Options

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear that people find this thread helpful! Hopefully at some point this thread and the calorie counting 101 thread will be stickies again.

If we had a poll feature, I'd vote for it!

I can't believe they replaced a useful, step by step thread with one full of disjointed nuggets like "take the stairs." I mean, what the actual *kitten*?

Don't forget:
    cut out bread and pasta
    drink lots and lots of water
    eat an apple every day
    don't eat fruit
    don't eat anything white
    switch to diet soda
    don't drink diet soda
    eat breakfast
    skip breakfast
    eat snacks
    don't snack
    avoid calorie dense foods like peanut butter
    eat low calorie treats like peanut butter
    go to bed hungry

Yeah, I didn't get that far... I got to post #3 and thought "*kitten*, this is worthless."

I'm even sadder now that I know it's full of people's *kitten*, contradicting opinions. How is that helpful to a newbie? If I started off with that thread, I'd get overwhelmed and confused, leave, and never come back.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the "Tip" thread could possibly be helpful if they screened what posts get put in it. It's just random stuff, most being not even true or helpful. Weird.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Yeah, the "Tip" thread could possibly be helpful if they screened what posts get put in it. It's just random stuff, most being not even true or helpful. Weird.

I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't turned into a dumpster fire yet.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    This thread: Begins with a solid OP full of vital, step by step info and is then monitored by the OP who absolutely knows her stuff and understands how to handle questions and detracting posts, resulting in a brilliant thread which consistently offers sage advice without all the conflicting gobbledygook you find in so many other threads.

The new sticky: Begins with a question about tips and tricks and is then answered by several conflicting and ill-informed posts, resulting in a thread which could easily confuse new members and prove to be more confounding than it is helpful.

The rationale for the switch: bgjgjkvtdsvbjujuytrewwqasdcfxrsdgjju
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You want to lose belly fat and have a nice flat toned mid section? We see that a lot on this site. Hell, that was my goal for my birthday last year. We all want to be able to take our shirt off at the pool or beach and look great, but how do we do it?

1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.

3. Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts.

4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

5. Patience! It is not going to happen overnight. If you stick with it you could lose around 1% body fat a month. We aren't going to be perfect all the time. Enjoy birthdays and holidays. It is life and things will happen. Don't stress, learn to love the process.

FINALLY: Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to. Keep working at it! It is possible!

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    This thread: Begins with a solid OP full of vital, step by step info and is then monitored by the OP who absolutely knows her stuff and understands how to handle questions and detracting posts, resulting in a brilliant thread which consistently offers sage advice without all the conflicting gobbledygook you find in so many other threads.

The new sticky: Begins with a question about tips and tricks and is then answered by several conflicting and ill-informed posts, resulting in a thread which could easily confuse new members and prove to be more confounding than it is helpful.

I agree. If I was starting this journey and took that new stickied post as expert, I would be so confused, I would quit after the first month. How could anyone follow all those random recommendations?
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sigh...when I came back to MFP 3 months ago it was threads like this one that gave me hope and set me on the right path finally. There was previously so many conflicting, nonsense threads out there. I never knew who to believe but once I came back and saw threads like this one I thought ok! MFP has got it together now and there are some credible sources here to help sort through all of the convoluted nonsense. I feel sorry for the newbies. They will be going in circles once again just like I did...thanks again usmcmp
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love this post!

I do have a question, I'm lifting 2-3 times a week at home (following SL 5x5) but having no squat rack, I'm doing goblet/ front squats, and struggling with the OHP. Also some lighter cardio and circuits with dumbbells while working on form.
    I started shifting over to weights about 8 weeks ago, so don't expect too much of a difference. But, I've lost about 2 inches in my waist and I swear it is looking worse (inner thighs are the same- lost an inch, getting a softer layer of fat. I wanted to get down to about 120-123 , no lower, and then re-comp, but I'm around 125-126 now. Started at 134 or so in March.

All of this to ask, if this is a normal progression, to get softer before it goes? I'm at a 250 cal deficit, and the cardio is for buffer in case I'm off on calories, and I'm just more hungry. Still tweaking the macros. Honestly I'd be okay if the weight is slow to come off or I just leaned out, I'm aiming for loss of fat. Any advice is appreciated.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

*applause*

It is a decision with no possible merit ...stickies should be generally useful points of information that noobs can be directed to when they ask the same question

And the ridiculous fluffy phrase "super helpful" fills my head with so much snark I may well explode

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Why is this not a sticky any more? Not to make place for the tips and tricks thread?!
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    " Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts."

Still not clear on this. How do I figure out what my lean mass is?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why is this not a sticky any more? Not to make place for the tips and tricks thread?!
    Maybe it's like people that say to switch exercise or eating times to "confuse your body" or "trick it".

Okay, so since we are all agreement as to the questionable decision regarding this change, has anyone contacted the moderators about it? If so, I missed it. Just curious.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Maybe it's like people that say to switch exercise or eating times to "confuse your body" or "trick it".

Okay, so since we are all agreement as to the questionable decision regarding this change, has anyone contacted the moderators about it? If so, I missed it. Just curious.

A moderator responded to this post on the page before this.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It's safe to say a few of us have voiced our opinion here.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    " Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts."

Still not clear on this. How do I figure out what my lean mass is?
    Short of getting a DEXA scan, bodpod measurement, or hydro-static weighing? I'd suggest using a tape measure and a scale to estimate it using a calculator like
    weightrainer.net/circbf.html