How can I get off the sugar?

Options

Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Lol. Nice try.

... But I think a significant number of people would score 4+ on every question if you substitute 'eating [sugary thing]' for 'petting dog'...
    You see how it's different from just "I really really like doughnuts and sometimes have more than I should"?

I know this first-hand, because I really really like beer, wine, short-ribs and my mamma's homemade meatballs, but the answer to all those questions would be 'never' if they were applied to any of those things.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Addiewe wrote: »
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity.
    "he's addicted to computers"
    synonyms: devoted to, obsessed with, fixated on, dedicated to, fanatical about, passionate about, enamored of, a slave to
    I have to presume that you know perfectly well that that isn't the sense in which the word is being used here.

Different definitions to different people. Also, why does it even matter? Nitpicking so you can feel superior? I stand by my opinion that it is not at all helpful.

SMH. I should have known better than to even open this thread let alone respond to it.
    It matters because people are using the term in the same vein as being addicted to narcotics, not like being really eager to watch the new Avengers movie.

Context matters. If I say I need a new mouse for my computer, it doesn't mean I need a rodent, even if someone can paste the definition for a mouse that says a mouse is a rodent.

Why does that bother you so much?
    Because it's a disingenuous waste of time to pretend that people are talking about one thing when you know they're talking about something else.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Why is it that every time someone comes on here and tries to ask for advice on how to cut back on sugar, the sugar-defendants come out and try to convince them not to? Not at all helpful.

OP, I cut back on drinking sugary calories by replacing soda with sweet tea and then little by little each week I've cut back a teaspoon here teaspoon there. My teas now have half the sugar they used to have and still taste sweet enough for me. Just had to go slow. Maybe that something that you can do with your coffee.

Mmmmm........

The op said:
    I'm finding my worst enemy is my coffee/sugar! I do truly believe I'm addicted and how can I get off it

She's not asking about cutting back, she's saying she's addicted to sugar (no such thing) and she wants to get off of it.

Picking apart the term "addicted" is just ridiculous. It is quite clear that all the OP wanted to know is how she could get her sugar intake under control.

I, at many times will refer to soda and sugary snacks as my "addiction". I am smart enough to know that I'm not addicted as one may be with actual drugs, but "addicted" in such a way that I will jones for a cola, obsess over chocolate lava cake, crave gummy candy...

I say that I'm "addicted" to my daughter sweet baby scent, to a certain tv show, to rollercoasters. Arguing the technicality of the word does not help, at all.

Yes, unfortunately these discussions about sugar all go the same way with petty bickering over definitions of addiction and comments about crack, making one's family homeless and giving bjs to tramps.

Call it what you like, but I believe most of us agreed during a similar discussion not too long ago that there is merit, for people who have a problem with sugar, in cutting back on added sugar as much as is humanly possible, at least for a set period of time.

Trying to go straight from having a huge problem to "oh, just have it in moderation" is not always a helpful suggestion for everyone.

Because the problem is only with the people saying use moderation and not the people thinking one sugar has magical powers over another?

You appear to be fixated on this idea that people think one sugar is different than another.
    I don't think anyone believes one sugar has magical powers; but what people have experienced is that foods with a high concentration of sugar (even in small amounts) have a very different effect on them than foods with a low concentration of sugar that is also offset by some fibre.

Oh really? You're going to try and say many people here don't believe that about sugar? You know it is said all the time.

People differentiate between eating natural foods such as fruit, and what's referred to as "added" sugar, because the concentration of sugar is normally much higher in the latter. I don't believe they think it's a different type of sugar.

Bold part: nope, not always. ;)

And, no, I see where people actually do believe that added and natural sugars are two different things.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    nvmroz wrote: »
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    synonyms: devoted to, obsessed with, fixated on, dedicated to, fanatical about, passionate about, enamored of, a slave to
    I have to presume that you know perfectly well that that isn't the sense in which the word is being used here.

Different definitions to different people. Also, why does it even matter? Nitpicking so you can feel superior? I stand by my opinion that it is not at all helpful.

SMH. I should have known better than to even open this thread let alone respond to it.

LOL. I'm with you. Private messages from me from now on. Sometimes people just need to tear into others to feel better. It is a sad existence. I think they mean well. I think. I really do believe deep inside they men well. But 's you said... Telling someone who feels they eat way too much sugar and is asking for advice on bringing that down to just go moderate isn't helpful for all. Some maybe. But not all.

Wait, just because someone questions someone else on their perspective does not mean they are "tearing into" them. The OP is not asking for ways to cut down/ moderate sugar, she is asking how to cut it out because she thinks she's addicted. That's a whole different ballgame.

Moderation is key. Some people find it helpful to refrain from eating certain types of food for awhile until they get moderation under control, but to say you are addicted and want to just cut something out is extreme.
  • AmorAguacate
    AmorAguacate Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/

LOL. I'm with you. Private messages from me from now on. Sometimes people just need to tear into others to feel better. It is a sad existence. I think they mean well. I think. I really do believe deep inside they men well. But 's you said... Telling someone who feels they eat way too much sugar and is asking for advice on bringing that down to just go moderate isn't helpful for all. Some maybe. But not all.

Wait, just because someone questions someone else on their perspective does not mean they are "tearing into" them. The OP is not asking for ways to cut down/ moderate sugar, she is asking how to cut it out because she thinks she's addicted. That's a whole different ballgame.

Moderation is key. Some people find it helpful to refrain from eating certain types of food for awhile until they get moderation under control, but to say you are addicted and want to just cut something out is extreme.

Oh dear! Yes and yes and yes. Agree with all! Here is where we disagree, and it is not even a huge disagreement, if she thinks she is addicted, in whatever way she decides to use that word, whether it is a biochemical process or a perceived psychological or even emotional need, what does it matter? As far as I am concerned here is someone trying to make a change. A largely and probably real change in her life. She asks for tips. I will give her mine. And it is extreme. You are right. Some people are better at mastering all moderation and are lords over all their consumption. The majority are not. I'm not. Should I be? Of course. Is it a goal. Yes! Am I better than ever? Yes! Did I start out extreme because that is what it took for me? Absolutely. And if it still helps me to abstain as much as I can from self determined foods of greater sugar content then I will continue to do this. Good nutrition is a floating bullseye. The data continuously accruing, opinions changing, and I continue to reformat and rethink my own and hope never to be done. I'm enjoying the journey. And so is my body and my physiology.

We are not as divergent as you wish to believe.

But yes I do believe there is such a thing as posting etiquette. And it is ever more difficult to witness.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/

Oh dear! Yes and yes and yes. Agree with all! Here is where we disagree, and it is not even a huge disagreement, if she thinks she is addicted, in whatever way she decides to use that word, whether it is a biochemical process or a perceived psychological or even emotional need, what does it matter?
    Because psychological and emotional needs can be eliminated or adjusted without resorting to the methods typically called for with biochemical addiction. There's also an element of personal responsibility and empowerment involved when the issue at hand is your emotional needs as opposed to a true addiction.

Emotional needs and biochemical dependence are different problems with different solutions. That's why it matters.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/

Oh dear! Yes and yes and yes. Agree with all! Here is where we disagree, and it is not even a huge disagreement, if she thinks she is addicted, in whatever way she decides to use that word, whether it is a biochemical process or a perceived psychological or even emotional need, what does it matter?
    Because psychological and emotional needs can be changed or adjusted without resorting the methods typically called for with biochemical addiction. There's also an element of personal responsibility and empowerment involved when the issue at hand is your emotional needs as opposed to a true addiction.

Emotional needs and biochemical dependence are different problems with different solutions. That's why it matters.

Yep. True. And if she wants to start by working on a small portion or manifestation of the problem then she should do it. And just to clarify your advice to her is.... I don't remember if you posted one. Could you reiterate.
  • SLLRunner
    edited May 2015
    Options

But yes I do believe there is such a thing as posting etiquette. And it is ever more difficult to witness.

You are projecting your own belief ;)

Posting etiquette does not mean enabling and agreeing.

• DeguelloTex
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/

Because psychological and emotional needs can be changed or adjusted without resorting the methods typically called for with biochemical addiction. There's also an element of personal responsibility and empowerment involved when the issue at hand is your emotional needs as opposed to a true addiction.

Yep. True. And if she wants to start by working on a small portion or manifestation of the problem then she should do it. And just to clarify your advice to her is.... I don't remember if you posted one. Could you reiterate.
    Based solely off her OP and not knowing anything else about her and her diet, I'd advise her to use whichever zero-calorie artificial sweetener she thinks tastes the best in her coffee in place of the sugar in her coffee.

• AmorAguacate
    Options

I don't mind disagreement. But some comments did feel over the line. Insinuating someone is dum or not on your level is not disagreeing. It is rude. Talking down to people is not disagreeing. I think we could agree on that. I really don't mind disagreement at all. You didn't make any such comments. You posted your opinion and view which I agree with btw. And I'm sure those who did escalate will just say "well just cause you feel it's talking down doesn't mean it is." Communication is a two-way street as is understanding. So... No-it really is not just about taking it the wrong way. But actually... I don't care lol. Because unfortunately some attitudes stand in front of brilliant points that never fully have their intended Impact.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    It's only rude when other people do it.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options

I don't mind disagreement. But some comments did feel over the line. Insinuating someone is dum or not on your level is not disagreeing. It is rude. Talking down to people is not disagreeing. I think we could agree on that. I really don't mind disagreement at all. You didn't make any such comments. You posted your opinion and view which I agree with btw. And I'm sure those who did escalate will just say "well just cause you feel it's talking down doesn't mean it is." Communication is a two-way street as is understanding. So... No-it really is not just about taking it the wrong way. But actually... I don't care lol. Because unfortunately some attitudes stand in front of brilliant points that never fully have their intended Impact.

Okay so your are complaining about people being, do you think this was rude?
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I'm still confused. So eating sugary banana bread made you high and made you crave it. The low sugar banana bread didn't make you high. So you ate more low sugar banana bread to make sure that you weren't getting high? And you concluded that a 179 Cal donut made you feel bad too.

The stuff I read on here....

Yeah. It is too bad you don't get it.

Yes it was in response to a post so let's get the whole story.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options

Okay so your are complaining about people being, do you think this was rude?
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I'm still confused. So eating sugary banana bread made you high and made you crave it. The low sugar banana bread didn't make you high. So you ate more low sugar banana bread to make sure that you weren't getting high? And you concluded that a 179 Cal donut made you feel bad too.

The stuff I read on here....

Yeah. It is too bad you don't get it.

Yes it was in response to a post so let's get the whole story.
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/

Based solely off her OP and not knowing anything else about her and her diet, I'd advise her to use whichever zero-calorie artificial sweetener she thinks tastes the best in her coffee in place of the sugar in her coffee.

I think that's sound advice. Let's hope it helps. May she be successful in her journey. I tried that. Didn't work for me but that doesn't matter. Everyone is different. It's a tool to start working on better health.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How to cut it out totally?

Willpower that is all it takes.

I know i did and had to. I did it cold turkey. No added sugar for me. so yes i eat all the fruit i want lol
    And now 7.5 months later, i add some sugar if needed or wanted to to dishes.

And when i want to i eat a snicker bar i will. Or add honey to my tea. As long as my body accept it well enough. Still because of my medical issue with it i have to watch it.

But sugar isn't bad
    What is bad is TOO MUCH of anything your body cant have.
    So moderation.

For me this means i cant have much sugar so my determination to not destroy my body and get more and dangerous health issue made me cut it out.

This is for every person different, the situation you live in, the circumstances, your body reactions and your personality.
    How much willpower do you have?

So for me no bad or good foods, even do sugar is bad for me, this doesn't mean it is bad for somebody else.

Its your life, your body. If you want to be healthier and your reaction to sugar is bad, then you know what to do. When you dont have bad reaction i dont see the point to cutting it out.
    Then moderation is your biggest friend. But that is for all the food you take in.

So for weight loss you only need a deficit
    The rest you do, like cutting out sugar is willpower...there are no tricks to it.

Your life, your body, your destination and goals is what you need to keep in mind.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/

Yes, and if that's how someone uses it, no one cares.

But quite commonly we get assertions that sugar is just like (or worse than) heroin, etc., which is super dumb and untrue.

OP did not say that, however.

The other reason these threads go off track is that the OP tends not to be specific about whatever her struggle is and the answer is kind of obvious (just eat less) and the more helpful advice depends on what she's finding hard about it. Too often people buy into the ridiculous rhetoric about "sugar addiction" that's all over the place and assume that if they are tempted to overeat sweet things they must be addicts and deal with the addiction when the real answer is to think about the circumstances in which the overeating or temptations are happening and address those.

Here, OP got good advice about gradually cutting down her sugar in her coffee and using artificial sweeteners, and it was pointed out that a teaspoon of sugar really doesn't have that many calories if you want to keep a little of it. She also got really good advice about logging and seeing where the sugar (and extra calories) in her diet is coming from and then cutting down on those things. That's what helped me--once I paid attention to my diet it was really easy to find ways to cut calories that were pretty painless and made a huge difference. It also could help her see if there's a particular time of day when she's most likely to overconsume sugar and then come up with some stratgies to work on that.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    tash754 wrote: »
    i have just recently decided enough is enough, I need to lose the excess weight! I am the biggest I have ever been, from the tracking I am doing, I'm finding my worst enemy is my coffee/sugar! I do truly believe I'm addicted and how can I get off it? Any tips or advice? Plz feel free to friend me to chat

Do you feel "addicted" to your coffee, or sugar in general? I went from drinking lattes to using just Splenda, but I did it in stages:
    -coffee, full fat/sugar creamer
    -coffee, no sugar creamer
    -coffee, skim milk and Splenda
    -coffee, Splenda

Cutting down on sugar is a great idea if it helps you with calorie control (that's what I've done to lose 58 pounds--the sugar I consume is worth it to me). But as the more sensible posters above have pointed out, you do not need to cut it out entirely, nor do you need to imbue it with magical addictive powers. You are stronger than this. Find another way to get a dopamine hit in the morning, like exercise or good music.