the risk are very small but if you are eating (really well logged and certain) at significantly less, it's something to consider. Make sure your nutrition is dialed.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

You might want to go read this:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index

Doing LC only 2 of 7 days isn't really going to do much aside from up the chances of you getting LC flu once a week, unless you're being careful to follow all the LC rules those 2 days, too. Since you're having trouble hitting 2k on those days, it sounds like you're not following the rules that closely. Generally speaking, the split on CKD is 5 days on, 2 days off, not 5 off, 2 on.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    increase good fats