Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    here is the list:

Cakes, cookies, pastries, and donuts (contain both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sodas, energy drinks, sports drinks, and fruit drinks (contain added sugars)
    Cheese (contains solid fat)
    Pizza (contains solid fat)
    Ice cream (contains both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sausages, hot dogs, bacon, and ribs (contain solid fat)

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.

Which...IMO...is a dumb definition.

cosigned
  • SamZ10
    SamZ10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been having trouble with cutting junk food out of my diet. I tried to only eat junk food in moderation. I also tried to make sure it fit my macros, but that eventually led to more craving and overeating. Now I'm back to square one. What method did you guys use to cut junk food out of your diet? What foods did you substitute for junk food?

My biggest struggle is my sweet tooth!! I read the book "It Starts With Food", it's really a book that goes over the "whys" of cravings etc. I HIGHLY recommending the read and going at it for 30 days. I finished my first WHole 30 on the 5th and yes, I did eat some things right away that I thought I really wanted but honestly, my cravings are almost completely gone and moderation isn't a problem anymore. I had a bunch of other great side effects too, like my energy was up, eczema was almost gone, and I felt great.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    here is the list:

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.

ok - so ice cream is empty because solid fat, really???

By their definition it would contain empty calories.

ETA: Unless maybe it were fat free sugar free ice cream :s

Not arguing with you, because I know it's not your definition...

"Empty" to me would imply, serving no purpose. IOW...it does absolutely nothing except add calories.

Fat (solid or otherwise) is an important macronutrient. It also gives texture to food.
    Sugar (added or otherwise) is a carb - an important macronutrient. It makes food taste delicious.

Neither to me fits MY definition of "empty"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    here is the list:

Yeah, I would agree. Though honestly, it's better than a lot of crap you read regarding nutrition.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    here is the list:

Yeah, I would agree. Though honestly, it's better than a lot of crap you read regarding nutrition.

LOL that's a pretty low bar to set!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    here is the list:

LOL that's a pretty low bar to set!

Indeed it is. But, maybe that's why the government tries to dumb it down so much. Advice for the lowest common denominator, so to speak.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I do a mixture of cutting things out completely, moderating others, and substituting. Certain foods I will never want to deprive myself of because it will lead me back to poor eating habits if I feel psychologically stressed by not eating them. Pizza is a great example, and it's also easy to moderate since I can just buy a slice or two, or a personal pizza, instead of a large pizza.

An example of substitution is if I get a sweet tooth I usually get a roll of Sweet Tarts, which is only 150 calories and lasts a long time, instead of a 450 calories king size Snickers that I can eat in 30 seconds. Neither the Sweet Tarts nor the Snickers usually satisfy actual hunger, contrary to the commercials, so it's all about satisfying a craving for me without breaking the calorie bank. Other people mentioned substituting ingredients to make lower calorie things like tacos, which is also something I do.

I gave up a few foods because I honestly couldn't regulate them, but I can do without them. An example for me is cookies. I could eat a whole package of Oreos or 10 chocolate chip homemade cookies easily, and just don't have the willpower to regulate. If I felt deprived though, I'd work on moderation for cookies, but I'm not missing them. You just have to know that if you do start missing them, they're not bad in and of themselves, and you can always buy them and try to fit them into your calorie goal without feeling guilty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been having trouble with cutting junk food out of my diet. I tried to only eat junk food in moderation. I also tried to make sure it fit my macros, but that eventually led to more craving and overeating. Now I'm back to square one. What method did you guys use to cut junk food out of your diet? What foods did you substitute for junk food?

don't keep it in the house...if it's not there, you're not going to eat it...EZPZ

This is basically what I'm doing with beer and alcohol in general...I'm not drinking during the week so I just don't keep the stuff in my house and I save my indulgences for the weekend. If I kept a 12 pack in my fridge like I used to, I'd most likely say *kitten* it and just pop a few tops after work. Not having it in the house means there's no tops to pop in the first place.

That sounds easy enough, but it may not be so simple. I find that when I don't keep stuff in the house, but lack the willpower in the store to not buy something like a package of Little Debbie Snack Cakes, or something, the package end ups staying out on the table rather than having a place hidden away somewhere, and I end up going back to the package when I want something to eat. But if I already have something sweet at home, I might tell myself that I don't need to buy whatever it is, and even if I do buy it, it is just one more thing that I'm consuming in moderation.

I'm all for moderation and I can consume many "junk" food type of items in moderation. But there are other things for which I tend to lose self control. I do not, for example, keep potato chips or tortilla chips in my home, nor do I buy them...the only time I partake is at a BBQ or camping or something...and on those occasions I'm not really worried about moderation too much. I seriously can't eat a small handful of tortilla chips though...when I get my hands on those things, they're going down.
  • micymarie
    micymarie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Moderation isn't really one of my strong suits so I've found it easier to just not buy or eat the unhealthy things i crave. Instead I've learned to make healthy substitutes that are surprisingly satisfying. I keep vegan desserts on hand most of the time for when I'm craving something sweet. They're great because they taste amazing and they consist of mostly nuts and fruit and some sort of sweeter whether you use honey/agave/maple syrup or whatever else you'd like. Granted its still dessert, yes. It's sugary, but its definitely better than that box of cookies. As for other snacks theres all sorts of ways to season and prepare veggies to be crunchy and flavorful like chips and whatnot. There are things you just can't replace, but in that case i just remember that its not worth it and there are worse things than not being able to have that grilled cheese i want.
  • shaliyahdixon
    shaliyahdixon Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wasn't expecting so many responses on this!! Thanks for all the advice, you guys ☺️ By "junk food", I was referring to chips, candy, and ice cream. The people I live with are constantly buying this stuff.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wasn't expecting so many responses on this!! Thanks for all the advice, you guys ☺️ By "junk food", I was referring to chips, candy, and ice cream. The people I live with are constantly buying this stuff.

Do you take things that don't belong to you that aren't food? You might find it helpful to view this food as off limits because it belongs to someone else. Ask the owners to put it away in a cabinet or in their room. Get yourself some tasty things that fit your goals.
    I live with people who eat candy, chips, ice cream, etc too. I have set aside some things for myself like granola bars and popcorn. I also eat food I really enjoy every day so I don't feel like I am missing out.
  • shaliyahdixon
    shaliyahdixon Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I live with family.. I don't steal anything from anyone.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options

Yeah, and it can be tough when they offer it to you or when they are all eating it.

I guess my suggestion in those situations would be to have an alternative. For example, if they are eating ice cream, have some low-cal yogurt. Or if you can, find some low-cal ice cream (such things don't seem to exist here in Australia, but I'm sure I've seen some in Canada).

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

When I was living with people (family), I didn't have this problem because their junk (chocolate mixed with "orange" or other (real) fruit) just grossed me out anyway, and I didn't buy or keep my style of junk in the house. I also, honestly, persuaded them to eat my way. Which was easy, as I did the groceries and cooking, and who's going to say no to steak?
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Also, fill up on your stuff, make it as satiating as possible (protein, fat, fiber).

Also if you eat lower carb/GI/whole foods for a while, chips taste nasty, you're more aware of the plasticky / greasy aftertaste

Sub for ice cream: berries and whipped cream. Sub for chips: having real potatoes with dinner. Candy, I don't know because that was never my thing, maybe frozen grapes?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Do you take things that don't belong to you that aren't food? You might find it helpful to view this food as off limits because it belongs to someone else. Ask the owners to put it away in a cabinet or in their room. Get yourself some tasty things that fit your goals.
    I live with people who eat candy, chips, ice cream, etc too. I have set aside some things for myself like granola bars and popcorn. I also eat food I really enjoy every day so I don't feel like I am missing out.

I don't think you meant that in the way that it has come out.....

What does stealing other things have to do with food sharing among family members?

• tomatoey
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I don't think you meant that in the way that it has come out.....

What does stealing other things have to do with food sharing among family members?

I think they're saying to reframe it, to view food more as personal property, so as to create more of a feeling of taboo. Not. So much that it should be that way, just that it might help
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    My method is to avoid it like the plague. I don't go past those aisles in the stores, I avoid the junk machines at work, hell, I'll cross the road to avoid a donut shop. (and before you laugh at me, folks, it has worked. I am at goal.) I do not bring empty calorie items into the house. If husband wants to eat that stuff... and the doctor tells him not to, mind you, but if he still wants to, he can go out to an establishment that serves them and eat them there. The last time I found a low quality icky empty calorie item in my fridge I threw it away and took the trash right out to the dumpster. No more such items have appeared. That said, try frozen fruit smoothies. Strawberries are pretty low cal. Throw frozen strawberries in the food processor with some lowfat milk and a little vanilla. Optionally a frozen banana too if you like them. for 16 oz of this it will be about 200 calories. You don't need to add sugar. Process to the consistency of soft serve and eat with spoon, or add more liquid and drink as a fruit shake.

Notice in advance: I am not going to get sidetracked by ppl looking for arguments into a debate about what constitutes empty calories. This is the official definition and is my only word on the subject. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html

Thanks for the link! I'm with you.

Congrats at making goal!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

I've found the less sugar I eat, the less I want it. I look at the carb:fat:protein content of every meal and save high carb/low protein for my night-time snack.

I pre-log and see what I can tweak to get the protein up in relation to the carbs and fat.

Sometimes when I want ice cream or chocolate, I'll have a chocolate smoothie with frozen raspberries instead.

I still can't keep an open container of ice cream around, but I am able to live with the mini cups in the freezer for weeks on end.

Last week, I made an ounce of Fritos last four days - I was actually able to have a few one day, and a few the next, which astonished me. Will see what happens at TOM, lol. These are in the house at my fiance's request and kept where I can't see them or reach them without a stool, but I'd made myself an ounce portion for a picnic lunch and they were around.

Will your family members agree to keep your trigger foods out of site? Hide ice cream in bags in the back of the freezer, etc?