Options

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Gizmo20783 wrote: »
    I can tell you that you'll feel weak and lethargic on your low carb days, and even more so if your average carbs are in the low end. Your workouts will suck, and your strength will drop. Low carbs diets should only be used if there is a medical problem that requires it.
    But would you consider two low carb days a week and the rest of the week moderate carbs (150-170) a low carb diet? I've done it a few times now and I haven't had any drops in the gym and my energy has remained consistent until it's over.

150-170 seems low to me too for a 2000 calorie diet. How much do you weigh? What is your current goal weight?

6'5 310. My goals hover around 240-250 over the next 18 months.

Do you know your TDEE? Low or moderate carbs will not help you lose weight any faster. I would try to keep carbs as high as possible while hitting your protein goal (should be around 180grams) and fat goal (about 20-25% of your calories). A lot of it is preference though, so if you feel better on low carbs, then that might help you stick to the plan. But if you feel better on low carbs, I would see a dr, maybe you have something else going on, because I can't imagine anyone without a medical concern would feel better on that low of carbs.

Honestly, I eat pretty well with 150C and it's fairly sustainable without me feeling deprived so unless it's going to help me lose weight faster I don't see a reason to increase it.

If your fats are very high, then it's possible that increasing carbs and lowering fat will help it go faster due to the higher thermic effect of carbs vs fats. It would probably not be noticeable though.

If you're feeling good at 150 carbs, then I'd say stick with that, but don't cycle them, that won't really serve any purpose.
  • Gizmo20783
    Gizmo20783 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that you'll feel weak and lethargic on your low carb days, and even more so if your average carbs are in the low end. Your workouts will suck, and your strength will drop. Low carbs diets should only be used if there is a medical problem that requires it.
    But would you consider two low carb days a week and the rest of the week moderate carbs (150-170) a low carb diet? I've done it a few times now and I haven't had any drops in the gym and my energy has remained consistent until it's over.

150-170 seems low to me too for a 2000 calorie diet. How much do you weigh? What is your current goal weight?

Do you know your TDEE? Low or moderate carbs will not help you lose weight any faster. I would try to keep carbs as high as possible while hitting your protein goal (should be around 180grams) and fat goal (about 20-25% of your calories). A lot of it is preference though, so if you feel better on low carbs, then that might help you stick to the plan. But if you feel better on low carbs, I would see a dr, maybe you have something else going on, because I can't imagine anyone without a medical concern would feel better on that low of carbs.

Honestly, I eat pretty well with 150C and it's fairly sustainable without me feeling deprived so unless it's going to help me lose weight faster I don't see a reason to increase it.

If your fats are very high, then it's possible that increasing carbs and lowering fat will help it go faster due to the higher thermic effect of carbs vs fats. It would probably not be noticeable though.

If you're feeling good at 150 carbs, then I'd say stick with that, but don't cycle them, that won't really serve any purpose.

Well I've already set it up for today and Friday so I'll just do them this time and stick with my normal routine thereafter. I use a 150C 70F 175P combination and it's sustainable which is important for me. What do you think?
  • Gizmo20783
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You've done what a few times? Carb cycling?
    A modified version of it yes.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

First of all, 150-170 is not low. It is barely in the moderate carb category. And on the two days he does 50, lots of people do less than that every day with no problem...for years at a time. He says he feels fine with those levels, and it seems to me he knows best when it comes to his body.

I try to keep carbs under 100 every day, and sometimes I get down around 50 as well. I have no medical issues...no diabetes, no pre-diabetes, no abnormal test results. I just feel much better eating that way. I have more energy overall, and don't get big energy swings like I used to get when I ate more carbs. I also get no cravings and am rarely hungry.

So your advice that low carb (and I would NOT call his overall diet low carb) diets should only be used if there is a medical problem is just plain wrong.

Gizmo, the advice to eat more fat is good advice. There is nothing wrong with the meat, and if you choose fatty cuts you are likely already getting a good dose of fat with that. Most people doing low carb diets, especially once they get down to 50 and below, do eat more fat to compensate. So put some cream in your coffee, have some cheese, butter, peanut butter, avocado, whatever you like. Or just stick with the meat. I don't think that will do any harm unless you just don't like eating that much of it. And check out the low carb group someone linked above...lots of people there who can answer specific questions.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Well I've already set it up for today and Friday so I'll just do them this time and stick with my normal routine thereafter. I use a 150C 70F 175P combination and it's sustainable which is important for me. What do you think?

How did you determine 2000 calories per day. That seems low to me. Was that what MFP gave you? Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • Gizmo20783
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

First of all, 150-170 is not that low. It is barely in the moderate carb category. And on the two days he does 50, lots of people do less than that every day with no problem...for years at a time. He says he feels fine with those levels, and it seems to me he knows best when it comes to his body.

I try to keep carbs under 100 every day, and sometimes I get down around 50 as well. I have no medical issues...no diabetes, no pre-diabetes, no abnormal test results. I just feel much better eating that way. I have more energy overall, and don't get big energy swings like I used to get when I ate more carbs. I also get no cravings and am rarely hungry.

So your advice that low carb (and I would NOT call his overall diet low carb) diets should only be used if there is a medical problem is just plain wrong.

Gizmo, the advice to eat more fat is good advice. There is nothing wrong with the meat, and if you choose fatty cuts you are likely already getting a good dose of fat with that. Most people doing low carb diets, especially once they get down to 50 and below, do eat more fat to compensate. So put some cream in your coffee, have some cheese, butter, peanut butter, avocado, whatever you like. Or just stick with the meat. I don't think that will do any harm unless you just don't like eating that much of it. And check out the low carb group someone linked above...lots of people there who can answer specific questions.

I trully appreciate the great advice and thank you.
  • Gizmo20783
    Options

How did you determine 2000 calories per day. That seems low to me. Was that what MFP gave you? Are you eating back exercise calories?

Well MFP gave me like 2250 something around that and I keep that as my maximum but I rarely ever hit it. Eating back calories is too complicated espcially when trying to determine how many I've burned so I never eat them back.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Well MFP gave me like 2250 something around that and I keep that as my maximum but I rarely ever hit it. Eating back calories is too complicated espcially when trying to determine how many I've burned so I never eat them back.

Well, since you're into experimenting, I would recommend running an experiment by trying to hit that 2250 calories by adding more carbs like pasta or bread or whatever and keeping your proteins and fats like you have them. Then you will have a direct comparison on which diet you prefer. In the end, it's really just what makes you feel the best and what you can stick to. There are certain guidelines for proteins and fats, but carbs aren't essential for survival, so you can be pretty flexible with them. The exception is If you're working on increasing strength in the gym, then I wouldn't recommend cutting them too low ever.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    In my experience, carb cycling involves calorie cycling.... So your lowered carbs are creating a bigger deficit. Fat and protein remain the same. This is counterbalanced by a "high day" where carbs are increased (along with cals).

Over the week your intake is the same, but you get varying calorie intake. I don't get how your system is of any benefit....
  • Gizmo20783
    Options
    You've done what a few times? Carb cycling?
    A modified version of it yes.

And how much did you lose those times you did it? You are 310 lbs now, how much did you weigh the times you did that?

Well I've lost about 16lbs but I can't be sure how much of that I can attrbibute to cycling.
  • Gizmo20783
    Options

Well, since you're into experimenting, I would recommend running an experiment by trying to hit that 2250 calories by adding more carbs like pasta or bread or whatever and keeping your proteins and fats like you have them. Then you will have a direct comparison on which diet you prefer. In the end, it's really just what makes you feel the best and what you can stick to. There are certain guidelines for proteins and fats, but carbs aren't essential for survival, so you can be pretty flexible with them. The exception is If you're working on increasing strength in the gym, then I wouldn't recommend cutting them too low ever.

I wouldn't mind adding in more carbs however I just thought that the bigger the deficite the faster I would lose. I mean I'm patient but if I have a large sustainable deficite what are the benefits of making it smaller?
  • Gizmo20783
    Options
    Gustaaf85 wrote: »
    Tried this low carb thing for a month or 2. But i can tell you, i am NEVER gonna do that EVER again, unless there would be medical reasons for it.

Man i felt tired and weak all the time. Where i could normally workout 2 hours i now was tired after 30-40 minuts.
    Even my small cycle to work which is about 15 minuts i took 20-25 minuts to complete and felt tired afterwards

For your carbs, on 2000 i think 150-170 is indeed low. My intake on 1700 is about 170-180 carbs a day.
    On 2000 that would get me another 40-50 extra carbs

Also i did not lose more weight in those 2 months then i did the months before

So my advice (please do not mistake this for critisism) is stop the moderated carb cycle and just eat the same as you do rest of the week but up your carb intake to at least 200 with 2000 a day

Thank you. I think I'm starting to see the light on it. :D

• galgenstrick
    Options

I wouldn't mind adding in more carbs however I just thought that the bigger the deficite the faster I would lose. I mean I'm patient but if I have a large sustainable deficite what are the benefits of making it smaller?

If you make your deficit too large it will be difficult maintain your current muscle mass. In other words, you will lose a lot of fat and a lot of muscle if you're not eating enough and training properly. So when you get to your goal weight, you'll still just look fat, and weak.

You can probably get away with 2lbs a week of weight loss, and maybe even 3lbs a week since you have a lot to lose still. But you'll want to slow that down a bit once you get closer to your goal.
  • Gizmo20783
    Options

If you make your deficit too large it will be difficult maintain your current muscle mass. In other words, you will lose a lot of fat and a lot of muscle if you're not eating enough and training properly. So when you get to your goal weight, you'll still just look fat, and weak.

You can probably get away with 2lbs a week of weight loss, and maybe even 3lbs a week since you have a lot to lose still. But you'll want to slow that down a bit once you get closer to your goal.

Knew there had to be a downside. Well okay I'll start hitting my caloric goals and will increase my carbs incrementally .
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Knew there had to be a downside. Well okay I'll start hitting my caloric goals and will increase my carbs incrementally .

You're gonna do great, keep at it
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    2000 cals with 200 from carbs leaves 1800.

150g of protein gives you 600.

Leaving 1200 from fats and oils. 133 grams. Entirely achievable, eat nuts for fat, add mayo or oil dressings to veg / salads etc. Fat is your friend. Stop eating lean meat and reduced fat options.

PS If you're over 250 lbs you don't need to be pushing yourself to eat 2000 calories.
  • Gizmo20783
    Options

You're gonna do great, keep at it

Thanks man.

• Gizmo20783
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    2000 cals with 200 from carbs leaves 1800.

150g of protein gives you 600.

Leaving 1200 from fats and oils. 133 grams. Entirely achievable, eat nuts for fat, add mayo or oil dressings to veg / salads etc. Fat is your friend. Stop eating lean meat and reduced fat options.

PS If you're over 250 lbs you don't need to be pushing yourself to eat 2000 calories.

Just for clarrification; are you saying that I shouldn't strive for 2,000? I should go below?