Should I eliminate aspartame from my life? My Doctor says yes!

Options

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think it's going to vary from individual to individual. I drink 1-2 cans of Diet Mt Dew a day and since I've joined MFP almost 3 weeks ago, I'm down 10.8 lbs, and I lost 8 lbs prior to joining. Some people are more sensitive to aspartame than others. I've tried cutting it out completely before and I saw no difference in my weight loss progress. I was simply just testing the theory, but I've also never truly had a stall. I'm also on a low carb diet and I see weight loss every day, even if it's only 0.2 lbs. When I first started my weight loss journey I was 240 lbs and now I'm a few lbs away from breaking into the 160's. The entire time I've drank diet pop or sugar free drink mixes that have aspartame in it.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I think it's going to vary from individual to individual. I drink 1-2 cans of Diet Mt Dew a day and since I've joined MFP almost 3 weeks ago, I'm down 10.8 lbs, and I lost 8 lbs prior to joining. Some people are more sensitive to aspartame than others. I've tried cutting it out completely before and I saw no difference in my weight loss progress. I was simply just testing the theory, but I've also never truly had a stall. I'm also on a low carb diet and I see weight loss every day, even if it's only 0.2 lbs. When I first started my weight loss journey I was 240 lbs and now I'm a few lbs away from breaking into the 160's. The entire time I've drank diet pop or sugar free drink mixes that have aspartame in it.

Good post, congrats on your weight loss so far :)
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Years ago I have had a physician tell me that aspartame attacks the surface of the brain over time. I avoid it like the plague.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I don't consume aspartame or MSG because both of those make me feel like crap, not exactly sure why.

There have been studies about aspartame and weight gain, and I've seen it blown way out of proportion. For example, here's an article titled "Artificial Sweeteners Cause Greater Weight Gain than Sugar, Yet Another Study Reveals"

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx

It states that aspartame makes you fat............. Then you look at the study they reference and the study is done on rats, no humans, and states:

"It has been suggested that the use of nonnutritive sweeteners (NNSs) can lead to weight gain, but evidence regarding their real effect in body weight and satiety is still inconclusive."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666312004138

I see a lot of doctors get lazy and read these articles, but not the actual research and give a bunch of false information to their patients.

Bet me to those links. Just want to add that some people that were diagnosed with MS actually have been taking too much aspartame. One of them was a close friend of mine. She drank about 5 litres of diet coke a day, eat mostly processed foods and take away. She also couldn't get pregnant. Doctors asked her to cut down on diet coke and eat more home cooked food but not to do both at the same time, do it gradually. They re did the test for MS and no MS!! She also got pregnant and had a baby. That was before she changed her food habits.
  • maineapple
    Options
    maineapple wrote: »
    Years ago I have had a physician tell me that aspartame attacks the surface of the brain over time. I avoid it like the plague.

The physician that told me this was a radiologist who reads x-rays and all other types of imaging studies. At the time I was working as an MRI technologist so was scanning people's brains daily. It gave me the creeps and scared me. We only have one brain so we better take good care of it! Lol.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options

The physician that told me this was a radiologist who reads x-rays and all other types of imaging studies. At the time I was working as an MRI technologist so was scanning people's brains daily. It gave me the creeps and scared me. We only have one brain so we better take good care of it! Lol.

Did this doctor give you any legitimate research to back up his/her claim?

eta: the neurologist David Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain, says it's evil gluten that's rotting our brains, not aspartame. And round and round we go :p
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    I don't consume aspartame or MSG because both of those make me feel like crap, not exactly sure why.

There have been studies about aspartame and weight gain, and I've seen it blown way out of proportion. For example, here's an article titled "Artificial Sweeteners Cause Greater Weight Gain than Sugar, Yet Another Study Reveals"

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx

It states that aspartame makes you fat............. Then you look at the study they reference and the study is done on rats, no humans, and states:

"It has been suggested that the use of nonnutritive sweeteners (NNSs) can lead to weight gain, but evidence regarding their real effect in body weight and satiety is still inconclusive."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666312004138

I see a lot of doctors get lazy and read these articles, but not the actual research and give a bunch of false information to their patients.

Bet me to those links. Just want to add that some people that were diagnosed with MS actually have been taking too much aspartame. One of them was a close friend of mine. She drank about 5 litres of diet coke a day, eat mostly processed foods and take away. She also couldn't get pregnant. Doctors asked her to cut down on diet coke and eat more home cooked food but not to do both at the same time, do it gradually. They re did the test for MS and no MS!! She also got pregnant and had a baby. That was before she changed her food habits.

Good grief-that's 14 cans of soda a day! I don't know how you could physically even do that-you'd spend the whole day in the bathroom peeing :* Yeah, anything in extreme amounts is going to cause issues-you can die drinking too much water for example. But you can't compare what your friend was doing, with someone who's drinking diet soda in moderation. I drink 2-4 cans of diet soda a day and have had no issues at all.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    @Sarasmaintaining, just what I was pointing out. Anything that is taken into extreme quantities can do harm. I try not too take too much aspartame and MSG but its in everything and under different names. It can even be found in protein shakes. I hear people saying they only give their kids water cos there is sweeteners in everything. What happened to milk and natural fruit juices?
    Oh a little of anything doesn't hurt!

OP cardio..... is for heart, diet....... is for food. They dont deal with the same organs or issues facing the organs. Advise do your own research. If its just a little then its ok but a lot........well try it and see for yourself.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options
    double post
  • maineapple
    Options

No. This was a while back, but I respect this physician's opinion because he was avoiding it himself at that time and he was very well read, highly educated, and a very experienced radiologist. Similar to Sara's above post, the other radiologists that I was working with at the time (same hospital) also said that there had been a sizable increase in positive MRI scans demonstrating plaques on the brain that resembled MS plaques. The radiologists (MD's) indicated that this was not MS, but the patients had similar symptoms as MS and had been linked to the increase in consumption of aspartame.

This information came from informal discussions with these doctors while looking over MRI images, but the sources of the information were not shared in these discussions. I would imagine if someone had some time and particular interest in this topic, researching it could yield some more specific findings etc.

There is so much in the literature such as to avoid this, avoid that...and for some things, I am not willing to give them up regardless of what they say (e.g., real butter for example). But for something like aspartame, that could potentially be affecting my brain, for me that was an easy one to avoid. I have stayed away from it for 20+ years. I don't care if nothing is actually found to be wrong with it over time, personally I am not willing to wait and see when it comes to my brain.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    @Sarasmaintaining, just what I was pointing out. Anything that is taken into extreme quantities can do harm. I try not too take too much aspartame and MSG but its in everything and under different names. It can even be found in protein shakes. I hear people saying they only give their kids water cos there is sweeteners in everything. What happened to milk and natural fruit juices?
    Oh a little of anything doesn't hurt!

OP cardio..... is for heart, diet....... is for food. They dont deal with the same organs or issues facing the organs. Advise do your own research. If its just a little then its ok but a lot........well try it and see for yourself.

Ah, gotcha :)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    get a new Doctor one who understands science would be useful.

I would advise the opposite OP. Keep your doctor.

"Understands science" seems to have different meanings depending on who you are. As a general observation, I see many people on here throw phrases around like "because science" or "do you science?" when referring to reductionist principles that they learned in grade school or high school or first year university that conveniently explains all the facts of life and allows people to high five others on the forum when "debunking" others with substantial professional expertise in health care who have responsibilities and mandates to be up to date on current evidence/science far beyond the level of those who are high fiving.

Instead of using the suggested reductionist principles to make your decisions OP, I suggest that it is better to ASK your doctor why he/she advised what he/she advised. Ask him or her to show you the evidence, or to recount any experience with patients that may have led them to prescribe such advice. In other words, at least get more info from this doctor/source that may in fact be willing to keep an open mind regarding emerging science.

Just realize that those reductionist principles we all learn at the basic levels of education are meant as a platform to build additional knowledge upon. They are NOT by any means a solution to problems in the real world.

Or at the very least, when you see someone on a forum throwing down a "because science", ask them what THEIR working knowledge/expertise is about science, and how much clinical relevance it has in the real world.

nu uh cuz science
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options

No. This was a while back, but I respect this physician's opinion because he was avoiding it himself at that time and he was very well read, highly educated, and a very experienced radiologist. Similar to Sara's above post, the other radiologists that I was working with at the time (same hospital) also said that there had been a sizable increase in positive MRI scans demonstrating plaques on the brain that resembled MS plaques. The radiologists (MD's) indicated that this was not MS, but the patients had similar symptoms as MS and had been linked to the increase in consumption of aspartame.

This information came from informal discussions with these doctors while looking over MRI images, but the sources of the information were not shared in these discussions. I would imagine if someone had some time and particular interest in this topic, researching it could yield some more specific findings etc.

There is so much in the literature such as to avoid this, avoid that...and for some things, I am not willing to give them up regardless of what they say (e.g., real butter for example). But for something like aspartame, that could potentially be affecting my brain, for me that was an easy one to avoid. I have stayed away from it for 20+ years. I don't care if nothing is actually found to be wrong with it over time, personally I am not willing to wait and see when it comes to my brain.

I would be curious to know why the doctor thought it was due to aspartame and not a million other things? I have done a bit of looking into this subject and I couldn't find any legitimate research that said humans that consume aspartame are at a greater risk for health issues?

I edited my post after you quoted it, but I recently read Grain Brain, written by a neurologist. He believes its gluten, even gluten in things like whole grains, that's the cause for all our brain issues. So, yeah who do we actually believe?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Here's some actual analysis based on actual scientific study.
    examine.com/faq/does-diet-soda-inhibit-fat-loss.html

examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you.html

examine.com/faq/does-aspartame-increase-appetite.html
    And, to be in before anyone cries "but the soda industry shills", the same site has this: v6.examinecdn.com/erd/sneakpeek7.pdf
    Which is a long diatribe calling out food industries rigging research, in particular, Coca Cola!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    That's the exact same logic anti-vaxxers use, and it's the reason why kids are dying in first-world countries of preventable diseases. If the science isn't there to support it, I don't believe it. In this case, it's not even a matter of "we don't know because there haven't been enough studies done"; to the contrary, people have actively been studying the effects of aspartame for over three decades now and STILL haven't found it to be harmful. If that's not convincing enough, I don't know what is.
    This, so much. Adding you to my mental list of pro-science posters / posters I like on the MFP boards.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »

Stevia is the same sort of processed food, and it is possibly even worse than them all!!

SURE....because you say so.

No, because science does.
  • Beneita
    Beneita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Artificial sugar is poison to our bodies....proven link to Dementia and other brain function , the list goes on... study up!
This discussion has been closed.