Replies

• bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Tomatos, herbs, cucumbers, beans, carrots and romaine
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I'm growing a bush.

LOL, This is why I love reading these blogs, I get my USDA recommended daily laughter
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Tomatoes
    Green beans
    Okra
    Rosemary
    Peppers
    Basil
    Mint
    Aloe Vera
    Thyme
    Lavendar
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    My husband and I have a few gardens growing this year. We have our herb garden with sage, rosemary, basil, thyme, a bay tree, and oregano. Then we have two separate vegetable gardens with carrots, corn, yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, peas, tomatoes (cherries, big boy, and one other type I can't remember what it is), potatoes, cucumbers, jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, and bell peppers. And last the fruit garden has strawberries, blueberries (along the edge), cantaloupe, and watermelon all growing around a mulberry tree and a pecan tree.

The tomatoes are slowly starting to make, so I'll be making no batter fried green tomatoes soon, and our squash and zucchini are making faster than we expected. The corn is starting to grow little cobs, so they're be ready soon. And all of our fruit plants are blooming little flowers on them.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    We're growing tomatoes, red peppers, basil, rosemary, parsley and cilantro. We have tomatoes starting now and my basil and cilantro are out of control. Unfortunately I have a baby rabbit living under my shed that likes my pepper plants. I need to do something to keep him out of them.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    I have a staggering collection of dandelions.

I should start harvesting them to produce beverages.

Or perhaps buy a rabbit to eat them. Maybe a goat... Homegrown dandelion-reared mutton curry?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    We're growing tomatoes, red peppers, basil, rosemary, parsley and cilantro. We have tomatoes starting now and my basil and cilantro are out of control. Unfortunately I have a baby rabbit living under my shed that likes my pepper plants. I need to do something to keep him out of them.

Can you fence them in? Rabbits can't jump very high so you'd only need about 6 in high fence, but they can and will dig under so you'd need to also bury about 6 inches.
  • YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Definitely always have a garden. Just planted all our seeds and won't see anything from it until end of July. I'll be planting lettuce, tomatoes, spinach and herbs in planters from the greenhouse for a head start. We don't have much of a growing season here.
  • MonsoonStorm

Can you fence them in? Rabbits can't jump very high so you'd only need about 6 in high fence, but they can and will dig under so you'd need to also bury about 6 inches.

completely untrue

you'd need a whole lot more than 6 inches.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    All I've pulled so far is basil. But I have the following going.

Tomato
    Basil
    Sweet Banana Pepper
    Hot Banana Pepper
    Jalapeno
    Habanero
    Eggplant
    Zucchini

Doubt there will be much harvest prior to Late July / August. The main bulk of the tomato plants come in early Sept - first frost for me.
  • mossiejoe
    mossiejoe Posts: 6 Member
    I am the Garden coordinator for our local community garden.... I have baby pak choy, kale, spinach ready. Peas, kohlrabi, beans, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet and thai basil, swiss chard, tomatillos, onions are growing away. Very excited about harvest and all the new gardeners we have on board this year, Plus it's a kick *kitten* workout -weeding, watering, shoveling, raking, etc. Great stress reliever.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

completely untrue

you'd need a whole lot more than 6 inches.

Under or above ground? Above, I'm going totally by what I've read in gardening forums. My fences are 5 ft high to keep deer out. But 6 inches under has always kept the burrowers out for me.
  • originalkelli
    originalkelli Posts: 20 Member
    Tomatoes from the garden are the bomb.com! Peppers, broccoli, spinach, basil, carrots, garlic, onions, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, (new plant so prob win't fruit this year) cucumbers, parsley, and anything else I can fit!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, peas, green beans, basil, carrots, watermelon... pumpkin and cauliflower later. Well, it's the plan, but we haven't had much luck with anything growing so far :( My husband planted everything in April and we got a freeze that week end that killed off most of them. We'll see... Last year we got a ton of tomatoes and yellow squash.
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    planted- tomato, peppers, herbs, strawberries, cabbage, watermelon and Cantaloupe, onions, radishes and i forget what else lol figure I will find out when it grows
  • MonsoonStorm
    Above. Rabbits are very capable jumpers. Mine could easily jump a 3ft wall.

I never tried stopping them digging so I'm no help there.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    This is my first year growing anything other than flowers. The annual herbs are coming to the end of their lives and I'm prepping to replant for a late summer/fall harvest.
    Herbs - Basil, lemon balm, rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram, Cuban oregano, parsley, shiso, chocolate mint, spearmint, and aloe
    2 papaya and 2 pineapple, primarily for landscaping
    serrano peppers - starting to harvest
    habanero - the insects always get them before I can
    and 11 tomatoes - 2 Brandywine, 3 Cherokee purple, 1 patio (a mutant because it was a baby I took out of my mother's garden out of curiosity, so not sure what I'm going to get), 1 large orange one of unknown variety (popped up with the serrano), 1 Early Girl, 1 Heatmaster, 1 Husky Red dwarf cherry, and 1 Roma. I have well over 100 green tomatoes, and some are starting to change color now.

I grew almost all of it from seed, except the chocolate mint, Cuban oregano (from a cutting), pineapple, aloe and 3 hybrid tomatoes I picked up at Home Depot late in the season in case my late-harvest heirlooms fail.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    carakirkey wrote: »
    bbontheb wrote: »
    We live in BC so not too hot yet. But we have growing:

Blueberries (on the bushes but not ripe yet)
    Strawberries
    Rhubarb
    Peach tree
    few raspberries
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Zucchini
    Different types of thyme, parsley, sage, basil (just transplanted), chives, oregano, mints....probably more herbs.
    Swiss chard.
    From seed: spinach, lettuces (a big mix), magentaspreen, amaranth, sorrel , other mixed greens, carrots, onion (for green onion), peas, radish, kale.
    Potatoes in a big potato bin made from pallets.
    Not nearly enough room to plant what I would want to.
    Flowers: calendula, nasturtium, zinnia, cosmos.

Starting tonight/tomorrow: Green beans (pole)

Would like to still plant: rosemary, more thyme and curly parsley, hot peppers to make my own sweet chili sauce, pac choi/bok choy, dill, lavender,

Never having in any garden of mine: cilantro

I'm in BC too- interior. Im jealous of your garden- sounds fabulous! Curious why no cilantro? Too hard to grow?

Haha. No, because all cilantro should wilt up and die off this earth for good. LOL. I vomit if I taste it. No lie.

I don't have space to grow squash but that would be my other must have. I love squash-butternut, spaghetti, acorn...any of them. Mmmm.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    I only have tomatoes planted so far. I'm going to buy a few more plants this weekend. I got a late start and contimplated not having a garden at all this yea. I think it will still be okay to start this late.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Everyone's gardens sound great. I'm starting out with a small one this year. Tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, cucumber and watermelon. If all goes well I would like to expand it next year. I would love to grow some berries.