Why is Shakeology so dang expensive??

Options

Replies

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    cshir wrote: »
    danprin1 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering because I have seen tons of othe meal replacement/protein shakes for much cheaper. Thank you!
    When you actually think about it comes out to $4 a shake. As a meal replacement, that really isn't bad. I'd spend more on my breakfast or lunch normally. It just seems expensive because you're paying up front. I've not used it, I'm not a coach or anything (though I just ordered it recently out of curiosity). I researched it quite a bit and it does have quite a few vitamins and what not that I know I personally don't get in my daily meals. For me, I either don't eat enough or I eat too much and either way I'm not getting the good stuff my body needs so a decent meal replacement shake is the answer because it takes all of the thinking out of it for me. I can make a shake and get what I need.

For $4 I'd rather eat real food :p Today I had wild caught salmon, a bunch of veggies, a serving of cottage cheese and cherries, and all of that cost around $4. I guarantee you it tasted better, had more staying power and had a better nutrient punch than a shakeology 'meal replacement' shake.

Also most people are adding stuff to the shakes, like fruit, which is an added cost.

Definitely agree that a much better meal can be had for $4. I had homemade chicken pesto pasta with asparagus and walnuts for lunch. With a sliced tomato, and some watermelon for dessert, it was much better than a shake.

Not if you're craving a shake.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    its so expensive because you have to spend so much money on them that you cant buy/afford any other food anymore....you will lose weight this way.
    LOL!!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    INB4 all the BB coaches come in to say "Because it's worth it!", "You pay for quality ingredients!", "It costs less than that venti double shot frappe you buy at Starbucks every morning!" and other bullcrap they use to peddle their snake oil.
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There was a diet meal replacement thing that got a bit of traction in my work when someone became a seller (can't remember the name of it, but it was along the lines of Herbalife and Shakeology) and I remember looking at the ingredients and some of them were natural diuretics (dandelion, hawthorn, etc) so really a good chunk of the weight loss was actually just from dehydrating yourself. Unsurprisingly, within a few weeks, the vast majority of people were off it, despite their "great success" of losing like 8lbs in two weeks because they ended up with headaches, fatigue, dizziness, etc. which I am sure was from equal parts dehydration and eating at too severe a calorie deficit. I think that a full day's worth of shakes worked out at 800 calories or so - though, to their (very minor) credit, the booklets did recommend putting fruit and veg into the shakes or eating them separately along with having a light dinner with your last shake, but the girl selling it talked a lot about how you didn't reeeeeeeeally need to do that, especially if you wanted to lose faster.

I don't really have an issue with meal replacements as a whole - I'm certainly not a stranger to having a protein shake with milk and banana blended into it instead of breakfast when I'm in a rush - but there's cheaper ways to do it if you insist on shakes, but I'd be willing to bet that it's probably the least sustainable weight loss method you could do if you replace every meal with a shake, purely because you don't learn how to eat actual food for when you finish losing weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering because I have seen tons of othe meal replacement/protein shakes for much cheaper. Thank you!
    When you actually think about it comes out to $4 a shake. As a meal replacement, that really isn't bad. I'd spend more on my breakfast or lunch normally. It just seems expensive because you're paying up front. I've not used it, I'm not a coach or anything (though I just ordered it recently out of curiosity). I researched it quite a bit and it does have quite a few vitamins and what not that I know I personally don't get in my daily meals. For me, I either don't eat enough or I eat too much and either way I'm not getting the good stuff my body needs so a decent meal replacement shake is the answer because it takes all of the thinking out of it for me. I can make a shake and get what I need.

For $4 I'd rather eat real food :p Today I had wild caught salmon, a bunch of veggies, a serving of cottage cheese and cherries, and all of that cost around $4. I guarantee you it tasted better, had more staying power and had a better nutrient punch than a shakeology 'meal replacement' shake.

Also most people are adding stuff to the shakes, like fruit, which is an added cost.

Definitely agree that a much better meal can be had for $4. I had homemade chicken pesto pasta with asparagus and walnuts for lunch. With a sliced tomato, and some watermelon for dessert, it was much better than a shake.

Why would you crave a shake over a real meal????
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Depends on what kind of shake. Sometimes I prefer to have a protein shake/smoothie, particularly instead of breakfast. Milk, vanilla protein power and a bunch of fruit whizzed up in a blender can be pretty satisfying and tasty.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

ROFL!!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

mega-choc.jpg
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

ROFL!!!!

I think she was being facetious, guys . . .
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I don't know bro, I had this slamming Salted Caramel shake a few months back at this burger spot that was out of this world.

Lol by shake I was thinking shakeolgy
  • lindaloo1213
    edited June 2015
    Options

Do you not believe in treating yourself to anything outside of a regular meal? I kinda hope u do.

And as the person who cooks 100% of the meals in my home Sometimes I just really don't feel like cooking a dang meal. Lol.
  • lindaloo1213
    Options

Do you not believe in treating yourself to anything outside of a regular meal?

Yeah but if I want a "shake", I want something like a milkshake. And some crappy shakeology isn't going to cut that.
    Hey now...i put milk in it. Lol.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Because enough people are willing to overpay for it.

That's it.
  • fltrby09
    fltrby09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's really just a way to make them money.. too much if you ask me I will just still to my special k protein shake.
  • fltrby09
    fltrby09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh and I would like to ask a little bit of everyone for advice. Is the special k challenge a good diet to have or could anyone recommend a diet plan?
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    fltrby09 wrote: »
    Oh and I would like to ask a little bit of everyone for advice. Is the special k challenge a good diet to have or could anyone recommend a diet plan?

You need to start a new thread for this; it will get lost in this one.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    For the same reason that people have been paying big money for snake oil since the beginning of time. They could sell it for much cheaper and still make a profit, but people wouldn't but it because they only believe in its claims if it's expensive.