Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Addiewe wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Why is it that every time someone comes on here and tries to ask for advice on how to cut back on sugar, the sugar-defendants come out and try to convince them not to? Not at all helpful.

OP, I cut back on drinking sugary calories by replacing soda with sweet tea and then little by little each week I've cut back a teaspoon here teaspoon there. My teas now have half the sugar they used to have and still taste sweet enough for me. Just had to go slow. Maybe that something that you can do with your coffee.

Mmmmm........

The op said:
    I'm finding my worst enemy is my coffee/sugar! I do truly believe I'm addicted and how can I get off it

She's not asking about cutting back, she's saying she's addicted to sugar (no such thing) and she wants to get off of it.

Picking apart the term "addicted" is just ridiculous. It is quite clear that all the OP wanted to know is how she could get her sugar intake under control.

I, at many times will refer to soda and sugary snacks as my "addiction". I am smart enough to know that I'm not addicted as one may be with actual drugs, but "addicted" in such a way that I will jones for a cola, obsess over chocolate lava cake, crave gummy candy...

I say that I'm "addicted" to my daughter sweet baby scent, to a certain tv show, to rollercoasters. Arguing the technicality of the word does not help, at all.

Yes, unfortunately these discussions about sugar all go the same way with petty bickering over definitions of addiction and comments about crack, making one's family homeless and giving bjs to tramps.

Call it what you like, but I believe most of us agreed during a similar discussion not too long ago that there is merit, for people who have a problem with sugar, in cutting back on added sugar as much as is humanly possible, at least for a set period of time.

Trying to go straight from having a huge problem to "oh, just have it in moderation" is not always a helpful suggestion for everyone.

Because the problem is only with the people saying use moderation and not the people thinking one sugar has magical powers over another?

You appear to be fixated on this idea that people think one sugar is different than another.
    I don't think anyone believes one sugar has magical powers; but what people have experienced is that foods with a high concentration of sugar (even in small amounts) have a very different effect on them than foods with a low concentration of sugar that is also offset by some fibre.
  • AmorAguacate
    AmorAguacate Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    kowajenn wrote: »
    Just cut out added sugar. Regardless of the "calorie is a calorie" people, your body doesn't need sugar to excess. Fruit is fine.

Who is talking about excess? No one here is advocating eat sugar out of the bag with a spoon. And sugar is sugar. A calorie is a calorie. If it isn't a calorie then what is it.

I'm also not surprised we have another member with your stance and no profile. As usual.
    Why is it that every time someone comes on here and tries to ask for advice on how to cut back on sugar, the sugar-defendants come out and try to convince them not to? Not at all helpful.

OP, I cut back on drinking sugary calories by replacing soda with sweet tea and then little by little each week I've cut back a teaspoon here teaspoon there. My teas now have half the sugar they used to have and still taste sweet enough for me. Just had to go slow. Maybe that something that you can do with your coffee.

Mmmmm........

The op said:
    I'm finding my worst enemy is my coffee/sugar! I do truly believe I'm addicted and how can I get off it

She's not asking about cutting back, she's saying she's addicted to sugar (no such thing) and she wants to get off of it.

Picking apart the term "addicted" is just ridiculous. It is quite clear that all the OP wanted to know is how she could get her sugar intake under control.

I, at many times will refer to soda and sugary snacks as my "addiction". I am smart enough to know that I'm not addicted as one may be with actual drugs, but "addicted" in such a way that I will jones for a cola, obsess over chocolate lava cake, crave gummy candy...

I say that I'm "addicted" to my daughter sweet baby scent, to a certain tv show, to rollercoasters. Arguing the technicality of the word does not help, at all.

Yes, unfortunately these discussions about sugar all go the same way with petty bickering over definitions of addiction and comments about crack, making one's family homeless and giving bjs to tramps.

Call it what you like, but I believe most of us agreed during a similar discussion not too long ago that there is merit, for people who have a problem with sugar, in cutting back on added sugar as much as is humanly possible, at least for a set period of time.

Trying to go straight from having a huge problem to "oh, just have it in moderation" is not always a helpful suggestion for everyone.

I felt the same way and it got me started so I am happy it lured me into the nutrition research I needed to do to continue my journey.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    nvmroz wrote: »
    I don't have a problem
    Than
    @nvmroz If you don't want to eat sugar, don't eat sugar. Have at it. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong or evil about sugar or that the videos you mention are anything except pseudo-scientific nonsense.

Insightful. Thank you.
    My advice was for the person who started the thread. And actually she did want to cut ter sugar back.
    If you want to eat large quantities of sugar then eat large quantities of sugar. "Have it. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong or evil" about not eating sugar in large quantities.
    And those videos did help me on my journey- sorry if that bothers you but it is what it is. It helped me start. And since the poster was asking for tips... Well that's that.

Glad your journey has landed you at the pinnacle of scientific truth. Congratulations.
    Peace out.
    It doesn't bother me that the videos helped you. Crystal pyramids help some people. What bothers me is the foisting of intellectual garbage in the guise of "hey, we don't know everything."

The videos you link have been thoroughly debunked. If debunked "science" motivates you, that's your problem. It doesn't need to be made someone else's problem by letting them be recommended as if they bear any relationship to reality.

I didn't write anything about the merits or lack thereof of cutting back sugar. I wrote only about the egregiously bad links you posted in support of cutting back.

I don't have a problem :smile:

But thanks for caring.

Debunked by another opinion. I see. I get it now.
    No, I don't think you do.

They've been debunked using scientific principles. Opinions don't debunk. You can't debunk something by having a different opinion.

If you believe that's how science works or that Fed Up is based on science then, yeah, you do have a problem, whether you are able to recognize it or not.

You have no idea where I am on my journey. I have no notion of yours. We probably have closer views than you think. But the topic here was advice for someone who wants to cut their sugar. So yes- shared some which helped me in a similar endeavor. And I think they probably appreciate that.

Someone has posted a nice link with an opposing view. I'm sure you have several. Your posts would have an entirely different tone if you tempered them with some and avoided the personal assaults on other people of whom you know nothing.
    Show me a personal assault I made.

Asserting I had a problem.
    Was that supposed to be encouraging or even polite? Because if so it was not. You are assuming things about me. And in spite of all that, I still believe you have some information to share that I could use on my journey and for my adavantage. Because yes-i am still learning on my journey. And I will never stop.
    That's not a personal assault. No, it wasn't supposed to be encouraging or even polite. Sometimes the truth isn't encouraging. That doesn't make it a personal assault.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity.
    "he's addicted to computers"
    synonyms: devoted to, obsessed with, fixated on, dedicated to, fanatical about, passionate about, enamored of, a slave to
    I have to presume that you know perfectly well that that isn't the sense in which the word is being used here.

• AmorAguacate
    Options

Mmmmm........

The op said:

Because the problem is only with the people saying use moderation and not the people thinking one sugar has magical powers over another?

You appear to be fixated on this idea that people think one sugar is different than another.
    I don't think anyone believes one sugar has magical powers; but what people have experienced is that foods with a high concentration of sugar (even in small amounts) have a very different effect on them than foods with a low concentration of sugar that is also offset by some fibre.

Thank you.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    brb adding fiber to everything to make it magical
  • AmorAguacate
    Options
    I don't have a problem
    Than
    @nvmroz If you don't want to eat sugar, don't eat sugar. Have at it. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong or evil about sugar or that the videos you mention are anything except pseudo-scientific nonsense.

Insightful. Thank you.
    My advice was for the person who started the thread. And actually she did want to cut ter sugar back.
    If you want to eat large quantities of sugar then eat large quantities of sugar. "Have it. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong or evil" about not eating sugar in large quantities.
    And those videos did help me on my journey- sorry if that bothers you but it is what it is. It helped me start. And since the poster was asking for tips... Well that's that.

Glad your journey has landed you at the pinnacle of scientific truth. Congratulations.
    Peace out.
    It doesn't bother me that the videos helped you. Crystal pyramids help some people. What bothers me is the foisting of intellectual garbage in the guise of "hey, we don't know everything."

The videos you link have been thoroughly debunked. If debunked "science" motivates you, that's your problem. It doesn't need to be made someone else's problem by letting them be recommended as if they bear any relationship to reality.

I didn't write anything about the merits or lack thereof of cutting back sugar. I wrote only about the egregiously bad links you posted in support of cutting back.

But thanks for caring.

They've been debunked using scientific principles. Opinions don't debunk. You can't debunk something by having a different opinion.

If you believe that's how science works or that Fed Up is based on science then, yeah, you do have a problem, whether you are able to recognize it or not.

You have no idea where I am on my journey. I have no notion of yours. We probably have closer views than you think. But the topic here was advice for someone who wants to cut their sugar. So yes- shared some which helped me in a similar endeavor. And I think they probably appreciate that.

Someone has posted a nice link with an opposing view. I'm sure you have several. Your posts would have an entirely different tone if you tempered them with some and avoided the personal assaults on other people of whom you know nothing.

Was that supposed to be encouraging or even polite? Because if so it was not. You are assuming things about me. And in spite of all that, I still believe you have some information to share that I could use on my journey and for my adavantage. Because yes-i am still learning on my journey. And I will never stop.
    That's not a personal assault. No, it wasn't supposed to be encouraging or even polite. Sometimes the truth isn't encouraging. That doesn't make it a personal assault.

That much was obvious. But thanks for the truth. We were in a pinch here until you bestowed it on us.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options
    I don't have a problem
    Than

Insightful. Thank you.

Peace out.

But thanks for caring.

That article you linked doesn't "debunk" anything.

Just out of interest I followed the link within in that was supposed to prove that Dr Lustig (aka Mr Anti-Sugar) is talking out of his *kitten*. In fact it transpires that the writer (David Katz) completely agrees with Lustig about the dangers of the overconsumption of sugar, and agrees that sugar can be addictive. He just doesn't believe (as Lustig apparently does) that fructose should be singled out for particular blame.

Read it too. Good read.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I don't have a problem
    Than

Insightful. Thank you.

Peace out.

But thanks for caring.

That much was obvious. But thanks for the truth. We were in a pinch here until you bestowed it on us.
    No problem. Sometimes people believe some really silly things.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

Mmmmm........

The op said:

Then, clearly, it isn't the sugar, as sugar, that's the problem, right?

• Chrysalid2014
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    synonyms: devoted to, obsessed with, fixated on, dedicated to, fanatical about, passionate about, enamored of, a slave to
    Nice. I'm addicted to my dog, steaks and tacos.

People love to use the dog-petting example--why not find out if you're actually addicted to petting your dog by answering the following questions. I suspect the answer will be 'no':

1. I feel sluggish or fatigued from excessively petting my dog:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

2. I find myself petting my dog even though I’ve rubbed all the skin off my hands from doing so:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

3. I have had physical withdrawal symptoms such as agitation and anxiety when I cut down on my dog-petting time.
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

4. I have spent time dealing with negative feelings from excessively petting my dog, instead of spending time in important activities such as time with family, friends, work, or recreation:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

5. I worry about cutting down on my dog-petting time:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

6. Issues related to petting my dog decrease my ability to function effectively (daily routine, job/school, social or family activities, health difficulties):
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

7. My behavior with respect to petting my dog causes me significant distress:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

In the past 12 months...

8. I kept petting my dog at the same time of day and the same location despite significant emotional and/or physical problems related to my petting:
    Yes
    No

9. Petting my dog for the same amount of time does not reduce negative emotions or increase pleasurable feelings the way it used to:
    Yes
    No
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    I have to presume that you know perfectly well that that isn't the sense in which the word is being used here.

Different definitions to different people. Also, why does it even matter? Nitpicking so you can feel superior? I stand by my opinion that it is not at all helpful.

SMH. I should have known better than to even open this thread let alone respond to it.

• DeguelloTex
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/

Different definitions to different people. Also, why does it even matter? Nitpicking so you can feel superior? I stand by my opinion that it is not at all helpful.

SMH. I should have known better than to even open this thread let alone respond to it.
    It matters because people are using the term in the same vein as being addicted to narcotics, not like being really eager to watch the new Avengers movie.

Context matters. If I say I need a new mouse for my computer, it doesn't mean I need a rodent, even if someone can paste the definition for a mouse that says a mouse is a rodent.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kowajenn wrote: »
    Just cut out added sugar. Regardless of the "calorie is a calorie" people, your body doesn't need sugar to excess. Fruit is fine.

No....moderate all sugar if you are worried about too much, which would include added and natural sugar.

Cut nothing out unless your doctor tells you to due to a medical condition, and even with diabetes you don't cut out all sugar, you moderate it via cutting down on carbs.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

Mmmmm........

The op said:

Oh really? You're going to try and say many people here don't believe that about sugar? You know it is said all the time.

People differentiate between eating natural foods such as fruit, and what's referred to as "added" sugar, because the concentration of sugar is normally much higher in the latter. I don't believe they think it's a different type of sugar.
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/

It matters because people are using the term in the same vein as being addicted to narcotics, not like being really eager to watch the new Avengers movie.

Context matters. If I say I need a new mouse for my computer, it doesn't mean I need a rodent, even if someone can paste the definition for a mouse that says a mouse is a rodent.

Why does that bother you so much?

• AmorAguacate
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/

LOL. I'm with you. Private messages from me from now on. Sometimes people just need to tear into others to feel better. It is a sad existence. I think they mean well. I think. I really do believe deep inside they men well. But 's you said... Telling someone who feels they eat way too much sugar and is asking for advice on bringing that down to just go moderate isn't helpful for all. Some maybe. But not all.